Broken Records

cloth ears

Mines not an expensive record - but I was still pissed off! :D

Bought a copy of Harold Melvins "Prayin" at a niter at Notts County Footy ground a few years ago. Walking over Lady Bay Bridge on my way home in the morning and for some reason I sort of flicked the cardboard sleeve. The fookin record shot out and frisbeed into the Trent.

:lol:

Fantastic. Human error disasters are always the worst! Almost better than Richard's copy of The Jades which got warped in a chippy!

Ian D :D

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A few years ago the daughter of the lead singer of Soul Bros Inc agreed to sell her last copy of "Pyramid" - she had 5 or 6 copies that her dad had given her to sell and she had been gradually auctioning them off through Ebay.

Well, I paid her for the record and she duly sent it me (Down Under) in nothing more than a paper thin dinner napkin and a standard paper post envelope.

No cardboard covering , no card board box style mailer , no nothing ....

It arrived on my doorstep ... in 16 pieces ...

Kiss goodbye to $700 US ...

Fcuk! I'm glad I didn't accept the one she one offered me! Though I think Rich Buckley got one off her that arrived safe. Perhaps she used her last mailer on his? Amateurs.

Back on topic, I'm sure 90% of my collection broke when the firemen shovelled the charred remains of my fire ravaged room into a wheelie bin. Top that you buggers!

Social source share

Fcuk! I'm glad I didn't accept the one she one offered me! Though I think Rich Buckley got one off her that arrived safe. Perhaps she used her last mailer on his? Amateurs.

Back on topic, I'm sure 90% of my collection broke when the firemen shovelled the charred remains of my fire ravaged room into a wheelie bin. Top that you buggers!

Sean's flood perchance? :lol:

If you're going to include fire than you have to also include water dontcha?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Arcticsoulboy

Well, this is so stupid it takes a bit of guts to admit and I am blushing as I write this... A couple of years back I got a nice M copy of Eddie Holmans´s "Eddies my name". I was well pleased until I noticed it had two labels on one side, the extra label being attached with just a little blotch of glue. Hmm, I shouldn´t rip it off and damage the other label I thought. Inspired by that infomercial on tv about steam cleaning I decided to steam it off.

Out comes the water cooker and off goes the label. And the 45 gets all wobbly and folds in a nice fruit bowl shape. DOH! Not too dear a record, but still very embarassing...

Social source share

I am very often abroad on biz-trips so i always arrange that records are sent to my parents' place in order to avoid waisting time at the post office etc...

anyway, 2 years ago i bought a copy of john bowie - you're gonna miss a good thing - merben and received it together with another parcel (a cheap r&b record).

After returning from a trip I (thought I had) collected the 2 records and left the cardboard boxes at my parents'.

After a couple of hours i received a call from my mother, totally gutted saying "ahm... I think i made something wrong with your records... one of those got cracked while i was bending the cardboard box to put it in the trash bin, but the other is still perfect". I was totally sure i already had the JB with me and the other records i have at my parents' are neither super rare nor expensive. So i asked her "alright, alright what's written on the label?"

"ahhh something like meben, ah no merben, it's a red label" I really felt like dying, only at that moment i realised i had left the JB inside the box as well as the 10$ r&b 7" which of course was immaculate.

only had the chance to look at the record for a few moments and that was it! :thumbsup:

It took a while for me to completely forgive her :P

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

wasn't dave evison's record collection stollen a while back? and has nobody claimed money back from the insurance? :huh::lol:

i myself have had a few whoppers in my time, but not to top any of the above! at least in expense. the john bowie really is a masterpiece...

Social source share

Not a expenxive one but eluded me for an age eventually picked up a mint harold melvin and the bluenotes , get out (and let me cry) same night had the lads around for a few beers then made the classic mistake got my record box out and started to spin some vinyl lots of beers later and with records carelessly abandoned from the safety of there home (record box) ,I attempted a ridiculous bit of soul gymnastics right down on to my mint on landa harold melvin snap in two suprisingly fragile VINYL anyway ive managed to piece record together stuck it in a frame with a dundee soul club flyer on my wall to remind me of what an ass I was

Soulfully Kieran

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert