Modern Soul

Tomangoes

It was played all the time in 1976 alongside traditional 60s stuff when I started going to soul events with stuff like the Tramps, Voices of East Harlem, Anderson Brothers etc, so I'm guessing there must have been a start date around the early 70s for the 'new sound' to have been introduced obviously as new releases.

Any of you 50 somethings remember the first modern tunes to be played?

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It was played all the time in 1976 alongside traditional 60s stuff when I started going to soul events with stuff like the Tramps, Voices of East Harlem, Anderson Brothers etc, so I'm guessing there must have been a start date around the early 70s for the 'new sound' to have been introduced obviously as new releases.

Ed

Bloody hell Ed - you've opened one of the proverbial worm cans! :thumbup:

What will ensue may well prove to be messy. There will be debates and slanging matches about the very word "Modern". The said topic will then include references to Ian Levine, Cleethorpes, Mecca etc.

Hold on it could be a bumpy ride!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

What will ensue may well prove to be messy. There will be debates and slanging matches about the very word "Modern". The said topic will then include references to Ian Levine, Cleethorpes, Mecca etc.

Thats the bullet now...lol

Now don't forget the Palais :):(

Social source share

Bumpy Road ahead - The lovelites, not heard that in ages, thanks for reminding me.

Let the insinuations and allegations begin.

Ed

Social source share

Ed

Things like The Fuzz, Otis Smith were only a year or two old when 1st played, but it was the summer of 74 when the floodgates opened. Lots of bland new stuff being played out, Sister Sledge, Ronnie Walker etc.

Social source share

Ed

Late '73 I guess, although you could argue that the likes of First Choice "This Is The House Where Love Died", Millie Jackson's "My Man Is A Sweet Man" and N.F. Porter's "Keep On Keeping On" were all played as new releases at the time long before this.

However, I reckon September 1973 would be a good starting point for the more obvious 70's sounding contemporary Modern tunes on the basis that that was when Gil Scott-Heron's "Winter In America" was released. Since we played "The Bottle" off this as an import album, I guess this would be as good a place as any to start......

Blimey! That's 35 years ago and we call it Modern! :thumbsup:

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

surely every record was a modern record once :( so for the 60's only gang :thumbup: for the modern only gang :) For all that embrace the full spectrum of soul music :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think the big debate would be more about the new releases being played rather than when the term 'Modern Soul' was used first.

As already said, new releases were played right through the 70's (and of course before that, probably even more so)

My first recollections of the term being used regularly was around the time of Snaith, which wasn't while the late 70's.

(Remember that Ed - when you were first learning to drive & I used to sit with you on a Sunday afternoon? :thumbsup: )

Probably something to do with Sam & Arthur when they 'broke off' and started to do their own thing.

I've no doubt it was used earlier than that, maybe by the dealers to diferentiate between the 60's style and more recent 'modern' releases.

I would think people who were in regular contact with such as John Anderson at the time would maybe have a better idea of when that would have been.

Social source share

Probably something to do with Sam & Arthur when they 'broke off' and started to do their own thing.

I've no doubt it was used earlier than that, maybe by the dealers to diferentiate between the 60's style and more recent 'modern' releases.

I think that's about right John - as regards the term "Modern" really being used - I'm sure some would want to disagree. :thumbup:

Social source share

Late '73 I guess, although you could argue that the likes of First Choice "This Is The House Where Love Died", Millie Jackson's "My Man Is A Sweet Man" and N.F. Porter's "Keep On Keeping On" were all played as new releases at the time long before this.

However, I reckon September 1973 would be a good starting point for the more obvious 70's sounding contemporary Modern tunes on the basis that that was when Gil Scott-Heron's "Winter In America" was released. Since we played "The Bottle" off this as an import album, I guess this would be as good a place as any to start......

Blimey! That's 35 years ago and we call it Modern! :thumbsup:

Ian D :)

Ian, in was Sept 74 Winter in America LP came out :thumbup:

Still it was 34 years ago!

Edited by davetay
Social source share

When did modern soul start getting played?

Probably 1991.

When did new releases stop getting played on the northern scene?

Probably about 1985.

There are six missing years

Must be gap years try Thailand, most end up their or Australia. :thumbsup:

Was it called Modern back then or just newer newies.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

:huh: I was only pulling yer leg mate! :thumbsup:

Investigation is going well mate. The culprits know I'm onto them. All will be revealed - sooner rather than later.

:unsure:

I know you were taking the p**s it makes it all the more fun with replys i get off you and Smithers and a few others :P

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Ian only "a year" are you sure one or two more did not go astray in the later 70's :thumbsup:

Steve J

No Steve, that was mainly the 'lost' years of the mid 80's flying around the world in drug-fueled frenzy looking for action! Bloody good time though. Shame I can't remember it LOL............

I was actually young and innocent throughout the Northern Soul years believe it or not which is why I can remember things from then much easier than the mid 80's..........

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

No Steve, that was mainly the 'lost' years of the mid 80's flying around the world in drug-fueled frenzy looking for action! Bloody good time though. Shame I can't remember it LOL............

I was actually young and innocent throughout the Northern Soul years believe it or not which is why I can remember things from then much easier than the mid 80's..........

Ian D :unsure:

Mother Theresa , come on down .........

You can kid those who do not know you , but as for those who do , Ian :thumbsup: ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I think the big debate would be more about the new releases being played rather than when the term 'Modern Soul' was used first.

As already said, new releases were played right through the 70's (and of course before that, probably even more so)

My first recollections of the term being used regularly was around the time of Snaith, which wasn't while the late 70's.

(Remember that Ed - when you were first learning to drive & I used to sit with you on a Sunday afternoon? :( )

I would think people who were in regular contact with such as John Anderson at the time would maybe have a better idea of when that would have been.

Mary Hopkins John......................................

I can also remember a mate at the time called Mick Goulding who was the first lad I knew to wear the mohair jumper, drainpipes, and winkle pickers, who had stuff like, Fifth Amendment, Mandrill, Heartstoppers, Four Sonics, and United Image.

He had decided to sell up the Mecca stuff and concentrate on the new Jazz Funk stuff like 'Sun is here' and 'Peg', but to me at the time this mecca stuff was still cutting edge and rarely played anywhere else.

The Snaith all dayers were great, but small scale, although I think it kick started the Thorne events that only played 'modern'.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert