What Does It For You?

Guest bazabod_downunder

Guest bazabod_downunder

So what actually does it for you?...do you have a preference to what's guaranteed to give you goosebumps?

It may be a wide angle, but for me bongos are the thing any track which features predominantly bongos is almost guaranteed to get me on the floor, tracks like Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows, Constellations - I Don't Know About You, Cliff Nobles - My Love Is Getting Stronger to name many will get me rushing to the floor, Dave Thorley used to play a track at Yate which had oddles of bongos, for the life of me I can't remember who it was by, George 'somebody' sticks in my mind...Dave, any idea?. My girlfriend Kath's thing is the sax so what's yours?

Just leaving for the airport to catch a flight down to Sydney for the weekender.....wherever you are have a soulful weekend.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bass..

Records like get your hat - john & carol, Ray Agee - Real Real Love, just pushing the record along.

Horns too, subtle horns that blast in at the end of a line.

Social source share

So what actually does it for you?...do you have a preference to what's guaranteed to give you goosebumps?

It may be a wide angle, but for me bongos are the thing any track which features predominantly bongos is almost guaranteed to get me on the floor, tracks like Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows, Constellations - I Don't Know About You, Cliff Nobles - My Love Is Getting Stronger to name many will get me rushing to the floor, Dave Thorley used to play a track at Yate which had oddles of bongos, for the life of me I can't remember who it was by, George 'somebody' sticks in my mind...Dave, any idea?. My girlfriend Kath's thing is the sax so what's yours?

Just leaving for the airport to catch a flight down to Sydney for the weekender.....wherever you are have a soulful weekend.

KTF

Baz

The SAX does it for me.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The SAX does it for me.

Yep sax breaks get me going and usually the song picks up til the end around that point. Also brilliant close harmony like The Sapphires and The Fascinations and the Four Tops and many others...

Usually depends on my mood though.

Social source share

Guest highlander

KTF

Baz

I spent months trying to nail that trumpet solo fom the FLASHER back in the day .no matter how hard i practised it still sounded like cherry pink and apple blossom white! tortured my parents with my efforts. finally put the thing back in its case and taped it shut. still like the tune though , youll never hear it out now . it was massive back in 70something

Social source share

Gotta be the drums.

A guy who eats stones for breakfast coupled with a drummer on speed now that's the recipe!

Stevie Wonder Nothing's Too Good For My Baby is a good example.

Paul

Gotta agree. Motown drums!!!!......Uptight is another fine example....... Many people copied.

Edited by Koolkat
Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Its what you do with it really . :lol:

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Gotta agree. Motown drums!!!!......Uptight is another fine example....... Many people copied.

yep drums for me, not forgettin...

these chains of love

she's fire

manifesto

love slipped thru my fingers

and for the bongis dont forget 'Zola' King Errison

Social source share

Great thread,

I love the sound of a Fender bass and a Hammond organ.

And a warm cello in a string section adds to the mood.

But don't forget it's often the less-obvious things in tracks which make a big difference ...little guitar strikes and fat tambourines for example.

Even fingersnaps can play an important part.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

KTF

Baz

I must say I do like Mel Britts bongos.

Harpsichord, banjo and mandolin, banjo for Laine Hill TMO, mandolin on Bud harper WEYW

and the harpsichord Young Blood Smith. :D

Social source share

Guest Trevski

STRINGS.. .call me old fashioned but it,s gotta be the old violin...string section for me!... :D ..or second choice :D the old ORGAN. biggrin.gif ...yep!.

Seconded! I like a big production, lots of swirling high pitched strings, perhaps a bit of pitzicatto. Check the searing, soaring strings in the middle break of "Feminine ingenuity" Lovely!

Actually, the whole record is a masterclass of a big production, they threw the kitchen sink at that one!

Strident brass, massive kettledrum rolls, soaring strings, all behind a perfecttly gorgeous vocal. Heaven!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert