Northern Soul Bizarre

Steve G

I have seen some very strange things happening at gigs mentioned in posts in the last few weeks.

- ATB night where the focus is on rare and underplayed sounds and the DJ is pestered to play "The Snake"

- Prince Phillip Mitchell "I'm so happy" described as a "newie"

- another DJ asked to play some northern when "It'll never be over for me" is on

- Trouble playing High Voltage and being told "it's not northern mate"

- a venue with no paying public at all

- claims that DJs will obviously do bookings because they are "well paid" on the northern scene

I know in Herts / Beds we are largely protected from some of the "stranger" elements of the northern scene maybe because most people are happy to have a venue to go to, but what is going on? It all sounds it's gone a bit weird to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have seen some very strange things happening at gigs mentioned in posts in the last few weeks.

- ATB night where the focus is on rare and underplayed sounds and the DJ is pestered to play "The Snake"

- another DJ asked to play some northern when "It'll never be over for me" is on

- claims that DJs will obviously do bookings because they are "well paid" on the northern scene

I know in Herts / Beds we are largely protected from some of the "stranger" elements of the northern scene maybe because most people are happy to have a venue to go to, but what is going on? It all sounds it's gone a bit weird to me :thumbsup:

The Strange World of Northern Soul!

Sorry i couldn,t resist :D

Social source share

I always said i never met a bunch of wierdos like i have on this scene Steve, your goodself excluded of course :D

.............oi, you know we are all NORMAL in Beds & Herts :D

Oh and forgot to tell you, think I have managed to secure "our song" :thumbsup: at the right price so if you're at the next Blue Skies :D

QoFxx

Social source share

.............oi, you know we are all NORMAL in Beds & Herts :D

Oh and forgot to tell you, think I have managed to secure "our song" :D at the right price so if you're at the next Blue Skies :D

QoFxx

The reason most of us got into the scene in the 1st place because we didn,t want to be normal :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

The reason most of us got into the scene in the 1st place because we didn,t want to be normal :thumbsup:

:D:D

you can't call people normal that drive half way around the country staying up allnight dancing and listening to music that in some cases is older than they are :D

Social source share

Interesting stuff!

Can we have more detail/links re some of these stories?

I'm particularly interested in any anecdotes involving Trouble, as they are always entertaining. Did his detractor really call him "mate"? :D

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yes there is some weirdos about.......I had one guy last year enthuse as Tobi Legend was starting to play 'ohhhhhhh I love the four before eight'.........recently had a rather pissed off punter say as I was playing Brother to Brother - In The Bottle...'This was only just played'......'Ummmmm NO, that was Gil Scott Heron & it was 3 hours ago'.......numptys the scenes abound with them.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Interesting stuff!

Can we have more detail/links re some of these stories?

I'm particularly interested in any anecdotes involving Trouble, as they are always entertaining. Did his detractor really call him "mate"? :lol:

:lol::D:D:D:thumbsup::hypo:

Social source share

I always said i never met a bunch of wierdos like i have on this scene Steve, your goodself excluded of course :D

What??? You're excluding Steve G from being a wierdo?

I thought Steve had a serious fetish for rare, rare, rarer-than-rare pieces of 7" vinyl by artists you've hardly heard of, singing songs you've hardly heard of, on labels you've hardly heard of.

You call that normal? :lol:

I mean, what does he do with 'em when he's at home and no one is watching...............? :D

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not recent, but one of my fave stories about Jerry hippo hipkiss is at a soul night at the Bristol Hotel in Gloucester, Jerry was playing a set, and may have imbibbed a jar or two of ale. A group of young lads (About my age) kept asking him for requests, but not dancing.

one lad went up, and Jerry did a whats now known as a 'Trouble'.

He grabbed the mic and shouted - If you want Tainted Love and Out on the floor go to the Ace of Clubs. This is a ##### Northern Soul night.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Don't think its just recent, although it may have got stranger over the last few years. :lol:

Someone was stupid enough to book me for some spots at local soul nights and the odd small dayer late 80s / early 90s before I flogged my collection. I noticed a change in the audience reaction to lesser played stuff around 93 - 94 onwards, where it also became increasingly common for strange requests. Once I was playing the Majestics and was asked by an angry tash to play some oldies :D This kind of thing happened a few times but I can't recall it happening before 93 / 94.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Obviously hoards and hoards of completely non-soulful divs have infiltrated the "Northern Scene" over the years (shock horror).... Now, I wonder how that could have happened!? :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I always said i never met a bunch of wierdos like i have on this scene Steve, your goodself excluded of course :lol:

You're right Bearsy. I was in Val Shivley's shop once and he told me that all record collectors are a bunch of eccentrics or if they weren't they would become one someday.

About 5 minutes later in comes this guy looking like Santa Claus (and dressed and acted like him) looking for rare soul records - Val didn't bat an eyelid, to him it was just a regular punter.

Edited by kjw
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I always said i never met a bunch of wierdos like i have on this scene Steve, your goodself excluded of course :lol:

I resemble that remark :lol: x

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

one of the wierdest things i ever witnessed at an all-nighter, was a gang of leather clad bikers at a venue in west lothian, scotland. this was late 70's. the bikers just sat in a group watching us dance! that was wierd... :lol:wacko.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert