O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Guest andrew bin

So what kind of collection have I got?

Or Kev Briscoe?

Or John Benson?

Or Tats Taylor?

Last thing I'd be doing is carting my entire Record collection around to a Soul Night.

One has very little to do with the other (IMO).

Nobody would have a clue what I own from just looking at the decks - other than whats on at that time!

Do we want to turn the 'so called' PROGRESSIVE Soul scene into some kind of 'Antiques flippin Roadshow'

Wheres the va-vav voom in that?

biggrin.gif

spot on :thumbsup:

i know a few collectors and not so well known dj's who have superb collections that include some big money records

a few months ago i was at a doo where a dj was playing a blinder of a spot and i over heard some snidey get say "thats a boot" and i knew full well that the dj was playing all originals, like i said snidey gets

Social source share

Great post Sean but I would just take issue with the CDs made it possible for more unreleased. Kent of course put out lots of great unreleased on LPs, mainly Scepeter Wand Musicor, Brunswick but also Spring, Modern and others. It was just a matter of the timing of CDs arrival, if they had not been invented I'm sure just as many would have been released on vinyl.

Social source share

Nowadays there seems to be little or no opportunity to do anything remotely like that and I can only summise its because, simultaneously with the Music Industry moving away from vinyl, the UK Soul Scene seemed to have become even more retro (60's biased) in music and playlist policy and ever more blindly loyal to the 'Vinyl' format - this on a scene that was pioneered by 'Mods' (Modernists) - and it's my belief that this thinking is strangling the opportunity to play anything that's actually fresh, recent or in any way innovative!

Sean

A good post Sean, and as a general soul fan I know exactly where you are coming from. Fact is though the northern scene has not really championed new releases since the days of Stafford over 20 years ago when old Dickie Searling was doing his thing. I am trying to rack my brains to think of any new soul played regularly on the northern scene. The odd thing has eventually crossed over like Drizabone and Corey Glover - long after deletion and being hammered on the modern scene I might add. More recently UBP but that divides the crowd. And I know some have played those Levine thingys like Standing on solid ground.

But other than that I am really struggling to think of ANY. The northern scene is essentially a 60s scene with records included up and until the 70s and the very odd thing from the early 80s. And perhaps that's why the preference will always lean towards vinyl - original vinyl at that :rolleyes:

Social source share

A good post Sean, and as a general soul fan I know exactly where you are coming from. Fact is though the northern scene has not really championed new releases since the days of Stafford over 20 years ago when old Dickie Searling was doing his thing. I am trying to rack my brains to think of any new soul played regularly on the northern scene. The odd thing has eventually crossed over like Drizabone and Corey Glover - long after deletion and being hammered on the modern scene I might add. More recently UBP but that divides the crowd. And I know some have played those Levine thingys like Standing on solid ground.

But other than that I am really struggling to think of ANY. The northern scene is essentially a 60s scene with records included up and until the 70s and the very odd thing from the early 80s. And perhaps that's why the preference will always lean towards vinyl - original vinyl at that :rolleyes:

===

do u think that all the tops djs in the 70s/80s all had originals of gwen owens,mel britt,eddie parker etc???

Social source share

Hi Gareth,

I most certainly do agree that a venue that promotes VO "Vinyl Only" in this day and age seems to me to be extremely backward thinking... and the main reason is that the advent of the CD has afforded us far more previously unreleased material than we ever thought possible.

Prior to the CD 'previously unreleased' material becoming available was almost unheard of (people tend to cite Betty Boo as an example - and then run out of ideas :rolleyes: ). This technology has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive to produce - in fairly low quantities - and because of this it has yielded scores of 'new' (new/old) tracks and helped to make them available for the DJ / Soul Fan to own, play and promote.

I couldn't imagine the likes of the awesome Bettye Swann "I Want Sunday Back Again" would have gained a posthumous issue, becoming available to us all, were it not for the CD.

How sad would that have been?

Must admit, this is an interesting subject and one that I've given a lot of thought to recently, thanks to Steve starting the thread. Not sure if anyone else has reached the same conclusion as me - or if there's anyone even remotely on my wavelength for that matter but here's my (further) two penneth.

As a Soul record collector, I fully understand the attraction (or is it an obsession?) with rare, original and obscure vinyl. I've been addicted for the past 40 years - and still can't shake it loose - but despite this, I'm still bothered by 'Original Vinyl Only' as a principal when it comes to the actual 'promotion' of Soul Music, particularly 'new' Soul Music and the role of the DJ in the UK today.

But in answer to your question, I think that there's a lot that's quite perverse about the Northern scene and the 'non-use' of such a superb media is one of them.

The biggest challenge with the dogma is that it prohibits the programming of New releases.

Look back at our history; we always played new and recent releases. We played them in the 60's, 70's and 80's... but something happened along the way to change all that. The fact is, new material hardly ever emerges on vinyl these days - so then how does a DJ get the chance to play anything contemporary that might work on the 'Northern' dancefloor - without accepting the new technology on which it appears?

Back in the 70's and early 80's, I could go out and buy a brand new Soul 45 release, on a Friday afternoon (for less than a quid) and at the Nighters and gigs I worked, help to make it a biggie... over that same weekend!

Likewise, I could get my hands on a new or recent 12" or LP - or dig into the collection - and pull out a handful of unplayed (or underplayed) album tracks and do the same with those i.e. fill the floor and introduce the crowd to something fresh and new - every single week!

Nowadays there seems to be little or no opportunity to do anything remotely like that and I can only summise its because, simultaneously with the Music Industry moving away from vinyl, the UK Soul Scene seemed to have become even more retro (60's biased) in music and playlist policy and ever more blindly loyal to the 'Vinyl' format - this on a scene that was pioneered by 'Mods' (Modernists) - and it's my belief that this thinking is strangling the opportunity to play anything that's actually fresh, recent or in any way innovative!

Early 80's, at Clifton Hall, Cleethorpes and elsewhere, brand new material was always programmed heavily along with newly discovered old stuff, classics and revivals - all in the one room and to the same crowd. Nobody thought that they were being particularly 'open-minded' its just the way it had always been. For the DJ it was about pleasing the floor whilst pushing the envelope and introducing the dancers to something new (a new artist, a new album, a new sound!). I may be wrong, but there seems to be nowhere on the scene that this happens nowadays and (IMO) it's hugely detrimental to the promotion of Soul Music in the UK... and to the real progression of the scene in general.

Sure, we're different to other Music scenes in many ways - we hunt for our music and track down the artists that nobody else would ever champion, we dedicate time, money and resources to looking for that elusive gem, but the argument that 'we're different' is now actually working against us and in many ways holds us back from enjoying and discovering even more. There's seems to me to be a few 'special' criteria on what makes a tune 'work' and become accepted on the Northern dancefloor and though there is a real mystique attached to scarcity or the 'unknown' it never was solely about 'rarity' to my mind. It was much more about the magic created by the Music itself - regardless of when it was made or who it was made by.

I fear that while ever we take the view that 'Only Vinyl' is acceptable, it's inevitable that a great deal of incredible Music will be lost.

Sean

OK I've skimmed through that but I think I'll wait for the film to come out to get the full gist.

Leaving aside any 60's perceived bias aren't you saying that the modern side of it isn't as modern as it was, so that current tracks don't fit in.

Or is it that you're referring to more "indie" style tracks that maybe aren't modern enough for the YK2 scene wherever that is nowadays.

ROD

Social source share

OK I've skimmed through that but I think I'll wait for the film to come out to get the full gist.

Leaving aside any 60's perceived bias aren't you saying that the modern side of it isn't as modern as it was, so that current tracks don't fit in.

Or is it that you're referring to more "indie" style tracks that maybe aren't modern enough for the YK2 scene wherever that is nowadays.

ROD

:rolleyes:

Brevity was never bestowed upon me - and the Irish never use one word when five will do!

But you've pretty much summed up what I was saying, Rod.

There have been scores of releases these past 15 years that 'could' have been played and enjoyed on the Northern scene (had CD's not been frowned upon) yet they are are considered too 'traditional' for the 'Modern Soul' scene.

Theres a wealth of Soul Music that's untouched and underexposed on 'both' scenes.

Just figure if either a) they'd been put out on vinyl or cool.gif CD's had been accepted we might then have had a chance to hear quite a few more 'new' and interesting tracks this past decade or so... something I think most of us would consider a good thing.

Particularly as the so called 'Modern' side of Northern is really pretty much 'same old same old' in many respects.

Sean

Social source share

Great post Sean but I would just take issue with the CDs made it possible for more unreleased. Kent of course put out lots of great unreleased on LPs, mainly Scepeter Wand Musicor, Brunswick but also Spring, Modern and others. It was just a matter of the timing of CDs arrival, if they had not been invented I'm sure just as many would have been released on vinyl.

Kent were always the exception to the rule, Ady, I think we'd all agree.

Sean

Social source share

Brevity was never bestowed upon me - and the Irish never use one word when five will do!

But you've pretty much summed up what I was saying, Rod.

There have been scores of releases these past 15 years that 'could' have been played and enjoyed on the Northern scene (had CD's not been frowned upon) yet they are are considered too 'traditional' for the 'Modern Soul' scene.

Theres a wealth of Soul Music that's untouched and underexposed on 'both' scenes.

Just figure if either a) they'd been put out on vinyl or cool.gif CD's had been accepted we might then have had a chance to hear quite a few more 'new' and interesting tracks this past decade or so... something I think most of us would consider a good thing.

Particularly as the so called 'Modern' side of Northern is really pretty much 'same old same old' in many respects.

Sean

I understand what you are saying Sean, but as a regular attendee at northern / rare soul nights, its bloody hard to break any new record onto the northern scene these days. Some of them take years. A 2004 "indie" release from Memphis- pretty much impossible I'd say.

Social source share

But other than that I am really struggling to think of ANY. The northern scene is essentially a 60s scene with records included up and until the 70s and the very odd thing from the early 80s. And perhaps that's why the preference will always lean towards vinyl - original vinyl at that :thumbup:

So what do you think happened to change it, Steve?

As I said in my monsta post - We all played the whole of Soul in one room - to the same crowd.

It wasn't only Richard that was playing contemporary Soul, as you know.

Many DJ's did at the time.

How did Bobby Womack "So Many Sides Of You" etc. become so big - as new releases? It's because it was ALL acceptable (at least to the dancefloor).

Do you think the hiving off of the 'Modern Soul' stuff into seperate rooms had an adverse affect? I tend to think it did.

Personally, I don't see why the Northern Scene has to be 'last' in many respects with the music.

Why wait X number of years to play Drizabone / Corey Glover and the like?

Shouldn't 'progressive' DJ's be playing decent (if we can call Drizabone decent) or acceptable 'sounding' music now?

Let's take the lovely Doc Peabody for example.

A pretty 'modern' sounding Soul record to me (certainly not a 'stomper').

The 'Northern' crowd will/should accept such a 'sound'... because it's bloody good... not because its rare!

There are certainly other great 'sounding' tunes from the past 25 years (and even the past 12 months) that should be having their day on the Dancefloor - before they become 'rare' or 'deleted'.

It just takes a little effort and imagination (IMO) and a bit of easing off the blinkers in some quarters.

Sean

Social source share

I understand what you are saying Sean, but as a regular attendee at northern / rare soul nights, its bloody hard to break any new record onto the northern scene these days. Some of them take years. A 2004 "indie" release from Memphis- pretty much impossible I'd say.

I know that you are a 'general Soul fan' as you put it, so I'm glad you know where I'm coming from on this.

And I'm with you, Steve - it might be tough.

It was always tough, trying to break new tunes and sticking out ones neck!

But its surely worth it!

60's 70's 80's 90's or whatever comes after...

I guess like most things in life, if it's easy... its probably not worth doing!

Hey, I've spent a lot of valuable time just shooting the breeze here. Don't mind if you concur, don't mind if you don't... and as my old mate used to say... it's only Rock and Roll!

But if just one DJ, plays just one new tune that gets accepted on the scene, it'll have been worth it!

Sean

Social source share

So what do you think happened to change it, Steve?

As I said in my monsta post - We all played the whole of Soul in one room - to the same crowd.

It wasn't only Richard that was playing contemporary Soul, as you know.

Many DJ's did at the time.

How did Bobby Womack "So Many Sides Of You" etc. become so big - as new releases? It's because it was ALL acceptable (at least to the dancefloor).

Do you think the hiving off of the 'Modern Soul' stuff into seperate rooms had an adverse affect? I tend to think it did.

Personally, I don't see why the Northern Scene has to be 'last' in many respects with the music.

Why wait X number of years to play Drizabone / Corey Glover and the like?

Shouldn't 'progressive' DJ's be playing decent (if we can call Drizabone decent) or acceptable 'sounding' music now?

Let's take the lovely Doc Peabody for example.

A pretty 'modern' sounding Soul record to me (certainly not a 'stomper').

The 'Northern' crowd will/should accept such a 'sound'... because it's bloody good... not because its rare!

There are certainly other great 'sounding' tunes from the past 25 years (and even the past 12 months) that should be having their day on the Dancefloor - before they become 'rare' or 'deleted'.

It just takes a little effort and imagination (IMO) and a bit of easing off the blinkers in some quarters.

Sean

I know Richard wasn't alone, we were all doing it in the early 80s - you lot, Adam and me down at the Fleet as Simon M will no doubt recall, Robin etc...but after 85???????? No the northern scene stopped embracing new / recent releases and the modern scene was self contained by then. Probably right about the two room thing having an impact. I remember once at the Fleet finishing with C L Blast "Love don't feel like love no more" off of the Cotillion album and handing over to the Vicar who looked disgusted at me and started with "Trypt on love" by Wakefield Sun. I thought then these two scenes are incompatible.

Progressive DJs have played recent releases but much less so on the northern scene - the nostalgia element clearly don't want to hear them - terribly sad but that's the way it is. You heard the hassle James had at the Essex weekender and he was even playing northern!

I tried really hard with that DJ Shadow thing - no one was interested and it's a great 45 (vinyl too). The Rare soul boys by and large don't want to hear the recent releases either, as obviously rare soul is rare soul and not new releases. Doc Peabody is an interesting example being nearly 30 years old (1980)- and even that has taken an age to take off down here.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I had a go at the Fleet too Steve 1984 , you stayed in the record room with Max !! :rolleyes:

Alas the scene is very different now with hundreds of local gigs and there is only about 3-4 deejays busy enough to break tunes and thats Butch , Sam and Mick H .

Theres still hope , as the Euro scenes prove but the UK seems too fragemented IMO

Simon

ps. If you do have fresh tunes hammer em I say !! :thumbup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I had a go at the Fleet too Steve 1984 , you stayed in the record room with Max !! :rolleyes:

Alas the scene is very different now with hundreds of local gigs and there is only about 3-4 deejays busy enough to break tunes and thats Butch , Sam and Mick H .

Theres still hope , as the Euro scenes prove but the UK seems too fragemented IMO

Simon

----------------------

ABSOLUTELY

Social source share

Simon

ps. If you do have fresh tunes hammer em I say !! :rolleyes:

Agree but those three are all on the rare soul scene.

Agree about the Euro scene - it is SO refreshing.

Don't worry some fresh stuff will be unleashed at Hitchin tomorrow.

Social source share

Im not really worried Steve , as I am enjoying retro scenes outside of the Trad Northern gigs.

I look forward to checking Oslo ,Sweden , Soul Spectrum in Scotland and other Yarmouths ,Soul Rev's and Lifelines .

Keep it fresh all the way Steve youve got the records !!

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Hi Gareth,

I most certainly do agree that a venue that promotes VO "Vinyl Only" in this day and age seems to me to be extremely backward thinking... and the main reason is that the advent of the CD has afforded us far more previously unreleased material than we ever thought possible.

Prior to the CD 'previously unreleased' material becoming available was almost unheard of (people tend to cite Betty Boo as an example - and then run out of ideas :P ). This technology has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive to produce - in fairly low quantities - and because of this it has yielded scores of 'new' (new/old) tracks and helped to make them available for the DJ / Soul Fan to own, play and promote.

I couldn't imagine the likes of the awesome Bettye Swann "I Want Sunday Back Again" would have gained a posthumous issue, becoming available to us all, were it not for the CD.

How sad would that have been?

Must admit, this is an interesting subject and one that I've given a lot of thought to recently, thanks to Steve starting the thread. Not sure if anyone else has reached the same conclusion as me - or if there's anyone even remotely on my wavelength for that matter but here's my (further) two penneth.

As a Soul record collector, I fully understand the attraction (or is it an obsession?) with rare, original and obscure vinyl. I've been addicted for the past 40 years - and still can't shake it loose - but despite this, I'm still bothered by 'Original Vinyl Only' as a principal when it comes to the actual 'promotion' of Soul Music, particularly 'new' Soul Music and the role of the DJ in the UK today.

But in answer to your question, I think that there's a lot that's quite perverse about the Northern scene and the 'non-use' of such a superb media is one of them.

The biggest challenge with the dogma is that it prohibits the programming of New releases.

Look back at our history; we always played new and recent releases. We played them in the 60's, 70's and 80's... but something happened along the way to change all that. The fact is, new material hardly ever emerges on vinyl these days - so then how does a DJ get the chance to play anything contemporary that might work on the 'Northern' dancefloor - without accepting the new technology on which it appears?

Back in the 70's and early 80's, I could go out and buy a brand new Soul 45 release, on a Friday afternoon (for less than a quid) and at the Nighters and gigs I worked, help to make it a biggie... over that same weekend!

Likewise, I could get my hands on a new or recent 12" or LP - or dig into the collection - and pull out a handful of unplayed (or underplayed) album tracks and do the same with those i.e. fill the floor and introduce the crowd to something fresh and new - every single week!

Early 80's, at Clifton Hall, Cleethorpes and elsewhere, brand new material was always programmed heavily along with newly discovered old stuff, classics and revivals - all in the one room and to the same crowd. Nobody thought that they were being particularly 'open-minded' its just the way it had always been. For the DJ it was about pleasing the floor whilst pushing the envelope and introducing the dancers to something new (a new artist, a new album, a new sound!). I may be wrong, but there seems to be nowhere on the scene that this happens nowadays and (IMO) it's hugely detrimental to the promotion of Soul Music in the UK... and to the real progression of the scene in general.

Sure, we're different to other Music scenes in many ways - we hunt for our music and track down the artists that nobody else would ever champion, we dedicate time, money and resources to looking for that elusive gem, but the argument that 'we're different' is now actually working against us and in many ways holds us back from enjoying and discovering even more. There's seems to me to be a few 'special' criteria on what makes a tune 'work' and become accepted on the Northern dancefloor and though there is a real mystique attached to scarcity or the 'unknown' it never was solely about 'rarity' to my mind. It was much more about the magic created by the Music itself - regardless of when it was made or who it was made by.

I fear that while ever we take the view that 'Only Vinyl' is acceptable, it's inevitable that a great deal of incredible Music will be lost.

Sean

I don't wish to embarrass Sean here, but this piece is one of the many reasons why this fella' is so hugely respected by me and many others in our geographical locale.

I recall as a 16 year old fledgling terrace terror getting on board one of Sean's coaches from Pond Street to Cleethorpes to see Sam et al at a nighter (around 1981). We took the front seats, then somebody pushed a cassette into the bus deck, and we were in heaven, God knows how many hours later I had met many more kindred spirits and thankfully folks from other cities that we didn't want to attack. We were going to Rotherham and listening to current release music i.e. Tony Fox, Curtis etc alongside the fantastic Richard Searling cover up Leo Wright " Baby Don't You Do It", full up-tempo 60's alongside mid-tempo, this was my opening into the rare soul scene, but what I learned back then was that it was all about original music........... and today I have had the pleasure to dj alongside Sean Hampsey, only last month in Sheffield I told him excitedly about the Bobby Burn on Chant that went for 4 figures......he pulled me to one side then produced Bobby Burn on Chant out of his box............respect .....Period.

Social source share

I'm watching this debate with interest. :g:

I honestly think you guys have to set the agenda. :P

The scene is fragmented and some parts of it are desperately unsexy musically. ph34r.gif

I for one would embrace more of a merger of different styles under the general Northern Soul/Modern Soul moniker rather than the 'either one or the other' scenario we have now. There's enough intelligence and passion in this thread alone to put together a more progressive music policy and target the more progressive audience across both the Northern and Modern scenes and some potential new inductees. :wicked:

Part of the role of tastemaker DJ's is to project their tastes upon a (hopefully) willing audience. :no:

You guys should get your heads together and SET the agenda! A more eclectic challenging music policy right now with the right DJ's at the right venue could inject a new dimension to a scene which obviously needs a fresh focus. :P

C'mon guys sort it out. That's why they pay you the big bucks innit? :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

ive come to the conclusion that some not all these djs who play of boots etc dont know what a original is from a boot

what makes me laugh is....they have a carver done (parliaments for example),tell you it's just to listen at home,then go to great pains to have a look alike label stuck on it.If it's just for home use then why :no::P .No it's to impress their mates, yeh right!.Pal of mine went to a do and the dj was playing a boot of EPITOME OF SOUND and he'd paid loads of dosh for it thinking it was real,so your probably right in your quote. right on ,keep the faith,soul bros and sisters ect ect....tezza :wicked:

Social source share

I'm watching this debate with interest. :g:

I honestly think you guys have to set the agenda. :P

The scene is fragmented and some parts of it are desperately unsexy musically. ph34r.gif

I for one would embrace more of a merger of different styles under the general Northern Soul/Modern Soul moniker rather than the 'either one or the other' scenario we have now. There's enough intelligence and passion in this thread alone to put together a more progressive music policy and target the more progressive audience across both the Northern and Modern scenes and some potential new inductees. :wicked:

Part of the role of tastemaker DJ's is to project their tastes upon a (hopefully) willing audience. :no:

You guys should get your heads together and SET the agenda! A more eclectic challenging music policy right now with the right DJ's at the right venue could inject a new dimension to a scene which obviously needs a fresh focus. :P

C'mon guys sort it out. That's why they pay you the big bucks innit? :lol:

Ian D :D

I'm with you in principle here but how exactly do you set an 'agenda' for something as organic as an underground dance culture? (Or am I being a little na¯ve here?)

Edited by Goldwax
Social source share

You're very welcome Gavin.

I don't have a problem with rare (or not particularly rare) original vinyl. As you know, as a collector, I've got tons of it. Just think it's a great shame that other media is given a wide berth in some quarters - and that in itself excludes many fabulous Soul tracks from being played.

After all, if we are Soul Music fans, why should it really matter that much?

The music policy at Essence speaks for itself. The quality is unmatched and that's why Soul fans from all over the UK and Europe make it the first date in the Diary each year.

Much kudos to you and your team... hopefully for many years to come.

:P

Sean

Well said Sean ........

Except for one unacceptable form of release , does it really matter what medium delivers the music , as long as the music gets to be played - and more importantly - heard ? ......

Whether some like it or not - they will have to acknowledge that a time will come , when the music is more important the politics and assumed ethics that surrounds it - and that time for that acknowledgement is NOW .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I'm with you in principle here but how exactly do you set an 'agenda' for something as organic as an underground dance culture? (Or am I being a little na¯ve here?)

Well Steve G, Simon M and Sean Hampsey just on this thread have a huge knowledge base between 'em, so the next logical step would be for several of 'em to get together and talk about a progressive musical policy which would set the agenda rather than just following one.

It's only when I read threads like this that I realise how lucky we were in the 70's to have caught the zeitgeist at a particular point in time which almost guaranteed full houses most of the time across the North. That meant that we had a far higher turnover of tunes which broke much quicker and made the scene more vibrant (note: age also had a lot to do with it - we had a young audience back then).

Not easy I know, but someone has to grab the bull by the horns and make the scene a bit more accessible to a younger, musically interested audience. My mates over on EMS are constantly sending me music files which are relatively recent and 100% Northern but can't be played now because of the restrictions of the scene itself. It seems such a waste to know that in 10-15 years is probably when some of these things will be aired for the first time. It must drive people like Sean Hampsey nuts!

'OFO' - Original Format Only might be the way to go, as that would include OV but not exclude equally good tunes which maybe didn't have the benefit of being released on vinyl in the 60's.

Also having an event with such a music policy would focus a very fragmented scene right now and hopefully find a sympathetic audience - as they seem to be outside the UK!

Ian D :P

Social source share

C'mon guys sort it out. That's why they pay you the big bucks innit? laugh.gif

Ian D :lamsey:

Enough about Sean and his salary :lamsey:

Seriously the scene has become so fragmented I am struggling to see how you would attract sufficient interest short of just starting something completely new. Like in a student town or something. Think about it oldies, newies, 60s, 70s 90s, Y2K, fast, midtempo, crossover, Hammond, R&B (spit), mamsy pamsey, new indies, soulful House, Mod - all very varied. A very fragmented scene.

I was reading that Wigan thread and frankly I have absolutely nothing in common whatsoever with the baggie trousered Wigan oldies brigade that bounce around a shoping centre whirling round and clapping their hands in unison to "One wonderful moment". If my friends saw that on Youtube and said "Isn't that what you like?" my answer would be a firm "No way".

Certainly the revivalists on the northern scene are in a large majority and as I have said before the number of people that would class themselves as being on the northern scene that actually WANT to hear new tunes is the minority - and that's just 60s new tunes we are talking about. Move the musical time machine forward a decade and a whole load more fall off of the wagon (ooh that's "modern / funk"). Slow the tempo down below 99 mph and more still drop off the bandwagon and use words like "midtempo dirge" etc. Play "It's available" tunes and the rare soul boys lose interest. Play rare tunes and the "It's available" boys get squiffy.

That underlying resistance that dominates the northern scene to hear new music reflects the wider community as I have said before. Very few 40s and 50s like anything other than what they liked as Teenagers. That's how Genesis can fill Twickenham with pot bellied middle agers. And yet on our scene monthly / quarterly allnighters at the Upfront venues do little more than wash their face in terms of attendees. I really fear for the rare soul scene's long term well being. 800 people go to a shopping centre to hear Russ play bootlegs and the Flirts mash their way through "Little Darling" and we're lucky if 300 turn up at an upfront venue.

The way it is going you would be forced to ask what will it be like in 10 years time without a serious injection of new bloods onto the northern scene? For comparisoon look no farther than the R&R scene - now confined to their "oldies" and a dwindling number attending fewer and fewer weekend "extravaganzas".

I got into soul music cos it was cool, bucked the trend, was different, underground - and now looking at what the northern scene is becoming it's the opposite of all of those things.

It does call for a fresh approach, but there is no easy answer. Let's be brutal - hardly any youngsters (I know there are a few) are going to be attracted to a scene where the majority of punters are old enough to be their Grand-dads are they. It's just not cool.

Musically plenty have tried a 'fresh approach', but they never succeed.

I do quite like "OF" for Original Format.

Social source share

Don't know if anyone has said this but the version of Ghost In My House on the MFP album is totally different to the single - the single starts off with the guitar intro, the album track does not have the guitar intro and begins with the words "Theres a ghost in my house", totally different recording

There is 2 versions of Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby - The MFP Album version is longer than the single which was released due to its popularity on the northern scene.

Social source share

only slightly off topic but my CLOCK is o.v.o the winstones -color him father - metromedia. :lamsey:

chris ph34r.gif

So is my weekend / behind closed doors outfit ...........

Only joking before you start .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

whats that then steve .....got a new shirt.......stripey l hope lol :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well I love Ghost In My House because it was the first Northern record I ever danced to in public! :lol:

The lp version is much tamer than the single but a lot of that is to do with the stereo mix.

pete is that 1p version....or LP version either way the price is right lol :P ....just kiddddd in

Social source share

I don't wish to embarrass Sean here, but this piece is one of the many reasons why this fella' is so hugely respected by me and many others in our geographical locale.

I recall as a 16 year old fledgling terrace terror getting on board one of Sean's coaches from Pond Street to Cleethorpes to see Sam et al at a nighter (around 1981). We took the front seats, then somebody pushed a cassette into the bus deck, and we were in heaven, God knows how many hours later I had met many more kindred spirits and thankfully folks from other cities that we didn't want to attack. We were going to Rotherham and listening to current release music i.e. Tony Fox, Curtis etc alongside the fantastic Richard Searling cover up Leo Wright " Baby Don't You Do It", full up-tempo 60's alongside mid-tempo, this was my opening into the rare soul scene, but what I learned back then was that it was all about original music........... and today I have had the pleasure to dj alongside Sean Hampsey, only last month in Sheffield I told him excitedly about the Bobby Burn on Chant that went for 4 figures......he pulled me to one side then produced Bobby Burn on Chant out of his box............respect .....Period.

Only very slightly embarrassed Brett! :lol:

I remember those days very well.

All Soul Music, all in one place... no divisions, no bull!

Perhaps that's the answer? - A Soul Coach! :wub:

We leave Pond Street, Sheffield, every Saturday evening and go from town to town, playing our tapes and spreading our Love and Soul Music to the masses!

Or... maybe not! :)

The missus probably wouldn't let me anyway! :P

Thanks Brett for the memories and kind words.

The feeling is mutual. :thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I got into soul music cos it was cool, bucked the trend, was different, underground - and now looking at what the northern scene is becoming it's the opposite of all of those things.

It does call for a fresh approach, but there is no easy answer. Let's be brutal - hardly any youngsters (I know there are a few) are going to be attracted to a scene where the majority of punters are old enough to be their Grand-dads are they. It's just not cool.

Musically plenty have tried a 'fresh approach', but they never succeed.

I do quite like "OF" for Original Format.

Must admit Steve, I don't have all the answers.

It's a tricky one. But a journey of a thousand miles... single step and all that!

Just feel that the scene seems to have gone from new tunes breaking every weekend to 3 or 4 every 5-10 years, and that can't possibly be healthy.... but hey, I guess that's the choice of the paying public.

Frankly, I think you're right. It's gonna be nighon impossible to attract the younger generation in great numbers - but I'm more interested in retaining and entertaining the generation we've already got!

I'm with Simon M and his advice... 'If you've got fresh tunes hammer 'em...' and I'm sure, like many of us, you have a repository of real Soul records that would 'go'... if the criteria on the 'Northern Scene' was allowed, once more, to be much more than 'rarity' first.

Of more importance to me is a home for the decent Soul Music that's not getting aired - disqualified because it's on the wrong or unacceptable 'format' or excluded and vilified because it's not (yet) 'rare'.

Maybe the 'Northern Scene' (Progressive or Otherwise) is not the place, anymore, for fresh material?

Maybe the 'Third Way' (as Plumby calls it) practiced over the years at such haunts as Pitches in Rotherham, the Munsters in Brum and more recently the Orwell in Wigan (not a complete list) is the rightful place for fresher Soul music (or the chance to hear something different)?

Most of the 'Crossover' type venues seem to have no problem embracing the more contemporary or less formulaic, as long as it 'sounds' right. Perhaps that audience is more receptive to the Music itself for its own sake and where fresh stuff will always gain a better reception?

But, I honestly felt that after too many years of fragmentation, there were some signs of convergence.

After all, we've seen Soul Sam getting behind Joi Cardwell "Let It Go" (Soulful House... on the 'Northern' scene?).

We've seen Pete Smith making recommendations on here for Anthoney Wright's new offering (not a tune that's been fully accepted by the 'Modern' crowd... but you get my drift?).

We've witnessed hardcore 'Northern' folk getting in a lather over Amy Winehouse and Duffy... probably because it was something 'new' to listen to.

So I'm thinking, maybe were not as polarized as some might like to think?

Or maybe we are :thumbsup:

I guess DJ's tend to fall under the following categories - and that affects how they approach the choice of music in their play lists.

Soul Lover - DJ - Collector

Soul Lover - Collector - DJ

Collector - DJ - Soul Lover

Collector - Soul Lover - DJ

There are other permutations, but these tend to be the ones I normally encounter. I'd certainly rather go to a gig where the lineup includes the former categories, because I'm more likely to hear high quality music delivered in an entertaining manner, than be exposed to either the tedious 'same old same old' or have DJ's try to bedazzle or impress me with the collectors items on show.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that we've moved a long way from the initial thinking.

Maybe 'original format' / "OF" is perfectly acceptable to the majority of people (OVO reminds me too much of 'Whites Only' and Pointy Hats!) because it makes it clear that we are open minded to newly available material but against the encouragement of illegal pressings and bootlegging - but as Rod said, in some cases that genie is out of the bottle and for the Village Hall 'do' or the 'bit of Northern' at a wedding there's little any of us should be too concerned about.

From the various messages and replies I've seen I'm pretty sure that most people take the common sense view.

Ady has conceded that he'd probably use CD's... if other DJ's would... and Rich has even got a 'Legit Re-Issue' thread running (I'm unaware of any death threats) so that's got to be progress for Music over elitism or censorship, no matter how well intended.

Cheers

Sean

Social source share

I think that sentence really highlights everything and shows the perversity of the current scene. If things don't change now and the NS scene doesn't regain its role as the champions of soul music in 20 years it will all be gone, dead, finished.

Social source share

I think that sentence really highlights everything and shows the perversity of the current scene. If things don't change now and the NS scene doesn't regain its role as the champions of soul music in 20 years it will all be gone, dead, finished.

Agreed! It kills me when I hear records elsewhere that should have been aired on the Northern Scene first and foremost (and probably would have been if not for 'closed' minds).

I think there's some progress happening. 'OFO' would be a good start methinks as that embraces the philosophy of 'OVO' without the restrictions on format......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ady has conceded that he'd probably use CD's... if other DJ's would... and Rich has even got a 'Legit Re-Issue' thread running (I'm unaware of any death threats) so that's got to be progress for Music over elitism or censorship, no matter how well intended.

Cheers

Sean

Eloquent and pertinent points made Sean - And one argument that I'm not willing to get involved with as such but with the legit unreleased material on 45s thread I started (in many ways 'inspired' from this very thread) was in many ways to highlight what great material is available and legitimate in both a legal and the right to play out at a venue without fear of worrying about OVO etc. I see no reason why a Dj cannot play an unissued recording on Grapevine whatsoever but I can understand (and support in many many ways) why a Dj or attendee at a night might well get the huff on hearing a released / re-issued track on Grapevine. But from so many soul nights / all nighters to choose from I think we can all choose for ourselves if the OVO issue bothers us. I know from a personal point of view if I were to visit an advertised 'upfront / progressive' venue and hear boots / re-issues then that would firmly out me in the OVO only camp. I have no wish to visit oldies only venues but understand that to many the issue of format / legality etc has no bearing on what is a good night out for many. I know thats a simplistic view and know the issues cross but I do believe promotors / Dj's should nail their colours to the mast for all to see - So that the paying public can judge for themselves.

One last point on the unissued material - I thought it was a good idea to document the 45s as both testament to the labels themselves and the sheer quality of what is out there and we've not even touched the vast amount of material available on CD - So for the record OFO could well win out for those nights / Dj's and the paying public that wish to pursue and enjoy nights of quality soul music.

Rich

(BTW - No death threats as yet!)

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

It's a tricky one. But a journey of a thousand miles... single step and all that!

Just feel that the scene seems to have gone from new tunes breaking every weekend to 3 or 4 every 5-10 years, and that can't possibly be healthy.... but hey, I guess that's the choice of the paying public.

Frankly, I think you're right. It's gonna be nighon impossible to attract the younger generation in great numbers - but I'm more interested in retaining and entertaining the generation we've already got!

I'm with Simon M and his advice... 'If you've got fresh tunes hammer 'em...' and I'm sure, like many of us, you have a repository of real Soul records that would 'go'... if the criteria on the 'Northern Scene' was allowed, once more, to be much more than 'rarity' first.

Of more importance to me is a home for the decent Soul Music that's not getting aired - disqualified because it's on the wrong or unacceptable 'format' or excluded and vilified because it's not (yet) 'rare'.

Maybe the 'Northern Scene' (Progressive or Otherwise) is not the place, anymore, for fresh material?

Maybe the 'Third Way' (as Plumby calls it) practiced over the years at such haunts as Pitches in Rotherham, the Munsters in Brum and more recently the Orwell in Wigan (not a complete list) is the rightful place for fresher Soul music (or the chance to hear something different)?

Most of the 'Crossover' type venues seem to have no problem embracing the more contemporary or less formulaic, as long as it 'sounds' right. Perhaps that audience is more receptive to the Music itself for its own sake and where fresh stuff will always gain a better reception?

But, I honestly felt that after too many years of fragmentation, there were some signs of convergence.

After all, we've seen Soul Sam getting behind Joi Cardwell "Let It Go" (Soulful House... on the 'Northern' scene?).

We've seen Pete Smith making recommendations on here for Anthoney Wright's new offering (not a tune that's been fully accepted by the 'Modern' crowd... but you get my drift?).

We've witnessed hardcore 'Northern' folk getting in a lather over Amy Winehouse and Duffy... probably because it was something 'new' to listen to.

Or maybe we are unsure.gif

I guess DJ's tend to fall under the following categories - and that affects how they approach the choice of music in their play lists.

There are other permutations, but these tend to be the ones I normally encounter. I'd certainly rather go to a gig where the lineup includes the former categories, because I'm more likely to hear high quality music delivered in an entertaining manner, than be exposed to either the tedious 'same old same old' or have DJ's try to bedazzle or impress me with the collectors items on show.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that we've moved a long way from the initial thinking.

Maybe 'original format' / "OF" is perfectly acceptable to the majority of people (OVO reminds me too much of 'Whites Only' and Pointy Hats!) because it makes it clear that we are open minded to newly available material but against the encouragement of illegal pressings and bootlegging - but as Rod said, in some cases that genie is out of the bottle and for the Village Hall 'do' or the 'bit of Northern' at a wedding there's little any of us should be too concerned about.

From the various messages and replies I've seen I'm pretty sure that most people take the common sense view.

Cheers

Sean

Just a few personal thoughts here about what yourself Sean and others have touched upon. The OFO route in my opinion has a lot of mileage in it.

I don't deny I am an 'oldies' devotee myself. I hear what Steve G says about getting into the scene cos it was underground,cool bucked the trend etc but a common denominator for the majority back in 1970-on was the uplifting sound of soul music later called northern.

Now that has never left me and I am sure many many many others. However I too get sick of hearing the top 500(for want of a better phrase--- never liked that description!). I have been to a few 'upfront' venues and heard the rarer side currently. Now this is the crux its only the odd few that float my boat.

I have heard one or two other folks say the same. To others these rarer sides are outstanding and mindblowing----and I think to myself--am I too old and fooking boring, I'm almost quite jealous of these people that are getting these orgasmic feelings over tunes. You see I know how they feel yes.gif and I am sure you do and many others when we heard our oldies for the first time, and I want it again!!! I can't force myself to like a tune--nobody can.

Now then, all that said maybe I'm not at'fault' maybe just maybe I just aint heard it all yet(you know what I mean). This is where the playing of the aforementioned OFO stuff could again satisfy that need for uplifting soul music I mentioned earlier. There seems to be an enormous amount out there that isn't played because of the scene 'etiquette'

Granted yes it was predominantly OVO back in the day, but there was no competition for listening media----but If we are to proclaim ourselves progressive then surely now is the time to progress the format we play our music out.

Myself personally would not want to be denied the chance of hearing a potentially new 'orgasmic' sound because everywhere I went I would be restricted to OVO .

For collectors yes lads/lassies its the only way ,always has been --but dj's maybe have got to seperate themselves from soul protocol and open up some new sounds for us dinosaurs yes.gif

Jez

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well what about DJ's like me who don't know if all records i play are original. I know i have played some but surely i have records that someone would say it ain't original so you don't count.

Casino classics and so on yes re-issued and i do try and not play them. I am more for buying original if i can cause it's what i want and like. my rarest record although it's an LP is Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson.

maybe i would post my setlist i did when i djed last year and should add the record label next to it so people know if it's original or not but how do you tell from a record label. Motown records were re-released so adding motown next to song could be a re-release but i played many of mine from soul label like Jimmy Ruffin

Social source share

Well what about DJ's like me who don't know if all records i play are original. I know i have played some but surely i have records that someone would say it ain't original so you don't count.

Casino classics and so on yes re-issued and i do try and not play them. I am more for buying original if i can cause it's what i want and like. my rarest record although it's an LP is Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson.

maybe i would post my setlist i did when i djed last year and should add the record label next to it so people know if it's original or not but how do you tell from a record label. Motown records were re-released so adding motown next to song could be a re-release but i played many of mine from soul label like Jimmy Ruffin

Hiya mate, just a tad confused here. Do you mean Casino classics as in label or 'type' of record' :( Anyway motown/tamla/soul and the like can be a bit of a mine field mate but am sure some kind folks on here with the'knowledge' can put yer right in that area :thumbup:

I think yer pretty safe with the LP mate----Brunswick i recall. there's a version of Open the door to your heart on this isn't there :P

Social source share

Cheers

Sean

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Granted yes it was predominantly OVO back in the day, but there was no competition for listening media----but If we are to proclaim ourselves progressive then surely now is the time to progress the format we play our music out.

Myself personally would not want to be denied the chance of hearing a potentially new 'orgasmic' sound because everywhere I went I would be restricted to OVO .

Jez

Those two sentences up the situation exactly as I see it, Jez.

And I'm sure they relate to 95% of the 'listening' public.

Brilliant mate!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Or maybe we are :wicked:

Cheers

Sean

I agree with everythig SEAN has said I think the fragmentation of the scene should be viewed as an opportunity for new stuff to be aired regardless of the genre!The whole idea of starting the deep.sweet,crossover and sixties soul threads on the Media section were to just try and open peoples minds to the possibilities the music has to offer! Its certainly moved me on to other stuff including hard funk which ive even started collecting!

Good points raised here how will we ensure that the music will get the audience it deserves if we have that insesstant infatuation with rarity [wake up folks alot of rare northern is shite]would not give it house space among a collection that cherishes Womack,Ruffin,Dells,Millie Jackson etc.

This debate has opened up the possibilities along with Richies thread also,get o the media section with an open mind you might be shocked if you have not checked out some of the stuff posted.

BAZ A :shades:

Social source share

I agree Brett this is the best response Ive ever read on here,Sean has put into context alot of what alot of people are thinking :wicked:

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Mr atkinsons and Mr hampseys posts make or should make, perfect sense to every soulie dj collector or promoter who is really interested in seeing the soul scene flourish instead of disapearing up its own arse.

Social source share

hi i was getting flak off others for saying i dont worry about the format if its good to dance to.... play it.! and was told to look on here and get shouted down by vinyl only junkies but having read 24 pages of comments i am pleaseantly suprised to find openminded djs who arent afraid to play to the crowd.. so please play it anyway it comes, i am just a soulfan who likes to dance.. my vinyl went years ago and can only afford cds really but with 200 cds now i have tunes i would only have been able to dream of owning back then.. ive been souling since 1981-82. so not a total newcomer.. thanks, just a dancer.

Social source share

hi i was getting flak off others for saying i dont worry about the format if its good to dance to.... play it.! and was told to look on here and get shouted down by vinyl only junkies but having read 24 pages of comments i am pleaseantly suprised to find openminded djs who arent afraid to play to the crowd.. so please play it anyway it comes, i am just a soulfan who likes to dance.. my vinyl went years ago and can only afford cds really but with 200 cds now i have tunes i would only have been able to dream of owning back then.. ive been souling since 1981-82. so not a total newcomer.. thanks, just a dancer.

Not certain you read the same 24 pages i did, but yeah agreed play it on any format as long as that was it's original birth. (i.e...i have Vise on Chocolate Mama 1st release not the re-issue.........etc, etc)

Brett F

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Not certain you read the same 24 pages i did, but yeah agreed play it on any format as long as that was it's original birth. (i.e...i have Vise on Chocolate Mama 1st release not the re-issue.........etc, etc)

Brett F

I saw you play that Brett , and your copy is without an address !! :lol::)

Social source share

I saw you play that Brett , and your copy is without an address !! :lol::)

Boy are you Gonna' get one next time you dare set foot in the North of England. Just for you Simon..........from Pat Brady, you wanna' tell him it's a second issue.. :)

:wave:

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!