Pete S

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Morning PETE IF I CAN OFFER YOU THE SAME ADVICE AS YOU DID WHEN I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY EQUALISER ( "Just plug it in mate ) :thumbup:

Yeah I tried plugging it in Roddy but it didn't tell me where the f*cking record was from :lol:

p.s., buy some records off me and I'll fix your equaliser

Social source share

Anyone know anything about this - what country, is it a bootleg (I think maybe it is), if so when was it done? It's not Canadian. Nothing in the run off either except wlb-092313.

cheers

pete

post-1893-1220435600_thumb.jpg

Odd that the number's 5001 and not 54100. Cock up at the pressing plant or maybe just a naff boot?

Social source share

Anyone know anything about this - what country, is it a bootleg (I think maybe it is), if so when was it done? It's not Canadian. Nothing in the run off either except wlb-092313.

cheers

pete

post-1893-1220435600_thumb.jpg

Never seen this one before Pete.

I have been looking around to try to find something, anything!.

Not a known Printing Error as far as I'm aware >>> LINK (Searbear.com) <<<

Looking at the label 2 colour (Black print on Yellow Label) must be a low cost press to produce.

Got the Matrix correct on the Label & Deadwax but then to have 5001 instead of 54100 Very Strange.

Raynoma Gordy apparently bootlegged Motown records when she was running the New York office. Could it be one of those.

These copies must be out there somewhere Steve.

I wonder if you have the correct answer to this mystery.

-------------------------------------------------------

It could be from a another country.

post-1893-1220435600_thumb.jpg--Certainly unusual.

I have seen a small number of scans from various countries, another reason for a 2 colour press perhaps

similar to these Dutch Black/Silver or Orange/Black Motown map design. They used the GO prefix though.

PopSike.com

4071619088.jpg

330164644446.jpg

Apart from Canada using the Tamla Logo, and this Dutch Motown, how many other countries attempted to copy U.S.A. designs I wonder?.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

These copies must be out there somewhere Steve.

I wonder if you have the answer.

????

Don't understand your post. I asked a question, didn't suggest I had an answer. Are you saying it didn't happen? As I asked Boba, if its an 80's boot, where was the demand from ?

Social source share

????

Don't understand your post. I asked a question, didn't suggest I had an answer. Are you saying it didn't happen? As I asked Boba, if its an 80's boot, where was the demand from ?

It was this that I was referring to

"Raynoma Gordy apparently bootlegged Motown records when she was running the New York office. Could it be one of those."

Many have mentioned the Boots via Raynoma Gordy from the 60's.

but we don't appear have any definite scans, I can't remember seeing any.

Social source share

It was this that I was referring to

"Raynoma Gordy apparently bootlegged Motown records when she was running the New York office. Could it be one of those."

Many have mentioned the Boots via Raynoma Gordy from the 60's.

but we don't appear have any definite scans, I can't remember seeing any.

Aah right. No, I've never seen any that I know of despite having lots and lots of US Motown. I doubt I'd know what to look for to be honest.Gerald Posner (?) mentions it in his book on Gordy and states clearly that she was doing it after Barney Ales was shipped copies by a distributor. (Its late and I'll check the book tomorrow but I'm sure you get my drift. I'm sure you've read this and know much more anyway.

:lol:

Social source share

????

I was just speculating, I don't know if it's really a boot or not. However, while there wouldn't be a US demand for say, rare northern records in the 80s, there definitely were motown collectors, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a boot of a motown title. It does seem like an odd title to bootleg though.

Social source share

I was just speculating, I don't know if it's really a boot or not. However, while there wouldn't be a US demand for say, rare northern records in the 80s, there definitely were motown collectors, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a boot of a motown title. It does seem like an odd title to bootleg though.

I will run this by Bob Miner, who was a big US motown collector in the 80s, by the way, I will see him on Sunday and will ask him.

Social source share

I will run this by Bob Miner, who was a big US motown collector in the 80s, by the way, I will see him on Sunday and will ask him.

Thanks Mate, it would be interesting to find something out.

I have been searching PopSike.com and found this one from PORTUGAL

the numbering system is similar, (5009) but too many years between releases I suppose.

Plus no picture of the label.

250061371661.jpg--TMATS 5009 TAMLA MOTOWN

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi , I haven't seen Bob M for 20 years+ did he sell his collection? Did he ever replace the bulb in the bathroom?

I don't think he lives the same place he lived 20 years ago, you know neighborhoods in Chicago get gentrified and the rents go up and renters without money have to move.

Anyways, he does the radio show before mine, a doowop show on Sunday Night, 6-7:30PM chicago time, you can listen to him live at www.whpk.org, you could even call him.

Sometimes people ask me for his email which is really funny because he still doesn't even have a home phone.

Social source share

I don't think he lives the same place he lived 20 years ago, you know neighborhoods in Chicago get gentrified and the rents go up and renters without money have to move.

Anyways, he does the radio show before mine, a doowop show on Sunday Night, 6-7:30PM chicago time, you can listen to him live at www.whpk.org, you could even call him.

Sometimes people ask me for his email which is really funny because he still doesn't even have a home phone.

Bob Miner looked at it and said he thought it might be canadian but Pete S says it's not. He says it definitely wasn't booted in the US and assumes it's a press from another country.

Social source share

Bob Miner looked at it and said he thought it might be canadian but Pete S says it's not. He says it definitely wasn't booted in the US and assumes it's a press from another country.

Thanks Mate.

The Early Canadian stuff was on the Yellow Tamla Label

but kept the U.S.A. Number whether it be Motown, Gordy etc.

That 5001 Number does suggest another country as even on a Canadian copy I would expect 54100.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thanks Mate.

The Early Canadian stuff was on the Yellow Tamla Label

but kept the U.S.A. Number whether it be Motown, Gordy etc.

That 5001 Number does suggest another country as even on a Canadian copy I would expect 54100.

Bob Miner did say that also. He surprisingly knew the original release number right off the top of his head, I didn't know he still remembered all the motown release #s.

Social source share

the font on the small text (publishing, etc.) looks like it's an 80s font maybe.

I agree, looks very "modern" to me too. Can't recall what the song is like but maybe a belgian boot? They did loads of pressings with original label design but used only one colour (usually black) if the original was multi-coloured.

Does the yellow label match the yellow label of an original?

Social source share

I agree, looks very "modern" to me too. Can't recall what the song is like but maybe a belgian boot? They did loads of pressings with original label design but used only one colour (usually black) if the original was multi-coloured.

Does the yellow label match the yellow label of an original?

I would love to answer that question but I can't find the f*cking record now!

Social source share

I'm going to try and send up the original photo, sorry if it's very big but it may give more info

post-1893-1220881165_thumb.jpg

definitely a bootleg.look at the tamla logo, so blurred it's obvious it was taken from another record. speaking of blurred, the poor print definition for both logo and title/artist is another hint.

Social source share

definitely a bootleg.look at the tamla logo, so blurred it's obvious it was taken from another record. speaking of blurred, the poor print definition for both logo and title/artist is another hint.

Gotta say now that we have a closer look,

that blurred print does make it look like a Boot.

Now from a Mystery to a Whodunit, when and why.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert