Lester Tipton

Harry Crosby

He's not telling

always thought there is "honest" and its opposite, "dishonest". so you saying he was not totally honest says in book he was dishonest. you contradict yourself IMO...

He hasn't been upfront about everything has he, that's the difference. He's been economical with the facts/figures whatever you want to say, not dishonest.He's not the first and won't be the last, and yes I'd probably be the same except I'd wait a bit longer than couple of weeks to list again.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 174
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If the Lester Tipton was as common as "A Family" by The Masqueraders on the same label it would never get played. There is no law that says you have to worship This Won't Change. "How" and "I Am Nothing" walk all over it.

There is no law that says you have to worship This Won't Change

No there isn't yet but I will be seeing Gordon B later on today see if we can amend that with a little white paper.

IMO its a great record common or not but I do like the earthie raw sound to it and I think that adds to the appeal of the track.

But what did you think of the B-side no comparisons thou as it stands on its own.

Actually Pete there is something about the start that reminds me of Someday were Gonna Love Again.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

As far as I'm concerned, it would still be the same fantastic record it always has been no matter how many copies there are.

would have to agree, i lost my copy in the 90's when it was traded in by my mate for whizz !

I bought it from Bob foster collection in the 70.s and it was rare as hen's teeth then.

so good !! if more have turned up. At least it may get played out a bit more!

what a tune..

Pete m

Social source share

You've got this 100% correct. Brad was put out of business for a year by the fire, and he lost a lot of money during the process. The Johnny on the Spot, Ravins, etc.... records he's been putting up the past month came from his own DJ box in an effort to get enough money to get business up and running again. He finally got enough, got the shop on Woodward opened up, and then immediately the 2 Lester Tipton's and 1 Al Williams came in the door like some sort of perfect record karma waiting to greet him at the new store. Dude deserved it given the trials he's been through.

What makes Brad special is that he is probably the most kind-hearted record dealer I've come across ever. The amount of money he paid the lady who brought the La Beat records in is beyond what any of our greed would allow. It's funny to see people questioning his character and suspicious of his words, but, seriously, Brad isn't capable of lying about something. If he says it's the last copy, which it is, then everyone can have high confidence that it's the last copy. If you ever meet him in Detroit, you'll understand immediately.

Not a bad DJ either had a great night at his Thursday Club at Slow's Bar on Michigan Ave in Detroit. Spent a few weeks studying at Wayne State on a project and Brad's was across the road before it burnt down. Lot of good local modern Detroit too in collectors boxes above counter. The Tipton is are utterly kosher.

Social source share

I mentioned the Lester Tipton and Al Williams to brad a couple a of wks ago and these were found in the loft of a old ladies house in Detroit, she had absolutly no idea what she had and was amazed at the value of them.

I would trust this guy 100% always been a pleasure when ive done business with him, as for them turning up in quantity dream on I cant see it myself.

Maybe other parts of the states might have stuff in quantity hidden away somewhere, but Detriot this place has been turned upside down by every man and his dog on the hunt for that one big pay day.

I might be wrong but I doudt it.

Darren

So who was this old lady and how did they get deposited in her attic then ?

Was it Lou Beatty's grandma or what ?

Lester Tipton's just don't turn up like this like, sorry !

Kev J

Social source share

Let me explain this really really slowly. NO ONE is doubting "good words" (whatever that means), BUT... how can anyones "Good Words' mean anything, if they are hearsay. Only Brad and he alone can tell the real story behind the Lester Tiptons. If someone brought them into his shop, how does he know for sure, the origin and nature of the source. The "Little old lady's loft" story has been used so many times before, in fact it was the exact same story used on the Clara Hardys (Check out past threads).

Four weeks ago, a UK collector was offered a mint copy of both Lester Tipton ($5000) and Al Williams ($3000). Luckily, he had just forked out on a couple of other pieces earlier in the week. DOES IT ALL MAKE SENSE NOW??

Bottom line is rare records turn up in small or large quantity all the time, they always have. This forum is about raising debate and awareness of things like this. So what if there is a quantity, does it stop being a great record?..... of course not. If it only sells for $500 would that stop people collecting it?.... of course not.

So from your hear say did he buy the records? are they the same records offered on Brads auction? is this a scam or has quantity turning up.

Social source share

Big statement. Now back it up and give everyone on here some reassurance regarding your certainty. :rolleyes: Its called 'less of the Rhetoric and more of the facts'. If you're so sure then put it to bed now and explain, we're all ears.

I help Brad out at his store every week. I DJ with Brad every month.

He had hoped to keep the second copy for his own DJ box, at least for a couple spins out at our soul night, but the high price of the first copy and the fact that he's still working to get himself out of a financial hole brought on by the loss of his first store and the building up of his second precipitated the relatively quick listing of the second copy.

Now, with respect to how he got the two mint copies in the first place, I honestly don't know, nor have I asked. It's his business - literally.

Social source share

Let me explain this really really slowly. NO ONE is doubting "good words" (whatever that means), BUT... how can anyones "Good Words' mean anything, if they are hearsay. Only Brad and he alone can tell the real story behind the Lester Tiptons. If someone brought them into his shop, how does he know for sure, the origin and nature of the source. The "Little old lady's loft" story has been used so many times before, in fact it was the exact same story used on the Clara Hardys (Check out past threads).

Four weeks ago, a UK collector was offered a mint copy of both Lester Tipton ($5000) and Al Williams ($3000). Luckily, he had just forked out on a couple of other pieces earlier in the week. DOES IT ALL MAKE SENSE NOW??

Bottom line is rare records turn up in small or large quantity all the time, they always have. This forum is about raising debate and awareness of things like this. So what if there is a quantity, does it stop being a great record?..... of course not. If it only sells for $500 would that stop people collecting it?.... of course not.

No it doesn't make any more sense.

This is a very, very rare Detroit record and I just don't believe the story.

500 bucks ,come on man !

Social source share

I help Brad out at his store every week. I DJ with Brad every month.

He had hoped to keep the second copy for his own DJ box, at least for a couple spins out at our soul night, but the high price of the first copy and the fact that he's still working to get himself out of a financial hole brought on by the loss of his first store and the building up of his second precipitated the relatively quick listing of the second copy.

Now, with respect to how he got the two mint copies in the first place, I honestly don't know, nor have I asked. It's his business - literally.

WELL SAID.......... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Probably over two years ago marilyn bond was in contact with lou beatty jr. she asked me about some of the la beat records. i indicated a few that were quite valuable and of course i mentioned the lester tipton. she claimed to be working on a project with lou jr. lou senior had passed away a couple years earlier. regarding the lester tipton she told me that lou jr said they didn't like the record so they threw them out thinking no one would ever want them. i recall she had a copy of the al williams and a few other pieces she was selling for lou jr and was looking for an offer. i made an offer but was never called about it. apparently she was made a much higher offer. anyway i personally love the record but my wife thought it was awful. some records are an acquired taste. maybe it's his voice or maybe the crude sound? just a feeling i don't think this one's going to turn up much in the future. my guess was maybe 300 copies or less were let out and at least most of the rest were thrown out.

re: brad, i've written him several times and consider him reputable person and a friend. i've also e-mailed him and not gotten a response on at least one occasion. i myself ocassionally delete e-mails accidently or my server never sends them. sometimes it's the senders server that is not working...ie ebay, paypal etc. just some thoughts.

also i hate quantity on records i think i've lost numerous customers because some have overpaid or the value has dropped. i'm not sure what the answer is. i don't know any dealer who reveals what quantity he has unless he's asked. my ad's never stated i only have one copy and as far as i know it's not implied. i've bought many records for myself over the years only to find out later there was a quantity on it. i really try to avoid qty if i can.

Social source share

Probably over two years ago marilyn bond was in contact with lou beatty jr. she asked me about some of the la beat records. i indicated a few that were quite valuable and of course i mentioned the lester tipton. she claimed to be working on a project with lou jr. lou senior had passed away a couple years earlier. regarding the lester tipton she told me that lou jr said they didn't like the record so they threw them out thinking no one would ever want them.

It isn't by any stretch a great record although it is a rare won. Lester and Leslie Tipton were Detroit's best dancers and appeared on local TV on the Swingin Time Show. They reached their height mid-60s when they won two pontaics on a national TV dance contest and returned to Detorit as local celebs. I think La Beat recorded Lester Tipton almost as a novelty act. In my personal opinion, its a pretty messy record for the time, and for the city. It wouldn't be in my Top 100 Detroit. But hey its still a dobber. I am a trusting soul and believe Brad's 'reported versions'. I have bought several records of him, one that had come from a clear out of a 70s Detroit singer, and the other which was a 12" from Stanley Mitchell, which is a good modern sound but I bought for a mxture of nostalgia and curioisity. My only regret before his shop was burnt is that I couldn't spend three days just searching through old Motown.

Social source share

No he didn't buy them. The dealer wasn't Brad. Don't know if they are the same records or from the same source..

andy sounds like you are also being econical with what you say as well ? somebody was offered 2 records.. etc etc.

you are expecing somebody else to tell a 100% warts and all account of how they got hold of some records.

if you found a quantity of a very rare record would you go telling everybody where they came from and give the full stroy without holding back on any facts? would you dranitically lower the price of record x immediately or sell then at a declining price for as long as you could ?

Social source share

andy sounds like you are also being econical with what you say as well ? somebody was offered 2 records.. etc etc.

you are expecing somebody else to tell a 100% warts and all account of how they got hold of some records.

if you found a quantity of a very rare record would you go telling everybody where they came from and give the full stroy without holding back on any facts? would you dranitically lower the price of record x immediately or sell then at a declining price for as long as you could ?

Update on the bidding for the Lester Tipton 45 , as of 17.35 PM ......

2 Days , 5 hours , 37 minutes to go , and now weighing in at $3300.00 .........

It will be interesting to see if the winner comes forward , and identifies themselves .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hey Dylan, I'm not passing any judgement on what's right or wrong, just balancing the debate. My point is, that only Brad knows where he got them from and that he may well only have had 2 copies. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with the Clara Hardy 45s. I obtained 2 copies from detroit. Listed them in UK, only for them to flood out weeks later, Mark Speakman and Arthur Fenn both contacted me to buy, and I had to decline, despite the dealer offering me more. Could have made a quick buck, but didn't.

If it is a couple of copy find then nothing will matter, BUT if more surface suddenly, then I suspect there may be one or two upset people.

its always good to try and get both sides of any story and balance the debate I totally agree on that.

then the final decision is down to a judgement based on the information you have. Which may or may not be all the facts.

you have to ask yourself....

should I be buying this record or not ?

there is always going to be an element of risk with big $$ top end rarities / unknowns.

if you are in the very lucky position where you can afford to buy a lot of them then the good buys will cancel out the onees that turn out to be not so good.

Social source share

If I had the money I'd bid on it. The seller has 100% feedback on 4712 transactions, not as though he's based in Belguim is it (apologies to genuine sellers in Belguim wink.gif )?

If people are worried that their £1000+ records won't be worth as much if loads have been found, why did they buy the record in the first place? If they thought it was worth spending shedloads on it then, what's changed now? Funny how people like to talk about when they get stuff cheap, but don't like to thing they've paid more than was necessary. It's almost as if they expect some sort of refund.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Seems like the Americans have got the upper hand on this one. Heard that the first Lester on offer was boot! Also, isn't the Al williams on La-Beat the second La-Beat label, anyway, it's rarer on Palmer.

Say Cheese. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hindsight is a wonderful thing in collecting - I remember reading reviews from Mark Bicknell about Clara Hardy and how he wouldn't let it go for less than a grand... but he enthused so much about the disc and how much he loved it THAT was the reason why he wouldn't want to let it go at that time Personally - And I hope I'm right - I dont think there's a stack of Lester Tiptons' sat at said dealers house. Those sort of finds are becoming less and less in this multi digital/worldwide market and ebay has more or less been the start point. Thats not to say - and dont forget this - that main / big dealers themselves are/maybe sitting on a good few copies of in-demanders / rarities yet they get no stick whatsoever. It's in their business interests to let one or two go at times.

On the flipside - how many records (over the years) have been looked at as common/cheap yet here we are in 2008 craving and looking for supposed 'old time cheapies/mid price' 45s? I recall buying Delegates Of Soul twice for £40 (albeit a lot of money at the time circa 90/91) but it was nowhere near the rarity of a Lester Tipton. Yet what is the price now? Copies always sell whatever the price - We moan and grumble about the price but they always sell! As they will on the Lester 45s.

Lastly re. La Beat 45s - It's oft been said that most of the stock was water damaged / chucked away. For a non-selling non hit 45 it may be worth remembering ( I hope :thumbsup: )

Rich

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Hindsight is a wonderful thing in collecting - I remember reading reviews from Mark Bicknell about Clara Hardy and how he wouldn't let it go for less than a grand... but he enthused so much about the disc and how much he loved it THAT was the reason why he wouldn't want to let it go at that time Personally - And I hope I'm right - I dont think there's a stack of Lester Tiptons' sat at said dealers house. Those sort of finds are becoming less and less in this multi digital/worldwide market and ebay has more or less been the start point. Thats not to say - and dont forget this - that main / big dealers themselves are/maybe sitting on a good few copies of in-demanders / rarities yet they get no stick whatsoever. It's in their business interests to let one or two go at times.

On the flipside - how many records (over the years) have been looked at as common/cheap yet here we are in 2008 craving and looking for supposed 'old time cheapies/mid price' 45s? I recall buying Delegates Of Soul twice for £40 (albeit a lot of money at the time circa 90/91) but it was nowhere near the rarity of a Lester Tipton. Yet what is the price now? Copies always sell whatever the price - We moan and grumble about the price but they always sell! As they will on the Lester 45s.

Lastly re. La Beat 45s - It's oft been said that most of the stock was water damaged / chucked away. For a non-selling non hit 45 it may be worth remembering ( I hope :thumbsup: )

Rich

Eee, they will tell you owt these days. Got to say was intrigued myself...just a thought though...would you spend a little extra on having a moulded label and having a metal stamp made with Nashville on it, or whatever, how easy could it be to perfect an axact replica of the orig? a couple of hundered dollers perhaps...look at the mark up it would make you!

Dont care who it offends...if it's the real deal your alright.

Cptn. Bombhead :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I'm almost convinced it's going to be another Clara Hardy (only paid £80 for mine) think of the poor bas*art that paid over £5000 for Al & Lester. Do they think young people are loaded?? hate all this i'm older so therefore i have the right to Northern Soul sayso's. remember Mr. Trouble and the rip off with Willie Kendrix, who's gonna pay in the end.

Daddy feelgood cool.gif

Social source share

Hey Soulmag..

I'm not privy to information that you obviously are (and I did say I hope I was right in assuming he didn't have a pile) And if YOUR right then hey I'm too trusting. However I wouldn't spend (or couldn't) that amount of money on a 45 recorded within the curved walls of a tin bath! But there is always hearsay/conjecture whenever this type of 45 crops up and without solid evidence at the moment we're all right if you get what I mean. I know a pretty true fact/fictional story about one dealer sitting on a BIG pile of a certain 45 which regulary fetches between £250 - £400 and I see this 45 on sale on a regular basis - Now if I was to mention said 45 and dealer I would get slayed in public AND threatened by some form of legal action as has happened to someone I know before. Yet you (and I mean anyone or a lot of ppl on here) would back up and lick the a** of said person if he/she retaliated. Brad's not doing any sort of the thing here so in god (read: rare detroit 45s :thumbsup: ) i trust.

Rich

Social source share

Hey Soulmag..

I'm not privy to information that you obviously are (and I did say I hope I was right in assuming he didn't have a pile) And if YOUR right then hey I'm too trusting. However I wouldn't spend (or couldn't) that amount of money on a 45 recorded within the curved walls of a tin bath! But there is always hearsay/conjecture whenever this type of 45 crops up and without solid evidence at the moment we're all right if you get what I mean. I know a pretty true fact/fictional story about one dealer sitting on a BIG pile of a certain 45 which regulary fetches between £250 - £400 and I see this 45 on sale on a regular basis - Now if I was to mention said 45 and dealer I would get slayed in public AND threatened by some form of legal action as has happened to someone I know before. Yet you (and I mean anyone or a lot of ppl on here) would back up and lick the a** of said person if he/she retaliated. Brad's not doing any sort of the thing here so in god (read: rare detroit 45s :thumbsup: ) i trust.

Rich

wouldnt be a thing on SS7 would it?

Social source share

I'm almost convinced it's going to be another Clara Hardy (only paid £80 for mine) think of the poor bas*art that paid over £5000 for Al & Lester. Do they think young people are loaded?? hate all this i'm older so therefore i have the right to Northern Soul sayso's. remember Mr. Trouble and the rip off with Willie Kendrix, who's gonna pay in the end.

Daddy feelgood cool.gif

That is not the case here. As the seller clearly states, this is the second and final MINT copy of a true rarity. That's it. Stop trying to scare people off from bidding on it and stop being so suspicious about the business practices of a man you probably do not know. Thanks.

Social source share

That is not the case here. As the seller clearly states, this is the second and final MINT copy of a true rarity. That's it. Stop trying to scare people off from bidding on it and stop being so suspicious about the business practices of a man you probably do not know. Thanks.

In agreement with you ........

When a 45 with a rarity value such as the Lester Tipton comes up for auction / sale , it will certainly mean that someone will want the record , and they will bid - and eventually pay if successful - whatever it takes to get them that record ......

The person attempting to deter people from bidding , has obviosly not read the previous - and informative - posts , regarding the credentials and ethics of the seller of the LT : If they had , they may have thought twice about posting their opinionated reply ......

One thing come to mind in respect of their posting , is that there may be a possible underlying element of envy ; either they wish that they were the seller ( looks like it will reach $ 3400 ) , or that they had the money to buy the record .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

In agreement with you ........

When a 45 with a rarity value such as the Lester Tipton comes up for auction / sale , it will certainly mean that someone will want the record , and they will bid - and eventually pay if successful - whatever it takes to get them that record ......

The person attempting to deter people from bidding , has obviosly not read the previous - and informative - posts , regarding the credentials and ethics of the seller of the LT : If they had , they may have thought twice about posting their opinionated reply ......

One thing come to mind in respect of their posting , is that there may be a possible underlying element of envy ; either they wish that they were the seller ( looks like it will reach $ 3400 ) , or that they had the money to buy the record .........

Malc Burton

Your right on both counts Malc, but there has to be someone that knows for sure exactly how many LTs there are! also, why didn't anyone know how many Clara Hardy's there were too! I now feel that the £80 I paid for mine was £70 too much. Swings and roundabouts with record sales, that's why I love it.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

My wafflings will not deter anyone from the final purchase price, if they want it, they will pay anything for it. Just remembering a couple of years ago when John Manship put up for auction a Salvadors, but also stated he had found two that were minters, that to me is honesty.

On the down side, he also stated in his USA price guide 3rd edition that Clara Hardy was guided at £2000, so thats been set in print, therefore does not matter if a few thousand Clara's exist they will probably always fetch a high price.

Social source share

Your right on both counts Malc, but there has to be someone that knows for sure exactly how many LTs there are! also, why didn't anyone know how many Clara Hardy's there were too! I now feel that the £80 I paid for mine was £70 too much. Swings and roundabouts with record sales, that's why I love it.

Come on mate you really think Lester T will be a Clara H for phook sake their has been 1000's of Clara H if not 10,000's of Clara H and you think a Lester T has turned up in that quantity well you are either very nieave or living in La La land.

Social source share

My wafflings will not deter anyone from the final purchase price, if they want it, they will pay anything for it. Just remembering a couple of years ago when John Manship put up for auction a Salvadors, but also stated he had found two that were minters, that to me is honesty.

On the down side, he also stated in his USA price guide 3rd edition that Clara Hardy was guided at £2000, so thats been set in print, therefore does not matter if a few thousand Clara's exist they will probably always fetch a high price.

And if Johnny says put your hand in the fire or walk on water or fly you will Hhahahaha all the way to the bank.

Waffalings is the word I bet 5000 Clara H have turned up every man and his dog have had them for sale and 1 or 2 a week on ebay for the last 2 years, so you think you can sell one for 2K good on ya man. :rolleyes:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Just remembering a couple of years ago when John Manship put up for auction a Salvadors, but also stated he had found two that were minters, that to me is honesty.

How do you know that he was being honest? Are you sure that he only found two copies? Perhaps he found five? Or ten? Or even more. But is sitting on them, dripping one onto the market every 4/5 or so years to keep the price high. I don't want to imply that he did/does this or wasn't/isn't honest or anything like that, I'm just using it as an example that you can never be 100% sure about these things. But you seem to have chosen to believe Manship's word and not to believe Brad's (the guy who is selling the Lester Tipton).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

How do you know that he was being honest? Are you sure that he only found two copies? Perhaps he found five? Or ten? Or even more. But is sitting on them, dripping one onto the market every 4/5 or so years to keep the price high. I don't want to imply that he did/does this or wasn't/isn't honest or anything like that, I'm just using it as an example that you can never be 100% sure about these things. But you seem to have chosen to believe Manship's word and not to believe Brad's (the guy who is selling the Lester Tipton).

Maybe your right, just seems that the first LT should of easily gone for £6000+ and not the £4000+ it finnaly made. Why ebay it? why did Brad not sell privately for the amount it surely is really worth?

Social source share

Maybe your right, just seems that the first LT should of easily gone for £6000+ and not the £4000+ it finnaly made. Why ebay it? why did Brad not sell privately for the amount it surely is really worth?

With just over 5 hours to go as of 17. 35 PM , bidding on the LT now stands at $ 5049 ........

It will be interesting to see what the winning bid will be .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

This will never turn up like Clara Hardy.

The story i was told (at least 20 years ago) about the Lester Tipton record was that 1000 were pressed. Lou Beatty managed to move around 200 to 250 copies, the rest went in a dumpster. No point having any more pressed then. Bearing in mind the record wasn`t discovered till the late 70`s, there cant be many of that 200 - 250 left, (maybe 10 - 15%) in any decent condition anyway. Always gonna be rare. The story came from a reliable source who asked Lou Beatty about the label and artists when he had tracked him down in the early eighties, so i have no doubt the story is true. I have mentioned this story before on here somwhere.

If anyone knows any different ???????????

cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert