Lester Tipton

Harry Crosby

almost anyone I've ever talked to that has been contacted by someone from the UK has always been told "my record is number one in England!" What kind of a stupid hustle is that? I guess it gets people excited at least. A funny one was James Dockery, first he was contacted about the Rokk 45, then later about one of his solo 45s. He was like first the Rokk record was #1 in England, then my other record went #1.

afetr making contact with somebody who may ahve access to a record that is very rare or oin-demand on northern scene....

excuse me your record is doing very well in England. Do you have any more copies ?

the old school UK dealers must have got away with that for years.

Social source share

• Replies 174
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

afetr making contact with somebody who may ahve access to a record that is very rare or oin-demand on northern scene....

excuse me your record is doing very well in England. Do you have any more copies ?

the old school UK dealers must have got away with that for years.

You guys got it. Lou Pride was told the same thing, as was Emmanuel Laskey etc etc. A lot of people are labouring under the mis apprehension that they had No 1 hits in England.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose it makes people think it must be selling millions so what's the point in keeping 1 silly old single.

Diabolical.

Hello everyone, i'm Lester's Tipton's niece and i'm sorry I haven't been in the forum in a while but my hard drive went out and I just got it fixed.

My aunt brought me so many old records and wants me to go thru them and try to find my uncle's records. She said he did several records that she can remember and I found one record today but it's not "This Won't Change" record, the record I did find by him is called "Paradise" and it has Lester Tipton on one side and The Masqueraders on the other side.

There are so many old records it's going to take me all night to go thru them all, there are a lot of people I never heard of before and I know some of these records must be worth something. These records belonged to my uncle because he loved music and my aunt said he had a lot of these records since he was a teenager. The only thing is all the records are just 45's but they are in great condition.

I going to go thru some more and see if I can find another record by my uncle.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

almost anyone I've ever talked to that has been contacted by someone from the UK has always been told "my record is number one in England!" What kind of a stupid hustle is that? I guess it gets people excited at least. A funny one was James Dockery, first he was contacted about the Rokk 45, then later about one of his solo 45s. He was like first the Rokk record was #1 in England, then my other record went #1.

I didnt' realise James Dockery was involved in Rokk? :ohmy: Was he the singer?

Social source share

Hi again Tantip did you find any photos you wouldn't mind posting up of Lester.

I you have any questions regarding records try this site https://www.popsike.com/ and if they are not here https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/ this site is a good reference.

The Lester and The Masqueraders is that a white label with hand writing on or printed paper label?

Social source share

Hello everyone, i'm Lester's Tipton's niece and i'm sorry I haven't been in the forum in a while but my hard drive went out and I just got it fixed.

My aunt brought me so many old records and wants me to go thru them and try to find my uncle's records. She said he did several records that she can remember and I found one record today but it's not "This Won't Change" record, the record I did find by him is called "Paradise" and it has Lester Tipton on one side and The Masqueraders on the other side.

There are so many old records it's going to take me all night to go thru them all, there are a lot of people I never heard of before and I know some of these records must be worth something. These records belonged to my uncle because he loved music and my aunt said he had a lot of these records since he was a teenager. The only thing is all the records are just 45's but they are in great condition.

I going to go thru some more and see if I can find another record by my uncle.

It's so nice to hear from someone like you!

I don't have any advice to do with the recordings but I'm sure there is people on here that know what to do.

Social source share

I was going thru my Aunts records last night and found the song by my uncle Lester "This Won't Change" and it's in perfect condition, it looks like it has never been played. On the other side of the record is a song named "How" by the Masqueraders.

My aunt didn't even know she had this song and she said she doesn't remember my uncle even making this song. She decided to take it to a record collector in Detroit who seemed like he wanted the record very bad.

She gave me some pictures of my Uncle and as soon as I get my Scanner hooked up I will put his pictures on here.

This has been very exciting for me and listening to my uncle's song on the net just brought back so many memories of my uncle, I am remembering things about him that I just had forgot about and if he knew his record was going for so much money he would have been floored.

Social source share

Hi again Tantip did you find any photos you wouldn't mind posting up of Lester.

I you have any questions regarding records try this site https://www.popsike.com/ and if they are not here https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/ this site is a good reference.

The Lester and The Masqueraders is that a white label with hand writing on or printed paper label?

The lable is Yellow and it appears to be a printed lable.

Social source share

The lable is Yellow and it appears to be a printed lable.

My aunt took the record to the collector and he said the record she had was the England version and the original record has a purple lable so she is bringing over more records for me to go thru because she says she remembers my uncle did a record with a purple lable.

Social source share

I was searching the net on my uncle's record and all I found was it was a Grapevine record. The record we found has "This Won't Change" by Lester tipton on one side and the song "How" by the Masqueraders on the other side. It does not say it's a revised copy. It has Grapevine records on the record and LA Beat records on the record so how does one know if this is a revised copy because we just can't tell.

Social source share

tantip

the original 45 of your uncles this wont change was issued in 1967 on the labeat label in detroit

as was the masqueraders how 45. they were seperate singles. in the late 70s they were discovered

here in the uk by underground soul music fans and thats when your uk grapevine 45 comes from.

it was issued in the uk in 1979 or 1980 for the uk soul fans but didnt sell too well hence the 50 pound

price tag. the two labeat 45s from the 1960s are worth considerably more. the labeat copies are maroon

and the uk grapevine copy is yellow. hope this helps

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

blush.gif whoops! I forgot about that one, I had a copy of that sold it for £50 its still a rare record on that label as well. biggrin.gif wish I had kept it as well.

Do you sing.

It is rare, but 50 quid for a Grapevine single, the trouble is, when you want them you can never get them...when you don't, they are everywhere

Social source share

tantip

the original 45 of your uncles this wont change was issued in 1967 on the labeat label in detroit

as was the masqueraders how 45. they were seperate singles. in the late 70s they were discovered

here in the uk by underground soul music fans and thats when your uk grapevine 45 comes from.

it was issued in the uk in 1979 or 1980 for the uk soul fans but didnt sell too well hence the 50 pound

price tag. the two labeat 45s from the 1960s are worth considerably more. the labeat copies are maroon

and the uk grapevine copy is yellow. hope this helps

Thanks for the info, could you tell me how much the yellow record is worth in American dollars?

dave

Social source share

The one with a Big A is a demo and the one without is a normal issue.

Hi Tantip what was Lester's work or did the dancing keep him busy.

My uncle tried his hand at modeling, clothes designing and he worked on a lot of tv shows doing stand in work and he was also a beautician and he was very good because till this day no one has ever hooked up my hair like he did, lol.

Social source share

Oh dear :rolleyes: there's me thinking he could have worked in the car factory I got it so wrong.

He sounds like a great uncle to have known Tantip. :thumbup:

I hear a few stories of singers working in places like that before or after they have tried for a musical career. :ohmy: so I just made a bad guess.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert