Souled Out Film Hits Trouble?

Paul-s

=========

I could sort of understand your angst if your whole argument had started after the recent reports of what had happened on set but I seem to recall you were never particularly supportive of the film from the off.

I probably haven't followed the thread closely enough, but from a personal point of view, the constant negativity on the northern scene in general has worn me down. So many saviours and martyrs to the cause, materialising, who don't seem to grasp what the northern scene is about......... enjoyment. These 'chosen few' set guidelines on just how we should be experiencing 'this thing of ours', without recognising we most of us know what we want from it. It's the constant, having to justify oneself, whether it be about clothes, venues, oldies, whatever, so as to not have 10 posters implying that you're a philistine that I find most wearing.

Winnie :-)

My only gripe about the film was that they used the original recordings - especially for the dance scenes.

I voiced no opinion about anything else.

I was sceptical from the off when they came on here touting for extras - and rightly so it would seem.

They have treated members on here badly.

Some feel that's ok. I don't. And I get slagged rotten for it.

But that's ok.

Social source share

• Replies 269
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

My only gripe about the film was that they used the original recordings - especially for the dance scenes.

I voiced no opinion about anything else.

I was sceptical from the off when they came on here touting for extras - and rightly so it would seem.

They have treated members on here badly.

Some feel that's ok. I don't. And I get slagged rotten for it.

But that's ok.

=================

As I've said, I haven't followed the thread closely, are there actually posts where some people say it's ok that they've treated SS members badly? Genuine question, as I don't have the inclination to trawl through all the posts, at the same time, I'll understand if you can't be asked to either :)

Social source share

what i cant believe is that this thread is still going !!....the various threads on this film have lasted longer than it took to film the f****** thing !!.... :)

if you dont like it and the way the crew have behaved thats up to you but i cant understand why it bothers you sooooo much and why you continue to advertise it for them by talkin about it on here ??

as has already been said mistakes will be made(like all films) but IF the worst is a badge 3 years too early i dont think we should worry too much...who the f*** is gonna notice that ???....

and most of the extras probably had an interesting day,didnt have to go OR stay there !!

i always tend to see the good in people (dont get me wrong im not naive,if youre a wrong un i normally see it too)..but i dont think they sat around thinkin 'i know what... if we get some sad soulies in as extras it will save us x ammount of dosh. !'...maybe they thought some of us might have want to be involved...?

and with the money they did save maybe they spent it on a decent soundtrack...who knows WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE !!

Social source share

what i cant believe is that this thread is still going !!....the various threads on this film have lasted longer than it took to film the f****** thing !!.... :)

:ohmy:

Social source share

and most of the extras probably had an interesting day,didnt have to go OR stay there !!

Correct on all three counts Spacehopper! (well, for this one extra anyway)..... :ohmy:

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

Correct on all three counts Spacehopper! (well, for this one extra anyway).....

===========

Didn't see the ad for a token port vale supporter? :-p

:D You cheeky monkey Win!

Lets just say that if the Vale had been at home on the Saturday I went up to Stoke,any such ad for a "token" Valiant to attend the Kings Hall would have been a wasted effort matey,no contest! (As it was, Stoke were at home,but even Dave Evison couldnt be bothered to make the massive trip round the corner to the Britannia Stadium :lol: )

Social source share

CHECK OUT THIS BITTER 'Butterball' from the 'souled out' team. At least shes not pretentious! :Dlaugh.gif:lol: or contradictory. After saying they were recreating WIGAN. Its now "just A Film". Great professional, precise attitude....bless her. :huh: . Can I just point out that not ALL film makers have such a slack attitude to socio-historic representation in films....having worked with Shane Meadows..blah,blah,blah...

as for "green eyed"? I wrote to their funders over 4 years ago asking that they put the money to better use rather giving it to such a slack effort...and NO i didn't ask for it to go to me. :(

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

CHECK OUT THIS BITTER 'Butterball' from the 'souled out' team. At least shes not pretentious! laugh.gif:(:lol: or contradictory. After saying they were recreating WIGAN. Its now "just A Film". Great professional, precise attitude....bless her. :huh: . Can I just point out that not ALL film makers have such a slack attitude to socio-historic representation in films....having worked with Shane Meadows..blah,blah,blah...

Ooooh! Having worked with Shane Meadows!

Well get him to make the fookin film then. Come on top producer, mate Shane. Will you make a proper Northern film.

:D

Social source share

Well get him to make the fookin film then. Come on top producer, mate Shane. Will you make a proper Northern film.

:lol:

Still won't be as good as Dead Mans Shoes :D

Social source share

CHECK OUT THIS BITTER 'Butterball' from the 'souled out' team. At least shes not pretentious! :Dlaugh.gif:lol: or contradictory. After saying they were recreating WIGAN. Its now "just A Film". Great professional, precise attitude....bless her. :huh: . Can I just point out that not ALL film makers have such a slack attitude to socio-historic representation in films....having worked with Shane Meadows..blah,blah,blah...

as for "green eyed"? I wrote to their funders over 4 years ago asking that they put the money to better use rather giving it to such a slack effort...and NO i didn't ask for it to go to me. :(

Paul, thats Karen, she's nothing to do with Souled Out or Soul Source or anything, she's an enity on her own and I absolutely love her though a lot of people don't - says what she thinks, often gets in trouble for doing so but at least she sticks to her guns. Oh and she designed my website for me for free.

Social source share

Paul, thats Karen, she's nothing to do with Souled Out or Soul Source or anything, she's an enity on her own and I absolutely love her though a lot of people don't - says what she thinks, often gets in trouble for doing so but at least she sticks to her guns. Oh and she designed my website for me for free.

Bless her. Ill just call her Butterball for now. :lol: Can she be contacted at the day centre? :D

Social source share

He s not that stupid!! My point is, when they wanted EVERYONE to work for free, it was all "recreation of Wigan", "you matter to us", "want to be true to the scene" etc. It isn't that hard to research a film properly. Otherwise, dont mention WIGAN....just do a film set anywhere. I didn't push it into that box, they did. They did so in the hope of getting lots of interest and publicity for it and did not really give a flying f--k about a faithful representation. People on here make me smile with their griping about record issues, release dates, artists etc...all very precise! Yet when the same precision is asked for in a film representaion of a SPECIFIC period and place that was of great significance (good or bad) to the very same scene, its all "oh well, its only a film". laugh.gif:lol:

The costume guy says it's a faithful reproduction of NS 1975 style, don't you believe him despite his very detailed description?

Social source share

The costume guy says it's a faithful reproduction of NS 1975 style, don't you believe him despite his very detailed description?

Pete, id like to believe him. As I said my mate (copey) who knows his stuff, said that when he visited the set and pointed out the historical discrepencies, they didn't really care. SO, I will believe him until the film comes out and shows me different. He also said that there were lots of Baggy trousers floating around on set (no pun intended). Wigan 75 wasn't really dominated by the baggy trouser as I and others remember!? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Pete, id like to believe him. As I said my mate (copey) who knows his stuff, said that when he visited the set and pointed out the historical discrepencies, they didn't really care. SO, I will believe him until the film comes out and shows me different. He also said that there were lots of Baggy trousers floating around on set (no pun intended). Wigan 75 wasn't really dominated by the baggy trouser as I and others remember!? :rolleyes:

I wish my troosers were fookin baggy - they're tight as fook. I just seem to be getting fatter and fatter!

:)

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

He s not that stupid!! My point is, when they wanted EVERYONE to work for free, it was all "recreation of Wigan", "you matter to us", "want to be true to the scene" etc. It isn't that hard to research a film properly. Otherwise, dont mention WIGAN....just do a film set anywhere. I didn't push it into that box, they did. They did so in the hope of getting lots of interest and publicity for it and did not really give a flying f--k about a faithful representation. People on here make me smile with their griping about record issues, release dates, artists etc...all very precise! Yet when the same precision is asked for in a film representaion of a SPECIFIC period and place that was of great significance (good or bad) to the very same scene, its all "oh well, its only a film". :D:rolleyes:

Hear,hear! Your totally right. In the beginning they came on and shouted as loud as they could they were doing a film about two young lovers set against the backdrop of the Northern Soul scene circa 1974 & they wanted our input to get the authenticity correct. THEY asked for our help. Read the thread properly! :yes:

When they realised they had bitten off more than they could chew THEY did an about turn and started 'It's only a film' bullshit and we shouldn't expect it to be too accurate? When people started asking questions about music content they came out with the most rediculous explainations with regard to licensing original trax and really avoided going into detail about the tunes that would be used. I've been in the music biz for 30 years and have my own record label and regularly license music to and from various sources. They were talking complete horse shit about the whole situation. That's when I realised it was a crock of poop and should be avoided.The extras and the way they were treated is par for the course. On all projects extras spend hours standing around doing nothing it's just the way it is. (I've been in 20 or so TV programmes and about the same number of feature films). If they had told people that's what a typical day was going to be then I doubt anyone would have turned up. Can't say I blame them there. Filling a venue with a thousand bodies would be a hard job and expensive getting volounteers was the only way. The fact that this is 'Only a film' is not a really valid excuse for poor research and lazy misrepresentation. They had no idea what they had taken on with the attention to detail that this scene generates and once they realised this they used the site to promote the film with complete disregard for any of our opinions. To some this might be ok but too me it's an insult to the collective history and dedication we have all experienced and I will be avoiding this 'film'. :)

Social source share

It makes me wonder if historians were having the same discussions when they made Titanic?

Well you may well have a point :rolleyes:

I for one thought the iceberg was far too fookin big

And who the fook stands on the front of the ship, holding the missus, singing

"Near far"

"Wherever you are"

:)

Social source share

Hear,hear! Your totally right. In the beginning they came on and shouted as loud as they could they were doing a film about two young lovers set against the backdrop of the Northern Soul scene circa 1974 & they wanted our input to get the authenticity correct. THEY asked for our help. Read the thread properly! :)

When they realised they had bitten off more than they could chew THEY did an about turn and started 'It's only a film' bullshit and we shouldn't expect it to be too accurate? When people started asking questions about music content they came out with the most rediculous explainations with regard to licensing original trax and really avoided going into detail about the tunes that would be used. I've been in the music biz for 30 years and have my own record label and regularly license music to and from various sources. They were talking complete horse shit about the whole situation. That's when I realised it was a crock of poop and should be avoided.The extras and the way they were treated is par for the course. On all projects extras spend hours standing around doing nothing it's just the way it is. (I've been in 20 or so TV programmes and about the same number of feature films). If they had told people that's what a typical day was going to be then I doubt anyone would have turned up. Can't say I blame them there. Filling a venue with a thousand bodies would be a hard job and expensive getting volounteers was the only way. The fact that this is 'Only a film' is not a really valid excuse for poor research and lazy misrepresentation. They had no idea what they had taken on with the attention to detail that this scene generates and once they realised this they used the site to promote the film with complete disregard for any of our opinions. To some this might be ok but too me it's an insult to the collective history and dedication we have all experienced and I will be avoiding this 'film'. :rolleyes:

very good post.

I'll now take Joan's lead and leave you with this thead!.

Enjoy!

Jayne.x

Social source share

Hear,hear! Your totally right. In the beginning they came on and shouted as loud as they could they were doing a film about two young lovers set against the backdrop of the Northern Soul scene circa 1974 & they wanted our input to get the authenticity correct. THEY asked for our help. Read the thread properly! :)

When they realised they had bitten off more than they could chew THEY did an about turn and started 'It's only a film' bullshit and we shouldn't expect it to be too accurate? When people started asking questions about music content they came out with the most rediculous explainations with regard to licensing original trax and really avoided going into detail about the tunes that would be used. I've been in the music biz for 30 years and have my own record label and regularly license music to and from various sources. They were talking complete horse shit about the whole situation. That's when I realised it was a crock of poop and should be avoided.The extras and the way they were treated is par for the course. On all projects extras spend hours standing around doing nothing it's just the way it is. (I've been in 20 or so TV programmes and about the same number of feature films). If they had told people that's what a typical day was going to be then I doubt anyone would have turned up. Can't say I blame them there. Filling a venue with a thousand bodies would be a hard job and expensive getting volounteers was the only way. The fact that this is 'Only a film' is not a really valid excuse for poor research and lazy misrepresentation. They had no idea what they had taken on with the attention to detail that this scene generates and once they realised this they used the site to promote the film with complete disregard for any of our opinions. To some this might be ok but too me it's an insult to the collective history and dedication we have all experienced and I will be avoiding this 'film'. :rolleyes:

Hey everybody, look at me! I've been in the music biz for 30 years! I have my own record label! I've been in 20 tv programs and 20 actual films! I know everything about everything and the rest of you know f*ck all!

Social source share

Hey everybody, look at me! I've been in the music biz for 30 years! I have my own record label! I've been in 20 tv programs and 20 actual films! I know everything about everything and the rest of you know f*ck all!

==========

You and Nik Mak have remarkably similar CV's :rolleyes::)

Social source share

:rolleyes:

Social source share

I don't remember giving Ian Levine a lecture on why his records don't sell any copies

I love how people are avoiding this film because they've heard extras weren't treated correctly.

POWER TO THE EXTRAS!!!!! YOU DIRTY FILTHY FILM MAKERS HAVE PUSHED US ON THE "ALL ABOUT SOUL" SECTION OF SOUL SOURCE TOO FAR!!!!

When they hear that Joan and Jayne have walked from the thread they'll shit it.

Social source share

Your arguments against the costume & badges in particular are very vague.As i said I'll resond to q's about costume.In fact I did say pre '75, meaning '74.When you say 'they didn't really care' who exactly are you referring to? Not me thats for sure..If anyone raised a Q to me during the filming it was answered truthfully with reason. I repeat my Q to you (so far unanswered) did you actually attend ANY of the filming, if so in what capacity? Your mate copey may have raised his Q to someone who was unqualified to answer it, & then assumed it wasn't important.For instance when Dave Evison came to DJ for a dance scene (he was off camera) he asked me if I had any more of the bar towels (that dancers used to wipe their sweat, usually tucked into waist belts) I replied we had but as this shot was a close up (head & shoulders)& they wouldn't be seen it wasn't important.He understood, but someone else might have not, maybe your mate copey.As for the baggy trousers, there are several great photos taken from mid '74 that clearly show baggy soul trousers being worn, I was already wearing a pair in '74 & these were available from said tailors plus Roxy threads in Nottingham,plus many corner shop tailors.Of course not eveyone wore them but versions of them were already a fashion staple in the high st, these were not the spencers soul trousers, they came later & were much wider.I repeat, much care & research was taken with regard to costume, but as in many cases, their are always one or two who insist on wearing their own clothing, if they slipped thru the net , I doubt they'll be seen on screen after editing, thats the important thing.I was a regular at the casino for much of 1974, I based my reseach on this & my ( & others) personal photos, my brother & I were partners in a fashion shop & we sold a lot of 'soul fashion' mail order thru Blues & soul, I honestly doubt anyone was more qualified to costume this film, if there are I'd like to meet them!

Social source share

I love how people are avoiding this film because they've heard extras weren't treated correctly.

POWER TO THE EXTRAS!!!!! YOU DIRTY FILTHY FILM MAKERS HAVE PUSHED US ON THE "ALL ABOUT SOUL" SECTION OF SOUL SOURCE TOO FAR!!!!

When they hear that Joan and Jayne have walked from the thread they'll shit it.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It makes me wonder if historians were having the same discussions when they made Titanic?

Unfortunatley they got it wrong. And ended up being sued about it.

Not saying anyone will sue over the patch pockets not being authentic, or the Paul Weller tune not being actually played in 1975.....

Paul B. I'm not against it because of how the extras were or werent treated. I'm against it because I believe it has nothing to do with Northern Soul, any more than a KFC ad or Corrie and their Wigan Casino patch wearing characters.

I dont care that Keb Darge had any input. Dave Evison did on that Wigan play in the 70s. it didnt make it any more relevant than this film is likely to be.

I hope everyone who goes has a great time, hears some tunes they like, and watches an entertaining film. As Win so succinctly said, its about enjoying yourself. I hope everyone does. I will just be enjoying myself elsewhere.

It goes back to what I was saying to Ian in his thread about him and his music and his views and him. I dont believe Northern Soul can be in the public eye without any dissolution of what I enjoy about the scene. The music aside I like going to places where i know the local idiots are unlikely to be in, and want to bash me because i'm not local. Efforts like this to make money off the back of something so special is unsupportable in my view.

Ian said I had a problem with people making a living from Northern Soul. I absolutely dont, but feel strongly that there is a major difference between Manship earning his money, or Kent putting out a licenced album, to a guy getting pub singers to cover tunes or sing songs in the 'Northern soul style', and film producers thinking they can pay lip service without having the foggiest about Northern Soul.

So I wont support it, either vocally, or with my spare cash.

Thats not a criticism of guys getting involved or looking forward to the films release. I dont go to soul do's expecting everyone to have the same politics, sexual preferences or views on what the Northern Soul scene is to them. So if people are looking forward to the film, good luck.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Unfortunatley they got it wrong. And ended up being sued about it.

Not saying anyone will sue over the patch pockets not being authentic, or the Paul Weller tune not being actually played in 1975.....

Paul B. I'm not against it because of how the extras were or werent treated. I'm against it because I believe it has nothing to do with Northern Soul, any more than a KFC ad or Corrie and their Wigan Casino patch wearing characters.

I dont care that Keb Darge had any input. Dave Evison did on that Wigan play in the 70s. it didnt make it any more relevant than this film is likely to be.

I hope everyone who goes has a great time, hears some tunes they like, and watches an entertaining film. As Win so succinctly said, its about enjoying yourself. I hope everyone does. I will just be enjoying myself elsewhere.

I can't understand how you could be so against it without seeing it. Personally I wouldn't form an opinion (nevermind a strong opinion as many on here have) on something I know nothing about or haven't yet seen and I couldn't respect someone's opinion on a subject if that was the case.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert