Modern Soul

Tomangoes

• Replies 7
  • Views 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Following on from recent topics, has anyone wrote a book about artists/records/labels etc covering soul records from say 1976 onwards? that have been played on the scene? Maybe like the top 500 sort of thing?

Ed

i have very recently just started working on one....i may need some record scans etc so anyone who wants to get in touch please do so..

Social source share

this could make a great thread but why 1976?, i'dve thought two legendary early modern anthems why can,t we be lovers and whats goin on.... wouldnt be included.

BRI PINCH.

Hi

I have read quite a few books and journals that covers up to 'about 75/76' but after that the normal stuff regarded as modern seems to be harder to find in terms of published materials, thats all.

Nothing should be missed out, thats for sure, but I suppose there is always a start point.

The top 5/600 book covers some of this material, but there is still a bunch of great records that would benefit from a short story/label scan/bla bla to establish who made it/found it/championed it etc.

I just like reading that kind of info, and I guess there is probably double the quantity of stuff from 75 to 85 as there was from 65 to 75. (perhaps?)

Ed

Social source share

Guest mel brat

this could make a great thread but why 1976?, i'dve thought two legendary early modern anthems why can,t we be lovers and whats goin on.... wouldnt be included.

BRI PINCH.

As great as these records are (and I love 'em both), surely neither of these records would qualify as "Modern anthems" in that sense? :D Also, once again it appears that there's a great deal of confusion regarding what is meant by the Modern (UK Soul) scene and what constitutes a typically "modern" recording (and I'd hate to have to define the latter!)

(And before someone starts that old chestnut up again, just let me reiterate that - just as in the visual arts - the term "Modern" here does not mean the same as brand new, but relates to any movement which adopts contemporary techniques and materials and rebels against traditional mores in favour of a more progressive approach.

(The early 'Mods' initially labelled themselves as 'Mod-ernists' by rejecting the increasingly conservative Jazz and Blues establishment of the day and instead adopted to seek out and dance to contemporary Soul records)

The roots and definition of what constitutes the more recent UK Modern Soul scene were pretty well documented in a couple of articles, by Tim Brown and others, and published in "Voices From The Shadows" magazine sometime in the early '90s (I'll check the issue number and get back to you) A more in-depth appraisal may have been "The In-Crowd" book on the Northern Soul scene - which was originally meant to be in two parts - the second volume no doubt documenting the rise of the UK "Modern Soul" scene. However I'm not sure Volume 2 will in fact now emerge. You'd have to ask Mike and Stuart.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

THE ONLY REASON I CALLED EM MODERN IS BECAUSE IVE ONLY REALLY HEARD THESE AT MODERN SOUL NIGHTS, NORMALLY AT THE END OF THE NIGHT TO A FANTASTIC REACTION SO I ASSUMED THEY MAY BE ANTHEMS, JUST IMHO, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

BRI PINCH.

You surprise me. I wasn't aware these had been played at Modern Soul nights at all, but if so it's because they are bone fide Soul classics and well deserving of an occasional outing. (I've been saying for 30 years that the Northern scene would be much less uptight and more fun if so-called "commercial" Soul records were occasionally mixed in with all the rare stuff) I heard Bobby Womack "I Can Understand It" played once and it went down a storm. Where's the harm in paying tribute to the classics if the North is a genuine SOUL scene, and not just a place for a DJ to impress the ever miserable collectors and his own personal mates? (Most of whom incidently you never, ever see on the dancefloor!)

Regarding the original question, you may find the following articles useful;

Voices from the Shadows No.13

"Modern Soul" - Rod Dearlove

"Blackpool Mecca and All That: An Investigation into the Roots of Modern Soul" - Tim Brown

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert