Gino Washington - I'm So In Love - Atac

Benji

Played Gino Washington's "I'm so in love" on my iPod this morning. Despite him struggling to hit every note I just fell in love with it! :lol: What a powerful and passionate song, isn't it?

Anyway, if I would try to find a copy how much would I have to pay for it? And would I have to search for a very very long time or are there copies out there?

I tried to answer that myself and came up with:

Q1) 250-ish

Q2) yes

What do you lot think?

TIA

Benji

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Played Gino Washington's "I'm so in love" on my iPod this morning. Despite him struggling to hit every note I just fell in love with it! :lol: What a powerful and passionate song, isn't it?

Anyway, if I would try to find a copy how much would I have to pay for it? And would I have to search for a very very long time or are there copies out there?

Q1) 250-ish

Q2) yes

What do you lot think?

TIA

Benji

Was around for a long time as a 'tape-swappers' sound. A few people on the Northern scene were in touch with Gino over the years and he tended to pass on copies of his newer releases to those who were after his Northern classics from the sixties. This is one such release and a few dealers had quite a few copies. It was generally pretty expensive (seem to remember prices around £100 in the late 80s) and never really had the club spins to back up such a price. Shouldn't be that hard to pick up a copy now. I think Manship is auctioning an acetate of it at the moment.

Can someone remind me what was the title of another Gino 70s release (or it may have been an unreleased acetate) which Rob Thomas used to play a few years ago? That really was an excellent record.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Played Gino Washington's "I'm so in love" on my iPod this morning. Despite him struggling to hit every note I just fell in love with it! :D What a powerful and passionate song, isn't it?

Q1) 250-ish

Q2) yes

What do you lot think?

TIA

Benji

Tim Brown has it at £300.

Social source share

had it on here at £300 no offers at all so it took it to Middleton

yours was an autographed demo, wasn' it? so "unsigned" issue 200/250 max??

anyway, I'm willing to pay a fair price if anyone has a nice copy for me, at least EX condition. Or shall I post it in the Wants section?

BTW, thanks for your replies guys! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Didn't it used to be thought of as an Acetate only track?

Pretty certain Rod Dearlove used to play it as an unreleased thing at Thorne, or am I mistaken?

unsure.gif

Sean

Who knows when Gino actually pressed this up Sean. He was quite an entrepreneurial chap and I can see a scenario where this would have been given to someone on the Northern scene on an acetate to test the water, with the vinyl to follow. I'm sure a few on here like Dave Thorley have been in touch with him a few times over the years.

I still can't remember the title of the Rob Thomas acetate 70s thing but it was tremendous. "So In Love" is a good record, but this other track was extremely good indeed.

Social source share

Didn't it used to be thought of as an Acetate only track?

Pretty certain Rod Dearlove used to play it as an unreleased thing at Thorne, or am I mistaken?

:shades:

Sean

Correct Mr Hampsey! Circa '89/'90

I always thought i would never get it cos of this and only realised a few years later there was actually a 45 of it! I was a happy bunny when i did finally get it that's for sure thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Who knows when Gino actually pressed this up Sean. He was quite an entrepreneurial chap and I can see a scenario where this would have been given to someone on the Northern scene on an acetate to test the water, with the vinyl to follow. I'm sure a few on here like Dave Thorley have been in touch with him a few times over the years.

I still can't remember the title of the Rob Thomas acetate 70s thing but it was tremendous. "So In Love" is a good record, but this other track was extremely good indeed.

it's on Atac 2828 and according to Dave Rimmer's Gino Washington discography #2829 was released in 1975. I guess it was released around 72/73, it definitely sounds like from that period.

But the final question is: WHO'S GOING TO SELL ME A NICE COPY FOR A FAIR PRICE?

Social source share

it's on Atac 2828 and according to Dave Rimmer's Gino Washington discography #2829 was released in 1975. I guess it was released around 72/73, it definitely sounds like from that period.

try Spagehtti think he still has it

Social source share

Guest Adam G

My mate Tomo who is on here as alant has one and we were only discussing it last week. The vinyl looks brand new and he thinks it was pressed up in the recent past as has been discussed. We came to the conclusion that his weak vocal twinned with the off key horns and bad production equals that certain crossover appeal that makes it a great little type of tune we like.

It may be for sale I will try and call him later in case he has missed the thread. I think it may be at the top end though price wise

Adam

Social source share

Hi Benji,

I have a copy here that I would part with.

It's actually Geno Washington and the Davis Sisters - I'm so in love / Flying high #2828

I'm pretty sure my copy is VG+ to EX-. I'd be looking close to the £250 mark (I sold a VG copy for over £200 a few years back).

Let me know and I'll confirm grade etc.

atb

Paul Capon

(Benji gets first offer)

Social source share

My mate Tomo who is on here as alant has one and we were only discussing it last week. The vinyl looks brand new and he thinks it was pressed up in the recent past as has been discussed. We came to the conclusion that his weak vocal twinned with the off key horns and bad production equals that certain crossover appeal that makes it a great little type of tune we like.

It may be for sale I will try and call him later in case he has missed the thread. I think it may be at the top end though price wise

Adam

I must have missed the thread Adam? Are you saying that someone has repressed this recently and it's been counterfeited? ohmy.gif

Hope not :yes:

Social source share

I must have missed the thread Adam? Are you saying that someone has repressed this recently and it's been counterfeited? :thumbsup:

Hope not :shhh:

No doubt this would have been recorded in the early 70s, but Sean's comment about it being touted as an unreleased track at around the time of Thorne got me thinking about the first time I saw a copy of the record: late 80s. Pure speculation but it could have been a case of Gino pressing these himself (as opposed to any kind of counterfeiting) at around that time. Can anyone remember having this 45 in the seventies?

Social source share

Guest carl_p

My copy is a bit used and looks like a typical archer pressing from the 70's. my guess is it was probably just pressed in small quantity's in the 70's though he may have let some go in later years or he possibly he could have had them repressed.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

My mate Tomo who is on here as alant has one and we were only discussing it last week. The vinyl looks brand new and he thinks it was pressed up in the recent past as has been discussed.

I finally got one two weeks ago. My copy was definitely pressed in the early 70s. Maybe Gino pressed up some additional copies in the late 80s/early 90s after enquiries from the UK? Can you ask Tomo (is that Tomo from Middlesbrough?) to post a scan of his copy here so we compare label designs?

We came to the conclusion that his weak vocal twinned with the off key horns and bad production equals that certain crossover appeal that makes it a great little type of tune we like.

Have to agree 100% with you. The production is rather amateur-ish, he misses the right notes every there and then but it's the sheer commitment that comes with the song that makes it so special (at least to me).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert