Holes?

Guest mickdale

please excuse my ignorance but what are the small holes punched or drilled in the centre section through the label on some 45's for?

cheers

(not the one that centralises the record)

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the best story I heard

bollocks though it is :thumbsup:

was they were drilled through and strung together and used for ballast on ships.? wanker.gif

you never know?? :D

The G man

Not total B******s They did use old deleted records as ballast on ships, and if you had a Tandy store in your town they used to sell them off, unfortunately it was mostly rock and pop 45s bit you could always found Motown or Stax reecords in there and I have still got one or two in the collection from the store in Grimsby :lol:

Social source share

I remember reading somewhere, that the drill hole and the cut out on the LP sleeve was for when they were used as ballast on ships. The customs people knew there was no tax to collect from them or export duty as technically they could not be sold.

This being the only quick and practical way to mark and distinguish them from saleable/taxable records.

Dave H.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Does anyone remember seeing the early Motown label cutouts that came over? Rather than a drill hole, they had a gold star stamped onto the label. Cool I thought.

Social source share

I remember reading somewhere, that the drill hole and the cut out on the LP sleeve was for when they were used as ballast on ships. The customs people knew there was no tax to collect from them or export duty as technically they could not be sold.

the records brought over cheaply in big lots were already bought in the US as cut-outs with the drill hole/cut corner - they'd gone back to the distributor's warehouse unsold from shops (in the days of sale or return)

drill hole/cut-out stuff was also sold in the US - it just went back to the shops as non-returnable bargain bin stuff as mentioned earlier in the thread

re: the ballast thing - was cross-Atlantic shipping was containerised by the 70s? imagine the ballast thing is a myth, but they may have waited to get cheap shipping prices on ships short of cargo

Social source share

the best story I heard

bollocks though it is :lol:

was they were drilled through and strung together and used for ballast on ships.? wanker.gif

you never know?? :)

The G man

I was once told that story.....I said f*ck off at the time, what pillock gonna make a little hole to hang records from when there's a big f*cker in t'middle :)

Social source share

I was once told that story.....I said f*ck off at the time, what pillock gonna make a little hole to hang records from when there's a big f*cker in t'middle :D

Drill holes and other variations of "cut outs" (cut sleeve corners etc) are basically deletions. In other words they haven't been shipped out at normal rates or on sale-or-return terms. The holes (or cuts) are made by the record company or their distributor to identify the deleted (and heavily discounted) copies in case an unscrupulous retailer or wholesaler tries to return them to his supplier for credit.

Also, in most cases a drilled or cut-out record isn't liable for artist royalty payments - at least not at the usual rate.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert