How Much Do We Think This Will End At?

• Replies 96
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

:D:yes::D some strange story about why there are so few copies as well i think? :lol:

The death from a brain tumour of Junior McCants just as the record was about to be released. Withdrawn and replaced in the King catalogue with a Billy Ward & The Dominoes re-issue.

Could be wrong here, but I think Pat played this covered up on an original acetate which came from John Anderson. This white deejay is extremely scarce: no more than three copies, maybe. For what it's worth the two ballad sides of McCants' singles are extraordinary soul records.

Social source share

Could be wrong here, but I think Pat played this covered up on an original acetate which came from John Anderson. This white deejay is extremely scarce: no more than three copies, maybe. For what it's worth the two ballad sides of McCants' singles are extraordinary soul records.

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

The dance side on the other Junior McCants single, The Boy Needs A Girl, is a tremendous mover. I've often wondered how that would be rated if the rarity of the two records were transposed.

I love Junior McCants' voice, as I am a sucker for male singers with high, but raw voices like Carl Hall.

Social source share

Still played in the late 8ts as Little Carl carlton when played by Gary Spencer who bought Pat Bradys old copy.

garys copy ended up with tim brown via andy dyson.i remember andy having it at the welfare hall

gary spencer was guest dj that night. it was the last time he played it along with don gardner

cairos, springers etc

dave

Social source share

The dance side on the other Junior McCants single, The Boy Needs A Girl, is a tremendous mover. I've often wondered how that would be rated if the rarity of the two records were transposed.

very very highly I would imagine.

what a fantastic cheapie it is though. A ballad and a great uptempo track back to back what more can you ask for ?

Social source share

I love Junior McCants' voice, as I am a sucker for male singers with high, but raw voices like Carl Hall.

I don't know anything about Junior McCants except that he was from Ohio -- you seem to have some info. Do you know if he was at all connected to the McCants family (e.g. incl. James McCants) that were the Harmonics / Chicago Gangsters? They were also from Ohio so it doesn't seem unlikely.

Social source share

Bob:

McCants was from Cincinnati itself I think, and a protog of Charles Spurling: I don't know if that ties him into the Harmonics / Gangsters who were from, if memory serves, Akron.

Ady Croasdell will know more: he wrote quite extensive sleevenotes on the 45 and the McCants story on Kent's King Northern Soul Vol 1 cd.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

copy.

garys copy ended up with tim brown via andy dyson.i remember andy having it at the welfare hall

gary spencer was guest dj that night. it was the last time he played it along with don gardner

cairos, springers etc

dave

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Lifted from John Pugh's interview with Pat Brady from Soulful Kinda Music:

JP: Are there any in particular that you remember how much you paid for them ? At this point I suggest anyone with a weak heart sits down, or turns to the next page

PB: It's funny how they stick in your mind I remember paying £30 for Danny Moore 'Somebody New' on Allrite (625), Johnny Rogers 'Make A Change' on Amen (4619) was £25, The Brooks Brothers 'Looking For A Woman' on Tay (501) was £30, Esther Grant cost me £20, Jimmy & Entertainers 'New Girl Across The Street' £20 well spent and the slightly dearer ones, The Hy-tones 'Don't Even Know Her Name' was £50, and Junior McCants cost £40 for a King acetate.

JP: It's difficult to compare prices between then and now, but it's fair to say they've all gone up a bit since then !

PB: I know it's a bone of contention but I honestly believe that the first record to sell for a thousand pounds pins was Junior McCants, reputedly there's only the acetate plus another vinyl copy which turned up, Tim Brown would probably be able to set the record straight on that.

Social source share

Bob:

McCants was from Cincinnati itself I think, and a protog of Charles Spurling: I don't know if that ties him into the Harmonics / Gangsters who were from, if memory serves, Akron.

Ady Croasdell will know more: he wrote quite extensive sleevenotes on the 45 and the McCants story on Kent's King Northern Soul Vol 1 cd.

Charles Spurling wrote "Try Me For A New Love", and had other releases on King, wonder if he ever recorded it! That would be intresting to hear!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

great tune "tbnag", bugger to dance to tho'. :g:

Social source share

I think this a monumental rare soul record. Would absolutely love to hear it played out at a nighter.....

Have to agree with Gareth the vocals are outstanding and its got that superb distinctive King production....amazing. Also the whole mystique of it what with the singers untimely death ect...

Up there with the very best records imho.

Rarest soul record to appear on ebay maybe? Has the Mello Souls been up for sale on there?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Lifted from John Pugh's interview with Pat Brady from Soulful Kinda Music:

PB: I know it's a bone of contention but I honestly believe that the first record to sell for a thousand pounds pins was Junior McCants, reputedly there's only the acetate plus another vinyl copy which turned up, Tim Brown would probably be able to set the record straight on that.

Tim says 1st £1000 record was Robbie Lawson (Tim sold to Pat)

Social source share

tim brown ended up with pat bradys copy, nigel parker never really played his copy out because he & pat were both residents at bradford queens hall & pat was still playing his copy, the acetate (10 inch) was owned by mark hanson, dont know if he's still got it

Nigel's a member on here, so perhaps he can confirm, but I never thought he had a copy of this; what years did he have one then ?

Social source share

Guest posstot

I remember reading somewhere that Junior died in a motorcycle accident, Can someone confirm or rebute this.

Either way a a touching story. I wonder if his family know of this value to the disc. presuming he has family left with us. Would be good for them to see the sale of the disc.

Social source share

I remember reading somewhere that Junior died in a motorcycle accident, Can someone confirm or rebute this.

Either way a a touching story. I wonder if his family know of this value to the disc. presuming he has family left with us. Would be good for them to see the sale of the disc.

Think the full story was that Junior had some kind of blackout while riding his motorcycle and this eventually led to the discovery of the brain tumour.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Being a long time friend of Gary Spencer,i was lead to believe this to be the only copy of Junior, it was the one from Andreson to Pat and to Gary,Pat continued to play this covered as Little Carl Carlton on a dub.The single was then sold to Tim.

Is this ebay copy only the second one!!!!!!

If i speak to Gary i will confirn this

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Thats what i had heard too...would be good to get a confirmation. As rare as the infamous Frank Wilson then if that is the case!

What other only two known copy records are there?

Frankie Beverley on Rouser?

Two Plus Two??

Just spoken to Gary he is fishing in deepest Cambridgeshire...........he did buy this off Pat for £600.00 on the proviso he did a dub and kept it covered.he carried on playing it for approx another 3/4 yrs before selling it to Tim for approx £3000.00.It was the only copy known....................unless someone on here knows differently!!

Nigel Parker never owned the record,if fact according to Gary when he first played this at the cellar Bar in Stamford Nigel got the right hump and sat in his car outside for about 2 hrs lol.

There was a reference to the Idols on USA earlier,Gary did have this covered as the "soul Bros 6" it was covered up for so long he forgot what the original title was and had to uncover it to jog his memory.

The springers,Don Gardner etc were sold to Tim although not all at the same time,it occured over a period of 18months.

Edited by smudgesmith
Social source share

I don't know anything about Junior McCants except that he was from Ohio -- you seem to have some info. Do you know if he was at all connected to the McCants family (e.g. incl. James McCants) that were the Harmonics / Chicago Gangsters? They were also from Ohio so it doesn't seem unlikely.

bob ,far as i know you're right with the connection.it is the same junior mccants + the harmonics on the track summers love on the dupree logo wich is of course a cleveland ohio label.lemme know if you need any more info .

Social source share

bob ,far as i know you're right with the connection.it is the same junior mccants + the harmonics on the track summers love on the dupree logo wich is of course a cleveland ohio label.lemme know if you need any more info .

Hi Andy. The guy in the harmonics is james mccants, and the harmonics became the chicago gangsters, they were a whole family group of McCants which is why I was suggesting that Junior was related to the family maybe? I thought they were from Akron (or at least dupree says akron on it). Are you saying that James McCants is definitely Junior McCants?

Social source share

Hi Andy. The guy in the harmonics is james mccants, and the harmonics became the chicago gangsters, they were a whole family group of McCants which is why I was suggesting that Junior was related to the family maybe? I thought they were from Akron (or at least dupree says akron on it). Are you saying that James McCants is definitely Junior McCants?

on listening to the dupree 45 i'd be astounded if it isn't the self and same vocalist i just double checked the 2 king ones against the dupree release..

the flip to try me as gareth points out is fantastic indeed..

Social source share

Think the full story was that Junior had some kind of blackout while riding his motorcycle and this eventually led to the discovery of the brain tumour.

After the sessions that produced both sides of the 45's he recorded, Junior on a newly aquired motorbike was giving Charles Spurling a lift across town he suddenly cried out he couldn't see, Charles grabbed the handlebars avioding an accident, taken to hospital Junior was diagnosed with a brain tumour and died shortly after aged 24, the single was then withdrawn from release ( this info lifted from Ady's notes on King Northern Soul: Kent 185)

Social source share

Yes I think thats right Gareth , Little Carl Carlton "Hey Little girl" c/p .What an anthem it was at Stafford :lol:

not sure if i'd like it now, but a fantastic Stafford record at the time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert