Anyone Seen One Of These?

I recently bought a copy of 'Millie Jackson - My man a sweet man' on 'Spring' records (import). I was very fortunate, as the very kind seller sent me 2 copies, the auction was for 1 copy, BONUS!!

The copy I bid for was as mentioned above on the usual 'Spring' label, but the second copy is on a label called 'South bound'? has anyone seen one of these before?

Thanks

millie.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest veep1296

I recently bought a copy of 'Millie Jackson - My man a sweet man' on 'Spring' records (import). I was very fortunate, as the very kind seller sent me 2 copies, the auction was for 1 copy, BONUS!!

The copy I bid for was as mentioned above on the usual 'Spring' label, but the second copy is on a label called 'South bound'? has anyone seen one of these before?

Thanks

millie.jpg

Never seen a West German copy before...nice label design.

David

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I think the Southbound copy is a reissue. (C. late 1980's/early '90's going by the typeface used in the logo)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Thanks

millie.jpg

Beautiful Label, Excellent Record.

Now another to collect one day.

Social source share

Just had a quick search and found this info.

Millie jackson my man a sweet man (1989 german 7" vinyl single) also featuring i gotta get away picture sleeve sews702. South Bound

So there ya go, Released in Germany in 1989. Must be a re-release then. Still a nice label though

It's not an actual german release.

It was pressed in Germany, yes but so were many UK Ace and Kent releases back then. Ace has/had a sub-label called Southbound so this 7" is more likely to be a UK issued record that was pressed in Germany.

Social source share

It's not an actual german release.

It was pressed in Germany, yes but so were many UK Ace and Kent releases back then. Ace has/had a sub-label called Southbound so this 7" is more likely to be a UK issued record that was pressed in Germany.

Spot on Benji.

Pretty regular late 80's Re-Issue...

...and no... "House For Sale" did not gain such a release.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Oops! and you think so too Baz!!

Did you buy the recent Kent CD "Soul For The Dancefloor"

Probably the best Femme 'Real Soul' Dance compilation in the history of the world.

:wicked:

Sean

its the bollocks Sean your involvement was noted,spun leftovers last night she just has the lot,love doctor also what a range of vocal !!! I think i want to marry her!!!

BAZ A :shades:

Social source share

I was speaking to a guy at a record fair that i went to in Leeds today, and we got talking about Millie Jackson. He swore that she was also known as 'Millie' the one that recorded 'My boy lollipop' and she changed her name to Millie Jackson. How true is this, does anyone know?

Before you ask I got 3 choonz at the fair.

The three caps - Cool jerk on UK Atlantic (are 'The three caps' the same as 'The capitols'? the record sounds just the same as their version).

Soul brothers six - Check yourself/Some kind of wonderful - UK Atlantic

The mood mosiac - A touch of velvet.......... on UK Columbia.

All for a tenner. Not too shabby.

Social source share

I was speaking to a guy at a record fair that i went to in Leeds today, and we got talking about Millie Jackson. He swore that she was also known as 'Millie' the one that recorded 'My boy lollipop' and she changed her name to Millie Jackson. How true is this, does anyone know?

Absolute rubbish I'm afraid. Millie was Millie Small, and originally from Jamaica.

Social source share

Just found this on Wikipedia;

"My Boy Lollipop" is a song written in the mid-1950s by Morris Levy (under the pseudonym "Robert Spencer") and Johnny Roberts. It was originally recorded by the American singer Barbie Gaye and became a minor Rhythm & Blues hit in late 1956, spelled "My Boy Lollypop" (with a y") on the original 78 record label. It is most famous, however, for the 1964 recording by Jamaican singer Millie Small which is considered the first international ska hit.

The Millie Small version

The song was discovered by Chris Blackwell, who was trying to find songs for Millie Small to record. Millie's version was recorded in a ska/bluebeat-style, and became her breakthrough blockbuster hit in Britain, reaching #2. It also went to #1 in Ireland and #2 in America. "My Boy Lollipop" was the first record to help Blackwell's Jamaican label, Island Records, make millions. With over seven million copies sold, it remains one of the best-selling reggae/ska hits.

Respect to all who informed me of the truth behind the rumour, now I can go and kick his ass! :lol:

Social source share

Found this also;

Millie Jackson is an R&B/Soul music singer/songwriter. Her vocal performances are distinguished by long, humorous, and explicit spoken sections in her music; She has also recorded many disco songs, some dance music songs, and a few country styled songs. She is the mother of R&B singer Keisha Jackson.

Early life

Millie Jackson was born in Thomson, Georgia, on 15 July 1944; she was the daughter of a sharecropper. Her mother died while Jackson was still a child, and subsequently she and her father moved to Newark, New Jersey. By the time she was in her mid-teens, she moved to Brooklyn, New York, and lived with an aunt. She occasionally worked as a model for magazines like Jive and Sepia.

Career

Her career is said to have begun on a dare to enter a 1964 Harlem nightclub talent contest, which she won. Her voice is frequently compared to that of her inspiration, Gladys Knight.

Though she first recorded for MGM records, she soon left and began her long association with Spring Records. Her first single to chart was 1971's deceptively titled "A Child of God (It's Hard to Believe)," which reached number 22 on the R&B charts. In 1972, Jackson had her first R&B Top Ten single with "Ask Me What You Want", which also reached the pop charts, which was followed up by "My Man, A Sweet Man" which reached #7 R&B. The following year she had her third Top Ten single and biggest hit with "Hurts So Good," which made # 3 on the R&B charts and #24 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart. The single was featured in the blaxploitation film Cleopatra Jones.

In 1974 she released the album Caught Up, which introduced her unique and innovative rap style of racy, raunchy language. The featured release was "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right", for which she received two Grammy nominations. On that album, the follow-up Still Caught Up, and others, she was backed by the renowned Muscle Shoals rhythm section.

Over the next ten years, Jackson had a string of successful albums and numerous R&B Top 100 singles on the Top Black Singles chart for Spring Records, the biggest being her 1977 version of Merle Haggard's country hit "If You're Not Back In Love By Monday". That hit single was followed by many more, including her version of the Boney M song, the Disco single, "Never Change Lovers In The Middle of The Night." This single peaked at #33 on the Top Black Singles chart in 1979. In 1986, she signed with Jive Records and had further Top Ten hits on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles and Tracks chart with "Hot! Wild! Unrestricted! Crazy Love" and "Love Is a Dangerous Game." Jackson also formed and produced the group Facts of Life, who had one hit in 1977.

In 1991, she wrote, produced and starred in the successful touring play Young Man, Older Woman, based on her album of the same title.

In 2000 her voice featured in "Am I Wrong" by Etienne de Crcy, sampled from her performance in "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right".

Jackson may be most famous in the internet age for her album covers, which frequently appear on "worst ever" lists. E.S.P. (Extra Sexual Persuasion) features Jackson peering into a crystal ball that accentuates her cleavage; Back to the Shit depicts Jackson on a toilet, straining to (presumably) defecate.

Jackson now runs her own record label, Weird Wreckuds. After a lengthy hiatus from recording, she released her fifteenth album, Not For Church Folk in 2002, which marked a return to her "tell it like it is" lyrical style and Urban contemporary sound. The album features the hit singles "Butt-A-Cize" (a dance song) and "Leave Me Alone" (a ballad). The album also features a collaboration with rapper Da Brat on the edgy song "In My Life."

For the past several years Jackson has had her own radio show in Dallas, Texas. Broadcasting via remote from her home in Atlanta, Jackson can be found working in afternoon drive time from 3-6 pm on KKDA 730 AM.

In 2007, 1977 album Feelin' Bitchy was reissued with positive reviews.

Social source share

I was speaking to a guy at a record fair that i went to in Leeds today, and we got talking about Millie Jackson. He swore that she was also known as 'Millie' the one that recorded 'My boy lollipop' and she changed her name to Millie Jackson.

Must be the same guy at a Leeds Record Fair that told me that Marvin Gaye was also known as Marvin Smith, that Otis Redding was also known as Otis Clay... and that Donny Hathaway was previously known as Donny Osmond. :lol:

It was at that point I realised he was a total knobhead.

:)

Sean

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

quote name='steveluigi' date='Sep 27 08, 11:57 PM' post='881721']

Just had a quick search and found this info.

Millie jackson my man a sweet man (1989 german 7" vinyl single) also featuring i gotta get away picture sleeve sews702. South Bound

So there ya go, Released in Germany in 1989. Must be a re-release then. Still a nice label though

Social source share

yes, that's the same sleeve as mine's in, but mine is not a demo as you see by the label.

Here is the soundclip that i said I'd upload, thought it sounded different to the original release, but on playing it on a decent system I'm not too sure now.

Millie jackson - My man a sweet man

Not sure which to keep now, or should I keep them both?

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

quote name='steveluigi' date='Sep 27 08, 11:57 PM' post='881721']

The picture sleeve with Promo 7" from 1989 this is the 89 the one that started this topic is from 72 all the info is on the back of the sleeve.

Steve J

Sorry Steve, that's incorrect.

The one pictured, that started the topic is most definitely from 1989.

:)

It was released in the UK on Mojo in 72 (and probably in Germany on Polydor soon after) but that's a UK SouthBound / Ace Records Re-issue, pressed in Germany.

The previous number (701) on the same label was a Re-Issue of Isaac Hayes "Theme from Shaft".

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Oops! and you think so too Baz!!

Did you buy the recent Kent CD "Soul For The Dancefloor"

Probably the best Femme 'Real Soul' Dance compilation in the history of the world.

Sean

You're not somewhat biased are ya Sean?

Great album though - probably the best Femme 'Real Soul' Dance compilation in the history of the world according to some.......

Ian D :)

Social source share

saw MILLIE JACKSON live at the top rank in hanley...when MY MAN IS A SWEET MAN was about to be released in this country...great!!

I saw her at the Top Rank in Preston, probably about the same time, mid 73. She must have been doing a recce of suitable Bingo venues :lol: . Prabably the same DJs as well, I know Andy Hanley was one of them, & Possibly Ian Levine?

Paul

Social source share

Yes Steve The Three Caps are The Capitols, check out the flipside a really nice version of Barbara Lewis's "Hello Stranger"

Millie Jackson "My Man....." did get a release in Germany on Polydor by the bysey

Cheers Paul

Just played the 'B' side of the 'Three caps', 'Hello stranger', What a nice tune, good mid tempo soul.

next question, The Capitols AKA The three caps, why? tax dodge? career re-launch? anyone?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've been raving over "This Is It" (on UK Spring, 1980) for many years - a great record deserving of more exposure than I can give it.

The album version of "This Is It" has a typically long (and downright dirty!) spoken intro, however the 7" omits this intro, so is perfectly suitable for playing to a wholesome family audience! Get to it!

I'd also forgotten "My Man..." was written by Raeford Gerald. (He was the driving force behind the group Act 1 if I'm not mistaken). Their album on Spring is very nice.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Just played the 'B' side of the 'Three caps', 'Hello stranger', What a nice tune, good mid tempo soul.

next question, The Capitols AKA The three caps, why? tax dodge? career re-launch? anyone?

Early UK copies are credited to The Capitols but as there was already a UK band with this name they changed it to the 3 Caps.

Social source share

I'd also forgotten "My Man..." was written by Raeford Gerald. (He was the driving force behind the group Act 1 if I'm not mistaken). Their album on Spring is very nice.

Of course Mr Gerald is otherwise known as Ray Godfrey of "Candy Clown" & "Come and get these memories" fame.

He also recorded for Spring records at the time of "My man..."

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Sorry Steve, that's incorrect.

The one pictured, that started the topic is most definitely from 1989.

:D

It was released in the UK on Mojo in 72 (and probably in Germany on Polydor soon after) but that's a UK SouthBound / Ace Records Re-issue, pressed in Germany.

The previous number (701) on the same label was a Re-Issue of Isaac Hayes "Theme from Shaft".

Sean

Hi Sean i stand corected mate :) the photo of the record i put up is an isue from 89 not a demo.

I was going of the sleeve notes:-

Direct metal mastered from digital tape

post production by DES

P 1972 Ace records ltd

C 1989 Ace records ltd

copyrights in this sound recording is owned by Ace Records Ltd

Steve J

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!