Boz Scaggs

ImberBoy

Boz Scaggs

Just surfin, like ya do, youtube is me fave. Typing in bits n pieces and jumping from one sound to another, what a fantastic medium the tinternet is!

Well today I have mostly been listening to the tracks I remember the older boys n girls dancing to at my local youth club and a track that got under my skin back then was Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs - What Can I Say (1976) , for some reason it reminds me a little of Candi Staton's "Young hearts run free"?

Well Boz Scaggs entered into our Northernsoul culture with a modern soul track I think it was Boz Scaggs - JoJo? I may now e-bay the album, I wonder if it's worth a listen.

I think this is the real cross over! Mega tracks even if I am mistaken with the Jo Jo one? Can any one help?

Both tracks are on the tube...... wadda ya think?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Boz Scaggs

Just surfin, like ya do, youtube is me fave. Typing in bits n pieces and jumping from one sound to another, what a fantastic medium the tinternet is!

Well today I have mostly been listening to the tracks I remember the older boys n girls dancing to at my local youth club and a track that got under my skin back then was Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs - What Can I Say (1976) , for some reason it reminds me a little of Candi Staton's "Young hearts run free"?

Well Boz Scaggs entered into our Northernsoul culture with a modern soul track I think it was Boz Scaggs - JoJo? I may now e-bay the album, I wonder if it's worth a listen.

I think this is the real cross over! Mega tracks even if I am mistaken with the Jo Jo one? Can any one help?

Both tracks are on the tube...... wadda ya think?

Boz Scaggs is a highly creditable singer : the problem with " WCIS " , is that it is remembered as a chart record , and could be a non - starter as a modern / crossover side ......

Check out his excellent version of Joe Simon's " Drowning In The Sea Of Love " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Malc, I'm 99.99999999999999999999% sure one of his tracks was played on the modurn scene? sad.gif

In fact i'd bet my left nut on it :P

It was , and it was debated here on SS quite a while back , but for the life of me , I cannot recall what the title was ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

His version of the Patti Labelle mini hit "You Make It So Hard To Say No".

Sean

Stop it with the double entendres , Mr H - it is not big , and it is not clever ...........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi, I have always liked Boz Scaggs especially his Silk Degree set which I think was his first, some absolutely top sounds on that including if I remember righty 'Lowdown', didn't he have something to do with Carly Simon's 'We're all alone' again another terrific record, not sure about a track being played on the modden scene but it wouldn't surprise me.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi, I have always liked Boz Scaggs especially his Silk Degree set which I think was his first, some absolutely top sounds on that including if I remember righty 'Lowdown', didn't he have something to do with Carly Simon's 'We're all alone' again another terrific record, not sure about a track being played on the modden scene but it wouldn't surprise me.

Regards

Alan

Bit of a blue eyed souler our 'Boz'. I already had a couple of singles by him and bought "Jo Jo" blind when it was new and was surprised to find it somewhat in the jazz/funk style. "Lowdown" was a great disco-soul-type-thing C.1976 I think... I believe "What Can I Say" appealed directly to UK Soul fans in the same way that Ace's "How Long" did. Valid pop-soul with a memorable hook. I like it.

Social source share

Boz Scaggs' soul credentials are pretty well established. His self-titled album on Atlantic was cut at Fame at the height of the studios powers and contains some of the high-water marks of blue-eyed Southern Soul in I'm Easy and I'll Be Long Gone.

The later records on Columbia are more obviously soft rock with a soulful slant in the mould of Hall & Oates etc. but contain a lot of perfectly-listenable tracks.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

What a coincidence. I was viewing Boz Scaggs clips on YouTube for probably an hour yesterday while killing time in the record store I work in. I really like him, especially the "Silk Degrees" and "Slow Dancer" albums, but his first (well, actually second) album on Atlantic which has been mentioned here is also great (check out George Freeman's deep soul version of "I'll Be Gone" on EPIC! Top stuff! :) ). The stuff Boz recorded and only released in Sweden back in the 60s (prior to joining Steve Miller Band) is decent as well.

I sometimes play "What Can I Say", "Lowdown", "Jojo" and "Hollywood" while out DJing. Superb music. And insanely well played and produced.

Here's one of my favourite tracks from "Silk Degrees": "Lido Shuffle" (again, a gigantic chart hit) delivered in a full-on high-energy live version:

(WARNING! NOT A SOUL TUNE! DON'T RIP ME APART...) :D:lol::P

"> Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

There's one of his that I particularly like, think it's 'We Were Always Sweethearts' - someone played it on Shaun Robbin's radio show a while back if that helps narrow it down... (sorry that's a bit vague, not quite awake this morning :lol:)

Social source share

Boz made many albums with great tracks on, if you like the 'what's going on' sound check 'here to stay' on 'boz scaggs and band' on CBS.

also recommend self-titled and my time on Atlantic (both recorded at muscle shoals), silk degrees, down two then left, slow dancer, moments, my time , middle man. i've heard and played Boz several times in modern rooms to a good reaction.

You can't beat a bit-a-Boz!

:lol:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Still have this album & play it occasionally....I have another which I've never played, bit slack, may have to dig it out & give it a listen.

KTF

Baz

Regards

Alan

Social source share

• 15 years later...

Just found this thread in case anyone had mentioned this Boz Scaggs similarity before. Surely he's nicked Billy Prophet to come up with Dinah Flo? Or is it just me?

I've forgotten how good this is

Edited by Daved
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/09/2008 at 18:54, Alan Pollard said:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, 'Silk Degrees' was something like his fifth album. I recall buying  'Slow Dancer' an album from 1974. A fine piece of blue-eyed soul produced by Johnny Bristol and arranged by H B Barnum. Here is a lovely Bristol penned ballad from'Slow Dancer'.

Social source share

Driving home one night from a Soul night at Mansfield, put the radio on. Johnnie Walker radio 2, decent music and chat. Although it wasn’t all soul music it was listenable, he was having guests in like Ady Croasdall and other soul linked figures.

On comes a track that had me interested. It was by Boz Skaggs and “King of El Paso”, and really appealed to me. He followed this up with a favourite Ray Charles “Unchain my heart”. Brilliant, they just flowed together.

it was from an album called ‘Dig’ from 2001. Check it out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!