Lester Tipton

Harry Crosby

This will never turn up like Clara Hardy.

Bearing in mind the record wasn`t discovered till the late 70`s, there cant be many of that 200 - 250 left, (maybe 10 - 15%) in any decent condition anyway. Always gonna be rare.

cheers

Thats what they said about Danny Moore...Jackie Day naughty boy...Betty Lloyd...Jimmy Wallace

Social source share

• Replies 174
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I appreciate what you`re saying Pete, but if LT turns up in numbers then i would be very surprised.

There are only a few of the La Beat records that have turned up in any sort of numbers, and i have no doubt that the story i was told is true, or as close to the truth as possible.

If i had the money to spare to bid on this record i wouldn`t hesitate, but i dont , so it aint an issue for me, but i would love to own one of these as i truly believe that it will remain a very rare disc.

The only issue i could think of is that records were usually packed in boxes of 50, so if 4 records shops took 1 box each, (if peoples records were around then, they could have taken one) and the others were sold privately or given to dj`s, radio stations, then someone might find a full box of 50 somewhere, but i think after 30+ years of looking, that would be very unlikely. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

This could explain the others turning up in numbers as boxes turned up. Dont know, but many strange things happen.

Social source share

Lester Tipton will stay a rare record. It's just unlikely to turn up in any quantity now. Heard the same story as MarkP bout it being skipped

Dunno about skipped but told the story that Martin Koppell hit Lou Beatty's, the basement full of thousands of Labeat records and others, many submerged in water, many with labels missing completely.

Social source share

They turned up in the west coast find John Manship was involved with didn't they? Numbers in the tens not 100's.

Thanks chalky I did know about the copies in the manship find but I thought we were talking about much larger numbers here.

Rich

agree its a terrible record due to that innane vocal but the sax break is immense. Proper northern as they say.

Social source share

Thanks chalky I did know about the copies in the manship find but I thought we were talking about much larger numbers here.

Rich

agree its a terrible record due to that innane vocal but the sax break is immense. Proper northern as they say.

Well there's been about 10 so far I think.

Social source share

hey didn't he have two of these a year ago?

I litened to that last night and I like it both sides, is it a hard one.

I'd say it was as rare as Lester Tipton, just not as good. Same label as La Wanda Williams. Remember seeing the Melvin Davis many years ago at Victoria record fair, only copy I've ever seen. The one with the link to it looks in nice condition.

pottsy

Social source share

he's selling the ke ke and the givhan label records for the son of the original label owner. i believe the son is selling one of each every six months. i don't think he has huge quantities

So it's not beyond comprehension that a Lester Tipton could slip out every 6 to 12 months then...

Social source share

Thats what they said about Danny Moore...Jackie Day naughty boy...Betty Lloyd...Jimmy Wallace

================================================================

Unless you know something i dont Pete.. Jackie Day.. Jimmy Wallace have never turned up in any numbers

other than the few JD which turned up several years ago Stateside regarding Jimmy Wallace in my opinion

its always been pretty hard to locate even the songwriter a certain Mr Jerry Williams wants a copy

after selling his to a Andy Rix Character :g:

Social source share

So it's not beyond comprehension that a Lester Tipton could slip out every 6 to 12 months then...

======================================================================

The only person i know who had copies of Lester Tipton was Martin Koppell in the mid-70,s

if i remember correctly he had 25 i think he said......

Social source share

================================================================

Unless you know something i dont Pete.. Jackie Day.. Jimmy Wallace have never turned up in any numbers

other than the few JD which turned up several years ago Stateside regarding Jimmy Wallace in my opinion

its always been pretty hard to locate even the songwriter a certain Mr Jerry Williams wants a copy

after selling his to a Andy Rix Character :g:

Surprised to hear you say that Ian as there's someone in this forum who had more than a handful of Jimmy Wallace's a few years back. The Jackie Day's came out of the big find and there's been at least 10.

Social source share

Surprised to hear you say that Ian as there's someone in this forum who had more than a handful of Jimmy Wallace's a few years back. The Jackie Day's came out of the big find and there's been at least 10.

=====================================================================

Hi Pete a handful aint many considering how many rare soul collecters there are worldwide

Same with such a big oldie has JD 10 thats nowt maybe if there had been 1000 then ya

mind you JD still commanding big dosh going off what John Manship auction price from several months ago

nearly £2000 :g:

I,m still after PIC N BILL WHAT DOES IT TAKE Pete if u ever come across one mate..

Social source share

The only person i know who had copies of Lester Tipton was Martin Koppell in the mid-70,s

Twenty Five :shades: , you should have gone to speck savers :no: 25 copies of Lester Tipton (Grapevine) whistling.gif

25 Montclairs were found that brought the price down to £500 £700 from 2K.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

he's selling the ke ke and the givhan label records for the son of the original label owner. i believe the son is selling one of each every six months. i don't think he has huge quantities

Well there's another 2 Detroit records (Ke Ke's) that "were" super rare.

You can see the problem that Brad has, he's governed by what the person tells him that is releasing the records to him. He can only relay what he is told. I've talked to him many times, & like what has already been said on here, always found him to be a very honest & sincere chap.

With super rare records, it makes me sometimes wonder if all the 'stock' of what was pressed is sat on a shelf somewhere, minus the copies that went to the singer, group, mum, dad, aunty, local dj, etc.

But I must say, those stone cold Mint Lesters sure look pretty.

pottsy

Social source share

With super rare records, it makes me sometimes wonder if all the 'stock' of what was pressed is sat on a shelf somewhere, minus the copies that went to the singer, group, mum, dad, aunty, local dj, etc.

pottsy

Always the risk with rare vinyl isn't it. The passage of time is making that less likely I guess but it is still possible.

Social source share

there was probably more in the basement, lots more as there were stacks of records under of water so I was told. Apparently many had no label at all, dissolved in t'water

Social source share

there was probably more in the basement, lots more as there were stacks of records under of water so I was told. Apparently many had no label at all, dissolved in t'water

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Chalky heard that myself.. If anyone as any old lists of Martin Koppells from around 73/74

Lester Tipton is on one or two of them .I got my copy which i sold in 1980 off a guy from Merseyside

at the Mecca in 74 £8 did,nt like it much and the first time i heard it played was around 1979 at Wiggin Cas.. The guy i got my copy off told me he had got it from a N/West market would,nt surprise

me one bit if it was,nt off Russ Winstanleys stall in Wiggin another guy who had a great stall

on Wiggin/ Bolton and Leigh markets in 70,s was John Fisher from Wigan thats where the first copy of Don & Ron--so so sorry came from, Howard Burrows bought it 50pence it took me years to get it off him

Soul Sam got it off me several years later at the Barons Club in Burscough when i was DJ,in with Rob Marriott at one of is last ever dj spots great he was too !!!!

Social source share

Always the risk with rare vinyl isn't it.......

Sure is Steve. I remember the week I got the chance of buying the Royal Esquires, same day as I had the chance of a Johnny Rodgers. Could only afford one, so said to my self that the Royal Esquires would never ever turn up, not in a million years, so even though it was near on double the price of the J.Rodgers, I went for it :lol:

Same with Danny Moore, etc. etc. :lol: All part of the fun ! :lol:

Social source share

Sure is Steve. I remember the week I got the chance of buying the Royal Esquires, same day as I had the chance of a Johnny Rodgers. Could only afford one, so said to my self that the Royal Esquires would never ever turn up, not in a million years, so even though it was near on double the price of the J.Rodgers, I went for it :lol:

=======================================================================

:lol:biggrin.gif Was,nt a million years it was a few years :lol:

Never mind Ady think of all the brill bargains you,ve had :lol:

Social source share

Same with Danny Moore, etc. etc. :lol: All part of the fun ! :lol:

Ouch!!!

that reminds me when those Las vegas guys found all that Clem Martin stuff in the garage, they thought they had everything.

They didn't - turns out the widow had a few other bits in the loft including some unissued acetates - one of which is pretty good northern.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my family have several copies of Lester Tipton's record and we got them from Lester Tipton. Lester was my uncle and he would have been floored knowing that his record was going for so much money.

He got murdered in the 80's and that was such a bad time for me and my family because he was such a wonderful man and he brought so much joy to our lives and I still miss him to this day.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Me and my family have several copies of Lester Tipton's record and we got them from Lester Tipton.

I wonder how many pm's you will be receiving.... :lol:

Social source share

Me and my family have several copies of Lester Tipton's record and we got them from Lester Tipton. Lester was my uncle and he would have been floored knowing that his record was going for so much money.

He got murdered in the 80's and that was such a bad time for me and my family because he was such a wonderful man and he brought so much joy to our lives and I still miss him to this day.

=======

sad news ..i didnt know that......he certainly would be a proud man!

Social source share

Your Uncle has given us a lot of joy on the dance floor over the years - nice to hear from you (albeit with that sad news)

Paul

Social source share

Wow! that's fantastic Tantip is the story of him being a dancer true and do you have a photo you would scan for us to see of him, obviously its a personal thing unless its a promotional picture for his singing many thanks.

Social source share

Wow! that's fantastic Tantip is the story of him being a dancer true and do you have a photo you would scan for us to see of him, obviously its a personal thing unless its a promotional picture for his singing many thanks.

My uncle did dance on the dance show American Bandstand in the 60's with his sister Leslie and they won two cars and they danced on the Robin Seymour dance show swinging time. I do have a scanner but I got to get someone to hook it up for me because I don't have a clue how to do it.

Social source share

My uncle did dance on the dance show American Bandstand in the 60's with his sister Leslie and they won two cars and they danced on the Robin Seymour dance show swinging time. I do have a scanner but I got to get someone to hook it up for me because I don't have a clue how to do it.

good to see your input on here on behalf of your uncle, albeit sad circumstances. would be great to see some photos. do you have any other stories about Lester that would be of interest, little is really known about him other than this recording and his dancing.

Social source share

Lester and Leslie were twins. They were a dance couple that were professionals and ended up on the Robin Seymour Show. I think they ended up in LA in the 70s where Lester was murdered by a mugger about 80?. Didn't "BackBeat" do a bit on his story about 81/82? (Steve G?).

I'm pretty sure their story is on www.soulfuldetroit.com somewhere.

Social source share

I did a search for Lester Tipton and the song This Won't Change came up and I couldn't believe it because that was my uncle and I quickly called my aunt and I let her hear the song and she screamed, that's brother" that's what we called my uncle Lester.

After my uncle was killed a record producer came to our house and I forgot what record company he was from said my uncle's song went to #1 in England and he was trying to find my uncle so he could make more records but he was already gone but we were

wondering who was getting the money off of this because no one in our family did.

Now my aunt says she don't think she has the record This Won't Change but she has copies of the very first records my uncle made but at that time he didn't know how to get them out to people.

Social source share

I did a search for Lester Tipton and the song This Won't Change came up and I couldn't believe it because that was my uncle and I quickly called my aunt and I let her hear the song and she screamed, that's brother" that's what we called my uncle Lester.

After my uncle was killed a record producer came to our house and I forgot what record company he was from said my uncle's song went to #1 in England and he was trying to find my uncle so he could make more records but he was already gone but we were

wondering who was getting the money off of this because no one in our family did.

Now my aunt says she don't think she has the record This Won't Change but she has copies of the very first records my uncle made but at that time he didn't know how to get them out to people.

That would have been a chap called John Anderson. When he said it went to number 1 in England, he would have meant number 1 on the soul scene, not the pop charts, unfortunately. He did license Lesters record though and released it on the Grapevine label in 1980

Social source share

good to see your input on here on behalf of your uncle, albeit sad circumstances. would be great to see some photos. do you have any other stories about Lester that would be of interest, little is really known about him other than this recording and his dancing.

He had a twin Leslie but they were not idententical and 2 older brothers one of which is my father. They moved to LA where they worked on tv shows such as room 222, love boat and they worked on movies and did comercials. My uncle was also a designer and he made clothes for Diana Ross and others. He was a fun loving guy and he loved to party and just enjoy himself.

Social source share

That would have been a chap called John Anderson. When he said it went to number 1 in England, he would have meant number 1 on the soul scene, not the pop charts, unfortunately. He did license Lesters record though and released it on the Grapevine label in 1980

What does that mean he license Lesters record? I don't know much about these things.

Social source share

I remember one of the fanzines reporting this at the time - was early 80's - and I think they reprinted the Detroit news article. Lester was murdered by an intruder at his home if I remember correctly.

Blackbeat magazine. Ian Clark covered the story and got the info from Tom dePierro. There was also a reprint of the funeral service and I believe a picture of Lester in his mortar board hat presumably on college graduation or something.

Social source share

That would have been a chap called John Anderson.

I doubt that is correct as Lester died in the early 80s after the record had been released and Grapevine had finished. I have spoken to a number of former singers who have been told they have had No 1's in England, and also been approached by people in the music business wanting to record them. It could have been anyone.

I must admit I wasn't aware that Lester had made any other records apart from "This won't change"

Social source share

Thanks for coming on here Tantip, This Won't Change was one of the records that got me hooked on Soul music back in the late 70s.

I've seen a La beat promotional picture of Lester in a Safari suit holding a glass of Champagne, think it was in Pete Lawsons Mag or the Detroit Collectors Mag from the 80s (the name escapes me) from Derby? Anyone got a scan?

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

This is interesting, I have a sound clip of the record and its Lesters voice that is spellbinding, I wasn't shure if they had used a dodgy mic or a sound affect like they did on some Little Ann and Toby Lark recordings to create a little distortion.

I did see a Tipton on the credits of a US show like Dallas or Quincey ?? I will think about that.

By the way Tantip I have a Mac and when I scan in a Jpeg setting I have to put the scanned photo into I Photo before it is accepted by SoulSource uploading, not sure what you have to do with a PC.

But a sound clip of the other record wow! this could be worth money if its like his last song, never heard anything about him doing another record. :yes:

It could also be pants :no:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I doubt that is correct as Lester died in the early 80s after the record had been released and Grapevine had finished. I have spoken to a number of former singers who have been told they have had No 1's in England, and also been approached by people in the music business wanting to record them. It could have been anyone.

I must admit I wasn't aware that Lester had made any other records apart from "This won't change"

almost anyone I've ever talked to that has been contacted by someone from the UK has always been told "my record is number one in England!" What kind of a stupid hustle is that? I guess it gets people excited at least. A funny one was James Dockery, first he was contacted about the Rokk 45, then later about one of his solo 45s. He was like first the Rokk record was #1 in England, then my other record went #1.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert