Worthy Of Support?

Seeing another post on another thread got me wondering....

Would you / should you let your personal feelings towards another person stop you supporting them, even if they had soul music to die for?..

For instance... would/should a promotor book a DJ that they didn't like, even if said DJ had the tunes ?

Would you still support a DJ if you didn't like that person but they play some of your favourite tunes, or an amazing DJ but a git of a person - would it stop you

dancing, listening etc to the music you love?.... same with venue's I suppose... would you support a venue if they played excellent music but you didn't like

the promotor or DJ's... just wondering what people's limits would be when it comes to hearing the music they love..

:lol:

Jayne.x. (Still avoiding the completion of her month end work)..

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Promoters putting their mates on, surely this doesn't happen. I very much doubt if anyone DOESN'T let their personal feelings towards others influence their choice of D.J.'s - It would me!!

Des Parker

In business and at work you don't have to like people. However, promoters surely aren't going to book someone that they think is a fookin git.

I think they are bound to let their personal feelings get in the way.

:lol:

Social source share

Im not sure that the majority of punters ever get to know the DJs and / or Promoters well enough to make a choice based on 'liking them'.

Maybe more reaction is placed upon music policy/choice/ and the old chestnut of original format/MP3 heaven etc.

Also not sure that being thought of as a nice person, was high on the agenda of those in question. Highest craving I imagine is how to part you from your cash or crave your adulation. 'Oh Lord its hard to be humble' you may hear under the breath.

Ed

Social source share

Promoters putting their mates on, surely this doesn't happen. I very much doubt if anyone DOESN'T let their personal feelings towards others influence their choice of D.J.'s - It would me!!

Des Parker

Aside from folks putting their mates on. Reverse the idea, could you put someone on who you knew your regular's wanted and you knew had excellent records but you thought was an ar$e... ?..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Also not sure that being thought of as a nice person, was high on the agenda of those in question. Highest craving I imagine is how to part you from your cash or crave your adulation. 'Oh Lord its hard to be humble' you may hear under the breath.

Ed

Hmm.. I can imagine.. :lol:

but if your favourite DJ offended you, would you still dance to his spot?... :lol:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Doesn't always work like that though does it Jayne. I'm sure that vocal punters and other DJ's also getting in the ear of the promoter can sometimes have an effect as well. Sad but true.

No, when you think about it, I guess it doesn't, ego's get in the way.

I'm completely torn on this.. I know people who wont attend events if certain Dj's are on.

If my local crowd badgered me to get someone on who I didn't like for whatever reason but I knew they were a good DJ, then I'd book them.... I think!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Aside from folks putting their mates on. Reverse the idea, could you put someone on who you knew your regular's wanted and you knew had excellent records but you thought was an ar$e... ?..

Jayne.x

When I was promoting I never put personal feelings first when it came to selecting DJs...and believe me over the years I had some right w**kers DJ for me...primadonnas who made the DJs in this scene look like they are Humble

But my feeling is on the matter that if they play great records and get punters through the door...I don't care what they are like on a personal level...I thibnk if you limit your options on who you like...especially in the music business...then you are going to struggle on all levels...suppose it's just networking...have hundreds of associates in Manchester...but I could count on one hand the amount of people I trust...you don't have to like the DJs you book...just use them to your advantage.

Social source share

When I was promoting I never put personal feelings first when it came to selecting DJs...and believe me over the years I had some right w**kers DJ for me...primadonnas who made the DJs in this scene look like they are Humble

But my feeling is on the matter that if they play great records and get punters through the door...I don't care what they are like on a personal level...I thibnk if you limit your options on who you like...especially in the music business...then you are going to struggle on all levels...suppose it's just networking...have hundreds of associates in Manchester...but I could count on one hand the amount of people I trust...you don't have to like the DJs you book...just use them to your advantage.

You're a prime case in point, Beeks - I can guarantee you that because of this forum and some of the fuss surrounding you, regardless of it being of your making or what others have said, people wouldn't book you to DJ purely because of it, despite never having met you or know anything about you and regardless of how good a DJ you might be. Not that you'd be bothered in the slightest I suppose, but that can be how it works. All a bit daft really.

Imvho of course. :lol:

Roger

Social source share

You're a prime case in point, Beeks - I can guarantee you that because of this forum and some of the fuss surrounding you, regardless of it being of your making or what others have said, people wouldn't book you to DJ purely because of it, despite never having met you or know anything about you and regardless of how good a DJ you might be. Not that you'd be bothered in the slightest I suppose, but that can be how it works. All a bit daft really.

Imvho of course. :lol:

Roger

You're spot on Roger...I can say almost certainly that a number of Avenues have been closed to me through being outspoken on here...but hey...I can live with that...I will be the first to admit I can come across as a bit of an arse at times online...but i'm happy with the fact that those who have met me in real life from here can see me in a different light :lol:

Social source share

You're spot on Roger...I can say almost certainly that a number of Avenues have been closed to me through being outspoken on here...but hey...I can live with that...I will be the first to admit I can come across as a bit of an arse at times online...but i'm happy with the fact that those who have met me in real life from here can see me in a different light :lol:

That's like a line out of my own autobiography mate!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

You're spot on Roger...I can say almost certainly that a number of Avenues have been closed to me through being outspoken on here...but hey...I can live with that...I will be the first to admit I can come across as a bit of an arse at times online...but i'm happy with the fact that those who have met me in real life from here can see me in a different light :yes:

Arse!

:D

Social source share

Good call!... I prefer to think of it as those who pay their money decide who's on but .. yep.

Jayne.x (Queen of spin!) :D

Social source share

The professional way is to book people purely on merit, but BACK IN THE REAL WORLD......................................................Let's put it another way, would you book someone who "slags" you off, honestly, no B.S.

Des Parker

Slagged me off personally - Yes I'd book 'em. Slagged off the music policy of the venue - no.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

The professional way is to book people purely on merit, but BACK IN THE REAL WORLD......................................................Let's put it another way, would you book someone who "slags" you off, honestly, no B.S.

Des Parker

If it guaranteed to fill my Club? Without doubt :D

Promoting is a thankless task and extremely perilous financially...I don't think you can afford to let personal feelings get in the way...I think it is accentuated even more on the Soul scene...seems like there is 30/40 years of grudges between people on here...and with it being such an insular movement (As there is no fresh influx of people like the mainstream markets) you have no room to pick and chose.

Social source share

Slagged me off personally - Yes I'd book 'em. Slagged off the music policy of the venue - no.

Jayne.x.

I agree with that Jayne and I've done it.

Picking your DJs isn't an exact science, there's a lot of gut reaction in there. I've put on people who don't like me and have occasionally accepted criticism of the club's music (though it hurts). It's the way its done that probably matters. The toughest part of the job is not putting your mates on. A lot of them would be worthy of spots too but there are only so many you can fit in and I try to give most people a chance and will take it from there. It's unfair to a lot of good people, collectors and friends but I think most take it graciously and are happy when they do get the call.

Social source share

If it guaranteed to fill my Club? Without doubt :D

Promoting is a thankless task and extremely perilous financially...

Yeh, but doesn't it feel great when it all goes well.

Sounds like parenting when you think about it!!.. :yes: (Actually - having kids would probably have been less stressful.. LOL )

Jayne.x

Social source share

I think it's admirable to set a professional stance, and possibly one of the reasons why venues like the "100 club" have achieved such longevity, but we all know that "favouritism" is out there.To be frank, It's something I just accept as the norm, and not worth losing any sleep over.

Des Parker

Social source share

I agree with that Jayne and I've done it.

Picking your DJs isn't an exact science, there's a lot of gut reaction in there. I've put on people who don't like me and have occasionally accepted criticism of the club's music (though it hurts). It's the way its done that probably matters. The toughest part of the job is not putting your mates on. A lot of them would be worthy of spots too but there are only so many you can fit in and I try to give most people a chance and will take it from there. It's unfair to a lot of good people, collectors and friends but I think most take it graciously and are happy when they do get the call.

Yep, deffo found the same regarding mates.. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Yeh, but doesn't it feel great when it all goes well.

It gave me more of a buzz seeing a packed club that I promoted than it did DJing a packed club so I agree wholeheartedly :D

Social source share

It is a tough call sometimes... I have had on the odd person who i was not sure about with regards to character, if they did a good job but were real knobs then no way would i have them on again

Don't tend to fall out with many folk but there are some who i would never have the time of day for and that will keep away from at all cost and would never have them dj at my events regardless of how good the tunes they have or reputation...

There are also certain promoters who i have no time for and would not step foot into any place they run :yes: ..

Its about honesty, trust and friendship for me, without that the music aint enough alone to make me do something i don't wanna do..

I know plenty folk who would not let shit like this get to them but that not me....

Would not go and play for any person also that i did not like or respect also, there are enough good folk around...

peace and love xx :D

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

You're spot on Roger...I can say almost certainly that a number of Avenues have been closed to me through being outspoken on here...but hey...I can live with that...I will be the first to admit I can come across as a bit of an arse at times online...but i'm happy with the fact that those who have met me in real life from here can see me in a different light :yes:

Yeah, you're really tall in real life Beeks! :D

It must be hard though, if someones slagged you off, to then book them for your club but then if it puts bums on seats then i guess you'd have to swallow your pride/resist punching them in the face & make the call!

Social source share

Perfectly correct. In real life you're a complete arse not just a bit of an arse :D:yes::D:lol:

Social source share

What about the reverse. A dick head promoter booking you for his club? Someone who doesn't give a flying f--k about you or your music, but thinks or has been told (not even heard you!) that you are flavour of the month?! Would you do it?

Unless you're Fatboy Slim I don't think any DJ is comfortable enough to turn down money...besides...it's not him you're playing for...it's the people through the door...just take his cash and make sure you request a big rider hahaha :D

Social source share

Perfectly correct. In real life you're a complete arse not just a bit of an arse :D:yes::D:lol:

And to think Dave I complimented you on your set...remind me if I eventually start promoting on this scene never to book you...no matter what following you have :lol::lol:

Social source share

Unless you're Fatboy Slim I don't think any DJ is comfortable enough to turn down money...besides...it's not him you're playing for...it's the people through the door...just take his cash and make sure you request a big rider hahaha :yes:

Does that mean you do it for money then....like a 'soul' mercinary? :D

Social source share

It is a tough call sometimes... I have had on the odd person who i was not sure about with regards to character, if they did a good job but were real knobs then no way would i have them on again

Don't tend to fall out with many folk but there are some who i would never have the time of day for and that will keep away from at all cost and would never have them dj at my events regardless of how good the tunes they have or reputation...

There are also certain promoters who i have no time for and would not step foot into any place they run :yes: ..

Its about honesty, trust and friendship for me, without that the music aint enough alone to make me do something i don't wanna do..

I know plenty folk who would not let shit like this get to them but that not me....

Would not go and play for any person also that i did not like or respect also, there are enough good folk around...

peace and love xx :D

I agree with what Steve has said here .... honesty trust and friendship has played a major part in this scene of ours since I first got into it, and thats how it is for me years later, backstabbers dont get a place behind my decks and I certainly wouldnt part with any money going to a venue to see em, regardless of tracks.... when someone for example has the same record 40 miles up the road. Dawn x

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Seeing another post on another thread got me wondering....

Would you / should you let your personal feelings towards another person stop you supporting them, even if they had soul music to die for?..

For instance... would/should a promotor book a DJ that they didn't like, even if said DJ had the tunes ?

Would you still support a DJ if you didn't like that person but they play some of your favourite tunes, or an amazing DJ but a git of a person - would it stop you

dancing, listening etc to the music you love?.... same with venue's I suppose... would you support a venue if they played excellent music but you didn't like

the promotor or DJ's... just wondering what people's limits would be when it comes to hearing the music they love..

:yes:

Jayne.x. (Still avoiding the completion of her month end work)..

with all respect,you don't know this scene at all, have a good look at the events over the next few months,apart from your local back slapping events that for obvious reasons only have their mates on.....There are some great venues that don't have certain dj's...BECAUSE!!!???....personal stuff,jealousy and just plain dislike of one person or another,but this is life,just cause we like soul music don't mean we are gonna like everyone on the scene.I know some folk think we should ,but hey never mind. tezza :D:D

Social source share

I agree with what Steve has said here .... honesty trust and friendship has played a major part in this scene of ours since I first got into it, and thats how it is for me years later, backstabbers dont get a place behind my decks and I certainly wouldnt part with any money going to a venue to see em, regardless of tracks.... when someone for example has the same record 40 miles up the road. Dawn x

Dawny remind me never to get on the wrong side of you :D:yes::D

Social source share

Well said Sister Dawn.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

as a promoter i've booked people to play basics who i don't like personally ......the dj's in question are good and i knew they would be good for the club . doesn't mean i have to like them though

Social source share

What about the reverse. A dick head promoter booking you for his club? Someone who doesn't give a flying f--k about you or your music, but thinks or has been told (not even heard you!) that you are flavour of the month?! Would you do it?

yep, equally good question...

Jayne.

Social source share

with all respect,you don't know this scene at all, have a good look at the events over the next few months,apart from your local back slapping events that for obvious reasons only have their mates on.....There are some great venues that don't have certain dj's...BECAUSE!!!???....personal stuff,jealousy and just plain dislike of one person or another,but this is life,just cause we like soul music don't mean we are gonna like everyone on the scene.I know some folk think we should ,but hey never mind. tezza wink.gif:lol:

Ah, now I didn't say it doesn't happen.... I asked if it should... Because I question this I dont know this scene at all?... :ohmy: OK, if you say so. I dont claim to know the answer's, I just asked the question - should it / would it.....

I wasn't saying anything was right or wrong, I was just wondering what people's thoughts were... :g:

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

when someone for example has the same record 40 miles up the road?.. well that's a slightly different question then and not what I was originally meaning.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert