Top Dj Or Flop Dj ?

Big Mick

At the end of the day everyone has there own opinion of all the DJ's theyve heard whether its Butch or mr nobody at their local do and that will always influence whether theygo to a venue or not. I know when I was at a weekender not long a go I heard two well known DJ's one of which I would travel to see and the other I wouldn't cross the street to see, but thats just my opinion

Regards

Ian

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

A bit of both. partially, yes I think this "rarer stuff" has a specific sound. When I have given it a listen, the majority of it seems to have a slower tempo. I can't describe what I mean very well. Saying slower isn't really accurate becuase there are some amazing ballards out there. I think it's this mid-tempo stuff I'm not mad on.

I hear loads of stuff I dont know and some of it gives me an amazing buzz, I usually find out then that it's already been played to death 20 / 30 years ago and was big in the past. Its not very often that I hear something I dont know which gives me a buzz and it's never been massive previously.

Jayne.x

You need to get out more, hun :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well, I'm out every friday and every saturday night, often going to more than one event. I'm doing my best!. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

I aplologise if I inadvertently offended you, not really my intention, but I still find it slightly weird that if you are out every week end, your a member of SS etc, etc your naivety with regards to NS & who, when, oldies, newies etc is deffo weird still, I think you sound very nice, but I think there is an element of 'fence sitting' here, regardless of when you were born, as this really has no bearing, as your old enough to have been attending venues for at least 18 years.........well, thats if you started slightly illegally as we did................

Russ

Social source share

mmmmmm, with respect Pete. I didn't quote any of your posts, so I can assure you that I wasn't addressing myself to you in particular....but if you don't care a jot about weather people play ovo or not....and you have such an interesting life.....why are you on here at all hours of the day just like us sad beggers that DO CARE....? :huh:

How can you have an opinion on something when you haven't tried it? :unsure: Jayne said that she hadn't heard Butch DJ....and I was making a personal recomendation that she [and anyone else for that matter] should....if you don't like him, then that's fine.....like you said, opinions are like a**e holes, we've all got one......and as for my avitar, that's what it is, mine. I change it, and use it for promotion purposes....and also try to inject a little humour.....sad aren't I. :thumbsup:

Phil.

Well we agree on one thing Phil, recently i have spent far to much time sat at this machine, so i shall start cutting back on the late evening posts after a few glasses :P

Social source share

great subject , this will never get answered ,if you take a "rare soul dj" and put him in an "oldies venue" he will bomb or dissappoint any punters who travel just to see him ,because he plays to the floor.

likewise "oldies dj" in a "rare soul venue" same result.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation, that!

There are DJs that have the variety of records, and sufficient regard for the paying crowd, to entertain at either type of venue. One who can, and does, is Mick H.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

I aplologise if I inadvertently offended you, not really my intention, but I still find it slightly weird that if you are out every week end, your a member of SS etc, etc your naivety with regards to NS & who, when, oldies, newies etc is deffo weird still, I think you sound very nice, but I think there is an element of 'fence sitting' here, regardless of when you were born, as this really has no bearing, as your old enough to have been attending venues for at least 18 years.........well, thats if you started slightly illegally as we did................

Russ

er excuse me but imvho janes posts are far from "weird" and as a punter/dancer myself its our perogative to "sit on the fence" and be "naive".

p.s all you mr djs, notch it up a few gears , whatever it is your playing .PLEASE !!!!!!!. the music is still great but {apart from somewhere ? last weekend } sometimes it seems a bit down tempo WHATEVER GENRE/ERA IT IS . imvho of course.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

first of all there would need to be regional heats and stuff and then of course dj's and collectors need sorting out cos if it's a dj comp then the ones who say "i'm a collector, not a dj" don't qualify .

then when thats done you need to be judged on certain categories

1. record selection

2. dj craft (the mechanics of doing the job)

3. musical flow

4. personality/entertainment cos if they don't have one you'd be as well playing a cdr

Davie

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Russ

No Russ, not offended at all.. I'm giving honest answer's so honest comments work with me.

Not sure why you're surprised or find it weird. I feel like all I've done is eat, sleep and think ns for the last 10 years. I'm not sure what you mean about fence sitting.

I've been out 99% of the weekends since October 1998. in fact that's wrong. Neil took me to my first soul night which was the 25th wigan anniversary at KGH Sept 98.

I've probably been out most weekend since then.

I'm not fence sitting purposely. I think I just like everything in small amounts maybe.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Bit of a sweeping generalisation, that!

There are DJs that have the variety of records, and sufficient regard for the paying crowd, to entertain at either type of venue. One who can, and does, is Mick H.

yes, Neil Jones and Bob Hinsley are two more..

Jayne.x. smile.gif

Social source share

er excuse me but imvho janes posts are far from "weird" and as a punter/dancer myself its our perogative to "sit on the fence" and be "naive".

p.s all you mr djs, notch it up a few gears , whatever it is your playing .PLEASE !!!!!!!. the music is still great but {apart from somewhere ? last weekend } sometimes it seems a bit down tempo WHATEVER GENRE/ERA IT IS . imvho of course.

yeh! "notch it up a few gears" that's what I meant too sarah!. thumbsup.gif . That might get me excited again.. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen
thumbsup.gif its still great but sometimes it just seems to plod along a bit . though went to a great night on saturday, really up tempo :D Edited by sarahleen
Social source share

A lot of the rarer 'nighter newies are solidly uptempo, from whatever decade they were actually recorded in. There seems to be a concerted effort to ratchet the tempo up again, so I don't necessarily agree with the opinion that rare newies=esoteric, medium-paced dross; I think that's a sweeping generalisation.

Burnley, Lifeline, 100 Club etc. all feature deejays who know how to keep the tempo decidedly 'up' on the dancefloor. If the typical diet of new sounds at these venues is too slow for some punters maybe the next logical stop for them is speed garage?

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

A lot of the rarer 'nighter newies are solidly uptempo, from whatever decade they were actually recorded in. There seems to be a concerted effort to ratchet the tempo up again, so I don't necessarily agree with the opinion that rare newies=esoteric, medium-paced dross; I think that's a sweeping generalisation.

Burnley, Lifeline, 100 Club etc. all feature deejays who know how to keep the tempo decidedly 'up' on the dancefloor. If the typical diet of new sounds at these venues is too slow for some punters maybe the next logical stop for them is speed garage?

yes i know . burnley was fantastic , had a great night thumbup.gif . had great nights at all of them really, like i said x

Edited by sarahleen
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well we agree on one thing Phil, recently i have spent far to much time sat at this machine, so i shall start cutting back on the late evening posts after a few glasses laugh.gif

very bad move indeed.....posting on here after a few glasses of wine,am not allowed near the computer after quaffing some for fear of upsetting someone lol :D:boxing:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

this is not always the case gareth....mid tempo and even the odd slower tune,whatever the genre are played,it's just allnighters being what they are...the tempo after 3 o'clock must and should be uptempo...people want to go home on a high which uptempo will do tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A bit of both. partially, yes I think this "rarer stuff" has a specific sound. When I have given it a listen, the majority of it seems to have a slower tempo. I can't describe what I mean very well. Saying slower isn't really accurate becuase there are some amazing ballards out there. I think it's this mid-tempo stuff I'm not mad on.

I hear loads of stuff I dont know and some of it gives me an amazing buzz, I usually find out then that it's already been played to death 20 / 30 years ago and was big in the past. Its not very often that I hear something I dont know which gives me a buzz and it's never been massive previously.

Jayne.x

milton james,tony mathews......will fit in this slower tempo....both bloody AWESOME soul though....both allnighter spins as well thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

yeh! "notch it up a few gears" that's what I meant too sarah!. thumbsup.gif . That might get me excited again.. :boxing:

:lol:

Jayne.x.

:D thinking of the younger crowd too , "we the people" and all that x :shades:

Social source share

LOL - I'll try speed garage then!. :shades:

It is a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I did say I couldn't describe what I mean properly but I am deffo hearing more mid tempo than anything else when I'm in rooms that describe themselves as rare or different. I dont do many alniters at the moment, mainly because I got sick of paying £10 and then being bored to tears a few hours later - that and a few years of solid nighters have taken their toll on me.

Maybe I'm just getting picky in my old age. LOL biggrin.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

LOL - I'll try speed garage then!. :shades:

It is a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I did say I couldn't describe what I mean properly but I am deffo hearing more mid tempo than anything else when I'm in rooms that describe themselves as rare or different. I dont do many alniters at the moment, mainly because I got sick of paying £10 and then being bored to tears a few hours later - that and a few years of solid nighters have taken their toll on me.

Maybe I'm just getting picky in my old age. LOL biggrin.gif

Jayne.x.

I think the 60s rare soul of the last say, twenty-five years, has been less 'uplifting' than the classic Torch, Wigan and Mecca sounds, so you have a point Jayne. To me the crucial record in establishing the line in the sand was Cecil Washington: it's a lot darker in tone than a lot of what went before it. Of course there will always be exceptions but your point is very valid.

Social source share

I think the 60s rare soul of the last say, twenty-five years, has been less 'uplifting' than the classic Torch, Wigan and Mecca sounds, so you have a point Jayne. To me the crucial record in establishing the line in the sand was Cecil Washington: it's a lot darker in tone than a lot of what went before it. Of course there will always be exceptions but your point is very valid.

Now I love Cecil Washington (I nearly bought one a few years ago) but was just outbid. sad.gif

Court Davis - lover who loves you not, (forgot the other name) deffo rare

and I love it to bits..

I shall remain open minded and make an effort to put the next Burnley in my diary and see if things have changed in the last 9 months or so.

Sarahleen - y'bugger! you said we the people, so I had to play it on youtube and I'm now sat here happily randomly flicking through tracks on youtube and drinking my wine instead of hoovering the bedroom!.. biggrin.gif

We the people took me to ellipse to montclaires to Just finding Loveslave - The antellects on here AND I love it. So maybe raresoul's not all bad then.. :shades: (unless someone's about to tell me it's an oldies too!)

Jayne.x (Firmly back on her fence! biggrin.gif )

Social source share

Good points put across there... it is difficult but what I was trying to find out was, if it might be a good idea to rank a dj and/or hold some sort of venue where djs could compete against other djs irrellivent of how long they had been spinning the records. I thought it may be interesting to see, on as many levels as it takes, just what our scene produces as a dj and how 'good' (for want of better words) they could be. Is this a feasable idea to hold a national competition on a once a year basis? Could the dj fraternity benefit, could the scene benefit or even dancers benefit by recognised voting of a djs' ability or shall we just leave things as they are and let the dj tell us how bloody good they are.... in their own mind???????

Social source share

Be great if we could see a panel made up of a 'star' soul artist, dancers/soulies, promoters, media etc... I guess there would, obviously have to be taken into account the many genres involved within the music platform itself in order to judge but that would be down to the 'organisor' not me to sort out. You know... the more I think of a national competition for British djs on the soul scene the better it feels... who knows.. we could include a foriegn section for visiting djs if this was nationally recognised and held at one weekender each year and possibilly rotated so other weekenders could host it in turn... Good idea or bad?

Social source share

Good points put across there... it is difficult but what I was trying to find out was, if it might be a good idea to rank a dj and/or hold some sort of venue where djs could compete against other djs irrellivent of how long they had been spinning the records. I thought it may be interesting to see, on as many levels as it takes, just what our scene produces as a dj and how 'good' (for want of better words) they could be. Is this a feasable idea to hold a national competition on a once a year basis? Could the dj fraternity benefit, could the scene benefit or even dancers benefit by recognised voting of a djs' ability or shall we just leave things as they are and let the dj tell us how bloody good they are.... in their own mind???????

Nope, itd be a nightmare. You know what the ego's on this scene are like. Something like that would cause wars in some county's!. :rolleyes:

In theory, people do it because they love it, they give their best and everyone likes different things. To suggest competition, suggests a winner or that one style is better than the other.

Jayne.x. :no:

Social source share

Be great if we could see a panel made up of a 'star' soul artist, dancers/soulies, promoters, media etc... I guess there would, obviously have to be taken into account the many genres involved within the music platform itself in order to judge but that would be down to the 'organisor' not me to sort out. You know... the more I think of a national competition for British djs on the soul scene the better it feels... who knows.. we could include a foriegn section for visiting djs if this was nationally recognised and held at one weekender each year and possibilly rotated so other weekenders could host it in turn... Good idea or bad?

bad idea - if its taken seriously. Well, no, the idea's good but unworkable in the current scene. A light hearted attempt at a weekender might be ok. ALthough, I'd love it, I'd find it very interesting, but month in and month out I hear DJ's complaining about the times of their spots at venue's if they're not given 'top of the night ' spots, and have had many many DJ's trying to work it so they get top spot, with these types of people Dj'ing, It would lead to allegations of bent judges, unfair advantages and could upset and de-motivate Dj's from doing what they love and resentment to those who do well in it.

I'm sorry I sound so negative, I love the idea and think it would be fun if it was taken in the spirit it's meant, even competitively, but feeling the way I do about this scene and the majority of DJ's on it, I can see trouble ahead. If anyone can convince me, I'm wrong, I'd be made up.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Jayne, your last played tune [sandy Golden] is a Butch spin....and many of the favourites that are played at the "oldies" venues, were originally spun by him, years ago.....

Phil.

As Kev H has already said - a Rob Marriot spin first.

As for "many of the favourites that are played at the "oldies" venues, were originally spun by him, years ago....." I would stick my neck out to say just as many top tunes came from Rob Marriot imo.

Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?

I haven't seen him DJ a lot recently so I really can't comment.

But going on the times I have heard him recently, and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this, I'd say no he isn't.

Would be interested to hear from people who do see him DJ regularly though.

Social source share

Joe Jama My Life

Parliaments This Is My Rainy Day

Ellipsis People

Mellow Madness Save The Youth

Mixed Feelings Sha La La

...just to name five very recent ones without having to scratch my head at all :D

Now I wouldn't associate some of them with Butch. Ellipsis is on my phone at the moment but I'd associate it with Dolly as she introduced it to me. I'd refer to it as " That's the one Dolly played me" rather than anything Butch played.

I've heard others play that Joe Jama, didn't know it was a Butch spin and probably other's too. I'm beginning to think it's me who doesn't pay as much attention as I used to. :rolleyes:

I dont like referring to specific Dj's in threads, it feels wrong for some reason.. bit like talking about people behind their backs.. lol. :no:

Jayne.x.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

As Kev H has already said - a Rob Marriot spin first.

As for "many of the favourites that are played at the "oldies" venues, were originally spun by him, years ago....." I would stick my neck out to say just as many top tunes came from Rob Marriot imo.

Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?

I haven't seen him DJ a lot recently so I really can't comment.

But going on the times I have heard him recently, and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this, I'd say no he isn't.

Would be interested to hear from people who do see him DJ regularly though.

crickey Joan! care to borrow my hat?.. :rolleyes:

Jayne.x. :no:

Social source share

I'm beginning to think it's me who doesn't pay as much attention as I used to. :rolleyes:

Jayne.x.

Maybe you are right about that :no: Many play/played Joe Jama, the first two though were Tim Brown and Butch. I believe Butch was a tad faster LOL . Again it was indeed Mark who put the countries (your country) top DJ`s on Ellipsis. Even Keb started playing it only just after Butch.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Joe Jama My Life

Ellipsis People

Mixed Feelings Sha La La

...just to name five very recent ones without having to scratch my head at all :rolleyes:

any good ones though ?

Social source share

Joe Jama My Life

Ellipsis People

Mixed Feelings Sha La La

...just to name five very recent ones without having to scratch my head at all :rolleyes:

Although I'd rate Butch as one of, if not the top Northern DJ of all time arnt all of them at least 5 year old plays?

Social source share

Although I'd rate Butch as one of, if not the top Northern DJ of all time arnt all of them at least 5 year old plays?

Well, Joan`s question went

"Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?"

my answer simply was, yes, here are some recent ones. As he and most of the so named other "the countries top DJ`s" are still playing said tracks I think one can easily use the term "recent". But having said so if you know any more recent ones without naming his exlusives as we are only on about "broken tunes" go ahead, I gladly sit, watch and learn :rolleyes:

Social source share

you hear lots about Butch being the best on the niter scene. Who's the best on the 'soul night scene' ?..... Is there an equivalent?

Jayne.x

We`ll show you the answer to this on Friday Jayne at Rolls Royce :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well, Joan`s question went

"Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?"

my answer simply was, yes, here are some recent ones. As he and most of the so named other "the countries top DJ`s" are still playing said tracks I think one can easily use the term "recent". But having said so if you know any more recent ones without naming his exlusives as we are only on about "broken tunes" go ahead, I gladly sit, watch and learn :)

I didn't mean to be be picky my good fellow just recent doesn't translate to 5 years or so IMO.

I'll sit back and learn as well, far more qualified people on here then me :ohmy:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

2 more Butch broke recently

Johnny Praye - too much love

Tommy Ds - Dont play the role

and who played margaret little and Contessa first, mind you ive never heard Contessa out ever.

Also all this talk about whos the best DJ is irrelivent as most venues just scratch each others backs its a closed shop. I know a couple of people that could match most but never get the chance as they aint gonna beg to spin tunes for any of these promoters.

Best Darren

Social source share

yes, Neil Jones and Bob Hinsley are two more..

Jayne.x. :)

Hmm.. can't comment really as personally I've only heard them at fairly "conservative" events.

milton james,tony mathews......will fit in this slower tempo....both bloody AWESOME soul though....both allnighter spins as well :ohmy:

Awesome is the right word for Milton James! So powerful I can't really think of it as mid-tempo.

Social source share

I thought Sandy Golden was an occasional spin for Richard at the Casino. I mean I know it was but did Rob M. play it first.

Also whilst I think Butch is streets ahead it's not exactly rocket science to break Johnny Praye and the Arthur Willis, that Marc has recently listened to, as both are good Northern 45s with all the right ingredients

ROD

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I thought Sandy Golden was an occasional spin for Richard at the Casino. I mean I know it was but did Rob M. play it first.

Also whilst I think Butch is streets ahead it's not exactly rocket science to break Johnny Praye and the Arthur Willis, that Marc has recently listened to, as both are good Northern 45s with all the right ingredients

ROD

ya gotta find em first!!......right in thinking only 3 or 4 arthur willis ?....seem to remember andy rix playing this long time ago? tezza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!