Top Dj Or Flop Dj ?

Big Mick

what ALL of em lol :thumbsup:

I wish!! Them two and a couple of others, maybe Eddie Billips on Peachtree if he played it first.

What Butch is the best at IMO is being able to recognise a good potential record on first hearing and knowing when to programme it into his sets. And of course finding records for himself which probably make up the majority of his plays.

ROD

Social source share

As Kev H has already said - a Rob Marriot spin first.

As for "many of the favourites that are played at the "oldies" venues, were originally spun by him, years ago....." I would stick my neck out to say just as many top tunes came from Rob Marriot imo.

Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?

I haven't seen him DJ a lot recently so I really can't comment.

But going on the times I have heard him recently, and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this, I'd say no he isn't.

Would be interested to hear from people who do see him DJ regularly though.

Sorry Joan, that's just me showing my ignorance....when I enquired about Sandy Golden a while ago, I was told by someone that it was a Butch spin, and I took his word as gospel.. :thumbsup: ..but when you have had twenty years away from the scene as I have.....their are large holes in your knowlage......after hearing tapes at Cliff's house, and hearing about Mr. Marriot I would have loved to hear him DJ...sadly that will never happen...think I missed a golden era. :lol:

Social source share

it is now Phil,many moons ago a Rob Marriot spin,then it went to Soul Sam for a while,,,,but as they say ........that's for another thread............KEV :(

=======================================================================

Sandy Goulden.....Was,nt it originally a Dickie Searling spin 80-81 ?

Social source share

..but when you have had twenty years away from the scene as I have.....their are large holes in your knowlage......after hearing tapes at Cliff's house,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tapes what tapes are those Phil..League of Gentlemen & Rising Damp :(

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I wish!! Them two and a couple of others, maybe Eddie Billips on Peachtree if he played it first.

What Butch is the best at IMO is being able to recognise a good potential record on first hearing and knowing when to programme it into his sets. And of course finding records for himself which probably make up the majority of his plays.

ROD

your spot on there rod.....l remember butch havin both HANK HODGES at bretby in the late eighties...a great ear ...sadly no hair lol only joking :(:lol::lol:

Social source share

Sorry Joan, that's just me showing my ignorance....when I enquired about Sandy Golden a while ago, I was told by someone that it was a Butch spin, and I took his word as gospel.. :thumbsup: ..but when you have had twenty years away from the scene as I have.....their are large holes in your knowlage......after hearing tapes at Cliff's house, and hearing about Mr. Marriot I would have loved to hear him DJ...sadly that will never happen...think I missed a golden era. :ohmy:

Ion Played Sandy Golden as well, think it was before the tall youth Rob made it big but I'm not 100%, can anyone remember? my memories in the shed ohmy.gif

Kitch is also spinning it too.

Love the record - control on Sandy's voice is stunning

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Also all this talk about whos the best DJ is irrelivent as most venues just scratch each others backs its a closed shop. I know a couple of people that could match most but never get the chance as they aint gonna beg to spin tunes for any of these promoters.

Best Darren

This is what I'm trying to say... couldn't have put it better..."closed shop".. I used to dj over the years, mainly oldies and R&B and always encouraged new comers to try their hand. But the idea of this post is to stirr up some response and highlite the possibility that out there are up and coming djs who would love the chance to play. Some new djs dont get the breaks and organisors concentrate on 'safe' djs and big names... But don't you think things would open up if all interested parties were able to take part in a copmpetition of this sort were the new and lesser known djs could 'showcase' themselves on the same forum as so called 'big names' and with the added bonus of perspective and established organisers taking note of the performance of new djs enabling all to be NOTICED ....? g.gif

Social source share

Ion Played Sandy Golden as well, think it was before the tall youth Rob made it big but I'm not 100%, can anyone remember? my memories in the shed ohmy.gif

Kitch is also spinning it too.

Love the record - control on Sandy's voice is stunning

Think the Sandi Golden played by Ion, Searling and Rob Marriot was the same copy but can't be 100% sure. The two recent copies were both ebay auctions and both practically minters if memory serves. I can't remember RM spinning When We're All Alone which is maybe the preferred side these days: a version of The Sweets on Soul Town and, for me, the better use of the backing track: sultry femme soul.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

rob marriot played sandi golden at cliff steeles detroit academicals doos late 70's early 80's ....l think????. is she not the lead singer with the sweets?

Social source share

rob marriot played sandi golden at cliff steeles detroit academicals doos late 70's early 80's ....l think????. is she not the lead singer with the sweets?

My recollection of it was that Rob had it later in the 80s and maybe early into the 90s Terry, but I'm pretty certain that the record was known from a single copy until the next one turned up in the winter of 2005. The next one after that was last summer, I'm guessing. Think both came from either Phoenix, Arizona or somewhere in Nevada. The Sweets connection would make sense but I don't have a definitive answer on that. Great record and was always something of an event when Rob played You Are My Everything. I had both sides on a cassette and had not heard the other side played in a club until the recent copies turned up.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Maybe this is a good idea and can you include young people like me as you would say.

Although it might raise some eyebrows based on how young i am and can i really please the crowd to try and win a dj competition for best DJ. as i would say you have to please everyone especially if it's a mixed Northern night people want oldies they know, oldies they not know, maybe R & B, some crossover and of course modern known and unknown.

For a DJ how do they expect to do that trying to please a punter. If it was me i would play what is something i hope people can dance to and like, wouldn't class myself as the best but i would try

i remember the city club in Peterborough when Mick Cooper and Stef ran it. they did the good 1st spot of bringing a rookie to DJ who could DJ to see what they are like giving them a chance they wouldn't get elsewhere cause venues wanted DJ's they know and have seen

I got my chance to DJ sadly like others at the time they would play only to the few who came to see as many would come later when i had finished aswell as others. The few that did turn up said i did a good job some of the tunes i played was Homer Banks - 60 Minutes of Your Love (Coops loved it), Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - Help Yourself (Stef said nice to hear some old club sounds), Jackie Wilson - Open The Door To Your Heart, Alex Brown - Love Really Hurts without You, Elgins - Stay In My Lonely Arms and many others if you want the list just message me and i will show you.

I also understand on the local DJ's who are well known and good within there region but a little known outside as i think Keith Wilcox and Martin Stanford are top DJ's here but not always known outside of the Cambridgeshire area etc

Social source share

My recollection of it was that Rob had it later in the 80s and maybe early into the 90s Terry, but I'm pretty certain that the record was known from a single copy until the next one turned up in the winter of 2005. The next one after that was last summer, I'm guessing. Think both came from either Phoenix, Arizona or somewhere in Nevada. The Sweets connection would make sense but I don't have a definitive answer on that. Great record and was always something of an event when Rob played You Are My Everything. I had both sides on a cassette and had not heard the other side played in a club until the recent copies turned up.

also got it on a tape that Tony Parker did for me dated 1994 listed in brackets acetate ? brill tune :thumbup: dont know where He sourced it from

Social source share

Ion had it mid 80's, have a cd copy of a tape Ion did from '85 with it on. Rob later in the 80's and then sold to RS along with couple of other records. She is apparently the singer with the Sweets, the flip has same backing to the flip of the Sweets does it not.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Maybe you are right about that :thumbup: Many play/played Joe Jama, the first two though were Tim Brown and Butch. I believe Butch was a tad faster LOL . Again it was indeed Mark who put the countries (your country) top DJ`s on Ellipsis. Even Keb started playing it only just after Butch.

Marc

Joe Jama was as you say Tim Brown, couple or so years later Mick H got a copy. Butch was later still long after it had been "broken".

Social source share

Butch has broke some fantastic tunes over the years without a doubt. But is he still doing it?

yes, last couple of years there was the Parliaments of course, Gerri Taylor - It's Beautiful cover up (great it is too) and even more recently the Four Perfections cover up. He's a few other cover ups I struggle to remember the names as well :thumbup:

Social source share

2 more Butch broke recently

Johnny Praye - too much love

Tommy Ds - Dont play the role

and who played margaret little and Contessa first, mind you ive never heard Contessa out ever.

Also all this talk about whos the best DJ is irrelivent as most venues just scratch each others backs its a closed shop. I know a couple of people that could match most but never get the chance as they aint gonna beg to spin tunes for any of these promoters.

Best Darren

Butch has been playing the Johnny Praye covered up since around 1992, Tommy Tate (Jerry Williams cover up) for over ten years as well. He never really pushed either enough IMHO. Wasn't until Andy Dyson got copies that they were given some serious turntable action that the records too off.

Contessa was originally Pat Brady, it's a one known copuy record isn't it??? who is playing it now?

Social source share

it is now Phil,many moons ago a Rob Marriot spin,then it went to Soul Sam for a while,,,,but as they say ........that's for another thread............KEV :thumbup:

don't recall Sam ever playing it, Rob sold it to Richard. Could be hazy memory but was Sam about Djing on the Northern Scene that much early 90's? Can't recall hearing him that much.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i remember the city club in Peterborough when Mick Cooper and Stef ran it. they did the good 1st spot of bringing a rookie to DJ who could DJ to see what they are like giving them a chance they wouldn't get elsewhere cause venues wanted DJ's they know and have seen

we used to do this at basics but we ran out od newcomers

Social source share

Again it was indeed Mark who put the countries (your country) top DJ`s on Ellipsis. Even Keb started playing it only just after Butch.

Marc

i'm 99.9% certain that keb was playing this way before anyone marc, including butch....he got it at least 6/7 years ago and paid dante carfagna a decent wedge for it at the time :thumbup:

Social source share

don't recall Sam ever playing it, Rob sold it to Richard. Could be hazy memory but was Sam about Djing on the Northern Scene that much early 90's? Can't recall hearing him that much.

you're probably right Chalky,but seen to recall Sam paying Rob a visit when selling up.I've been wrong before :thumbup: .

Social source share

Ion had it mid 80's, have a cd copy of a tape Ion did from '85 with it on. Rob later in the 80's and then sold to RS along with couple of other records. She is apparently the singer with the Sweets, the flip has same backing to the flip of the Sweets does it not.

As I said above Chalky: Ion to Rob to Searling, all the same copy until the recent ebay examples. Tony Smith will know more about the various deals, I'm sure.

Social source share

I think his U-turn was 1991 Chalky ( I would say it took a while for the bookings to come) . but Steve will confirm :wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

IMHO ROB MARRIOT WILL ALWAYS BE THE BOLLOCKS HE RAISED THE ANTI TO ANOTHER LEVEL AND CONSISTENTLY TURNED UP QUALITY RECORDS.I THINK IT IS SO HARD NOW TO ACTUALLY SAY WHAT MAKES A QUALITY DJ SO MANY ARGUMENTS COME INTO THE EQUATION,THE SCENE HAS, AS ALOT OF US KNOW IT HAS WAY GONE AND PUNTERS ARE NOW SPLIT BY A MYRIAD OF SOUL NIGHTS ALL WITH DIFFERNT MUSIC POLICYS ETC.

MY QUESTION IS WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT FROM A SET? DO YOU WANT OBSCURITY AFTER OBSCURITY DONT THINK SO,A GOOD MIX DOES IT FOR ME AS A SOUL FAN ALOT OF THE RARER RECORDS LIKE SANDIE GOLDEN ETC JUST DO IT FOR ME MAINLY BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO SO MUCH OVER THE YEARS AND I LIKE TO THINK MY TASTES HAVE EVOLVED WITH THAT!!

TAKE ANDY DYSONS LAST SET AT THE LAST WILTON I LOVED IT VERY FRESH HE THROWS IN SOLID SOLUTION AND THE DANCE FLOOR CLEARS WELL F--K ME ITS JUST CLEARED TO ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS OF THE NIGHT ,TO ME THIS SAYS MORE ABOUT THE WILTON THAN THE ACTUAL CHOICE OF THIS DICS WITH THE UPTEMPO SIXTIES FLAVOUR BEEN THE PARTICULAR CART BLANCH THAT NIGHT IMHO.

THE THING I HAVE FOUND DIFFICULT WITH BUTCH"S SETS IS THAT THERE IS AN ALMOST INVINSIBLE PERSONA AROUND SOME OF HIS CHOICES!

HE PLAYS LEE FIELDS AND WOOSH £700 QUID !! AGAIN THAT SAYS MORE ABOUT THE SCENE THAN THE CHOICE OF RECORD WHICH INCIDENTLY IS A GOOD RECORD BUT NOT A GREAT RECORD.I HAVE NOTHING BUT ADMIRATION AND RESPECT FOR BUTCH,HES OUT THERE NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AND BOY YOU MAKE MISTAKES ON THE RARE SOUL SCENE AND YOUR SHOT WITH HOT BALLS OF SHIT.

IT IS THE INCESSANT CONTINUAL PURSUIT OF RARE AS OPPOSED TO QUALITY WHICH IS HURTING THIS SCENE IMHO FOR TOO LONG THE CHEQUE BOOK HAS RULED THE ROOST AND THE SETS WITH THE BIG TUNES ARE JUST THAT SETS WITH BIG TUNES, WHICH SOME WHERE ALONG THE LINE THOSE FORTUNATE TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED LONG ENOUGH HAVE HEARD ANYWAY!!!

GET SOME FUNK,LATIN,CROSSOVER AND CHEAP SIXTIES THAT HAVE NOT HAD THEIR ARSES SPUN OUT OF THEM THEN FINISH YOUR SET WITH MARCELLE STRONG AD THE TRIAD THERES MY PERFECT SET [THINK THATS WHY I DONT GET OUT MUCH ANYMORE]LOL.

BAZ A. :wicked:

Social source share

IT IS THE INCESSANT CONTINUAL PURSUIT OF RARE AS OPPOSED TO QUALITY WHICH IS HURTING THIS SCENE IMHO FOR TOO LONG THE CHEQUE BOOK HAS RULED THE ROOST AND THE SETS WITH THE BIG TUNES ARE JUST THAT SETS WITH BIG TUNES, WHICH SOME WHERE ALONG THE LINE THOSE FORTUNATE TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED LONG ENOUGH HAVE HEARD ANYWAY!!!

BAZ A. :shades:

And where were you when I was debating exactly the same point on the last few pages of the OVO thread, Baz?

Get yer arse over there when you get a mo, will ya mate!

I think you'll enjoy it.

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

yes, last couple of years there was the Parliaments of course, Gerri Taylor - It's Beautiful cover up (great it is too) and even more recently the Four Perfections cover up. He's a few other cover ups I struggle to remember the names as well :wicked:

Parliaments - AWESOME

Gerri Taylor - not my taste I'm afraid.

Johnny Howard - where's that 'cut your wrist' smiley when you need it. :D

What pisses me off is the fact that Butch could blow us all into the middle of next year if he wanted to - and yet he subjects us to Johnny fricking Howard. :shades:

Social source share

I think his U-turn was 1991 Chalky ( I would say it took a while for the bookings to come) . but Steve will confirm :wicked:

Seem to remember Sam playing a northern set at the one of the Chesterfield Winding wheel niters. that was late 80s / early nineties

Social source share

Actually Baz, I was pleasantly surprised to hear all the DJ's at the last Lifeline playing cheaper tunes in their sets along side the rare top money tunes.

Social source share

Seem to remember Sam playing a northern set at the one of the Chesterfield Winding wheel niters. that was late 80s / early nineties

1987 the Winding Wheel All-nighters. Was a long time ago but don't remember him DJing at all around that time mate and especially not at Winding Wheel. I'll dig the black echoes out if I can find 'em.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

it is refreshing when your out and you hear a cracking tune......and it's only a cheapy, great say l.Do get a little fed up on this thread of who played what when....does it matter, no!!!.There are some great tunes that back in the seventies you might not of cared to much for,but now,different time,different place they sound great.When your out it's about how sets are put together these days a good mix of rare and not so rare,so to my mind fellas with reasonable collections can do this,even mixing in the better known oldies not playing long sets of any era tunes.Went out last night and the sets played were nice records,but imo boringly put together Tezza

Social source share

1987 the Winding Wheel All-nighters. Was a long time ago but don't remember him DJing at all around that time mate and especially not at Winding Wheel. I'll dig the black echoes out if I can find 'em.

You know what, knowing the friggin state of my memory your probably right Chalks but be good if you could have look at Echoes mate, just seem to remember a buzz going around that Sam was to play his first Northern spot in years, I remember being there and it was a large hall event. That ginko bilibo just ain't working :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

it is refreshing when your out and you hear a cracking tune......and it's only a cheapy, great say l.Do get a little fed up on this thread of who played what when....does it matter, no!!!.There are some great tunes that back in the seventies you might not of cared to much for,but now,different time,different place they sound great.When your out it's about how sets are put together these days a good mix of rare and not so rare,so to my mind fellas with reasonable collections can do this,even mixing in the better known oldies not playing long sets of any era tunes.Went out last night and the sets played were nice records,but imo boringly put together Tezza

Must be somethin in the water round here today this is the second time on 2 seperate threads ive found myself agreeing entirley with whats been said,perfectly put mr darcy.

Social source share

yeah he was obviously too far ahead of the game for his own good :wicked: but at least his copy went to a good home eh :shades:

:D yeah he was Ian , he also told me that he would only deejay in Norfolk ..Huge mistake IMO :D

Ahh add that to being a Top Dj , mileage !

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

2 more Butch broke recently

Johnny Praye - too much love

Tommy Ds - Dont play the role

and who played margaret little and Contessa first, mind you ive never heard Contessa out ever.

Best Darren

darren i'd be most interested in hearing what these lads have to offer,irrespective of what any other folk think.by all means send me a message on here or off forum if they're as good as you say i'll stick em on at lifeline next year guarenteed.lemme know.

Social source share

Joe Jama My Life

Parliaments This Is My Rainy Day

Ellipsis People

Mellow Madness Save The Youth

Mixed Feelings Sha La La

...just to name five very recent ones without having to scratch my head at all :D

Hell Joan if you haven't clapped your ears round Martha Jean Love - Old Time Lover, then I'd book your ticket to London for the next 100 Club niter now!!! And the flip is just as essential listening.

The problem a lot of other DJ's find with Butch is that he has records no-one will ever be able to own. Unissued acetates that aren't just rare (obviously), but exude distinct quality too. Same with Ady C. It's an enviable position to be in, but one they've fought tooth and nail to attain.

A good DJ needn't have exquisite records (though indeed the best often have), rather good taste. And when one man's 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' is another man's 'Wrong Side Of Town' there's not one DJ that can please everyone in the room. Though I can list a few that can come close.....

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

How does one describe that a dj is better for when he does a set especially if new

also it's nice to know when some DJ's play the same night they all have many different records and one's request can be played if a dj does not have the next one on might.

Social source share

This competition idea is bananas it just ain't remotely possible.like has been said before too many styles and genres.. for arguments sake oldies dj'ing lets be honest it's a piece of piss basically anyone can do it providing they have a decent box of tunes,surely this has gotta be the first step on the ladder for anyone wanting to start dj'ing ? would have thought most of big current players have taken this route.

the most difficult arena to perform has gotta be the cutting edge one ( well what's left of it) some good names been put forward to enter the arena'S but let's target the cutting edge one.all candidates need to sit down and think how many records have i discovered ? how many of them have i broke , how many of them stand the test of time ? these are just a few of the criterea that have to be met to get respect and sets.the likes of sam and butch are there cos they've earned it through hard graft and motivation year after year.there has gotta be room for up and coming lads it just ain't over night.having said that this yearning to be a dj by so many is one of the major factors of the negativity the scene is harnesing at the moment - wanna dj - set me own doo up ! ......

Social source share

This competition idea is bananas it just ain't remotely possible.like has been said before too many styles and genres.. for arguments sake oldies dj'ing lets be honest it's a piece of piss basically anyone can do it providing they have a decent box of tunes,surely this has gotta be the first step on the ladder for anyone wanting to start dj'ing ? would have thought most of big current players have taken this route.

the most difficult arena to perform has gotta be the cutting edge one ( well what's left of it) some good names been put forward to enter the arena'S but let's target the cutting edge one.all candidates need to sit down and think how many records have i discovered ? how many of them have i broke , how many of them stand the test of time ? these are just a few of the criterea that have to be met to get respect and sets.the likes of sam and butch are there cos they've earned it through hard graft and motivation year after year.there has gotta be room for up and coming lads it just ain't over night.having said that this yearning to be a dj by so many is one of the major factors of the negativity the scene is harnesing at the moment - wanna dj - set me own doo up ! ......

yer know.. I'm fed up of hearing Butch this and Butch that.... if you like the guy so much get a bloody room together and get it out of your system... Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against him but too many people seem to idol worship him... he's just a guy who may have a passion for music and may be a really good dj but there's many more like that out there and don't get the same 'breaks' as he does. Maybe my idea of this topic wasn't a good idea after all but I think you're missing the point. I just wanted to say that it could be possible to help all the other up and coming 'Butchs' out there and put some of the 'prima-donnas' in their place. Ok some "big djs" have all the "big" tunes but that does not make them Gods.... many other djs work just as hard if not infinate more because they have to in order to get bookings and to try and search through the left overs that the 'priviledged' Gods leave behind in order to put a good selection together... It's like saying Bill Gates is a fantastic bloke coz he has so much money..... bollocks... Oh here's another example.. just becasue a record is uber rare it must be the best track that would ever whisper it's golden melody down the lugholes of man... bollocks.. it' depends on the quaity of the music.. lyrics etc.. get it? I just want to see hard working djs and djs who should get some of the breaks given a hand and some recognition for putting their heart and soul into what we pay them for whilst so called Gods who think they own the scene and the scene would crumble without them shaken back to reality.... As for some person oppening their own "doo", isn't that their choice? If it didn't work and their "doo" flops should we say at least they tried instead of sitting on their arses and bleeting like sheep because they are not one of the 'chosen' few who should be allowed to open their own "doos"..... No one owns our scene that's why it's OUR SCENE... everyone should be able to contribute in what-ever way they choose. It was just an idea to also lighten the mood and bring some of the human element back to the scene and glamour.. humour... ENTERTAINMENT if a national dj competition could be feasable... Think outside the 'box'... the interest, advertising, the partissipation, the passion........ Jeeze, Im gonna have to lie down after this..... The idea is not to insult anyone but to help those who could do with a hand and to add some thing to the thing we are supposed to love THE SOUL SCENE................................ Mam fetch me hotwater bottle and an asprin... I think I've got one of me 'heads' coming on.... nite nite.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Plain and simple if a dj is good then he'll get recognition.....why should anyone HELP him.The first thing is NOT to try and be a dj,you know, going all over the place asking everyone and their mum for a spot,buying records just to dj with,only buying records that you see others dance to not records you like and the list goes on.There are plenty of fellas playing great records around the manchester area,doubt they needed any help,did by their own effort.One thing is for sure whilst there are some great dj's.......there's some shite ones too

Social source share

How many D.J.'s or "budding" D.J.'s even on the "cutting edge" are attempting to break any new tunes. The only "fix" I get, for listening to something fresh and exciting, is listening to the likes of Butch, Andy Dyson, or very rarely, digging through boxes of odd 45's in the U.S. I'm sure that in a set of 25 records there is room for 1 tune that is GENUINELY different!!

Des Parker

Social source share

yer know.. I'm fed up of hearing Butch this and Butch that.... if you like the guy so much get a bloody room together and get it out of your system... Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against him but too many people seem to idol worship him... he's just a guy who may have a passion for music and may be a really good dj but there's many more like that out there and don't get the same 'breaks' as he does. Maybe my idea of this topic wasn't a good idea after all but I think you're missing the point. I just wanted to say that it could be possible to help all the other up and coming 'Butchs' out there and put some of the 'prima-donnas' in their place. Ok some "big djs" have all the "big" tunes but that does not make them Gods.... many other djs work just as hard if not infinate more because they have to in order to get bookings and to try and search through the left overs that the 'priviledged' Gods leave behind in order to put a good selection together... It's like saying Bill Gates is a fantastic bloke coz he has so much money..... bollocks... Oh here's another example.. just becasue a record is uber rare it must be the best track that would ever whisper it's golden melody down the lugholes of man... bollocks.. it' depends on the quaity of the music.. lyrics etc.. get it? I just want to see hard working djs and djs who should get some of the breaks given a hand and some recognition for putting their heart and soul into what we pay them for whilst so called Gods who think they own the scene and the scene would crumble without them shaken back to reality.... As for some person oppening their own "doo", isn't that their choice? If it didn't work and their "doo" flops should we say at least they tried instead of sitting on their arses and bleeting like sheep because they are not one of the 'chosen' few who should be allowed to open their own "doos"..... No one owns our scene that's why it's OUR SCENE... everyone should be able to contribute in what-ever way they choose. It was just an idea to also lighten the mood and bring some of the human element back to the scene and glamour.. humour... ENTERTAINMENT if a national dj competition could be feasable... Think outside the 'box'... the interest, advertising, the partissipation, the passion........ Jeeze, Im gonna have to lie down after this..... The idea is not to insult anyone but to help those who could do with a hand and to add some thing to the thing we are supposed to love THE SOUL SCENE................................ Mam fetch me hotwater bottle and an asprin... I think I've got one of me 'heads' coming on.... nite nite.... frusty2.gif

Jesus christ you open a thread titled top dj or flop dj , you then gotta expect top names to be mentioned in the equation,see i don't hero worship or use the words prima -donna's or priveliged, before i wrote the reply i tried to think of other names to use as examples of top dj's -well whadya know i couldn't think of any who really match the criterea.you mention about having the big records -anyone worth there salt makes records big not buys big records,on a tangeant when i first played robert tanner 1 person danced ' arthur fenn' cos he'd heard it before,it took nearly 5 years to break that record,even the bolita woods c/up took a fair old time with a few of us playing it.

there's nothing priveliged about ownership of certain playbox's that's a insult to any dj and as for saying leftovers ..everyone has arms ,legs and eyes to go and look for records don't they ?

of course no one owns our scene agreed,you mention chosen few ,well aren't they chosen by the promoters to give the paying customer value for money instead of being short changed by sub standard dj's who can't dj ? all this said i do know where you are coming from in a way with your original idea and agree..

so instead of faffing about let's see what most people are wanting to see - who's the prima-donnas and god's - name em and who you gonna replace em with -name em and why.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!