steve

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can anyone shed any light on this lable, got a record on this lable by the Dynamics, but know nothing about it,

Many thanks in advance

Steve

SAME BOAT STEVE, MINES CALLED WOE IS ME. IT'S A BIT OF A MID TEMPO SHUFFLER. THINK THEY HAD SEVERAL OUTINGS ON THE LABLE IN THE 73 TO 76 PERIOD, GOT A FEW TITLES LISTED IN R&B CHART BOOK, ANYBODY ANY OTHER INFO.

BRI.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

There are 5 different Black Gold label designs to my knowledge.

One out of Memphis circa 1960-64 and then change of design from 1973 to 75, which has a Dynamic release on it. However the label design changes again but the numbering cointinues at #8, again a label change at #113 to a Black Gold design that is the same as my La Jay Alexander, but is listed under a previous design. I suspect the BLack Gold design with the pirates chest of gold, is a design used on the promo copies? ( I could be wrong but just sumising based on info and without having all the records in front of me).

Then there were 2 releases by Lou Pride on another design circa 1988. This must be a seperate label as the numbering starts at 113 which would make 3 different releases on 3 different labels (2 by the Dynamics and one by Lou Pride)

As far as my info goes its a Memphis label????? with the second design (1973/75) being distributed via Vigor out of New York. From Black Gold #8 they distributed by PIP thru to #113.

Stir that lot around and try to make sense of it. :D I Will try to label list later if anybody is interested :unsure:

Im off to lie down (or watch England, either way I'll end up with a headache :lol:

The Man In Black

Social source share

One out of Memphis circa 1960-64 and then change of design from 1973 to 75, which has a Dynamic release on it. However the label design changes again but the numbering cointinues at #8, again a label change at #113 to a Black Gold design that is the same as my La Jay Alexander, but is listed under a previous design. I suspect the BLack Gold design with the pirates chest of gold, is a design used on the promo copies? ( I could be wrong but just sumising based on info and without having all the records in front of me).

Then there were 2 releases by Lou Pride on another design circa 1988. This must be a seperate label as the numbering starts at 113 which would make 3 different releases on 3 different labels (2 by the Dynamics and one by Lou Pride)

As far as my info goes its a Memphis label????? with the second design (1973/75) being distributed via Vigor out of New York. From Black Gold #8 they distributed by PIP thru to #113.

Stir that lot around and try to make sense of it. :D I Will try to label list later if anybody is interested :unsure:

Im off to lie down (or watch England, either way I'll end up with a headache :lol:

The Man In Black

Very interesting indeed,i was utterly covinced this was a detroit logo!

BAZ A :lol:

Social source share

Baz

It might well be as my info is by no means gospel just whart i have to hand, i cant find my Dynamics x 2 on Black Gold or my Ronnis Shannon which might have some more definite info.

ENGLAND winning 1-0

Dave

Im pretty sure that it's a Detroit label, Ronnie Shannon was based in Dtroit wasnt he ??????????.

Russ

Social source share

SAME BOAT STEVE, MINES CALLED WOE IS ME. IT'S A BIT OF A MID TEMPO SHUFFLER. THINK THEY HAD SEVERAL OUTINGS ON THE LABLE IN THE 73 TO 76 PERIOD, GOT A FEW TITLES LISTED IN R&B CHART BOOK, ANYBOBY ANY OTHER INFO.

BRI.

Hi bri

yes not heard a lot about it, the one I got is 'shucks, i love you' which is a bit of a floater type i suppose, not sure if i'd ever play it out though

thank to everyone for the information. It's just a lable I haven't seen out before

Steve

Edited by steve
Social source share

I cant really believe I had never thought about the fact that some of this label comes from Detroit considering the DETRIOT bias on it.. :) Lack of info on the actual label is my excuse :yes:

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your never to old to learn

The Man In Black

i LEARN EVERYDAY ON HEE ITS FULL OF INCREDIBLE PEOPLE WITH GREAT KNOWLEDGE ,MY VIEW IS YOU ALWAYS LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY!!! wink.gif

BAZ A

Social source share

Stir that lot around and try to make sense of it. rolleyes.gifI Will try to label list later if anybody is interested :thumbsup:

The Man In Black

Hi Reforee

It would be great if you could put a list up

Thanks

Steve

Social source share

I used to play a cracking dancer off the Black Gold 'What A Shame' LP called "You'll Never Find A Man Like Me" by the Dynamics, back in the early 80's.

It should have been a monster... but never really took off!

What a shame!

rolleyes.gif

Sean

Hi Sean

There wasn't too much that didn't take off at this point in time was there - certainly not with my crew! Is this buried somewhere or can you put your hand on it and post a clip up? I'd be really interested to hear this - it doesn't ring any bells from the title - although it was a while ago!

Best

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I would hazard a guess the Memphis Black Gold & Detroit Black Gold are totally un-related. The memphis early / mid 60s was one which had a mix of country / R&B (See scan) and obviously a lot earlier. The other a division/dist. of NYC label (As Baz stated).

I'm guessing that there were quite a few 'Black Gold' labels across the states.

Obviously detroit connections on the 'treasure' design - Ronnie Shannon - Paul Riser - come up on song/production credits. Ronnie Shannon owned???? Below 3 label designs of the detroit connected label. I do have a discog. somewhere but not sure how complete it is. I'll look.

post-4363-1221221645.jpg

post-4363-1221221704.jpg

post-4363-1221221737.jpg

But not related to this one (Memphis)

post-4363-1221221765.jpg

Social source share

I would hazard a guess the Memphis Black Gold & Detroit Black Gold are totally un-related. The memphis early / mid 60s was one which had a mix of country / R&B (See scan) and obviously a lot earlier. The other a division/dist. of NYC label (As Baz stated).

I'm guessing that there were quite a few 'Black Gold' labels across the states.

Obviously detroit connections on the 'treasure' design - Ronnie Shannon - Paul Riser - come up on song/production credits. Ronnie Shannon owned???? Below 3 label designs of the detroit connected label. I do have a discog. somewhere but not sure how complete it is. I'll look.

post-4363-1221221645.jpg

post-4363-1221221704.jpg

post-4363-1221221737.jpg

But not related to this one (Memphis)

post-4363-1221221765.jpg

yep good reply as consise a s ever, hope your well mate,the memphis logo has some connection with Peachtree im sure of it will check all the trainspotter information I have lol.

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Hi Sean

There wasn't too much that didn't take off at this point in time was there - certainly not with my crew! Is this buried somewhere or can you put your hand on it and post a clip up? I'd be really interested to hear this - it doesn't ring any bells from the title - although it was a while ago!

Best

Peter

:ohmy:

Hi Peter,

It was actually quite a 'dated' sounding tune at the time.

You remember how it was back then: people mainly wanted truly 'modern' sounding records - 80's 'modern' rather than late 60's or early 70's type sounds.

I didn't think that it fitted the Clifton Hall or Cleethorpes Winter Gardens stuff I was playing at the time, so hardly used it there, but played it often in the main room at Bradford, along with the more 60's oriented things in my playlist such as The Quotations "I Don't Have To Worry" Don Gardner "We're Gonna Make It Big" etc.

I actually cut the LP down with a hot knife (as it was the penultimate track on one side of the album) and covered it up... as the DYNAMICS (in the same way as I did the 'Leon & The Whispers' "Gonna Love You More" cover up) :) .

Nobody knew who it was a the time! And I'd almost forgotten about it too, until this thread came up.

Anyway... here's a link, which looks as if it was posted previously by, top man, Roger.

Maybe someone can pull it into the thread for us cos I'm a bit dim on such matters. :yes:

Cheers mate,

:yes:

Sean

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...k-gold-bg5001-a

Social source share

Hi Peter,

It was actually quite a 'dated' sounding tune at the time.

You remember how it was back then: people mainly wanted truly 'modern' sounding records - 80's 'modern' rather than late 60's or early 70's type sounds.

I didn't think that it fitted the Clifton Hall or Cleethorpes Winter Gardens stuff I was playing at the time, so hardly used it there, but played it often in the main room at Bradford, along with the more 60's oriented things in my playlist such as The Quotations "I Don't Have To Worry" Don Gardner "We're Gonna Make It Big" etc.

I actually cut the LP down with a hot knife (as it was the penultimate track on one side of the album) and covered it up... as the DYNAMICS (in the same way as I did the 'Leon & The Whispers' "Gonna Love You More" cover up) :lol: .

Nobody knew who it was a the time! And I'd almost forgotten about it too, until this thread came up.

Anyway... here's a link, which looks as if it was posted previously by, top man, Roger.

Maybe someone can pull it into the thread for us cos I'm a bit dim on such matters. :lol:

Cheers mate,

:lol:

Sean

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...k-gold-bg5001-a

Thanks for the interesting reply Sean - or should we call you "Hot Knife Hampsey"! :lol:

I'll have a look at the link.

Peter

:shhh:

Social source share

Thanks for the interesting reply Sean - or should we call you "Hot Knife Hampsey"! :lol:

I'll have a look at the link.

Peter

:lol:

Just had a listen - certainly don't recall it from way back then. Has a lot going for it IMO - a good dancer with some nice breaks.

My preference back then was for new stuff - mainly modern, but I still liked my seventies and some of the quality "newer" sixties stuff. In fact my only non compliant approach was for the "Sixties Newies" mainly from Guy and Keb :lol: - never my cup of tea. Although this stuff came a little later in history.

Peter

:shhh:

Social source share

The logo was out of Detroit check out the Dynamics let me be your friend,good release by LJ Alexander also and a couple of lps by the Dynamics,the logo was owned by the pickwick group and distributed by PIP.

BAZ A :unsure:

"couple of LPs by the Dynamics" ???

Not correct Baz, one LP only by the Dynamics on the Black Gold label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert