Harry Crosby

• Replies 174
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

auction listing says this his is only other or last copy of lester tipton.

so I guess it will be and if it isn't he'll never be able to make a suggestion like that agin and be taken seriously.

seems like a good seller to me so i've got no reason to question what he's saying.

Social source share

so I guess it will be and if it isn't he'll never be able to make a suggestion like that agin and be taken seriously.

seems like a good seller to me so i've got no reason to question what he's saying.

Ive spent a few pennies with and he is reliable and straight.. Brad Hales, People records, Detroit... The block he worked from burnt down a while back a post was up on Soulsource..

Jon

Social source share

Ive spent a few pennies with and he is reliable and straight.. Brad Hales, People records, Detroit... The block he worked from burnt down a while back a post was up on Soulsource..

Jon

We know who it is and no one is suggesting he's isn't reliable and straight or a good seller. However if he was 100% honest he would have put on his first listing how many he had or that he had more than one. Suppose he's doing nothing no one else would do but a bit surprised it's up so soon after first one.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Jon

I , like you Jon , have dealt with the gentleman on many occasions in the past , and as you state , is 100% reliable .......

I can only think - referring back to Dave Thorley's original postin regarding the block burning down , is that Brad was not fully covered by / with insurance for what he lost , and that the prices that are finally reached will go to recouperating his losses : if they are , good luck to him .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

We know who it is and no one is suggesting he's isn't reliable and straight or a good seller. However if he was 100% honest he would have put on his first listing how many he had or that he had more than one. Suppose he's doing nothing no one else would do but a bit surprised it's up so soon after first one.

he is saying this time that its the last copy. Prehasp he could have said on first auction i've got 2 of these but that would have sounded more suspicious that way, well it would to me ? The gossip would have started.

if I had just sold something for $7k I wouldn't hang around to sell a 2nd one either. I'd be selling 2nd one straight away.

Social source share

Have you ever known anyone do that, ever?

I wouldn't. Not on ebay.

Though if I had say 30 copies of something I'd sell them cheaper than the going rate but not on ebay, on my list.

Social source share

he is saying this time that its the last copy. Prehasp he could have said on first auction i've got 2 of these but that would have sounded more suspicious that way, well it would to me ? The gossip would have started.

if I had just sold something for $7k I wouldn't hang around to sell a 2nd one either. I'd be selling 2nd one straight away.

Yes but I would be wary of bidding so much now, regardless of the "last one" comment. To list a second so soon after the first and in pretty much the same condition, well I find it hard to believe there was just the two.

Social source share

Have you ever known anyone do that, ever?

I wouldn't. Not on ebay.

Though if I had say 30 copies of something I'd sell them cheaper than the going rate but not on ebay, on my list.

No Pete I haven't that's why I said he's doing nothing no one else would do really. I would still be wary now of bidding top whack in case it does turn out to be another Clara Hardy, doubt it like but you never know.

Social source share

No Pete I haven't that's why I said he's doing nothing no one else would do really. I would still be wary now of bidding top whack in case it does turn out to be another Clara Hardy, doubt it like but you never know.

like you say, you never know, who would have thought danny moore & royal esquires plus the aforementioned clara hardy would turn up the way they did,

Social source share

I actually met Brad last November when we were in Seattle.

Ben Knight of the Bros of Soul had nothing but high praise for him saying that when anyone he knew fell on hard times they always took their records to Brad to sell, as he always gave them more than a fair price for them. Far more than anyone else.

He's such a genuinely nice guy. I don't think he could be underhand if he wanted to.

Social source share

He'd have done a lot better offering the 2nd copy to the 2nd highest bidder on the first auction, would have avoided a whole 2nd set of ebay fees for a start which is not to be sniffed at, plus usually the first time something super rare comes up in a while goes for more than a second one, ah well, long as Lester Tipton doesn't become the new Clara Hardy, ahem!

Social source share

He'd have done a lot better offering the 2nd copy to the 2nd highest bidder on the first auction, would have avoided a whole 2nd set of ebay fees for a start which is not to be sniffed at, plus usually the first time something super rare comes up in a while goes for more than a second one, ah well, long as Lester Tipton doesn't become the new Clara Hardy, ahem!

Would it really matter if it did? Apart from to those who paid a fortune for it that is?

As far as I'm concerned, it would still be the same fantastic record it always has been no matter how many copies there are.

Social source share

Would it really matter if it did? Apart from to those who paid a fortune for it that is?

As far as I'm concerned, it would still be the same fantastic record it always has been no matter how many copies there are.

unfortunatly joan there are not enough copies to go round, i personally think that if a 1000 copies of lester were found demand would by far exceed supply

Social source share

He'd have done a lot better offering the 2nd copy to the 2nd highest bidder on the first auction,

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK HE HASNT DONE THAT ALREADY..TO THE TOP 5 OR 10 HIGH BIDDERS

GASHER

PS ID LOVE ONE TOO

BUT LOOK AT THE GUY WITH THE 4 TRACKS ON MANDINGO...GREED GETS THE BETTER OF YOU

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

Yes but I would be wary of bidding so much now, regardless of the "last one" comment. To list a second so soon after the first and in pretty much the same condition, well I find it hard to believe there was just the two.

all i'm going to say is lester tipton is now one of my ebay searches and will be for a couple of months.

interesting comment above about 30 copies not effecting the value.

I was having that thought earlier just how many copies would start to effect the price ?

one thing for sure 2 copies in quick succession has got people talking about it on this internet forum.

Social source share

exactly Gash, there was 5 or 6 bids I think over $6k, thats a lot of money if you have the copies!

I know one of the high bidders (2nd or third if I remember correctly) and he hasn`t been offered a copy. If Brad says he only has had those two copies that is fair enough and "assurance" enough for me. He is reliable and most of all an experienced dealer...so he easily can detect what would do harm to his reputation and sure would avoid misleading descriptions for that matter.

On the other hand if I look at Jackie Day/Phelelectron, Troy Dodds/El Camino and Cautions/Shrine to name just and only three I don`t think a quantity of under 100 would affect the price in any way in the long run. In the end its all down to the fact and way these would get sold over the time. The way the Four Tracks and Clara Hardy´s have been and still continue to get sold sure is the wrong way if you want tokeep demand steady and the price constant. Brad is the first to know that. So if he offers the next copy now so quick he sure hasn`t got another pile waiting under his bed...

Marc

Social source share

I , like you Jon , have dealt with the gentleman on many occasions in the past , and as you state , is 100% reliable .......

I can only think - referring back to Dave Thorley's original postin regarding the block burning down , is that Brad was not fully covered by / with insurance for what he lost , and that the prices that are finally reached will go to recouperating his losses : if they are , good luck to him .......

Malc Burton

You've got this 100% correct. Brad was put out of business for a year by the fire, and he lost a lot of money during the process. The Johnny on the Spot, Ravins, etc.... records he's been putting up the past month came from his own DJ box in an effort to get enough money to get business up and running again. He finally got enough, got the shop on Woodward opened up, and then immediately the 2 Lester Tipton's and 1 Al Williams came in the door like some sort of perfect record karma waiting to greet him at the new store. Dude deserved it given the trials he's been through.

What makes Brad special is that he is probably the most kind-hearted record dealer I've come across ever. The amount of money he paid the lady who brought the La Beat records in is beyond what any of our greed would allow. It's funny to see people questioning his character and suspicious of his words, but, seriously, Brad isn't capable of lying about something. If he says it's the last copy, which it is, then everyone can have high confidence that it's the last copy. If you ever meet him in Detroit, you'll understand immediately.

Social source share

I don't agree, 6 to 10 visible copies would put this record at below £1000 very easily. More than 10 would drive much much lower. La Beat 45s were pressed in the 1000's. There was always a strong possibility that quantity could turn-up. Like Chalky said, it has to be assumed a possibility of more in the pipeline, else why list openly on ebay so close together. Maybe Brad has only 1 left at the moment, but what about the source. Its happened so many times before. Can only be confirmed by Brad telling the full story about the circumstances about his find to curtail speculation. At this point, he has not answered e-mails about that from several people, so can only presume the obvious.

As long as you're not one of those who has paid top wack for it - or one of those fools who think a record's only good as long as its rare - I can't see how it matters how many turn up.

Social source share

Guest spreaderone

well there allways that chance of them turning up ,but not in this case,brad ain,t that type to rip people off.as for a certain person on here trying to hype it up there is count copys to keep the dollar on it down

then go in and win it for a steel,forget it.another $7000 heading to a nice guy

spreader

Social source share

well there allways that chance of them turning up ,but not in this case,brad ain,t that type to rip people off.as for a certain person on here trying to hype it up there is count copys to keep the dollar on it down

then go in and win it for a steel,forget it.another $7000 heading to a nice guy

spreader

no one is saying Brad is ripping anyone off or questioning his integrity as a record dealer. At the end of the day he's in it to make money. But if you didn't know Brad and you saw some seller list two copies of an expensive near mint record very, within weeks of each other wouldn't you be a bit suspicious, especially with some of the rumours going round :thumbsup:

Social source share

I mentioned the Lester Tipton and Al Williams to brad a couple a of wks ago and these were found in the loft of a old ladies house in Detroit, she had absolutly no idea what she had and was amazed at the value of them.

I would trust this guy 100% always been a pleasure when ive done business with him, as for them turning up in quantity dream on I cant see it myself.

Maybe other parts of the states might have stuff in quantity hidden away somewhere, but Detriot this place has been turned upside down by every man and his dog on the hunt for that one big pay day.

I might be wrong but I doudt it.

Darren

Social source share

also had "Johnny On The Spot" for sale on a couple of occasions.

Plus a few others

>>> Al Williams nothern soul 45 rare ORIG I Am Nothing M- <<<

>>> Imaginations northern soul 45 Strange Neighborhood <<<

Brad is a dj'collector

The Johnny on the spot was listed as "buy it now" and didnt sell because it was listed too high.

He later put it on with a low start price and it then sold for considerably less than the original "buy it now"price.

It is worth reading the small print on Brad's listings ,because he is a totally honest bloke ,who provides as much info as possible i:e large photo's,soundfiles of actual records and all the important detail, including the fact that "Johnny on the spot" was cracked all the way through, and it was his actual copy that he'd not had any probs with it .

If theyre out there in Detroit, you can be sure knowledgable people like Brad will have found most of em and own most of the top tunes,and like a lot of uk collector/dj's will from time to time ,cash in on the big ticket records.

Dont think too many lester tiptons will turn up just yet.

Social source share

As long as you're not one of those who has paid top wack for it - or one of those fools who think a record's only good as long as its rare - I can't see how it matters how many turn up.

What rubbish. :lol:

Ovcorse its a great rare record one of the best.

Ovcorse it matters how many turn up the price will drop no every one has 7000 to spend on a record.

I won a record off him last week, very rare and cheaper than he wanted it to go for and I struggled to get a word from him but I got my rare record :D .

Top bloke in my books. :D:)

Never understood the fuss about Lester Tipton, it's a badly produced racket anyway.

I think its just his voice could be an effect on the mic like a fuzz box anyway sound better than a most of those Reggae recorded about the same time.

If I had the money I would by both, one to glue on the sales box and the other to glue on the DJ box, hang on a mo, one hear one their :lol: hey! I need another to play Doh :(

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I think its just his voice could be an effect on the mic like a fuzz box anyway sound better than a most of those Reggae recorded about the same time.

What the f*ck has reggae got to do with the Lester Tipton record, I mean, is that because I like reggae?

The Tipton record is badly produced, anyone can hear that, it's too loud.

Social source share

Brad is a dj'collector

The Johnny on the spot was listed as "buy it now" and didnt sell because it was listed too high.

He later put it on with a low start price and it then sold for considerably less than the original "buy it now"price.

It is worth reading the small print on Brad's listings ,because he is a totally honest bloke ,who provides as much info as possible i:e large photo's,soundfiles of actual records and all the important detail, including the fact that "Johnny on the spot" was cracked all the way through, and it was his actual copy that he'd not had any probs with it .

If theyre out there in Detroit, you can be sure knowledgable people like Brad will have found most of em and own most of the top tunes,and like a lot of uk collector/dj's will from time to time ,cash in on the big ticket records.

Dont think too many lester tiptons will turn up just yet.

Why do people keep saying Brad is a totally honest bloke as though they have to keep defending him? No one has said he's dishonest have they? Besides if he was totally honest he would have said on his first auction that he had two copies, this doesn't mean he is being dishonest or setting out to cheat someone.

He's a record dealer dealing in what can be an expensive market, he wants to make as much as he can so he isn't going to tell everything, doesn't mean to say he's dishonest and again no one saying otherwise.

Social source share

What rubbish. :D

Ovcorse its a great rare record one of the best.

Ovcorse it matters how many turn up the price will drop no every one has 7000 to spend on a record.

What?

Call me thick but I haven't a clue what you are going on about. Again!

Social source share

What the f*ck has reggae got to do with the Lester Tipton record, I mean, is that because I like reggae?

The Tipton record is badly produced, anyone can hear that, it's too loud.

Have you listened to the B-side, nothing wrong with a record being to loud.

I don't think its badly produced it has its own sound a gruff male vocal with a basic backing no scintillating strings.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Why do people keep saying Brad is a totally honest bloke as though they have to keep defending him? No one has said he's dishonest have they? Besides if he was totally honest he would have said on his first auction that he had two copies, this doesn't mean he is being dishonest or setting out to cheat someone.

He's a record dealer dealing in what can be an expensive market, he wants to make as much as he can so he isn't going to tell everything, doesn't mean to say he's dishonest and again no one saying otherwise.

always thought there is "honest" and its opposite, "dishonest". so you saying he was not totally honest says in book he was dishonest. you contradict yourself IMO...

anyway, back to the thread. If I had two copies of such a rare record I wouldn't bother to tell anyone. Imagine you have a lester tipton in your collection and find another, would you price it 25% cheaper than its market value because it's less rare than before you found said spare copy? no, you wouldn't.

Social source share

always thought there is "honest" and its opposite, "dishonest". so you saying he was not totally honest says in book he was dishonest. you contradict yourself IMO...

anyway, back to the thread. If I had two copies of such a rare record I wouldn't bother to tell anyone. Imagine you have a lester tipton in your collection and find another, would you price it 25% cheaper than its market value because it's less rare than before you found said spare copy? no, you wouldn't.

Yeah but these are two issues, I thought it was only known as a demo.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert