James Lately, Cody Black, Herman Lewis

Anoraks Corner

Trades of equal calibre invited on the following choice Detroit items:

James Lately - Love, friends & money - Temple

Excellent condition - slight label fade on flipside

Herman Lewis - Who's kissing you tonight - Stone Blue (White Demo)

Excellent condition - a few tiny insignificant marks on vinyl NAP - labels are mint

Cody Black - I'm slowly molding - King (Demo)

Excellent condition - slight WOL and edge warp NAP

Magic Tones - It's better to love - Solid Hit

Excellent condition - far, far superior version/sound quality than the Mahs release

Let's not talk cash.

Not looking for a bunch of discs to resell on...just some nice pieces to add to my shelves.

60's Northern only, please.

Don't be shy...PM me.

:lol:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Excellent condition - far, far superior version/sound quality than the Mahs release

indeed a fantastic 1st version on this mega rare press. for me out of all reason why they did the later press on mah´s in such a bad way :thumbsup: the flip "fun to be young" is also completely different to the mah´s presses, but a boring mover anyway (imo). still only three copies known, as far as i know. great record and a must for "real" detroit-collectors :D

Edited by Andreas
Social source share

Trades of equal calibre invited on the following choice Detroit items:

James Lately - Love, friends & money - Temple

Excellent condition - slight label fade on flipside

Herman Lewis - Who's kissing you tonight - Stone Blue (White Demo)

Excellent condition - a few tiny insignificant marks on vinyl NAP - labels are mint

Cody Black - I'm slowly molding - King (Demo)

Excellent condition - slight WOL and edge warp NAP

Let's not talk cash.

Not looking for a bunch of discs to resell on...just some nice pieces to add to my shelves.

60's Northern only, please.

Don't be shy...PM me.

:unsure:

anyone have a soundclip of the magictones,, is there a difference to the mahs... dave

Social source share

anyone have a soundclip of the magictones,, is there a difference to the mahs... dave

The Solid Hit take is far, far superior to the common (yet still good) Mahs release.

Here's a link to a piece I wrote about it in Shades of Soul back in 2004:

>>> CLICK HERE <<<

A very nice piece to add to any collection, or indeed DJ with!

ph34r.gif

Social source share

soundfile of the magictones is that what you want??? >>>> here.

Nowp, that's the Mah's version...but still great innit!

Now imagine additional brass on top and you're on the right track!

Haven't got time to record snippets at the moment...not that I've ever been successful uploading clips onto SS anyway!!!

wink.gif

Social source share

Haven't got time to record snippets at the moment...not that I've ever been successful uploading clips onto SS anyway!!!

:lol:

whoops its in refosoul as the magictones (sorry)

chris ph34r.gif

Social source share

For years it was the missing number 108 wasnt it and then i was found and wowee it turns out to be just an average detroit record that wouldnt be given a second hearing if it was commom IMO

Ehh, WTF are you on about.

The other one is common and okay Dave says this one is different/better but it was hardly an unknown before the Solid Hit version turned up was it, surely its been a common record a lot longer than its been a rarity. :P

And lots of us loved it when it was common so why change our minds now, maybe its just come on your radar now there is an expensive one but many of us have liked it long before that.

I think theres a clear sound of pots and kettles sopmewhere around.

Social source share

Ehh, WTF are you on about.

The other one is common and okay Dave says this one is different/better but it was hardly an unknown before the Solid Hit version turned up was it, surely its been a common record a lot longer than its been a rarity. :P

And lots of us loved it when it was common so why change our minds now, maybe its just come on your radar now there is an expensive one but many of us have liked it long before that.

I think theres a clear sound of pots and kettles sopmewhere around.

WTF Here you go again jumping in with 2 feet in the 80's the Detroit listing that i think Rod Dearlove or Derek Pearson produced had 108 as a missing number and the group or title not known at least to a lot of people and i include a lot of the dealers in that. as a detroit collector i always wanted to know what it was and own it. When it was finally found i was a little more than disapointed it was not another Pat Lewis no one to love or something of that quality. as i said its an ok detroit record and nothing special and no it hasnt just come on to my radar i used to own the other one and it went in the lot i sold to Tim Brown in 1997

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

No, you accused people of only giving the record a second hearing because it was rare, I am pointing out there was a whole load of tapeswoppers liking it, sharing it and still liking it when it was worth £2.50, long before this other one was found.

So your pompous, and some would suggest a tad hypocritical, statement above does not hang together, some of us were happy buying the £2.50 records because of what they sounded like rather than whether they were a missing number or not.

And it was Rod Dearloves listing, I still have it if you want to buy a copy, think they are quite rare.

Social source share

No, you accused people of only giving the record a second hearing because it was rare, I am pointing out there was a whole load of tapeswoppers liking it, sharing it and still liking it when it was worth £2.50, long before this other one was found.

So your pompous, and some would suggest a tad hypocritical, statement above does not hang together, some of us were happy buying the £2.50 records because of what they sounded like rather than whether they were a missing number or not.

And it was Rod Dearloves listing, I still have it if you want to buy a copy, think they are quite rare.

your trying to suggest i only buy rare records you have no idea what i buy and have shelves full of cheap records, i was saying its just an avearge detroit record whether its the rare version or the cheap one. As for being pompous better than going of the deep end on a soul forum keep taking the tablets mate

Social source share

Hello Jock, is it national overreaction day in Scotland today or something :)

Social source share

For years it was the missing number 108 wasnt it and then i was found and wowee it turns out to be just an average detroit record that wouldnt be given a second hearing if it was commom IMO

Emm what bit of above am I getting wrong, you say it wouldn't be given a second hearing if it was common, it was common for a long time and for many of us a pretty decent record without reaching true greatness. Your explicitly stating above people only like it because its rare, why shoudn't I get upset at such a slur on my, and many of us cheap record lovers, good reputation.

Stick to the facts please.

Hello Jock, is it national overreaction day in Scotland today or something :)

Probably, my laptops just died and,more importantly, Scotland won a football game, it sends us a bit crazy, since its as rare as seeing Haley's comet - thats not Bill, but much rarer, therefore I don't want to say I like it just in case..........

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Emm what bit of above am I getting wrong, you say it wouldn't be given a second hearing if it was common, it was common for a long time and for many of us a pretty decent record without reaching true greatness. Your explicitly stating above people only like it because its rare, why shoudn't I get upset at such a slur on my, and many of us cheap record lovers, good reputation.

Stick to the facts please.

Probably, my laptops just died and,more importantly, Scotland won a football game, it sends us a bit crazy, since its as rare as seeing Haley's comet - thats not Bill, but much rarer, therefore I don't want to say I like it just in case..........

Jocko you are the master of changing other peoples words to suit your own mind i never once mentioned cheapness in fact some of the best detroit recordings are cheap as you put it this aint one of them glad to see scotland won keep it up

Social source share

:wicked:

Whah U no :D

MR V will sort you out, he will get you upgraded. :lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nik Mak

James Lately...Wow...this is what its all about for me....ever since Gilly loaned me his collection for 6 months when i was 18...what an education!!

Chris.

Could someone please post it on here so we can all have a listen????? :rolleyes: Really want to know what the fuss is about now! :thumbsup:

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

• 1 month later...

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert