Top Dj Or Flop Dj ?

Big Mick

That brings up another interesting point...DJ's that are much younger and have no history of attending the Wigans/etc...they have a completely fresh ear to all the sounds and therefore cannot be swayed by trends? Surely they will be more inclined to base their purchases solely on the quality of the record and not it's past plays.

Up to a point I agree but experience and what's gone before counts for a lot. I don't know many young DJ's who have something fresh to offer, something that hasn't already gone before. I've heard some young DJ's, 17/18 years old or so and all they play are oldies, influenced by their parents and the venues their parents took them too. Granted not all young DJ's are like this but the majority that I've heard are and they bring nothing new tro the table I'm afraid in many cases.

Social source share

That brings up another interesting point...DJ's that are much younger and have no history of attending the Wigans/etc...they have a completely fresh ear to all the sounds and therefore cannot be swayed by trends? Surely they will be more inclined to base their purchases solely on the quality of the record and not it's past plays.

Nope. Dont think so.. If someone is starting out as a new DJ, they're going to want dancefloor impact first SO they'll do their research and fill their box with tried and tested floorfillers..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Playing general soul music and northern soul are two different fields altogether. As Gareth says you can't just pitch up on this scene, say you are a dj in another life, it will not wash on this scene what you've done elsewhere, promoters and punters alike don't care for other scenes or what others have done in their lives. Your statement about anyone around your parts with 20 records etc can get behind the decks, well are you not in that group also? Some of those with 20 records or more have probably got more experience and knowledge than you have of this scene, been around longer and therefore maybe warrant a shot ahead of newcomers like yourself. As I said what you have done elsewhere counts for nothing on the rare/northern (whatever you want to call it) soul scene.

Chalky my friend...you don't have to rip apart every post I make...all I was stating is that I have a right to call myself a DJ...sometimes when times have been hard it's been the only thing that keeps bread on the table...I think that entitles me to make that statement...like it or not...and for the record my collection of rare soul is gathering momentum and i'd like to think I have a nice little collection taking shape...

Incidentally i'm playing the Tiger Lounge on Thursday in Manchester...purely Northern Soul... so if anyone wants to pop along to say hello you are more than welcome :D

Social source share

true but they dont HAVE to be youngsters either....my brother done the niters in the 70s i did the scooter rallies in the 80s BUT the other djs at go go in bristol have nothing to do with soul/scooter scenes although they have been djs and soul fans since the late 70s !....they know a lot of the big tunes but are collecters first and play what they think are quality tunes rather than what is played at other venues.....they dont wish to break into this scene......this gives our nite a freshness not many other nites have...and these are not my words but that of a travelling lifelong soulie....

we are also lucky to have a crowd half full with youngsters who have no real knowledge or experience of the scene so are not bias to top 500 anymore than unknown tracks they just wanna dance.....but i better shut up now cos im wandering off this thread now and will be accused of trying to plug our nite :D ...

Social source share

Chalky my friend...you don't have to rip apart every post I make...all I was stating is that I have a right to call myself a DJ...sometimes when times have been hard it's been the only thing that keeps bread on the table...I think that entitles me to make that statement...like it or not...and for the record my collection of rare soul is gathering momentum and i'd like to think I have a nice little collection taking shape...

Incidentally i'm playing the Tiger Lounge on Thursday in Manchester...purely Northern Soul... so if anyone wants to pop along to say hello you are more than welcome :D

I'm ripping nothing apart Beeks my friend....it's just how your posts come across. Again what you've done in the past on other scenes counts for nothing on the northern scene, how you earnt your money in your past has nothing to do with what you are doing now on the northern soul scene.

Have a good night on Thursday.

Social source share

Up to a point I agree but experience and what's gone before counts for a lot. I don't know many young DJ's who have something fresh to offer, something that hasn't already gone before. I've heard some young DJ's, 17/18 years old or so and all they play are oldies, influenced by their parents and the venues their parents took them too. Granted not all young DJ's are like this but the majority that I've heard are and they bring nothing new tro the table I'm afraid in many cases.

spooky! :D

Social source share

If someone is starting out as a new DJ, they're going to want dancefloor impact first SO they'll do their research and fill their box with tried and tested floorfillers..

Jayne.x.

Surely that's a contradiction in terms?

If a DJ wants to make an impact on the scene...why on earth would he gather together a group of records that have already been hammered to death? when every other Tom Dick and Harry is playing exactly the same records? Thats a bad case of Sheep mentality and hardly making people sit up and take notice

Many DJs on here talk about originality...punters talk about wanting to hear rare records and underplayed music...yet in the same breath talk about tried and tested floorfillers?

Social source share

Surely that's a contradiction in terms?

If a DJ wants to make an impact on the scene...why on earth would he gather together a group of records that have already been hammered to death? when every other Tom Dick and Harry is playing exactly the same records? Thats a bad case of Sheep mentality and hardly making people sit up and take notice

Many DJs on here talk about originality...punters talk about wanting to hear rare records and underplayed music...yet in the same breath talk about tried and tested floorfillers?

BECAUSE...(oh, dont get me goin' on this..LOL) of a variety of reasons. I'm not saying logically its the right thing to do, like Chalky I'm saying it, because it's what's gone

before. Entering into this big tank of piranha's.. is hard enough.. (the cut throat, backstabbing world of DJ'ing that is) and with everyone wanting to be a DJ, getting support is hard, even harder when you're a kid. We've discussed this in other threads. At least if you can proove you can fill the dancefloor and you understand what the majority of dancers want, you stand a chance of getting bookings. Promotors dont want collectors who will empty the floor, they want DJ's who'll make people dance.

Once someone is taken slightly serious as a DJ, then they can start playing something special and make people sit up and take notice. It goes back to what was said earlier about it being harder for a Dj'ing nobody to break new tunes. If they've got the B7lls to start playing what they really love and believe in, perfecto!.

Dont presume that the majority of Northern soul punters want to hear rare and underplayed music btw.

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

BECAUSE...(oh, dont get me goin' on this..LOL) of a variety of reasons. I'm not saying logically its the right thing to do, like Chalky I'm saying it, because it's what's gone

before. Entering into this big tank of piranha's.. is hard enough.. (the cut throat, backstabbing world of DJ'ing that is) and with everyone wanting to be a DJ, getting support is hard, even harder when you're a kid. We've discussed this in other threads. At least if you can proove you can fill the dancefloor and you understand what the majority of dancers want, you stand a chance of getting bookings. Promotors dont want collectors who will empty the floor, they want DJ's who'll make people dance.

Once someone is taken slightly serious as a DJ, then they can start playing something special and make people sit up and take notice. It goes back to what was said earlier about it being harder for a Dj'ing nobody to break new tunes. If they've got the B7lls to start playing what they really love and believe in, perfecto!.

Dont presume that the majority of Northern soul punters want to hear rare and underplayed music btw.

Jayne.x

I agree with what you are trying to say...but there are plenty of great dancers that fall outside of the top 500 that you couldn't help but dance to...because im listening with relatively new ears I find it difficult to comprehend that you have to play a certain amount of SET records because that would be insulting the intelligence of the crowd that they can't recognise a great soul tune outside of what is generally acceptable as one...god there are thousands of records out there...the top 500 are what they are because they are great records...but I see them more as a guideline and will try to only cherry pick a few of them to sprinkle in from time to time...if getting into this scene means I have to play the same tunes as every other DJ then i'm going to struggle because it would go against everything I believe in when it comes to originality :)

Social source share

beeks why dont you post up a playlist of say 25 records so we can look at the origanality of those tunes ?

When I first joined here i'd have taken you up on that invitation....apart from the fact i've become a little more savvy after discussions with several learned people on this scene in real life that I should never post up records on here...especailly in the wants section of anything that might be deemed dancefloor worthy...if it is in any way underplayed and good, then copies start exchanging hands quickly, so i'd rather keep my records to myself on here...however you're quite welcome to come along and listen whenever and wherever I play out :)

Social source share

beeks old bean..........i have omly dj d a couple of times in 10 years back on the scene and was proud to post my playlists......some rare some unknown some easy to find....looks like you caught the biggest bug in northern djin already mate........PARANOIA :):lol:

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

IMHO ROB MARRIOT WILL ALWAYS BE THE BOLLOCKS HE RAISED THE ANTI TO ANOTHER LEVEL AND CONSISTENTLY TURNED UP QUALITY RECORDS.I THINK IT IS SO HARD NOW TO ACTUALLY SAY WHAT MAKES A QUALITY DJ SO MANY ARGUMENTS COME INTO THE EQUATION,THE SCENE HAS, AS ALOT OF US KNOW IT HAS WAY GONE AND PUNTERS ARE NOW SPLIT BY A MYRIAD OF SOUL NIGHTS ALL WITH DIFFERNT MUSIC POLICYS ETC.

MY QUESTION IS WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT FROM A SET? DO YOU WANT OBSCURITY AFTER OBSCURITY DONT THINK SO,A GOOD MIX DOES IT FOR ME AS A SOUL FAN ALOT OF THE RARER RECORDS LIKE SANDIE GOLDEN ETC JUST DO IT FOR ME MAINLY BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO SO MUCH OVER THE YEARS AND I LIKE TO THINK MY TASTES HAVE EVOLVED WITH THAT!!

TAKE ANDY DYSONS LAST SET AT THE LAST WILTON I LOVED IT VERY FRESH HE THROWS IN SOLID SOLUTION AND THE DANCE FLOOR CLEARS WELL F--K ME ITS JUST CLEARED TO ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS OF THE NIGHT ,TO ME THIS SAYS MORE ABOUT THE WILTON THAN THE ACTUAL CHOICE OF THIS DICS WITH THE UPTEMPO SIXTIES FLAVOUR BEEN THE PARTICULAR CART BLANCH THAT NIGHT IMHO.

THE THING I HAVE FOUND DIFFICULT WITH BUTCH"S SETS IS THAT THERE IS AN ALMOST INVINSIBLE PERSONA AROUND SOME OF HIS CHOICES!

HE PLAYS LEE FIELDS AND WOOSH £700 QUID !! AGAIN THAT SAYS MORE ABOUT THE SCENE THAN THE CHOICE OF RECORD WHICH INCIDENTLY IS A GOOD RECORD BUT NOT A GREAT RECORD.I HAVE NOTHING BUT ADMIRATION AND RESPECT FOR BUTCH,HES OUT THERE NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AND BOY YOU MAKE MISTAKES ON THE RARE SOUL SCENE AND YOUR SHOT WITH HOT BALLS OF SHIT.

IT IS THE INCESSANT CONTINUAL PURSUIT OF RARE AS OPPOSED TO QUALITY WHICH IS HURTING THIS SCENE IMHO FOR TOO LONG THE CHEQUE BOOK HAS RULED THE ROOST AND THE SETS WITH THE BIG TUNES ARE JUST THAT SETS WITH BIG TUNES, WHICH SOME WHERE ALONG THE LINE THOSE FORTUNATE TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED LONG ENOUGH HAVE HEARD ANYWAY!!!

GET SOME FUNK,LATIN,CROSSOVER AND CHEAP SIXTIES THAT HAVE NOT HAD THEIR ARSES SPUN OUT OF THEM THEN FINISH YOUR SET WITH MARCELLE STRONG AD THE TRIAD THERES MY PERFECT SET [THINK THATS WHY I DONT GET OUT MUCH ANYMORE]LOL.

BAZ A. :lol:

:) well said Baz

Social source share

I agree with what you are trying to say...but there are plenty of great dancers that fall outside of the top 500 that you couldn't help but dance to...because im listening with relatively new ears I find it difficult to comprehend that you have to play a certain amount of SET records because that would be insulting the intelligence of the crowd that they can't recognise a great soul tune outside of what is generally acceptable as one...god there are thousands of records out there...the top 500 are what they are because they are great records...but I see them more as a guideline and will try to only cherry pick a few of them to sprinkle in from time to time...if getting into this scene means I have to play the same tunes as every other DJ then i'm going to struggle because it would go against everything I believe in when it comes to originality :)

Dont forget, part of this scene is a nostalgia scene. Some people dont want educating, they want a good night out listening to records they love. They want to get on that dancefloor and feel like they're 18 again. I'd still say this is the majority of northern soul fans judging the level of attendances at various venues.

Many up and coming DJ's want to please the promotor's as well as the punters as that's where the booking come from. Promotor's want atmosphere and full dance floors (in most cases)

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Dont forget, part of this scene is a nostalgia scene. Some people dont want educating, they want a good night out listening to records they love. They want to get on that dancefloor and feel like they're 18 again. I'd still say this is the majority of northern soul fans judging the level of attendances at various venues.

Jayne.x.

Absolutely :)

Social source share

It's not a statement to impress Gareth...and if it came across like that I apologise...but I have been behind the turntables semi professionally for over half of my life so it's not just a flippant comment it's one I feel I am entitled to make...and going back to a previous post i've made it seems that around these parts anyone with 20 records or more thinks they can get behind the decks...ok granted...My DJ experience has not been on this scene...but iv've been playing Soul music for a very long time in bars and clubs and I think eventually...and I concur it will take time and effort...i'd like to think I can get a dancefloor moving round these parts :)

Have to say Beeks (and this is not meant in a derogatory way), that you don't seem to 'get it'. You've approached the scene from a DJ angle from the git go. You are about the only person I've ever 'met' that ever did that. The fact that you were a DJ in pubs and bars playing soul music means the sum total of zip on the rare soul scene. It's like saying 'I used to open for Status Quo'. :lol:

Do you know any real collectors? (Not giuys with 300 45s who DJ every week). I'm talking about guys that have collected for many years, that have whole runs of labels, people who have all spectrums of Rare Soul tucked away in ther boxes. Once again, this is not meant in any derrogatory way but maybe the DJ angle is limiting your outlook.

Social source share

When I first joined here i'd have taken you up on that invitation....apart from the fact i've become a little more savvy after discussions with several learned people on this scene in real life that I should never post up records on here...especailly in the wants section of anything that might be deemed dancefloor worthy...if it is in any way underplayed and good, then copies start exchanging hands quickly, so i'd rather keep my records to myself on here...however you're quite welcome to come along and listen whenever and wherever I play out :lol:

With all due respect Beeks ( and I've got no axe to grind here ) that's complete twaddle. We've been posting playlists from our soul nght for 2 years and I've not noticed any of my cheap underplayed tunes soaring in value, I wish :) You seriously think posting a list of 25 of your top records will have any effect on anything?? I dont think so

Social source share

With all due respect Beeks ( and I've got no axe to grind here ) that's complete twaddle. We've been posting playlists from our soul nght for 2 years and I've not noticed any of my cheap underplayed tunes soaring in value, I wish ph34r.gif You seriously think posting a list of 25 of your top records will have any effect on anything?? I dont think so

Hiya Steve,

Hmmm...I'm not so sure y'know.. I think it depends who's play list it is. If some of these 'big hitters' playlists go up, I'll bet it makes some people go find. I've known people do it..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

you hot boxer you laugh.gif .Selling that Idris M 12" Brett?...Kev.Sorry off topic....again.

As i arm myself, no you can't have it...you gonna' make a show at the Qube Kev ?, be good to see you again mate.

Social source share

When I first joined here i'd have taken you up on that invitation....apart from the fact i've become a little more savvy after discussions with several learned people on this scene in real life that I should never post up records on here...especailly in the wants section of anything that might be deemed dancefloor worthy...if it is in any way underplayed and good, then copies start exchanging hands quickly, so i'd rather keep my records to myself on here...however you're quite welcome to come along and listen whenever and wherever I play out :lol:

Oh Dear! A legend in your own lunchbox already. laugh.gif I'd be interested in seeing a 'playlist' of undiscovered or underplayed, little known, records that are a result of you striving for the originality that's so important to you. You do realise Beeks old chum that some of us have been listening to this music for over 30 years! And we struggle to find what you're apparently finding with consumate ease. tongue.gif

And from the comfort of your own home too....you've obviously got the 'golden touch'.

Social source share

When I first joined here i'd have taken you up on that invitation....apart from the fact i've become a little more savvy after discussions with several learned people on this scene in real life that I should never post up records on here...especailly in the wants section of anything that might be deemed dancefloor worthy...if it is in any way underplayed and good, then copies start exchanging hands quickly, so i'd rather keep my records to myself on here...however you're quite welcome to come along and listen whenever and wherever I play out biggrin.gif

C'mon Beeks, don't shit out on us now in our time of need LOL. laugh.gif

I'd be genuinely interested in a list, just to see your perspective on things. Don't worry about posting - just about everything's available at a price or will turn up sooner or later - just check the Sales threads on SS for a start - hundreds of killers and all pretty cheap I think.

Now is not the time to be shy!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

When I first joined here i'd have taken you up on that invitation....apart from the fact i've become a little more savvy after discussions with several learned people on this scene in real life that I should never post up records on here...especailly in the wants section of anything that might be deemed dancefloor worthy...if it is in any way underplayed and good, then copies start exchanging hands quickly, so i'd rather keep my records to myself on here...however you're quite welcome to come along and listen whenever and wherever I play out biggrin.gif

oh dear beeks...you certainly know how to put people off you ! ohmy.gif ....come on show us your tunes !.....as has been said if a BIG dj plays a tune demand and price will go up ...but not if you put a wants list up !....wanna know what i play ? look in ANY past go go children lookback review :(

Dont forget, part of this scene is a nostalgia scene. Some people dont want educating, they want a good night out listening to records they love. They want to get on that dancefloor and feel like they're 18 again. I'd still say this is the majority of northern soul fans judging the level of attendances at various venues

right or wrong...spot on miss burysoul !!

Social source share

Which one? The one on 20th Century?

Phil

no Phil,the one on Cyclone ,"i don't love you anymore" . That's the title Phil,not aimed at you pal :( .

I've got a spare if its not claimed in the next 24 hours whistling.gif ,by a certain member............................................ shades.gif .

Social source share

Come on lads...do you really think i'm going to post up what's in my box on here with your 10 billion(Rough estimate and not based on actual fact) years of combined experience...surely you wouldn't be interested in my playlist but for one reason alone...to rip it apart...besides...I don't want another 10 pages of crap about my choices...

In A Nutshell

No Thanks about the playlist...but on the flip side...thanks for taking an interest wink.gif

PS. Don't worry Joan...i'm no threat to you JUST yet tongue.gif

Social source share

Come on lads...do you really think i'm going to post up what's in my box on here with your 10 billion(Rough estimate and not based on actual fact) years of combined experience...surely you wouldn't be interested in my playlist but for one reason alone...to rip it apart...besides...I don't want another 10 pages of crap about my choices...

In A Nutshell

No Thanks about the playlist...but on the flip side...thanks for taking an interest wink.gif

I'm disappointed in you Beeks.

I would have thought this was a good opportunity to show your taste.

How about if I arrange a cease-fire and disallow any barbed comments?

Be Bold Beeks!

Ian D :(

Social source share

I'm disappointed in you Beeks.

I would have thought this was a good opportunity to show your taste.

How about if I arrange a cease-fire and disallow any barbed comments?

Be Bold Beeks!

Ian D :(

COME ON IAN!! :wave:

Give the guy a break! Why do these threads always descend into being about me?!

Contrary to popular belief my ego doesn't demand that I end up being the subject of every topic no.gif

Anyone wants to hear my set can either come down to the Tiger Lounge on Thursday or can book me...either way you won't be disappointed...now you can all leave me be and go pick on Levine or something shades.gif

Social source share

In A Nutshell

I understand why you're not doing, I've had it all said to me, 'Dont post up tunes on SS, folks will just rip the p&ss out you for one thing or another' or ' as soon as people know you want something the price goes up' etc.. (the latter only really applying to known DJ's I think) But if I'd listened to all that I wouldn't have learned half as much, nor would have have got my hands on many a tune.

I, and many others, get shit for not knowing what are super well known 'played out oldies' that I enquire about. I got loads when I asked about that track 'beggin' - from so called friends as well!..

My theory is f'k 'em!.. if I dont ask, I'll never learn. Posting up a playlist is one thing but to purposely not use the Sales forum is a shame. There are many good people on here who would help you get what you're looking for without ripping you off.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

COME ON IAN!! :(

Contrary to popular belief my ego doesn't demand that I end up being the subject of every topic no.gif

Anyone wants to hear my set can either come down to the Tiger Lounge on Thursday or can book me...either way you won't be disappointed...now you can all leave me be and go pick on Levine or something shades.gif

post a playlist after your gig,then we'll see if your a Tiger or Pussycat. :wave: .Come on Beeks, dive in the water's lovely(in the shallow end of the gene pool).

Levine baiting is off my menu for good.

Social source share

COME ON IAN!! :(

Is the Tiger Lounge the place near the Town Hall and the City Inn and Vine?

So many "lounges" in Manchester I get confused. If it's the one I'm thinking of Rich and I have been there a couple of times on a Saturday night, they play soundtrack,oddball pop,psych...well anything really.

Is it every Thursday or just a one off?

Social source share

So many "lounges" in Manchester I get confused. If it's the one I'm thinking of Rich and I have been there a couple of times on a Saturday night, they play soundtrack,oddball pop,psych...well anything really.

It's in ..bloody hell, my mind's gone blank. that big place facing Urbis.. ohmy.gif

Jayne. sad.gif clearly having a senior moment.

Social source share

Anyone who knows me Beeks will tell you I'd much rather go and dance.

That's what the soul scene is about for me. Good records and dancing. And I don't give a fig who plays them!

If you played good records I'd dance. If you played a good spot I'd say so. As I would with anyone.

So knock yourself out hun. I look forward to seeing you play sometime. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It's in ..bloody hell, my mind's gone blank. that big place facing Urbis.. ohmy.gif

Jayne. :( clearly having a senior moment.

Ah the Printworks!

I know the place now wink.gif I may bob down as I work evenings in Didsbury - you up for it Jayne?

Social source share

It's near the Town Hall Reg, off Princess Street...i'm just playing at 'The In Crowd' it's fortnightly but i'm just guesting on Thurs

Social source share

It's near the Town Hall Reg, off Princess Street...i'm just playing at 'The In Crowd' it's fortnightly but i'm just guesting on Thurs

Is that Dave Jackson's night?

I'm confused now as I was sure there was also a tiger lounge in the printworks?

Edited by Reg
Social source share

In A Nutshell

No Thanks about the playlist...but on the flop( laugh.gif ) side...thanks for taking an interest :(

PS. Don't worry Joan...i'm no threat to you JUST yet :wave:

hey we're not just taking an interest,we want to know yer blood group next. laugh.gif

Social source share

Anyone who knows me Beeks will tell you I'd much rather go and dance.

That's what the soul scene is about for me. Good records and dancing. And I don't give a fig who plays them!

If you played good records I'd dance. If you played a good spot I'd say so. As I would with anyone.

So knock yourself out hun. I look forward to seeing you play sometime. thumbsup.gif

Fair comment Joan thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Is that Dave Jackson's night?

I'm confused now as I was sure there was also a tiger lounge in the printworks?

You're thinking of Tiger Tiger and yeah it's Daves night

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Yep, Jayne confused me! tongue.gif

Guilty!.. sorry Reg!.. I said I was having a senior moment.. rolleyes.gif

Whereabouts off Princess St?... I've just walked most of princess street actually.

Have you anymore details on the night Beeks?, times, ££, etc..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guilty!.. sorry Reg!.. I said I was having a senior moment.. rolleyes.gif

Whereabouts off Princess St?... I've just walked most of princess street actually.

Have you anymore details on the night Beeks?, times, ££, etc..

Jayne.x

Yeah it's free entry...and it's on Cooper Street off Princess street on the town hall side...it's on from 9pm to 2am

Come along...the more the merrier...should be a good night thumbsup.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Yeah it's free entry...and it's on Cooper Street off Princess street on the town hall side...it's on from 9pm to 2am

Come along...the more the merrier...should be a good night thumbsup.gif

I think its actually called Slice Bar innit Beeks?

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!