Stafford Revival Tunes

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Been daydreaming about hearing some of the old classics again. But, as some are played most weekends at venues all over, are there any old Stafford tunes that rarely get played that you are particularly looking forward to hearing at the re-union later this month?

I'll start with 2:

Inverts - Time will change

Tommy Rodgers - I'll tell it to the wind.

Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Been daydreaming about hearing some of the old classics again. But, as some are played most weekends at venues all over, are there any old Stafford tunes that rarely get played that you are particularly looking forward to hearing at the re-union later this month?

I'll start with 2:

Inverts - Time will change

Tommy Rodgers - I'll tell it to the wind.

link

Peanut Duck whistling.gif

Social source share

Colonel Abrahams - 'Trapped' from the 'disco' before

Colors - 'Am I gonna be the one' on the little revolving dance floor at the very top

Guy - "All the way from Chicago, these are the Alabanians & The Same Thing"

(The Masquaders C/U is the Albanians from being on holiday and looking over at Albania according to the man himself!)

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Colonel Abrahams - Trapped from the 'disco' before

Colors - 'Am I gonna be the one' on the little revolving dance floor at the very top

link

Actually, I first heard Freedom by Wham while stood in the queue one night. Thought it was a motown track by a female artist.

Cant Believe I didnt put:

Valerie Lamar - Shame, but I will be amazed and eternally grateful, if that was spun by somebody.

Social source share

Guy - "All the way from Chicago, these are the Alabanians & The Same Thing"

(The Masquaders C/U is the Albanians from being on holiday and looking over at Albania according to the man himself!)

link

Ahh that reminds me of the 'Preston Cybermen' whistling.gif Golding, Kellet and crew wonder if any of them will make it

Social source share

Ree Flores - Look Into My Heart  thumbsup.gif Tho I did hear this at Prestatyn

link

You'd have heard if you were at Soulsville last Friday from Mr. Trouble, and you'll hear it at the Friendship this Saturday :D

One of the best played at Stafford without a doubt :D

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

are there any old Stafford tunes that rarely get played that you are particularly looking forward to hearing at the re-union later this month?

The Relatives on Almont

"Im Just Looking For Love"

I love it!

cheers

Paul

link

Dont remember this, sounds interesting, thought I did remember record with same title by Headliners played by Keb, another false memory from me?? Anyone remember ?

Cheers

Jockl

Social source share

Dont remember this, sounds interesting, thought I did remember record with same title by Headliners played by Keb, another false memory from me?? Anyone remember ?

Cheers

Jockl

link

Jesus Jock your memory as bad as mine then?

Jakey

Social source share

Jesus Jock your memory as bad as mine then?

Jakey

link

Too many sherpbet dips over years! Are you going to Stafford do, I asked Paul why you didnt go to Prestatyn and he said you have given up going out, cant be true!!

Social source share

Too many sherpbet dips over years! Are you going to Stafford do, I asked Paul why you didnt go to Prestatyn and he said you have given up going out, cant be true!!

link

Hi Jock

No i'm not going to the Stafford do, gonna stick with the good memories of TOTW , can't imagine it without Pete Lawson can you?

I will go out when/ if i see something that will inspire me musically, just going through one of those apathetic periods still buying tunes though!

Jakey

Social source share

Cheers

Jockl

link

On Luan, "He's looking for a love". Ask Chanky nicely, and he'll post a sound file up again.

Social source share

You'd have heard if you were at Soulsville last Friday from Mr. Trouble, and you'll hear it at the Friendship this Friday :wicked:

One of the best played at Stafford without a doubt :wicked:

link

One of the best played at any time IMHO :thumbsup:

(though it was played before Stafford)

How about:

Bee Bee Stans, Front Page Love?

Dave

Social source share

Indeed :wicked: don't know if it was played before though. Hippo will know :thumbsup:

Does anyone actually know how old it is? I'd guess 69/70 - anyone know for sure? Hippo? :wicked:

link

Deffo played before Stafford Mark. - Mecca ?

Social source share

Deffo played before Stafford Mark. - Mecca ?

link

I was gonna say Cleggy, Steve?

As for the date it was made, if JT doesn't notice this question I'll give him a nudge later :wicked:

Incidentally Mark, Mr Trouble was good enough to indulge myself and Rev Cato by allowing said tune to be played again during the final, rather lively, half hour on Friday when we'd convinced ourselves we could go the pace :thumbsup:

Social source share

As for the date it was made, if JT doesn't notice this question I'll give him a nudge later :wicked:

Incidentally Mark, Mr Trouble was good enough to indulge myself and Rev Cato by allowing said tune to be played again during the final, rather lively, half hour on Friday when we'd convinced ourselves we could go the pace :wicked:

link

Was thinking Curtis, but if Clegg, then Frank or Poke (what a dj :thumbsup: )

Social source share

The Turbines We got to start over, will do for me,definetly havent heard this since Stafford.

link

Played out over the years, Driveller I think and Andy Dyson definately played it, still does occasionally. The flip has seen some turntable action too.

Social source share

Played out over the years, Driveller I think and Andy Dyson definately played it, still does occasionally.  The flip has seen some turntable action too.

link

Have you got a soundbyte of the flip? Can't say I've ever heard it.

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

On Luan, "He's looking for a love". Ask Chanky nicely, and he'll post a sound file up again.

link

It is the Headlines on Luau not Headliners on Luan, if you're fussy... :lol:   Great record anyway.

link

If you wanna be even fussier....who the f**** Chanky :wicked::thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

Indeed :wicked: don't know if it was played before though.

Hippo will know :thumbsup:

Does anyone actually know how old it is? I'd guess 69/70.

Hippo will know :lol:

link

Don't know then.

Hipp will know :wicked:

link

Never heard of it until recently; apparently it's the biggest Deep Funk record ever that some plagarists on the Northern scene have just picked up on. Is it any good?

Social source share

You'd have heard if you were at Soulsville last Friday from Mr. Trouble, and you'll hear it at the Friendship this Saturday :thumbsup:

One of the best played at Stafford without a doubt :wicked:

link

first time i've seen that charles brandy label - top tune mate!! forgotten underplayed for sure

Social source share

Was thinking Curtis, but if Clegg, then Frank or  Poke (what a dj  :thumbsup: )

link

He was indeed mate :lol:

Just had a quick natter, (about an hour and a half :wicked: ), with Mr Hayden, and he reckons it was first spun at the Mecca, as you said :lol:

Sounds as if he's going to the next Samanthas :wicked: despite "having no records".....until you start talking titles.....then it turns out "that's somewhere in the cupboard" :lol:

Dave

Social source share

Johnny Maestro 'Im Stepping Out Of The Picture' was played at Stafford from an acetate(so I am informed). Does anybody have the original issue and does it differ from the acetate, ie. has a wailing woman singing over the horns section near the end?

Social source share

I'm sure there's a soundfile on the soulclub site: https://www.soulclub.org

link

There is. But it is the same as the Acetate that they played at Stafford. The same take is on the UK Soul City 45( B side of bricks broken bottles and sticks). I have been on several sites and they all play the same. Apparently, they played it from an Acetate because someone gained access to the Wand/Scepter Studios in the 80's and came back with the tapes.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that the cut of Johnny Maestro & The Crests "Stepping Out Of The Picture" on the Kent lp "Big City Soul Volume 2" is quite different from the 45. This could be the 'tape' version played at Stafford. I'm sure Ady Croasdell can confirm. He was, of course, the source of many of the big sounds of 83-85: Torture, The Magic Touch, Not My Girl etc.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that the cut of Johnny Maestro & The Crests "Stepping Out Of The Picture" on the Kent lp "Big City Soul Volume 2" is quite different from the 45. This could be the 'tape' version played at Stafford. I'm sure Ady Croasdell can confirm. He was, of course, the source of many of the big sounds of 83-85: Torture, The Magic Touch, Not My Girl etc.

link

Quite correct. I have just been browsing around other sections of this Forum and found someone asking exactly the same question on the 1st of April (I'm a silly fool) Usually I only look at the Sales section. The answers are all there. If you have an original Scepter 45 it wails over the horns section near the end. All other versions are from the 80's LP's or pressings. One of the best 45's from the Stafford Era.

Social source share

Quite correct. I have just been browsing around other sections of this Forum and found someone asking exactly the same question on the 1st of April (I'm a silly fool) Usually I only look at the Sales section. The answers are all there. If you have an original Scepter 45 it wails over the horns section near the end. All other versions are from the 80's LP's or pressings. One of the best 45's from the Stafford Era.

link

==============

anyone remember

saxie russell - your dirty heart

alias preston peters on MM

still rocks for me!

Social source share

I have just dug out a tape of Stafford sounds that was made buy Keb Darge for a mate of mine. Look at this lot:

Worth Every Tear I cry- Dee Dee Warwick

Like my Love - 4 Tracks

I'm Lonely- Martha Starr

I've Had It- George Smith

Thanks for a little lovin' - The Trends (covered up as Freddie Gorman)

Love Me or Let me Go - Monique

Do you Know What Love Is- Syl Johnson

Love Look In Her Eyes- Falcons

One More Chance - Margie Joseph

That's How Much I Love You- Tommy Tucker

Not a Chance in a Million - Jock Mitchell (big at wigan as well)

Only Your Love Can Save Me - Betty Lavette

Try My Love- Troy Dodds

Talking About You Babe- Little Charles

Run For My Life - Emanual Laskey

Need You Like a Baby- Andrea Henry

Gotta Be a Reason - Bernard Smith

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong- Ray & Dave

This Feeling is Real - George Pepp

Jerk Baby Jerk - Carl Burnett & The Hustlers

Two of Us - THe Other Ones

Love Burns Like Fire- Abstract Reality

Just a small selection of what they played and why most cost a lot of dosh nowadays. Still a couple of cheapies there though.

Social source share

Johnny Maestro 'Im Stepping Out Of The Picture' was played at Stafford from an acetate(so I am informed). Does anybody have the original issue and does it differ from the acetate, ie. has a wailing woman singing over the horns section near the end?

link

I have this version somewhere on tape......think the wailing woman though is Johnny Maestro :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As has been pointed out, many of the 'Stafford' tunes had been played elsewhere. Many, but not all, to unappreciative ears. What I think Stafford was best at, was the regulars gave records a chance more than 95 % of other venues did.

And then once these beat ballads, or latin or whatever, even 80s style tracks, had gotten interest, they dropped them :wicked::lol:

But they looked for something else. (Sounds a bit mod to me)

What it essentially did, was take a scene in turmoil, drag it kicking and screaming into the 80s, and breathed enough life into Northern Soul, to keep it going during the quieter (Underground??) years of the late 80s early 90s.

Another legacy is, many of the Stafford regulars, still look for that new, unknown sound, and we receive our fair share of knocks about that, maybe not as much as the oldies crowd tho. :thumbsup:

Been racking my brains, and cant remember, can anyone tell me the song Pat Brady covered as 'The Twans', about the same time as Guy was playing 'Suspicion'. 1985 ish I'd guess?? :wicked:

Social source share

As has been pointed out, many of the 'Stafford' tunes had been played elsewhere. Many, but not all, to unappreciative ears. What I think Stafford was best at, was the regulars gave records a chance more than 95 % of other venues did.

And then once these beat ballads, or latin or whatever, even 80s style tracks, had gotten interest, they dropped them  :wicked:   :shades:

What it essentially did, was take a scene in turmoil, drag it kicking and screaming into the 80s, and breathed enough life into Northern Soul, to keep it going during the quieter (Underground??) years of the late 80s early 90s.

Another legacy is, many of the Stafford regulars, still look for that new, unknown sound, and we receive our fair share of knocks about that, maybe not as much as the oldies crowd tho. :lol:

Been racking my brains, and cant remember, can anyone tell me the song Pat Brady covered as 'The Twans', about the same time as Guy was playing 'Suspicion'. 1985 ish I'd guess??  :lol:

link

Frankie & The Twan - Good things come to those who wait

Toni Washington - Good Things - Konti (about £75)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

As for the date it was made, if JT doesn't notice this question I'll give him a nudge later :P

Incidentally Mark, Mr Trouble was good enough to indulge myself and Rev Cato by allowing said tune to be played again during the final, rather lively, half hour on Friday when we'd convinced ourselves we could go the pace :wicked:

link

I'm not sure it's got a date on the label, but as it's a funk record it'll be late 60s, but I wouldn't think it'll be as late as 1970. The production is a bit rough for 1970+ IMO. :lol:

Was William Cummings played at Stafford? I rate that almost as highly as Ree Flores. Similar sound to Ree Flores, although not quite out and out funk like the Ree Flores is. :shades:

I wish I was old enough to have gone to Stafford, they seemed to have played so many great records then. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

And then once these beat ballads, or latin or whatever, even 80s style tracks, had gotten interest, they dropped them  :wicked:   :shades:

Another legacy is, many of the Stafford regulars, still look for that new, unknown sound, and we receive our fair share of knocks about that, maybe not as much as the oldies crowd tho. :lol:

Been racking my brains, and cant remember, can anyone tell me the song Pat Brady covered as 'The Twans', about the same time as Guy was playing 'Suspicion'. 1985 ish I'd guess??  :lol:

link

I Agree ,What Happned At stafford Was nothing New ,Newies In The Main Room And oldies In The small Room.The DJ's And collectors (Guy,Pete Lawson etc) Had Been collecting New Stuff for A Few Years Previous.

As I Said In an earlier Post A Few Records That Are Now Looked On As Stafford Tunes Were In fact Played at Wigan First.

I Was Brought Up On The stafford sounds And As You Say You ,You Cant Help Looking For That New Sound ,

The oldies Brigade Has Always been The same ,Part Of The reason I Left The Scene Was The Stick That Myself And A Mate got From our Own townsfolk(Not You Wiganer) ,'Get This S**T Off Play Some F****N Oldies' ,Was what We got ,

The funny Thing Is That I Was Looking At A Playlist The Other Week From An Oldies Night Where One Of These People 'DJ'd' (Played Records) There Were At Least three 'Stafford' Records In The spot.

At The End Of The Day If It Wasnt For stafford ,And all The people Involved There Wouldnt Have Been A Northern For Them To Come back To

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I Agree ,What Happned At stafford Was nothing New ,Newies In The Main Room And oldies In The small Room.The DJ's And collectors (Guy,Pete Lawson etc) Had Been collecting New Stuff for A Few Years Previous.

As I Said In an earlier Post A Few Records That Are Now Looked On As Stafford Tunes Were In fact Played at Wigan First.

I Was Brought Up On The stafford sounds And As You Say You ,You Cant Help Looking For That New Sound ,

The oldies Brigade Has Always been The same ,Part Of The reason I Left The Scene Was The Stick That Myself And A Mate got From our Own townsfolk(Not You Wiganer) ,'Get This S**T Off Play Some F****N Oldies' ,Was what We got ,

The funny Thing Is That I Was Looking At A Playlist The Other Week From An Oldies Night Where One Of These People 'DJ'd' (Played Records) There Were At Least three 'Stafford' Records In The spot.

At The End Of The Day If It Wasnt For stafford ,And all The people Involved There Wouldnt Have Been A Northern For Them To Come back To

link

Three Records That sum it all up For Me ,Not just The top of The World But Also The Other clubs at The time ,Notts Palais,Leicester Leyton Buzzard alldayers ett...,Would Be

brooks brothers looking for a woman

Matt Parsons boogaloo investagator

Enchantments In Love with Your daughter

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What about Keb's old Jimmy Rare cover up (Littel John)? "Just Wait And See". Has that been played much since the mid 80s? I've seen it on a couple of playlists, but not very reguarly? :wicked:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

What about Keb's old Jimmy Rare cover up (Littel John)? "Just Wait And See". Has that been played much since the mid 80s? I've seen it on a couple of playlists, but not very reguarly? :wicked:

link

Shit Rare Thats Why,Was Pressed Though,

Correct Me If Im Wrong But Was This On 'Gogate' ,Same As The Other Keb Spin 'Trent Sisters A Letter A Day' I Havnt Heard This Since Stafford.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Shit Rare Thats Why,Was Pressed Though,

Correct Me If Im Wrong But Was This On 'Gogate' ,Same As The Other Keb Spin 'Trent Sisters A Letter A Day' I Havnt Heard This Since Stafford.

link

Yeah it's on Gogate. Who got Keb's old copy? Someone told me it was a bit trashed? (makes a change for a Keb record! :lol::lol: )

Haha, it took Keb ages to remember the Trent Sisters thing a couple of weekends ago at Wrighty's party after he'd drunk a bottle of JD. It was like he was trying to have a dump for about an hour, as he tried to squeeze the knowledge out of his head. lol! :wicked::shades:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Matt Parsons boogaloo investagator

=======================

now your talking stafford here leigh!!

still remember the black/white cover up label!!!

guy spun this at Wigan tiffs one night and it nearly cleared the floor

still my mint UK issue of this corker

have to say guys insts were much better than Kebs!! johnny gibson trio - YUK!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert