How Good Is This ?

Russ Vickers

LIBERTY - GIRL YOU BETTER WAKE UP - Instrumental

Not normally a great lover of instrumentals.............but this has knocked my socks off.........wow !!!!!!. The other side has awfull very white vox, which I dislike.......but the instrumental is another story. Cant remember when a 7ts instrumental went big last, but this has the lot IMHO cheap as the proverbials too.

Waddaya think, any good or just me getting over excited again.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Old Cleggy etc. tune from way back when, Russ.

The vocal and inst were certainly played back in the day!

:unsure:

Sean

Thank you Sean, I thought as much to be honest, but I personally had not heard it until recently & it knocked me a little side ways, as you dont hear this kinda record very often these days..........not everyones cuppa I know, but as a pure dance record, with that X factor (for me anyway) it could work again methinks.......?.

Russ

Social source share

This was played at Wigan before Cleethorpes opened.

Great track.

Cheers Pete.............it kinda sounds familiar in some ways, but dont think I ever heard it during my time during the last few years of WC.

Cracking tho'.........would punters dance to this these days ?................could they dance to it ?, as the art of propper stomping/shuffling is pretty much long gone with most dancers these day's.

Russ

Social source share

Cheers Pete.............it kinda sounds familiar in some ways, but dont think I ever heard it during my time during the last few years of WC.

Cracking tho'.........would punters dance to this these days ?................could they dance to it ?, as the art of propper stomping/shuffling is pretty much long gone with most dancers these day's.

Russ

No it was before I even went there - I have it on tape from the 2nd anniversary and one time before that. Funnily enough - about a year back I did a podcast and put this on it and a few people said how great it sounded (mainly me actually) but on the two occasions I've dj'd since, I forgot to take it with me!

Social source share

Yes remeber it very well at the Mecca - One of my friends was asking about it a bout 3 or 4 years ago and commented on the nasty vocal side.

BASF is the label if im not to mistaken - same people who made the tapes -strange thing is doesnt BSAF stand for something starting with British and the track was a US release only as opposed to many releases on UK BSAF e.g. Jigsaw.

Social source share

Yes remeber it very well at the Mecca - One of my friends was asking about it a bout 3 or 4 years ago and commented on the nasty vocal side.

BASF is the label if im not to mistaken - same people who made the tapes -strange thing is doesnt BSAF stand for something starting with British and the track was a US release only as opposed to many releases on UK BSAF e.g. Jigsaw.

sorry, wrong: BASF is a german chemical company ("Baden Aniline and Soda Company"). Why on earth they thought they should set up a record label I don't know...

Social source share

Yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean! :no: (Liberty was played a little bit later though!)

Another classic from that period, and in the same vein as Liberty would be "Peace And Love" (inst.) by Ron Butler & The Ramblers (PLAYBOY). Possibly due a revival ? :yes:

prefer the vocal ron butler

have a couple @ 20-00

and the liberty @ 15-00

both underated ,nice one russ my pompey mate

Social source share

Was actually a monster @ The Mecca and then Cleethorpes in the mid 70's Russ - the instrumental side only. A Colin Curtis discovery I believe.......

Ian D :lol:

:thumbup: ,you're right as usual Ian.Mecca first,CC play.

Spun this at The Attic few months back(inst),nearly had some wetting themselves,they'd not heard it out for sooo long.Top instrumental imo.,and cheap. thumbsup.gif

just thought,the vocal side fits nicely in with the DRY WELL thread re:"psyche ".

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Was actually a monster @ The Mecca and then Cleethorpes in the mid 70's Russ...

Ian D :lol:

Weren't they all? :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I think it's fair to say this was a big tune everywhere, I remember hearing it at the Mecca, got a copy about a month later and played it at Yate, a floor packer for nearly a year. Many of these relativly new releases would get picked up on by most of the clubs of the time, The Mecca, Cleethorpes, Yate and even Wigan at times, often Richard Searling and (Believe it or not) Keith Minshull, playing them there.

Great tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I think it's fair to say this was a big tune everywhere, I remember hearing it at the Mecca, got a copy about a month later and played it at Yate, a floor packer for nearly a year. Many of these relativly new releases would get picked up on by most of the clubs of the time, The Mecca, Cleethorpes, Yate and even Wigan at times, often Richard Searling and (Believe it or not) Keith Minshull, playing them there.

Great tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey up Dave & Russ,

Look at who produced it.......

And where it was recorded!!.....

A combination conceived in heaven?

See you in 12 days Russ in sunny Spain!

Regards

David

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Great tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair comment. :) Actually I think Richard was responsible for pushing the Ron Butler & Ramblers record, as well as "Something Kind Of Mellow" n' stuff... also I believe Roger Collins "You Sexy Sugar Plum" was a Cleethorpes first, (Sam?) but I may be wrong.

Speaking of new releases (in 1975), I've just been playing Got'cha "Makin' Love To Ya" which I bought after it was advertised in B&S as being played by Sam at Cleethorpes - alongside Laura Lee "Remember Me" and Napoli & Glasson "Just A Little Timing" (VIGOR). Got'cha still sounds great, but I'm puzzled as how the jazzy instrumental break went down? (I suspect it would cause a whole bunch of moans from the usual suspects these days!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Liberty (inst.) was a very big Blackpool Mecca spin in 1975. Soul Bowl soon got a batch of 'em for sale (as usual).

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear it played at Hinckley in the early 80's, at one of the "live" show allnighters (Ric-Tic Revue etc.)

Yup, was a fairly regular spin for Dave Evison at that time..........that's where I first heard it, and if you thinks it's good in home Russ, wait until you hear it LOUD. Great memories for me this one. I'm sure I have it on a tape from Hinckley somewhere.

My copy was quite noisy, so I bought another, but as I recall that wasn't that much better.........was that a trait of this pressing??

Still got both copies......must dig it out!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Fair comment. :) Actually I think Richard was responsible for pushing the Ron Butler & Ramblers record, as well as "Something Kind Of Mellow" n' stuff... also I believe Roger Collins "You Sexy Sugar Plum" was a Cleethorpes first, (Sam?) but I may be wrong.

Speaking of new releases (in 1975), I've just been playing Got'cha "Makin' Love To Ya" which I bought after it was advertised in B&S as being played by Sam at Cleethorpes - alongside Laura Lee "Remember Me" and Napoli & Glasson "Just A Little Timing" (VIGOR). Got'cha still sounds great, but I'm puzzled as how the jazzy instrumental break went down? (I suspect it would cause a whole bunch of moans from the usual suspects these days!)

I've been listening to 'Gotcha' quite a bit recently & thought it could do with a reactivation, however the jazzy break, kinda puts me off too, I too wonder how this went down back in the day aswell...........anyone...........Sean ?????.

Russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My copy was quite noisy, so I bought another, but as I recall that wasn't that much better.........was that a trait of this pressing??

Cheers,

Mark R

...er no, that would be a trait of playing your records at a tracking weight of 6lbs, Mark laugh.gif ...

Actually I like the vocal of this, too, and always have done. Nice US 'Sunshine Pop' tune, even if the singer does sound a bit like Les McKeown of the Bay City Rollers!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert