Arock Bootleg?

Birder66

Got a very bad feeling about a recent purchase - AROCK - DIMPLOMATS - CARDS ON THE TABLE

The label is half peeling off the B-side and the vinyl just doesn't feel right - styrene like.

The Matrix on the A-side has a prominent X and 12-2 963 1000A, B-side 12-2 963 1000A

Am I looking at a boot???

Cheers

Birder66

(8 days til Scilly)

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got a very bad feeling about a recent purchase - AROCK - DIMPLOMATS - CARDS ON THE TABLE

The label is half peeling off the B-side and the vinyl just doesn't feel right - styrene like.

The Matrix on the A-side has a prominent X and 12-2 963 1000A, B-side 12-2 963 1000A

Am I looking at a boot???

Cheers

Birder66

(8 days til Scilly)

No, it's real.

Social source share

Arock records (and Sylvia) are well known for the glue on the labels failing and them falling off.

Sounds 100% Kosher to me.

The glue looks old (if that maks any sense!!), the paper label has that original feel (not glossy) and the printing is pretty spot on - I just had a bad feeling as I pulled it from its sleeve and saw the label coming off.......thanks to both.

www.myspace.com/thecooloff

Social source share

The glue looks old (if that maks any sense!!), the paper label has that original feel (not glossy) and the printing is pretty spot on - I just had a bad feeling as I pulled it from its sleeve and saw the label coming off.......thanks to both.

www.myspace.com/thecooloff

The labels are usually matt & 'brittle' from the glue (I presume) so don't bend it. The glue usually is coffee brown in colour. The raised X is only on one side. (Shrine records were pressed at the same place BTW)

Social source share

The labels are usually matt & 'brittle' from the glue (I presume) so don't bend it. The glue usually is coffee brown in colour. The raised X is only on one side. (Shrine records were pressed at the same place BTW)

you got it in one. makes me feel a lot better. looks unplayed and got it for less than £150 so probably a good deal. lovely tune

Social source share

all records pressed at this pressing plant were prone to labels falling off, shrine releases are notorious for it

Yep, the labels on Joan Moody and Sterling Magee on Sylvia were terrible too. Wouldn't surprise me if Old Town were pressed there as well as they always had dodgy labels too........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

When I got my first copy of this, as it came out of the package there was a flutter of red paper bits to the floor as bits of the label fell off, it looked like the glue had perished the paper.

I gathered all the bits up and hoped to stick them back on but my missus tidied them up :thumbsup: How we laughed about that one.

The copy I have at the mo looks like it has had a copy label done and stuck on the A side, the b side is missing though so I'm quite sure it is real :P

Edited by paultp
Social source share

all records pressed at this pressing plant were prone to labels falling off

For reference, the pressing plant with the raised 'X' and glue-problem was called, Shelley Products Ltd, out of Long Island.

There's a few more details about them (and many other pressing plants, including how to date your records) within the page devoted to US Pressing Plants on my site...quite interesting, though I say it myself!

>>> CLICK HERE TO READ <<<

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep, the labels on Joan Moody and Sterling Magee on Sylvia were terrible too. Wouldn't surprise me if Old Town were pressed there as well as they always had dodgy labels too........

Ian D :thumbsup:

And some of those mid 60's Musicor releases had dodgy labels too - J.B. Troy and Porgy & The Monarchs for example. Probably all from the same plant......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert