Tommaso

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone rates it? Just bought it in a shop in Milan..

...Been one of my favourite records for 39 years, il mio amico. Also much beloved by fans of Island Soul and Low Rider Soul.

You also need to get copies of Brenton's "Two Time Loser" and "Can You Dig It" - both very similar and both not very expensive!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

For slowie fans, "I Like The Way You Love Me" and "Me And You" are almost impossible to beat...

Should also mention "I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up", on the other side of "Gimme Little Sign". Another stone classic that, I'm willing to bet, a lot of people will have never bothered checking out because it was on the flipside of a hit (and a great one at that)...

Social source share

Got most of his stuff have to say give me a little sign is such an underrated disc,reminds me of the youth club days when you just listened to music you love before the crap of the scene cut in ie big records etc,massive talent love rebound also,infact love most of the logo check out foxy and the brill georgia prohets will post up when i get my laptop back!!!

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Social source share

For slowie fans, "I Like The Way You Love Me" and "Me And You" are almost impossible to beat...

Should also mention "I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up", on the other side of "Gimme Little Sign". Another stone classic that, I'm willing to bet, a lot of people will have never bothered checking out because it was on the flipside of a hit (and a great one at that)...

Mmmm. Time for a proper Brenton Wood anthology.......?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agreed, Mr Wood certainly put out some nice tunes thumbsup.gif

Another nice one from the same period is "Come here girl"

Not forgetting his Cream period is a nice one called "You're everything I need" - the same song as done by Major Lance no less.

Oh, and don't forget "Better believe it" on Warner Bros, which is quite nice too!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Mmmm. Time for a proper Brenton Wood anthology.......?

Ian D :thumbup:

There's already been such a thing - a 2CD set, on Original Sound, compiled and annotated by my pal (and Ace colleague) Alec Palao. Doesn't have the Cream/Midget/Mr. Wood/WB stuff, but it does have every single one of his Wand/Brent/Double Shot/Whiz sides...

...and it's absolutely wonderful, of course. came out a couple of years ago, still available via Amazon etc....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Picked it up recently...prefer Fools Mixed Up to be honest...great tune :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:lol:

OMG the Leeds Record Fair guy has a lot to answer for!

"Where does a man go to cry" is Brook Benton too!

:)

Sean

...good job that there's no "Brenton Wood Sings Brook Benton" album, eh, Sean? That'd really confuse the buggers....

Social source share

Anyone rates it? Just bought it in a shop in Milan..

Brenton Wood is just one of those artists that when see one of his records for sale you just buy it !

Try and catch the video of him singing on the UKs TOTPs back in the 60T's when he did "Gimme a little sign" top notch, great voice, class act :lol:

Social source share

Sean I dont understand your quote re the Leeds Record fair guy - Explain please :g:

Maybe you had to be there! :huh:

Steve Luigi ran into a guy at a Record Fair over the weekend that told him that Millie Small of "My Boy Lollipop" fame was the same person as Millie Jackson of "My Man Is A Sweet Man" fame.

I quipped that the same guy had told me that Marvin Gaye was also known as Marvin Smith, that Otis Redding was also known as Otis Clay... and that Donny Hathaway was previously known as Donny Osmond.

:thumbsup:

Any road up... Brook Benton and Brenton Wood are not the same person. People seem to confuse the two for some reason.

A bit like someone asking you if you're the same Ernie Andrews who did "This Is Your Life" :lol:

:D

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:g:

Can just see people looking for the "Brook Wood sings Brenton Benton" album.

Mmmmm, wonder if Brook Wood and Chuck Wood are the same person?

:huh:

Sean

...Or maybe Brooke Benton and Brooke Shields are the same person?

Brook Benton (allegedly) died at about the same time as Brooke Shields started her career. Perhaps he didn't die but instead underwent a sex change and a skin bleaching? Brooke Shields is pretty tall for a girl, so you never know...

You also never see Brooke Shields and the excellent, tall (and rotund) Geordie actor Mark Benton in the same show, so perhaps he's BrookShieldsMark Benton, too...

Also it's well documented that Chuck Wood and Natalie Wood were the same person - although they're 'both' dead so getting confirmation is probably going to be tough... :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Mr.Wood seems to have been popular over here in Japan too...on checking the shelves I have five 7" and an LP all of his Double Shot recordings on Japanese presses...the LP features a few corking tracks that (sadly) never came out on 45's.

Garage fans might like to note that Brenton's version of "Psychotic Reaction" (or, as my Italian 45 - there was no US equivalent - tells it "Reazione Psicopatico") has the same backing track as the Count Five's classic version (albeit with an organ overdub).

Brenton seems to have been a bigger seller almost everywhere in the world than he was in the UK - I've also got Japanese pic sleeve, Spanish pic sleeve, Italian pic sleeve and Jamaican non-pic sleeve 45s.

He's still performing and still packing them in by the thousands in East L.A. If the CD he released a few years back is anything to go by, he's still in good voice, too. Be very nice if someone could persuade him to make a 40th anniversary trip to the UK...

Social source share

This is easily my favourite original colour footage of Brenton Wood in classic form from 1968 on Hugh Hefner's classic US TV show "Playboy After Dark".

This is the swinging 60's at its grooviest !

Coming to you from the Playboy Mansion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this !

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_2mkxM73M&...feature=related

Class cheered me up this morning!!!

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Mr.Wood seems to have been popular over here in Japan too...on checking the shelves I have five 7" and an LP all of his Double Shot recordings on Japanese presses...the LP features a few corking tracks that (sadly) never came out on 45's.

I met him at the LA Soul trip he was wandering around on his todd, had a great chat with him, what a smashing bloke, most of the singers who've had hits turn out to be sh**s but he was top dog. Reckon a few green'ns and he's anybodys. Owning "Gimme little sign" on UK Liberty gave you yards of street cred when I were a nipper lad thumbsup.gif

Social source share

totally agree with the above-stated!

it's a fantastic mid-tempo, and one of Paul Weller's favorite b-sides! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert