O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Ha Joan. P1 Post 1.....a list of venues that play OVO.

My next challenge might be to list those that play interesting stuff versus boring stuff...but that would be just tooooooooo subjective :whistling:and would lead to all manner of punch ups - so may just stay with OV v CR&P

In that case you've missed off DDA :huh:

Social source share

Ha Joan. P1 Post 1.....a list of venues that play OVO.

My next challenge might be to list those that play interesting stuff versus boring stuff...but that would be just tooooooooo subjective :huh: and would lead to all manner of punch ups - so may just stay with OV v CR&P

hi steve, you can add... earl of doncaster & thorne to your list of o.v.o. venues, when are you going to be compiling the list of c.r.a.p. venues ?

Social source share

hi steve, you can add... earl of doncaster & thorne to your list of o.v.o. venues, when are you going to be compiling the list of c.r.a.p. venues ?

He He, i'm looking forward to that one also! :huh:

Simon

Social source share

What does the 'soulman1964' stand for? The year your grandad was born?

pissin myself laughing at that one, a right ball splitter,.......if you care to go back & read this thread properly, you will see that our good friend beeks has admitted that he played boots at his pub do's, so if were going to make a list of O.V.O. venues & C.R.A.P. venues, which was the original purpose of this thread, then i think you'll find that my post was relevant

Social source share

ok rachel, fair do's.....however, i dont think the post that rattled soul sorts cage was off topic , we are here to compile 2 lists are we not ?

We are talking about NS venues though, which our currently suspended member didn't say his nights were. It did read like yet another personal dig as well.

Social source share

I doubt any of the DJ's he mentioned have DJ'ed at any scooter rally Beeks has attended, have they been to any scooter rallies :rolleyes: I still doubt he's heard them DJ.

Nail on head chalky,relative newcomer to the scene,how he can have a go at o'conner is beyond me,what he doesnt seem to realise is that the tunes he loves where discovered by people like Andy,Butch,Sam,Brownie,Dean,Guy,Marriot,Koppel,Anderson,manship,Jim Wensiora,Dave withers,Rod Shard and many more like yourself and i who play soul .The guys a tit

Salmon

Social source share

Nail on head chalky,relative newcomer to the scene,how he can have a go at o'conner is beyond me,what he doesnt seem to realise is that the tunes he loves where discovered by people like Andy,Butch,Sam,Brownie,Dean,Guy,Marriot,Koppel,Anderson,manship,Jim Wensiora,Dave withers,Rod Shard and many more like yourself and i who play soul .The guys a tit

Salmon

careful...everytime i say something about him i get my legs slapped & my posts removed

Social source share

careful...everytime i say something about him i get my legs slapped & my posts removed

If you've got any comments about how the forum is moderated, go and post in the Feedback section.

No problems with people discussing posts that have been made about the thread topic, but when a member has been suspended for making personal digs and off-topic posts, then that might be a clue not to do the same.

Social source share

Across the Board events which don't play bootlegs but play music on any other format

Orwell Wigan

3 Greyhounds

The Greatstone

Soul Essence

Congrats Steve, your thread is giving Mr Levine a run for his money in views, replies (& spats!)

Cheers

Steve

btw If we're listing OVO 'Northern' bedrooms, can I be added? I don't think it's fair to single out Mark Bicknell :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Social source share

Congrats Steve, your thread is giving Mr Levine a run for his money in views, replies (& spats!)

Cheers

Steve

btw If we're listing OVO 'Northern' bedrooms, can I be added? I don't think it's fair to single out Mark Bicknell :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

And surely hes been allowed out of his bedroom now :lol: Also Steve Gee can you update the first post with venues , as its more usefull then ,

TIA

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Cheers

Steve

...Isn't that a CD Detector van outside your house, Steve???

Quick, hide the CD player.

:lol:

Paul

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

btw If we're listing OVO 'Northern' bedrooms, can I be added? I don't think it's fair to single out Mark Bicknell :):lol::yes:

Not sure it would qualify, Simon.

How far North is it.... in relation to Watford?

:rolleyes:

Sorry Steve, I thought I was replying to Simon - who is clearly not a Northerner!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Its really not rocket science, and I think most people agree with Rod/Pete, given the amount of local soul nights, I really cant be assed arguing the toss about what is played at these. The one thing I do disagree with though, is if you do care its not hard to pick out the places, and more importantly the DJ's who do it the right way, and support them and let the rest of the many soul scenes get on with their life in their own little bubble.

Okay, take a breath and finish the Gin. Gnight

PS *** The soul police phrase is now used about a million times a day on here, generally by knobheads, IMVHO, but often by people who should know better, its generally directed at people who care and who believe in quality control, good on them, wear the badge with pride, I would. This must be the only scene where people try and ridicule those who care about its quality.

I'm only 5 pages in to this thread so far but, Nicely put Jocko!

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I play 'Southern' in my Northern bedroom?............but that's usually from CD :lol:

Hope Mr Mooney's CD detector van can distinguish between the two? :)

Cheers

Steve

I play me SOCK :rolleyes:

Sean

If its on the North side of your house it Northern :rolleyes:

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

Fair do's sorry been busy today, and had to deal with a couple of aggressive loons over on the 9/11 thread. :lol:

Social source share

Yes will update when I get a chance. BTW I have never seen your avatar on film :rolleyes: Is that an original issue or a budget reissue of D.does.D? :) I notice it is on DVD so I can only conclude a REISSUE :rolleyes:

No one is coming forward on the CR&P venues, and why would they? And no one else is prepared to name them. So maybe it'll just end up being a list of OV venues with the caveats.

Cheers

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Ladies & Gentlemen - Weekend is looming large - 14 pages of bo**ox - oops I mean lively debate. What conclusions have we reached? Where are we all going Friday & Saturday?

Is it OVO or CR&P ? Does It matter? Enjoy whatever you do - THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT ISN'T IT???????

Social source share

You keep telling me you don't like northern Simon and slagging off that Mamsy Hampsey stuff. Or is it Sean Hampsey stuff :):rolleyes:

Im more or less with John Anderson on this ..as I do like a fair bit of Soul that has fallen into the Northern genre

As for Mamsey Pamsey thats like nails down a blackboard for me . sorry Chrissie :rolleyes:

ps. as for Sean Hamsey he has almost perfect taste in Soul music !! and did rock the Sheff's Qube indeed !

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

This is my "Two Penneth"........ i think it's basically up to the individual, i believe it should be original vinyl 45 or original Album tracks ( plenty of great stuff on LP's, i always take a selection with me) plus any previously unreleased material that has had a legitimate vinyl release (example, Anita Robbins on Grapevine 2000 or Tommy Tate on the Japanese Malaco LP) and if it came out first on CD (ie. mainly with the modern crowd) then i'd allow that to.

But i have played at venues where folks have played 2nd issue things (not allowed in my book).

Anyway to hell with it all..........Did i mention that i think there should be more violence at.............. :rolleyes:

Brett

Social source share

This is my "Two Penneth"........ i think it's basically up to the individual, i believe it should be original vinyl 45 or original Album tracks ( plenty of great stuff on LP's, i always take a selection with me) plus any previously unreleased material that has had a legitimate vinyl release (example, Anita Robbins on Grapevine 2000 or Tommy Tate on the Japanese Malaco LP) and if it came out first on CD (ie. mainly with the modern crowd) then i'd allow that to.

But i have played at venues where folks have played 2nd issue things (not allowed in my book).

Anyway to hell with it all..........Did i mention that i think there should be more violence at.............. :rolleyes:

Brett

Good summary Brett.

Agreed (except for the last bit :rolleyes: ).

What happened to you last weekend? I was half waiting for the call?

Sean

Social source share

South East

Letchworth Irish centre

Soul@Hitchinfc - Hitchin

South Essex Soul Club - Capones

West Mids

DOuble Deckers

Good times

Mids / East Anglia

Attic Club

Bentinck (Back Room)

Select Soul Burton

Willington

Creative Soul @ Silks Wellingborough

East Lincoln Soul Club

Cream Cracker

North / North West

the Junction Middleton jn

Bradford morley carr wmc

York Soul Club

DDA Room Lowton

Mark Bicknell's front room :rolleyes:

Scotland

Basics Edinburgh

Spiders Web Edinburgh

Soul in the City Dundee

Real Deal Aberdeen

Black Trackin' Glasgow

South West

Soul Nights at Bridgwater Somerset

The SOul Side @ The Loft Bar, Bournemouth Uni

Go Go Children Bristol

And allnighters I can pretty certainly say based on the DJ line up

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Hitsville events

Across the Board events which don't play bootlegs but play music on any other format

Orwell Wigan

3 Greyhounds

The Greatstone

Soul Essence

Have I missed anyone :rolleyes:

only one minor ammendment steve we dont have a CD player at the Greatstone. :)

if we did would have to hide it in dec anyway as it would give Sam a heart attack

mark

Social source share

Good summary Brett.

Agreed (except for the last bit :rolleyes: ).

What happened to you last weekend? I was half waiting for the call?

Sean

Hi mate, didn't really want to mess you around, was hoping Steve M might have fancied it, but he was away with work, nevermind, hope it was a good night.

Brett :rolleyes:

Social source share

]

only one minor ammendment steve we dont have a CD player at the Greatstone. :rolleyes:

if we did would have to hide it in dec anyway as it would give Sam a heart attack

mark

Yes Mark, but the Greatstone has a Edison Cylinder Phonograph, i believe it was manufactured around the time Stevie Z had his milk teeth arrive. :rolleyes:

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Yes will update when I get a chance. BTW I have never seen your avatar on film :rolleyes: Is that an original issue or a budget reissue of D.does.D? :) I notice it is on DVD so I can only conclude a REISSUE :rolleyes:

No one is coming forward on the CR&P venues, and why would they? And no one else is prepared to name them. So maybe it'll just end up being a list of OV venues with the caveats.

Cheers

its a reissue steve, i wore the original out, unlike mr bicknell, i dont have a record player in my bedroom, so, you can add my northern bedroom to the list of C.R.A.P. venues

Social source share

Ladies & Gentlemen - Weekend is looming large - 14 pages of bo**ox - oops I mean lively debate. What conclusions have we reached? Where are we all going Friday & Saturday?

Is it OVO or CR&P ? Does It matter? Enjoy whatever you do - THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT ISN'T IT???????

Viva Espania.......................OVO.........original soul people too............soul, sangria & sun & like mided people who 'get it'.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

South East

Letchworth Irish centre

Soul@Hitchinfc - Hitchin

South Essex Soul Club - Capones

West Mids

DOuble Deckers

Good times

Mids / East Anglia

Attic Club

Bentinck (Back Room)

Select Soul Burton

Willington

Creative Soul @ Silks Wellingborough

East Lincoln Soul Club

Cream Cracker

North / North West

the Junction Middleton jn

Bradford morley carr wmc

York Soul Club

DDA Room Lowton

Mark Bicknell's front room :thumbsup:

Scotland

Basics Edinburgh

Spiders Web Edinburgh

Soul in the City Dundee

Real Deal Aberdeen

Black Trackin' Glasgow

South West

Soul Nights at Bridgwater Somerset

The SOul Side @ The Loft Bar, Bournemouth Uni

Go Go Children Bristol

And allnighters I can pretty certainly say based on the DJ line up

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Hitsville events

Orwell Wigan

3 Greyhounds

The Greatstone

Soul Essence

Have I missed anyone :D

yes you have missed a few but im pretty sure you know that, but thank god for you and jocko as we now know the elite clubs and djs so the rest of us who dont meet your soulfull buddies list can all pack it in.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

As for Mamsey Pamsey thats like nails down a blackboard for me . sorry Chrissie :D

It's not your fault you've got no taste, do you even know what it is :thumbsup: and the top 100 wasn't decided by me it was contribution of lots of other SS members so they all must be wrong.......................I still reckon it's cos I din't put Donna Summer isn't in there :D

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

yes you have missed a few but im pretty sure you know that, but thank god for you and jocko as we now know the elite clubs and djs so the rest of us who dont meet your soulfull buddies list can all pack it in.

I dont mind getting shouted at for what I say, which sometimes is understandable, but on this thread it seems to be acceptable to have a go at what I haven't said, and make up the rest.

Do want to expand further on WTF you are talking about or are you going to do yor usual one liner and flounce off

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!