Ian Dewhirst

• Replies 99
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Spent many a happy evening cutting a rug to GNTS at my local youthclub as a spotty 13 year old. I still like it today.

Catchy tune can't deny it. I've got it. Though because of when it was recorded and it's whiteness, is suffers imo of what james trouble was calling 'baggy northern' the other day?

Social source share

Catchy tune can't deny it. I've got it. Though because of when it was recorded and it's whiteness, is suffers imo of what james trouble was calling 'baggy northern' the other day?

Original UK 1974 Pye 7N.45383 blue label copies of the disc - Nosmo " Goodbye (Nothing To Say) " / " Teenage Love " - were recalled by Pye shortly after the disc had received favourable reception after plays , and relaunched as Nosmo King & The Javells ......

Original copies of the disc are now a rarity ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Original UK 1974 Pye 7N.45383 blue label copies of the disc - Nosmo " Goodbye (Nothing To Say) " / " Teenage Love " - were recalled by Pye shortly after the disc had received favourable reception after plays , and relaunched as Nosmo King & The Javells ......

Malc Burton

Didn't know it was released on blue Pye.Thought the 1st issue was just "Goodbye" on the Red & Purple format.

Paul

Social source share

Hello,

Can anyone remember if a DJ "discovered" it or did Pye A&R man Dave McAleer just guess that it would catch on?

I was just fifteen at the time but I remember it fooled everyone. It was instant.

And do I also recall that Dave Godin was impressed with it at the time?

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Malc Burton

:yes:

No Blue Labels Malc... not in the UK anyway.

The Irish' issue would have been Blue, at the time, if there ever was such a release (but I don't recall ever seeing one).

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Going back to "Goodbye" in the early days of Disco demand, didn't dave Macaleer find the track on the b side of Teenage love, realise that it had potential and sent out emidiscs or promos claiming it was an American Black group called the Javells. I'm sure that copies were sent to various DJs plus Dave Godin, who liked it, but when the "con" was discovered was a bit pissed off although still liked the track. As I said before, I didn't like it and I thought at the time it smelled fishy ohmy.gif . I felt very smug when the con was exposed. Funnily I quite like it now.

Paul

Social source share

Good point. It was a 'claimed' record as the original Nosmo King came and went on original release without a ripple. I think Dave Macaleer may have had something to do with it and maybe passed it to Levine and Russ - one of 'em effectively covered it as the Javells I think......

dave macleer said he found this by simply playing through back catalogue at pye, trying to find northern soul-alikes

ian are you saying levine played this? i dont remember this at all from the mecca, say it wasnt so :lol:

Social source share

dave macleer said he found this by simply playing through back catalogue at pye, trying to find northern soul-alikes

ian are you saying levine played this? i dont remember this at all from the mecca, say it wasnt so :lol:

Yep, a biggy @ The Mecca as well I'm pretty sure. I'm sure IL will concurr. It may have been a first-play there as I'm sure Dave Macaleer and IL were tight back then plus IL did the 'Solid Soul Sensations' Pye album for Pye, so there was definitely a conduit of some type..........

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

I'm sure it was a Mecca play first.

Played it tonight for the first time in decades.

Sounds good even now, despite what the detractors might say.

Yep, a biggy @ The Mecca as well I'm pretty sure. I'm sure IL will concurr. It may have been a first-play there as I'm sure Dave Macaleer and IL were tight back then plus IL did the 'Solid Soul Sensations' Pye album for Pye, so there was definitely a conduit of some type..........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest thenogger

NOSMO KING, YUK what an absolutely bloody awful record. The worst I have heard, it would have been better as an INSTUMENTAL. His voice was the PITS, yet the backing track was ok.

thenogger

Social source share

Maxine Nightingale was recorded AFTER Nosmo King - that's unless he incorporates clairvoyancy into his act. :wicked:

Was`nt there some sort of out of court settlement for the backing Track being pinched from GBNT, `i,m struggling to remember!!!!!!

Social source share

Senior moment : why the hell I put blue labels I do not know - I should - and do know - better .........

I stand - in the corner - very much corrected .......

Malc Burton

Can I come out - of the corner that is - now ? Am I forgiven for my faux pas ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yes Malc,

You are a Senior Soul Scene Citizen.

You can do no wrong.

(us young uns will have really no idea what effect all those tablets and treatments must have on ya!)

:lol:

Sean

You have no idea :D .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

No mate. Luckily I can tell the difference between a Swedish boiler and a secretary from Mitcham. :lol:

Come to think of it, closer than you may think........

Ian D biggrin.gif

I'm glad you cleared that up because in ABBA the "one on the right" was a bloke with a beard. And he looked quite butch.

:D

Paul

Social source share

Well obviously it's highly embarrassing to not be able to recall the label colour of a Nosmo King record Malc, but we build in a bit of leeway for our senior citizens luckily. :lol:

Ian D biggrin.gif

My sincerest thanks ........

You young folks are the salt of the earth : bless you all.........

My testicle dropping has achieved further amusement , as I have had numerous text messages from well - wishers , and a phone call , asking me " is Nosmo there ? " , when I answered :D ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

or was it steve jamerson

One last inclusion from me on the Steve Jamieson / Nosmo King discussion .......

SJ was not the only one to use the pseudonym of NK , and if I recall correctly , he cited the career of the gentleman named below , had an " influence " on him , hence using the name ......

H. Vernon Watson (1886-1949) , better known as his character Nosmo King, was a popular English variety artist . He was touring the music halls before World War I , but he remained relatively obscure until the 1920s , when he shot to fame as Nosmo King .

When are we moving on to Vince Edwards ? ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

===============

this was issued in the US on a PYE DEMO.....same as Wayne Gibson

not in vogue but still its most desirable format as collecting goes...

...and here's one I desired to collect earlier:

...I will forever maintain that, had this been discovered in the 'normal' run of things, rather than being the 'victim' of record company duplicity, it would be regarded as one of the all-time best British Northern finds. It's a really great record...

Social source share

...and here's one I desired to collect earlier:

...I will forever maintain that, had this been discovered in the 'normal' run of things, rather than being the 'victim' of record company duplicity, it would be regarded as one of the all-time best British Northern finds. It's a really great record...

========

FOR ONCE TONY I AGREE WITH YOU!!!

Social source share

...Micky Moonshine!

...No it's Steve 'Nosmo' Jameson really...

tony i found this bit of info on a website,

North country group Truth covered the Beatles¢Å¾¢ "¹í…"Girl¢Å¾¢ for a Top 30 hit; singer Steve Jameson charted again in 1974 as Nosmo King with the northern soul pastiche "¹í…"Goodbye Nothing To Say¢Å¾¢, but that¢Å¾¢s another story. Petula Clark, like Helen Shapiro a former child star, got with it and recorded John and Paul¢Å¾¢s "¹í…"I Want To Hold Your Hand¢Å¾¢, while actress Anita Harris of Carry On Doctor fame) got in on the act too with "¹í…"Here There And Everywhere¢Å¾¢.

heres the link just scroll down to find the above bit of info, ph34r.gif

https://www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk/titlev4....&LABEL_ID=7

Social source share

this is the french pic cover of "goodbye",who is the man ???? unsure.gifph34r.gif ,

That man is Steve " Sol Bernstein " Jamieson .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1221410969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

also found out this info on the band the truth, ph34r.gif

The Truth

Frank Aiello

Steve Gold

The Truth were a British duo from London who took their name from a Ray Charles song, "Tell The Truth". They recorded for Larry Page and their recordings were issued on Pye then Deram and finally Decca. They were not a song writing unit and their singles were cover versions of songs by Donovan, The Kinks, The Left Banke and The Beatles. They stopped recording in 1968.

Steve Gold later legally changed his name to Steve Jameson and re-emerged in 1974 with a top 40 hit "Goodbye, Nothing To Say" under the name Nosmo King And The Javells. He has more recently turned to comedy and performs under the pseudonym Sol Bernstein.

'Girl' / 'Jailer Bring Me Water' PYE (1966) UK Chart position #27. Ghoulz (2006)

top marks mr rounce, rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Social source share

Is this the same guy, on the right, Malc?

Dangnabbit , Cappytain - it is Steve " Nosmo " Jamieson ! .........

So SJ's Sol Bernstein personna is based on Eddie Murphy's " Coming To America " character , Saul .......

Over to you , Eddie ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Steve 'Nosmo' Jameson was also previously a member of 60s beat group St. Louis Union, who had a minor hit on Decca with a cover of the Beatles song, "Girl" (which had a decent version of "Respect" on the other side. Wonder why his interview neglected to mention that?

Tony, I think you are getting confused with the 'The Truth' who also covered Girl. Here's some info I found on the web.

sorry duplicated some info from earlier!

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, I think you are getting confused with the 'The Truth' who also covered Girl. Here's some info I found on the web.

sorry duplicated some info from earlier!

Yes, I happily stand corrected - although I have a pic of SLU from the time, and there's a bloke in there who is a dead ringer for Nosmo!

At least I knew he was in a group in the 60s, surely I get a point for that! laugh.gif

And what I said about the SLU version of "Respect" is still true, too...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Going back to "Goodbye" in the early days of Disco demand, didn't dave Macaleer find the track on the b side of Teenage love, realise that it had potential and sent out emidiscs or promos claiming it was an American Black group called the Javells. I'm sure that copies were sent to various DJs plus Dave Godin, who liked it, but when the "con" was discovered was a bit pissed off although still liked the track...

Paul

This is pretty much what happened - not sure if it was Dave Godin or Frank Elson though. In effect, MacAleer sent out emidiscs to prominent DJ's saying something to the effect of "...we may be able to release this, if we can get the UK rights to it.. etc. etc." knowing all the time that it was a UK Pye recording.

This con, along with the "Footsie" debacle, caused a huge controversy at the time, and soured the good relationship with the Northern scene that Pye records had been building around the 'Disco Demand' series. Godin laid into Pye big time for abusing the Northern punters' trust and so blatantly exploiting the goodwill of the scene.

To me, it's a OK pop record that wouldn't sound out of place in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

So Nosmo King... is really Eddie Murphy?

Pos'ble Musky , pos'ble ............

I am in the early stages of planning an event for late spring of 2009 , which will feature a well known name act , but in respect of all the renewed interest in Nosmo King / " Goodbye Nothing To Say " . I may forsake them and seek to relaunch the career of NK and The Javells ........

Oy Vay !!

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert