soulfulsaint

• Replies 38
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

Little Johnny Taylor, Little Richard, Little Sonny, Little Hank, Little Milton, Little Lisa (of "Hang On Bill' fame), Little Joe Cook, Little Eva... er, and Hattie Littles :)

Big Al Downing, Big John Hamilton...

Social source share

Not forgetting the great Wee Willie Walker.

Is it true that Lil' Major Williams, like Little Eddie Taylor, was a person of restricted growth?

Haven't heard that Gareth but a female singer that has always intrigued me is Little Sammy Bryant, who defiintely was of restricted growth and was a victim of dwarfism. She sang in the Rev CL Franklin's Gospel Caravan out of Detroit on the same bill as Aretha and Erma Franklin, and Sharon Scott. Any Detroit buffs with any info on Little Sammy can they PM me.

Social source share

So many soul singers branded themselves by their height or weight. What is not clear is who wins - liitle or large?

To get us started there's Little Stevie Wonder and Lil Major Williams, but can they hack it next to Big Maybelle?

Let's have those names please - little or large?

Little Anthony, of course.

Little Stanley, Little Richie, Little Hank.

Little Beaver (oh really!)

Little Rose Little - so good they named her twice.

Big Frank ( and the Essences)

Big Ella

Social source share

Little Anthony, of course.

Little Stanley, Little Richie, Little Hank.

Little Beaver (oh really!)

Little Rose Little - so good they named her twice.

Big Frank ( and the Essences)

Big Ella

Big Joe Turner .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

So many soul singers branded themselves by their height or weight. What is not clear is who wins - liitle or large?

To get us started there's Little Stevie Wonder and Lil Major Williams, but can they hack it next to Big Maybelle?

Let's have those names please - little or large?

chubbychecker little carl carlton

Edited by rhino
Social source share

I know I had a late night/early morning and I have never claimed to be intelligent biggrin.gif ,

I have just read my own post above and have just noticed the name of the last track I played on the refro.

So can I add Little Royal

and just for completeness Little Jimmy Gandy whose "I'm not like the others" on Roulette is the greatest.

Also to balance it up Big Don's Rebellion "It was true" great name and another good record if I remember.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Few of these are R & B but so are some of the others mentioned thus far - so here goes:

Fats Domino (fairly obvious one that!)

Lotsa Poppa (Tribe Records)

Mighty Doug Haynes (Dakar Records)

Millie Small ('My Boy Lollipop')

Little Anthony (& The Imperials)

Tall Paul Hankins

Skinny Dynamo (Aladdin Records)

Tubby Hayes (Ok so he's jazz, sue me)

Round Robin

Big Bob Kornegay

...and does Baby Washington count?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Do you know WHY he is called Chubby Checker?

...He wanted to call himself Fats Domino, only Fats got there first...

...Seriously, that's why he's called Chubby Checker. Someone at Cameo-Parkway thought he sounded and looked a bit like Fats, and anyway it's a catchier name than his real one, Ernie Evans...

Social source share

...Seriously, that's why he's called Chubby Checker. Someone at Cameo-Parkway thought he sounded and looked a bit like Fats, and anyway it's a catchier name than his real one, Ernie Evans...

ACTUALLY, he was a huge fan of Fats DOMINO so, as a tribute to him, he called himself Chubby (for Fats) CHECKER (for Domino). See what I mean? yes.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ACTUALLY, he was a huge fan of Fats DOMINO so, as a tribute to him, he called himself Chubby (for Fats) CHECKER (for Domino). See what I mean? yes.gif

Umm, isn't that what I just said, more or less (apart from that it was actually Dick Clark who deemed Ernie should be called CC, not Chubby...)?

Terrible echo in here! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Umm, isn't that what I just said, more or less (apart from that it was actually Dick Clark who deemed Ernie should be called CC, not Chubby...)?

Terrible echo in here! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Sorry, for some reason I felt it needed a more elaborate explanation. laugh.gif:D:D

No, I take that back, you wrote;

which is not the same thing at all.

Anyhow, I think my explanation sounds better. laugh.gif:D:(

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Whatever happened to Podgy Chess? That's what I want to know.

Social source share

John Bowie was known as Little John Bowie and was fecking huge? Recalling the Goldmine Philly CD comp notes from a hazy memory so could be wrong! :thumbsup:

Also with regard to Lil Gray mention on another thread, does the 'Lil' stand for 'Little' or 'Lillian/Lilith' ect ect??

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert