Soul Night Promoter

Briles

I've enjoyed reading the other thread but didn't really want to post this on that thread as it's a little off topic so have started a new one, about my dilemma as a promoter :thumbsup:

Let me start this debate off by saying that I'm a firm advocate on playing OVO - fact. This does however present me with some personal issues with the Northern Soul and Motown Night that I promote and run on a bi-monthly basis. Over the last year I've had a big variety of 17 DJ's behind the decks, some of them been DJ'ing years, with great collections, and some who are relatively youngsters at 25 years old. Easy to determine which DJ has the big expensive OVO tunes, a which one is developing and building a collection, which at this time contains quite a few pressings.

Four of these 17 DJ's fall into the pressing playing type, but these four are very, very reliable and help me out big time, and if I were to tell them they can't play again it's gonna hurt them and hurt me. My way of dealing with this is to give them early spots, and when we get to the business end of the night ie. 9.30-12.30 it's OVO only. On more than one occasion a pressing played early is on a planned playlist of one of my main DJ's great OVO set, and me as the promoter is told by an unhappy friend and DJ that he aint too happy about it, and I can see his point completely.

I'd say 90% of the punters who come and enjoy the night don't give a toss about all this, and that this discussion would sound ridiculous and send them asleep, but personally I'm more than a little torn. I'd like to hear opions of other promoters in the main, people that run your typical 100-150 punters Club Soul Night.

Edited by Briles
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I can see your dilema and feel the younger DJs should be encouraged but rather than them playing boots/pressings etc shouldn't they be furthering ther "soul" education by scouring ebay/sales lists for the great cheapies that are out there some of them long forgotten and putting sets together from these, which can be done. Isn't the hunting down and finding of these records for themselves part of the "growing" process and if they stick at it they wont they earn far more respect from the soul scene?

Think of it in 10 years time and 2 of these younger DJs are still behind the decks and the conversation could be something like this:-

"DJ A is really good but you know he plays boots/pressings" or would they rather hear someone say "DJ B is really good, you know he really has built up a great collection over the years, started off by hunting down good cheapies and built from there".

Would people have more respect for A or B and would A be respected in the same way in the future even if he finally did build up a collection of originals?

As you say it is also a motown night there is a host of affordable 60s motown tracks out there which would fit in with this sort of eve without going down the commercial motown route. There is no need to play boots and pressings these young DJs just need to have the belief in there own ability to recognise a good record without just playing boots/pressing of what the bigger DJs are playing.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Every one has an opinion on this subject and I respect that. My view is that there are enough records out there that should be played and younger or less well known DJs should track them down.

There are to many venues and this is partly fuelled by DJs who only play boots. If we had OVO policies then people would travel and attendances would even out to fill up venues. I went to a very well attended event in my part of the world a few months back where they play 90% boots. The sound system was fantastic but the sound quality of the records was terrible. One record would blast out then the next would only come out of one speaker (and it was'nt in mono). Early spots need to set the scene for what's to come. As people walk through the door they are often eager to hear what's being played and this will have an effect on the return rate.

Pat

Social source share

Every one has an opinion on this subject and I respect that. My view is that there are enough records out there that should be played and younger or less well known DJs should track them down.

There are to many venues and this is partly fuelled by DJs who only play boots. If we had OVO policies then people would travel and attendances would even out to fill up venues. I went to a very well attended event in my part of the world a few months back where they play 90% boots. The sound system was fantastic but the sound quality of the records was terrible. One record would blast out then the next would only come out of one speaker (and it was'nt in mono). Early spots need to set the scene for what's to come. As people walk through the door they are often eager to hear what's being played and this will have an effect on the return rate.

Pat

=========

ovo is great and pats analysis is spot on but the trouble is its too late to do anything about it sadly.........

you are never going to stop people playing some boots/reissues.and its not a crime either but it would be good for the scene on the long term.

lifes too short anyway and certainly wouldnt worry about it dave.

youve got a great venue that people flock to every time..

you got a good mix of people and music ,.playing ovo is irrelevant .

keep up the good work mate!

Social source share

I agree with Pat on this. By taking up an OVO policy you force the DJs (those that play boots) to think and be more imaginative with the records they play.

There are sooo many quality originals out there that are cheaper than buying boots. I would much rather hear a cheap, quality record being played than the same sounds being churned over on pressings.

Just my opinion of course and it's down to you as a promoter to decide what is best for your night (which I've been to a few times and enjoyed).

Adam.

Social source share

As a promoter of a small soul night down here in Bournemouth which I've only been running for just under a year I've tried to go down the ovo route somewhat successfully as the dj's I've booked in the main so far to the best of my knowledge play only ovo.Possible one or two boots/carvers may have been played but you can't watch the decks all the time,plus its about putting people on the dancefloor as well.

Had a conversation while ago with a punter and he's of the opinion that he doesn't care what format its played on so long as he can dance but also admitted it'd be nice to know that it was an original.

Also someone I know who dj's was playing at a venue when another dj on before him played a boot/7's copy of a tune he'd paid a lot of money for and was going to play in his set.He wasn't a happy bunny.

I try to stick with my policy although in the end it may be my downfall but so far all dj's plus the punters haven't let me down and have enjoyed themselves.

Social source share

Heres another scenario, a couple of years ago i went to a very successful local soulnight, this particular night, probably one of the most well known and well respected oldies dj`s of the scene had been booked, also being a long time friend i attended, when he was playing i went up for a chat to catch up as i`d not seen him for so long, he only had a small box with him so i asked if i could take a look he said ok, 95% of the records in his playbox were goldmine/kent re-issues, and he was playing them, as ive said on the other thread i have no problem with this and him being such a brilliant DJ he used what he had and filled the floor throughout his spot and got standing applause at the end, what would you do in this situation as a promoter youve obviously paid good money for a named dj and he brings a playbox such as this :lol:

Social source share

There's no excuse or reason to book a dj who plays boots and re-issues. There are enough djs out there in every area practically, established or wannabe, with the real deal that would take the same wage as one who plays boots.

I can understand your reasoning Briles but why not use the other 13 DJ's to help you out? Surely there are some up and coming DJ's who would gladly help you out with earlier sets who don't play boots?

Social source share

There's no excuse or reason to book a dj who plays boots and re-issues. There are enough djs out there in every area practically, established or wannabe, with the real deal that would take the same wage as one who plays boots.

I can understand your reasoning Briles but why not use the other 13 DJ's to help you out? Surely there are some up and coming DJ's who would gladly help you out with earlier sets who don't play boots?

That's the definitive answer Chalky. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

and they would probably play for free, just for the opportunity

Social source share

That's exactly the reason why some of these DJ's are still playing at my Club. They wanted to get involved my venture and helped me out when I was not in a position to dictate or question the originality of their records, or even pay them. That has now changed, but I'm at the point where I'd like to put our name the OVO only thread, but there would be moral issues with that from my point of view. Currently thinking that I'm happy being around 95% plus OVO and as Chrissie said encourage rather than demand, then see where it goes.

Keep the input coming please.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

That's exactly the reason why some of these DJ's are still playing at my Club. They wanted to get involved my venture and helped me out when I was not in a position to dictate or question the originality of their records, or even pay them. That has now changed, but I'm at the point where I'd like to put our name the OVO only thread, but there would be moral issues with that from my point of view. Currently thinking that I'm happy being around 95% plus OVO and as Chrissie said encourage rather than demand, then see where it goes.

Keep the input coming please.

when we started hitchin four years ago, there is no doubt that some non OVO records were played but as time goes on and collections improve you are definitely able to make the step of laying your cards on the table and saying yes, we are now OVO, everyone has to start somewhere, i wish you luck mate, its worth it in the end...Andy

Social source share

Social source share

when we started hitchin four years ago, there is no doubt that some non OVO records were played but as time goes on and collections improve you are definitely able to make the step of laying your cards on the table and saying yes, we are now OVO, everyone has to start somewhere, i wish you luck mate, its worth it in the end...Andy

Thanks for the honesty Andy, and all the encouragement. Reality is we aint that far away, and yes 'It's Nailed' and I'm happy now I've aired it mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Hi Dave

Knowing you and knowing the Warwick setup regarding the punters i think you are gonna survive whatever route you choose as you have 3 lots of punters coming thru the doors, the soulies who do know their music the scooter crowd you have that just come and enjoy themselves no matter what and the local hanbaggers who probably would'nt know a soul record from a dinner plate but still enjoy the night.

You cant ask for much more than that as a promoter, other than that you could always cut the amount of dj's used on the night and give longer slots to those that are on and rotate your regulars so they all get a slot at sometime or another but the main players must be your top dj's/guest dj's and your punters.

Just Keep doing what you are doing it will still be a top night.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

I've enjoyed reading the other thread but didn't really want to post this on that thread as it's a little off topic so have started a new one, about my dilemma as a promoter :thumbsup:

Let me start this debate off by saying that I'm a firm advocate on playing OVO - fact. This does however present me with some personal issues with the Northern Soul and Motown Night that I promote and run on a bi-monthly basis. Over the last year I've had a big variety of 17 DJ's behind the decks, some of them been DJ'ing years, with great collections, and some who are relatively youngsters at 25 years old. Easy to determine which DJ has the big expensive OVO tunes, a which one is developing and building a collection, which at this time contains quite a few pressings.

Four of these 17 DJ's fall into the pressing playing type, but these four are very, very reliable and help me out big time, and if I were to tell them they can't play again it's gonna hurt them and hurt me. My way of dealing with this is to give them early spots, and when we get to the business end of the night ie. 9.30-12.30 it's OVO only. On more than one occasion a pressing played early is on a planned playlist of one of my main DJ's great OVO set, and me as the promoter is told by an unhappy friend and DJ that he aint too happy about it, and I can see his point completely.

I'd say 90% of the punters who come and enjoy the night don't give a toss about all this, and that this discussion would sound ridiculous and send them asleep, but personally I'm more than a little torn. I'd like to hear opions of other promoters in the main, people that run your typical 100-150 punters Club Soul Night.

Hi Dave

You got a great club there, and imho I can't see anything wrong with pressings, we've all had them at some point in our soulful lives, I've still got some, as you know I play originals, but I have played a pressing or 2 in the past, however while D-Jing at our own club in banbury I played Mary Wells 'use your head' on stateside, someone came up to me and said 'Oh I see you haven't got it on 20th century' so what I am saying is do people look down at british releases as not original.

Dave as I said before you got a great club at Warwick, just keep up the good work

Steve

(Banbury Soul Club)

Social source share

while D-Jing at our own club in banbury I played Mary Wells 'use your head' on stateside, someone came up to me and said 'Oh I see you haven't got it on 20th century'

(Banbury Soul Club)

Far more scarce and desirable on Stateside than 20th Century (IMO).

Anyone who would even hint that playing such a 45 is to be 'looked down on' has totally lost the plot.

You should be applauded for playing such a great tune - regardless of the label.

Sean

Social source share

Far more scarce and desirable on Stateside than 20th Century (IMO).

Anyone who would even hint that playing such a 45 is to be 'looked down on' has totally lost the plot.

You should be applauded for playing such a great tune - regardless of the label.

Sean

Thanks for that Sean, it does amaze me sometimes that people think that way if the record was recorded in the states first and then over here, 'They say its not a true original' coz it wasn't released here first???

Steve

Social source share

Thanks for that Sean, it does amaze me sometimes that people think that way if the record was recorded in the states first and then over here, 'They say its not a true original' coz it wasn't released here first???

Steve

The 'Original Vinyl Only' format / dogma has been twisted totally out of context in recent times - by those who know no better.

It 'should' refer to the non-playing of illegal issues (Bootlegs) and most definitely should not apply to other totally 'legitimate' label releases, which, of course Stateside is.

Not saying for a second that 'rarer is better' but there are scores of records that are as common as muck on US 'original' label but rare as Hens teeth on British!

Any collector who thinks a US 20th Century copy is more collectable than a Stateside copy of that particular track is (IMO) misguided, to say the least.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Ovo as always been the only way forward in my neck of the woods if its not original you DONT play it,because at the moment in certain areas of the country any tom dick or harry are starting a northern nite up,with their fist full of pressings & the best northern soul collection in the country on cd :rolleyes: ....even ive got one of them wink.gif .

Ive not been out & about recently but reading other threads the scene is changing!nothing new there then :thumbsup: .....more towards the smaller clubs playing quality underplayed tunes,which in my opinion its what the scene as always been about...,

Social source share

I've enjoyed reading the other thread but didn't really want to post this on that thread as it's a little off topic so have started a new one, about my dilemma as a promoter :lol:

Hi,

If I were you, I'd be dead honest with your mate. An easy option would be to have a word before the night and remind him who the guest DJ is and of any specific big records that you know your main guest has on OVO and 'remind' him not to play them early as it will offend. If he really doesn't know why, then explain.

You'd deffo be doing him a favour as a DJ.

If he does already know this and wants to play it anyway, he's not really having much respect for the guy who's gone searching out the original so I'd shorten his spots and discourage him from DJ'ing for you.

Jayne.x. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert