• Replies 33
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kid mohair

Yes indeed and very very soon..

Plus the ammount now take away numbers from the soul club scene and all niters.. That makes it hard for these promoters to sort out dates and avoid clashing, they will all be clashing with a weekender every week soon. :yes:

But we go where we wanna go..

Is it right that there is a soul do on every night of the week....? i`d love to try the tuesday one...... :D

Social source share

Yes indeed and very very soon..

Plus the ammount now take away numbers from the soul club scene and all niters.. That makes it hard for these promoters to sort out dates and avoid clashing, they will all be clashing with a weekender every week soon. :yes:

But we go where we wanna go..

There's far too many, and most of them don't really offer anything different that I can tell. (Plus I don't know where some people get the money either, some folk on here seem to be at a every weekender going!) Although other then Cleggy and Prestatyn I've not tried any of the others for a while (went to Cala Gran years ago...never again ph34r.gif ) so I may be wrong :D . I do fancy Soul Essence though and some of the continental ones-Rimini and Valencia stand out but maybe that's because of the weather :D

I am going to my final weekender of the year next weekend, back to Prestatyn as I have got a free ticket plus the modern/crossover lineup sounds fantastic (and I get to see the Spinners :( )

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Is it right that there is a soul do on every night of the week....? i`d love to try the tuesday one...... :D

laugh.gif

I've only been to Cleethorpes, the others have looked good etc but times are hard & holiday time sparse! :yes:

Agree with you Reg on the continental ones, soul & sun! :D

Social source share

There's far too many, and most of them don't really offer anything different that I can tell. (Plus I don't know where some people get the money either, some folk on here seem to be at a every weekender going!) Although other then Cleggy and Prestatyn I've not tried any of the others for a while (went to Cala Gran years ago...never again :D ) so I may be wrong :yes: . I do fancy Soul Essence though and some of the continental ones-Rimini and Valencia stand out but maybe that's because of the weather tongue.gif

I am going to my final weekender of the year next weekend, back to Prestatyn as I have got a free ticket plus the modern/crossover lineup sounds fantastic (and I get to see the Spinners :D )

===

went to two weekenders - hated them both - vowed never to attend another!

each to their own however..

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

There's far too many, and most of them don't really offer anything different that I can tell. (Plus I don't know where some people get the money either, some folk on here seem to be at a every weekender going!) Although other then Cleggy and Prestatyn I've not tried any of the others for a while (went to Cala Gran years ago...never again :D ) so I may be wrong :yes: . I do fancy Soul Essence though and some of the continental ones-Rimini and Valencia stand out but maybe that's because of the weather tongue.gif

I am going to my final weekender of the year next weekend, back to Prestatyn as I have got a free ticket plus the modern/crossover lineup sounds fantastic (and I get to see the Spinners :D )

(Plus I don't know where some people get the money either, some folk on here seem to be at a every weekender going!)

This is due to northern soul body doubles being used. There is a company in Newport Pagnell that recruit.

Social source share

laugh.gif

I've only been to Cleethorpes, the others have looked good etc but times are hard & holiday time sparse! :yes:

And the continental ones often offer better VFM. We noticed this last year. There is a weekender on nearly every week. Certainly 2 a month minimum.

More and more european weekenders are creeping in deffo.

We're reviewing where we go next year as funds wont stretch anymore!. :-(

Have a great time at Prestatyn Reg. I'm trying to source tickets at the moment but as I can only make saturday, I can't justify buying a full weekender pass. (story of my life at the moment!).

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Always a difficult subject, on the one hand we don't want a "closed shop" in terms of D.J.'s/Niters/Soul Nights/Weekenders as this often leads to complacency and boredom, but on the other hand we don't want 20 of the same thing. New D.J.'s/Niters/Soul Nights/Weekenders are a good thing, if they are bringing something new to the party, and not just "cashing in"

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Have you noticed how many Weekenders there are,nearly one every week,with people feeling the pinch at the moment someones is going to get there fingers burnt.

Kev :yes:

AH but which weekender is the best........... wink.gif mine...cleethorpes and prestatyn. :D

Social source share

Always a difficult subject, on the one hand we don't want a "closed shop" in terms of D.J.'s/Niters/Soul Nights/Weekenders as this often leads to complacency and boredom, but on the other hand we don't want 20 of the same thing. New D.J.'s/Niters/Soul Nights/Weekenders are a good thing, if they are bringing something new to the party, and not just "cashing in"

Des Parker

True. :yes: good point.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Yes,here in notts/mansfield/east midlands area etc there are enough soul events in a month to have one a night :yes:

I did the first 17 skeg weekenders,loved everyone but now i sooner spend me cash on other things,i spend less cash going abroad than i did at the skeg events sad.gif

Like soul nights far too many w/enders most doing the same as the next so why have um,i like soul music as much as anyone but god theres one nearly every other week

Social source share

laugh.gif

Not N/soul girl,its about shity drives at all time in all weather conditions.keep it real please,France(weekender) soon i hope it pisses down add to the authenticity. :D

Social source share

Guest mrsmotown

Not N/soul girl,its about shity drives at all time in all weather conditions.keep it real please,France(weekender) soon i hope it pisses down add to the authenticity. :D

been to a couple now cleethorpes included :yes: had aball cant wait for next one bring it on

Social source share

Absolutely Ken, true niter weather is always crap. For some reason journey to Keele always used to be the worst - rain, snow, ice and usually on the same night :yes:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Are we talking "proper weekenders" or two soul nights with a couple of afternoon sessions cobbled together and marketed as a Weekender?

Hi Adam, very true many are cobbled together, isn't there one to be held at the Las Vegas of the north in November 2008. Termed - "a drive through weekender". :thumbsup: .

Nick.

Social source share

Do you think then that like soul nights,we are going way, way over the top with them,ie over kill again.

Lets face it the ordinary soulie has not got a bottomless pit of money.

Kev wicked.gif

yes. But that said, someone suggested to me yesterday that the tougher life gets for people (financially & all that) the more they look for a little bit of escape from

it all...feel they need it and feel they deserve it..

Jayne.x

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Des Parker

I haven't read the whole thread yet as i got caught up in the first four words in Des's post. I think you are right Des, it is always a difficult subject.

It made me think, There are growing comments of 'concern' on soul forums that suggest there are too many DJ's/niters/soul nights/weekenders; however when somone makes a suggestion of bringing it all under one roof, people tend to respond by saying they love the diversity that is on offer and would prefer to travel to the many different venues, for the variety. There is also a contingent of soulies that dont feel the urge to venture further from their own local events; making the option of creating a scene reminisant of the 70's (limited choice & travel) a 'no go' for a lot of people.

Further to this, we also have some that suggest it doesnt matter if the numbers are not big; as they believe it is about delivering what they want to deliver & the attendies like the route the promotor is taking musically. We also get comments that numbers are not big at events because other venues are saturating the scene. Does it matter or doesn't it?

A difficult subject indeed g.gif

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Are we talking "proper weekenders" or two soul nights with a couple of afternoon sessions cobbled together and marketed as a Weekender?

Nail on head...I've been to many a weekender in this country but the only proper one that delivers and bounces from beginning to end is Southport...always has done and always will do til it is no more...not everyone's cup of tea I agree and each to their own...retired from all that now but I've been to many of them over the years and never hated any of them...bit on the commercial side now and no longer cater for Northern I know.

I've heard that Prestatyn is a cracker but I've not been since the dance room took off so can't comment but I enjoyed the ones I went to although I found them to go flat during the day and when that happens I tend to lose my enthusiasm and get bored and I suffer when my mates aren't there to pick me up.

Its all about having a good time in the company of mates...thats what makes a weekender for me...I've had some of my bestest of times holed up in chalets with me pals and never even gone out all weekend...if the company is right thats all I need sometimes...Fleetwood used to be great for gatherings of the clans as well.

There are just too many weekenders these days...and the ones I've been to recently have suffered from dwindling numbers...think its just a sign of the times...they'll dwindle soon enough when the promoters pockets aren't being lined enough.

I'm losing the inclination to try weekenders out...like tried and tested the best I must admit.

Social source share

Goldsoul have a useful money saving offer if you intend going to THE WHITBY WEEKENDER and/or STOKE ALL NIGHTER(Kings Hall)

Purchase 3 tickets from our web site www.goldsoul.co.uk and receive the 4th ABSOLUTELY FREE!

The offer is permanent until further notice.

A potential saving of £12 for Stoke and £39 for Whitby!

The offer is via our web site only and not designated ticket agents.

Happy New Year. Kev and Sam

Social source share

yes. But that said, someone suggested to me yesterday that the tougher life gets for people (financially & all that) the more they look for a little bit of escape from

it all...feel they need it and feel they deserve it..

Jayne.x

We probably won't get a proper foreign holiday this year because of having three little bairns and cash being tight, so we're doing three weekenders (one north, one south, one European) instead. Yippee.

Social source share

I miss the old chalets at Cleethorpes weekender,soon as the music stopped in the event loads of partys and fun,just go from one chalet to another........Bub used have his own weekender in his chalet,he would only leave to dj loads of intresting folks poppin' in and out loads of folks with record players in the chalets,and some of the best records i have ever heard........and then there was the mass swim in the pool after the last record of he weekend,never seen so many N/soulers in a swimming pool ever it was steaming and in the middle of the night(sunday/monday)........i have done Southport/Prestatyn/Landudno/Blackpool/Yarmouth modern/yarmouth N/Soul/France/Germany/Belgium weekenders and others i have probberly forgot but none better than Cleethorpes.

Social source share

I miss the old chalets at Cleethorpes weekender,soon as the music stopped in the event loads of partys and fun,just go from one chalet to another........Bub used have his own weekender in his chalet,he would only leave to dj loads of intresting folks poppin' in and out loads of folks with record players in the chalets,and some of the best records i have ever heard........and then there was the mass swim in the pool after the last record of he weekend,never seen so many N/soulers in a swimming pool ever it was steaming and in the middle of the night(sunday/monday)........i have done Southport/Prestatyn/Landudno/Blackpool/Yarmouth modern/yarmouth N/Soul/France/Germany/Belgium weekenders and others i have probberly forgot but none better than Cleethorpes.

oh no, stop it ken! :lol:

I need to talk myself out of a couple of weekenders this year.... I was thinking maybe I could miss this one (as I've been to the last 10!) but you're reminding me why it's the best northern weekender there is!. g.gif

1st Jan 2009 I said "we need to do less weekenders this year, I must start putting more money into getting this house straight", maybe we'll just do a couple.

Since then we've either booked or decided that there are 8 weekenders in the next 12 months that either sean or I say are a 'must'!. Maybe selling the house and buying a mobile home is the answer...

Argh.. giving up smoking was easier than giving up weekenders!. smile.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

oh no, stop it ken! :lol:

I need to talk myself out of a couple of weekenders this year.... I was thinking maybe I could miss this one (as I've been to the last 10!) but you're reminding me why it's the best northern weekender there is!. g.gif

1st Jan 2009 I said "we need to do less weekenders this year, I must start putting more money into getting this house straight", maybe we'll just do a couple.

Since then we've either booked or decided that there are 8 weekenders in the next 12 months that either sean or I say are a 'must'!. Maybe selling the house and buying a mobile home is the answer...

Argh.. giving up smoking was easier than giving up weekenders!. :lol:

Jayne.x

I missed one - make that 9 weekenders!! ohmy.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert