Willie Kendricks.change Your Ways

Koolkat

I know when this first crossed my ears. Circa 75. But Ive read/gleaned info that this was a lot earlier, I think. I just cant remember. Its always been a top top tune to me. Anyone of you knowledgeable people help me out.

Edited by Koolkat
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yeah, cheers Steve. I knewwwwww that . What I meant was its history on the scene. Doh! Who had it in there mits first ,when and stuff. Mid 60s recording, geddaway. :yes::D

Mecca play, discovered by, er, me! Sold to Tony Jebb for a fiver, to finance my National Express fare home to London, one miserable Sunday night in December '71....

Social source share

Mecca play, discovered by, er, me! Sold to Tony Jebb for a fiver, to finance my National Express fare home to London, one miserable Sunday night in December '71....

As early as that......That is early! Only came to my attention at Wigan, like I say about 75ish. It must have been a sleeper cos I got around 73-75. Mind you I might have been out of it when it was spun. Tee Hee! Still, a top top tune and well done sir for finding that. That must have been before Tony Jebb went to the torch, no? So what are we saying, was it spun at the Torch then? Just interested thats all. Where did you come across the disc?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As early as that......That is early! Only came to my attention at Wigan, like I say about 75ish. It must have been a sleeper cos I got around 73-75. Mind you I might have been out of it when it was spun. Tee Hee! Still, a top top tune and well done sir for finding that. That must have been before Tony Jebb went to the torch, no? So what are we saying, was it spun at the Torch then? Just interested thats all. Where did you come across the disc?

I'd probably had it in my collection for a couple of years, so it wasn't like I had to trawl through boxes of records in a shop or anything. Most of the records I took up for Les and Tony (and later Ian, at whose urging I brought them along anyway) to play were things I'd just bought off lists, or from shops and stalls, in the normal run of things. I just liked that style of soul even before there was a Northern scene, so it turns out that I had a lot of records that were suitable for the budding scene!

If I hadn't taken "Change Your Ways" to the Mecca when i did, I've no doubt that someone else would have done shortly thereafter - it's far too good a record to have stayed hidden for too long!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

had it on a early 70s comp lp for years......only uk release . am i wrong about this folks ? sold lp on here recently for £20 cant remember what it was called tho :D ezzie

No, you're right about that - I think the album's called "Just A Little Bit of Soul" and I also think, actually, that the album might already have been kicking around for a while when I took my 45 to the Mecca for the first time.

'Course, nobody really played albums then, so it was still 'unknown'...

Social source share

No, you're right about that - I think the album's called "Just A Little Bit of Soul" and I also think, actually, that the album might already have been kicking around for a while when I took my 45 to the Mecca for the first time.

The album 'Just A little Bit of Soul' came out in 1969 on RCA International (Camden). As well as Willie Kendricks it has another old Northern 'biggie' the Exciters 'Blowing Up My Mind' and a variety of R&B, funk and deep soul tracks.

Track Listing:

Steve Colt and the 45s - Just A little Bit of Soul

Johnny Nash - I'm Leaving

Rick Lancelot - Nobody Wants To Hear Nobody's Troubles

Willie Kendrick - Change Your Ways

Benny Gordon and the Soul Brothers - A Kiss To Build A Dream On

The Wilson Brothers - Soul Town

The Insiders - I'm Better Off Without You

The Exciters - Blowing Up My Mind

Zerben R. Hicks and the Dynamics - Lights Put

Sam Cooke - Shake

Rose Valentine - When The Heartaches End

Social source share

I'd probably had it in my collection for a couple of years, so it wasn't like I had to trawl through boxes of records in a shop or anything. Most of the records I took up for Les and Tony (and later Ian, at whose urging I brought them along anyway) to play were things I'd just bought off lists, or from shops and stalls, in the normal run of things. I just liked that style of soul even before there was a Northern scene, so it turns out that I had a lot of records that were suitable for the budding scene!

If I hadn't taken "Change Your Ways" to the Mecca when i did, I've no doubt that someone else would have done shortly thereafter - it's far too good a record to have stayed hidden for too long!

was played at the "cats" memory seems to say 71'72'

max..

Social source share

Yeah, cheers Steve. I knewwwwww that . What I meant was its history on the scene. Doh! Who had it in there mits first ,when and stuff. Mid 60s recording, geddaway. :ohmy::g:

Oh sorry - the title on your thread says Eddie kendricks, so I thought you were one of these returnees who'd just heard it at Wigan but couldn't remember who it was. :lol:

Steve

Social source share

I love that record - one of the most energetic northern soul oldies of all time

Another RCA one in the same vein Herb Ward - Honest to goodness

Both these records smack you in the gob.

Yes Herb Ward great record reminds me of Va-Va,s and early Wigan :lol:

Social source share

thats the one, like i said someone on here had it from me recently, after maybe 35 years in my collection,25 years ignored :lol:

Social source share

Oh sorry - the title on your thread says Eddie kendricks, so I thought you were one of these returnees who'd just heard it at Wigan but couldn't remember who it was. :lol:

Steve

Editted Eddie to Willie. Thanks for pointing the error out chaps. Been working the night shift and I was still asleep methinks. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert