Don Varner

Guest chorleybloke

Guest chorleybloke

Ey up everyone,

Having a yarn with Steve Handbury yesterday about (IMHO) the world's best record. Steve thought there's an elusive first issue prior to Quinvy - urban myth or true?

Anyone know owt about this?

Cheers...........Pete

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest chorleybloke

It's supposed to have been released on VEEP (#1296), but I don't think anyone has ever found a copy.

Oh yeah I recall that rumour now you mention it. A bit like the Honey Bees on Wand?

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Oh yeah I recall that rumour now you mention it. A bit like the Honey Bees on Wand?

Cheers

Pete

It would probably have been the second issue as the wand stuff would be like earl Harrison and the ivories

i think John Anderson swears the had the Veep Don varners and sold them to Japan and you have to beleive him as he did turn up the Ivories didnt he

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Ted, Pete

I've collected the Veep label off and on for more than 30 years and have never even sighted a copy of V-1296.

I had the same discussion with John Anderson regarding existence of this record and he told me that he had a box in the early 70's and sold them to Holland for the "Meet me in Church" side for 75p each - Holland or Japan there's a plausible deep link there.

My Veep discography shows V-1296 as "voided 12/18/68" - if JA did find a box that was probably the total vinyl run - but surely if that was the case the odd one to have surfaced over the last 30 years, especially considering popularity and value of "Tear Stained face" on Quinvy.

Also spoken with John Manship and Lew Stanley on this subject and neither of them has ever seen one nor do they know anyone who has one.

Another vinyl myth I'm afraid........................would love to be proven wrong though !

Best

John

It would probably have been the second issue as the wand stuff would be like earl Harrison and the ivories

i think John Anderson swears the had the Veep Don varners and sold them to Japan and you have to beleive him as he did turn up the Ivories didnt he

Social source share

I had the same discussion with John Anderson regarding existence of this record and he told me that he had a box in the early 70's and sold them to Holland for the "Meet me in Church" side for 75p each - Holland or Japan there's a plausible deep link there.

He once told me Holland too. It is certainly safe to assume that they aren't over here in Japan, as none of the collectors have it/them/have ever seen one either.

My copy came from Quin Ivy himself...and yes the version used on various Charly label releases is indeed off master tapes, stereo AND a different mix to the released 45 (check out the brass work!).

If y'all don't know it, I thoroughly recommend another track by him, on the South Camp label called, 'The sweetest story'...great Northern SOUL.

ph34r.gif

Social source share

There's also an absolutely brilliant previously unreleased track on one of the John Ridley-compiled Charly albums from the late 80s called When It's Over. Mid-to-uptempo and much more sophisticated in approach than Tear Stained Face. I've often thought this would be popular if spun at rare soul dances.

Social source share

There's also an absolutely brilliant previously unreleased track on one of the John Ridley-compiled Charly albums from the late 80s called When It's Over. Mid-to-uptempo and much more sophisticated in approach than Tear Stained Face. I've often thought this would be popular if spun at rare soul dances.

Agree.

What do you think of his, 'The sweetest story', Gareth?

ph34r.gif

Social source share

Agree.

What do you think of his, 'The sweetest story', Gareth?

ph34r.gif

A great record Dave: I've never seen it on the more usual South Camp logo (the Atlantic/Atco distributed one) only a white demo which looks quite different to anything else on the label. I can't remember where it fits into the chronology of Quinvy / South Camp stuff: later than the main bulk of releases I think. It can still be bought for around fifty quid and is good value at that I reckon.

I'd still love a copy of Tear Stained Face. Took me years to appreciate it fully but now I come to think of it aggro-soul gets no better.

Social source share

A great record Dave: I've never seen it on the more usual South Camp logo (the Atlantic/Atco distributed one) only a white demo which looks quite different to anything else on the label. I can't remember where it fits into the chronology of Quinvy / South Camp stuff: later than the main bulk of releases I think. It can still be bought for around fifty quid and is good value at that I reckon.

I'd still love a copy of Tear Stained Face. Took me years to appreciate it fully but now I come to think of it aggro-soul gets no better.

hi gareth

have you listened to the other side of tear stained face, mojo mama it is a really earthy northern track.

mark

Social source share

Guest veep1296

What a top track - that's got plenty of potential. But here's the daddy of em all...

Cheers......Pete

Ey up Pete,

See you in Mojacar next week!

Ref Veep 1296...... see Avatar been here for a good while!

Listed as voided as mentioned earlier.....not sure but think in Hot Buttered Soul? but stand to be corrected.

My daughter & i mocked this to take as a scan to Dave Greets 50th...had Eddie Hubbard, Butch & others scraping stubble!

We used the releases either side 1295post-5119-1221081651_thumb.jpg & 1297, one of which i think was Baby Washington "Think.." , the date stamp is off BW @ 1969 so it was going to be a reissue?

Anyone comment or correct ..???

Regards

David & Berry

post-5119-1221081651_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Ey up Pete,

See you in Mojacar next week!

Ref Veep 1296...... see Avatar been here for a good while!

Listed as voided as mentioned earlier.....not sure but think in Hot Buttered Soul? but stand to be corrected.

My daughter & i mocked this to take as a scan to Dave Greets 50th...had Eddie Hubbard, Butch & others scraping stubble!

We used the releases either side 1295post-5119-1221081651_thumb.jpg & 1297, one of which i think was Baby Washington "Think.." , the date stamp is off BW @ 1969 so it was going to be a reissue?

Anyone comment or correct ..???

Regards

David & Berry

post-5119-1221081651_thumb.jpg

Ey up Dave,

Yep looking forward to Mojacar & meeting all my virtual mates! Also a great opportunity to spin semi-knowns. Denny Johnson, also from Perth, will be in attendance too.

See you at Dave's place on Thursday night?

Cheers............Pete

Social source share

A great record Dave: I've never seen it on the more usual South Camp logo (the Atlantic/Atco distributed one) only a white demo which looks quite different to anything else on the label.

Here's a nice one...West Coast Monarch press.

I sold a stone-mint (probably unplayed!) spare copy for £50 recently.

Should go for double that imo...so good/fine pedigree/under played.

:P

post-9555-1221150439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert