Valiants - This Is The Nite

William Bell - Trying to Love Two

The Five Royales - Dedicated To The One I Love

Shirley and Lee - Confessin'

Spyder Turner - Stand By Me

The Notions (clifford curry) - I'm Still Here

Edited by nipsip
Social source share

Tommy Collins - I wanta thank you :P this in my very humble opinion is the most beautiful ballad i've ever heard , the words just take me away :ohmy: just SUBLIME SOUL xxxxxxx if anyone could post up a soundclip you will HEAR what i mean xxxxx

Social source share

Ah yes Donny too. What a man. Personal fave by him. ' I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know' . . . Just an amazing song. I urge everyone to listen and buy a copy!!! A favourite in the record room late at night - last glass of red in hand...

Rich

yes donny is the man ,love all his stuff,just listened to the above track your right it is awsome.

Social source share

Guest posstot

good choice (other side is great too)

my choices:

tommy hunt - didn't i tell you

tran-sisters - pull the covers right up

YOUR LOVE, ON T'OTHER SIDE IS A GOOD UN TOO....PULL THE COVERS IS BEAUTIFUL EARLY SOUL MUSIC..IMHO

AND ANOTHER NO-ONE SEEMS TO HAVE MENTIONED IS TOMMYS' HUMAN...

Social source share

God, that is wonderful...went and got a copy of the Album after hearing this...thanks for putting it up Joan. :excl:

Phyllis

Yeah, agree with you all the way Phyllis, great contribution from Joan again, check out Gladys Knights equally awesome version aswell Phyllis, on the "Everybody needs love" album, you will not be disappointed.

Kev

Social source share

God, that is wonderful...went and got a copy of the Album after hearing this...thanks for putting it up Joan. :excl:

Phyllis

There are two other fantastic tracks on the album too Phyl... Build My World Around You and Lose This Dream.

The three tracks are one after the other and all are worthy of being played out.

Take care hun

x

Social source share

Okay these maybe could be described as being more deep than ballads but heres a dozen that float my boat :excl:

Debbie Taylor - How Long Can This Last

Rance Allan - See What You Have Done

Sam Dees - Child Of The Streets

Swamp Dogg - I Was Born Blue

Tousant McCall - Nothing Takes The Place Of You

Linda Jones - Not On The Outside

Black Velvet - Is It Me You Want (or just my body)

Tyrone Davis - In The Mood

Esther Marrow - Mama

Them Two - Am I A Good Man

Donny Hathaway - Lord Help Me

Chuck Amstrong - How Sweet It Is

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I've always found that songs with the word 'Angel' in the title are a good bet. Right off my head there's Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan. David Sea, Sam Dees, The Band of Oz, Darrell Banks, Jimi Hendrix, Shelby Flint, and, of course, Dusty Springfield.

And speaking of Dusty, the two that always do it to me, reducing me straight to mush every time...

Some of your lovin'

Going back

...and there's something of a tossup between her version of 'Wasn't born to follow' and Carole King's take, although if I'm really honest, the Lemon Piper's retitling of 'I was not born to follow' probably takes it.

Social source share

All Sold Out-Apollas-Loma

Love You So Bad-Empires-Candi

Let Love Be True-Naturals-Smash

I Have Searched-Robby Lawson-Kyser

Won't You Please Be My Girl-Soulville All Stars-Soulville

Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday-Del Cords-Mr. Genius

Baby Baby All the Time (later version)-Superbs-Dore

Electrified Love-Ernie Hines-We Produce

Confessin' a Feeling-Tony Ownes-Soulin'

Man Loves Two-Chuck Corby-Sound

I Wanna Chance-Vows-Markay

Under the Street Lamp-Exits-Gemini

That's the Price You Have to Pay-Brenda/Tabs-Dionn

Gotta Find My Way Back Home-Jaggerz-Gamble

and this absolute KILLER:

Let's Prove Them Wrong-Debbie Taylor-GWP

So many great slow sounds!

-Jas

Social source share

Very very nice Baz, new one on me this ... some class stuff mentioned and posted in this thread mate :D

steve

The thread in a way Steve is getting some of this deep stuff on the front page as opposed to the media thread which as you know 20 or so like minded souls have pushed for god knows how long!!!

Well get our deep soul appreciation society yet!![over to Les F to orgainse}

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Holland/Dozier/Holland - Why can't we be lovers...

One of my choices, certainly (along with all his other stuff!) :ohmy:

I happen to love the first Tamla Motown Stephanie Mills album from 1976 (Bacharach & David), and it never, ever gets a mention, so...

Other long-time faves include;

Judy Clay - "You Can't Run Away From Your Heart" (STAX),

Margie Alexander - "What'cha Tryin' To Do To Me" (CHI-SOUND)

and Jean Carn's ultra-stunning "You Are All I Need" (PIR)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Sock poised for action it is then :ohmy:

lol there all seem to be calling my name!!

BAZ A :lol:

So they are calling you as well as me :ohmy: Cheating cows !

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I have a load of fav soul ballads but my all time fav's are

Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Women moves me all the time

Atlantic Starr - Always and

Kool and the Gang - Cherish

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I had forgotten all about this, what a feckin song. Thank you!

You're more than welcome - and the 12" cut of "What'cha.." is longer! - also did you know that Margie Alexander was apparently a member of the (wait for it..) VONETTES of "Touch My Heart" fame !??* This shows how truly daft it is to conjure up petty arguments between the different styles and tempos of Soul music. It's all just too fabulous to squabble over!

*Thanks to Niall Crowley's terrific phone interview with this vastly underrated singer.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

It's all just too fabulous to squabble over!

You are so,so right. Thats why I stay out of it all and if I am honest stoped the nighter scene. All I want to do is hear good music no matter the tempo or when it was made.

Have we met if not why not :)

Social source share

Some great choices so far. I'm with those who mentioned the Margie Alexander on Chi-Sound: a record so perfect that I've often played it ten times in a row and always been left wanting more.

A few from me:

Bettye Swann I'm Just Living A Lie Fame

Usually a contender in any 'best soul record ever made' list I try to make. The ultimate collision of great singer, great band, great song; almost miraculous.

Otis Redding My Lover's Prayer Volt

Don't think Otis ever made a more heartfelt, honest and open recording than this. It's sometimes easy to miss the contributions of the real giants of soul music and this is one of his I keep going back to.

Arthur Conley I'm A Lonely Stranger Jotis

I keep blathering on about how cruelly under-rated this guy was (particularly as a ballad singer) and I'm convinced I'm right when I put the needle on this once-in-a-lifetime record. The ultimate Stax-recorded ballad.

Social source share

tough one to call but one that does it for me is

"Summer Comes Along " ...by the late Daryl Pediford on Kryptonite Records out of NYC.

It was written by DP and he played the Saxophone solo on it. Absolutely awesome. produced by James "Booty" Neal. 4:15 minutes of indie soul heaven.

The Man In Black

Social source share

Guest mel brat

BRIEF ENCOUNTER - IN A VERY SPECIAL WAY - COLUMBIA...

BRI PINCH.

Brief Encounter are another really underrated group aren't they? "Human" - what a fabulous song. Aside from Deep Soul items, I do like to hear straight forward Soul ballads and mid-tempo numbers. (Barbara Mason wipes me out! - especially "Caught In The Middle" - WOW!, and "Yes I'm Ready" still never fails to bring a lump to my throat even now. So poignant.)

Another fave that springs to mind is Essence - "I Ain't Much (But I'm All I Got)" (EPIC) 1976 - a lyric that could have been written just for me! :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest niallcrowley

You're more than welcome - and the 12" cut of "What'cha.." is longer! - also did you know that Margie Alexander was apparently a member of the (wait for it..) VONETTES of "Touch My Heart" fame !??* This shows how truly daft it is to conjure up petty arguments between the different styles and tempos of Soul music. It's all just too fabulous to squabble over!

*Thanks to Niall Crowley's terrific phone interview with this vastly underrated singer.

Thanks for the mention. Talking of Margie Alexander, I remember driving down the fast lane of the M5 listening to Margie Alexander on my CD player and thinking 'if I crash and burn now, what better a sound track could I do it to?' Yes I'm pretty morbid at times but I had this picture in my mind: my upturned burning mangled wreck lying of the middle of the motorway, a 30 mile tail back, wheels smoking and spinning, and 'What'cha Tryin' To Do To Me' still playing on the radio. One fireman turns to his mate and says 'wow that's a nice tune. I never heard that before'.

The opposite of this has happened to me far more often. I'm in somebody else's car - usually a nutter with terrible taste in music. Something truly awful is playing and we're bombing down the fast lane, swerving about and I'm thinking 'please god, I really don't want to die to this record. Can we just wait for the next track, it might be a bit better.'

Hey this could make an interesting thread. Something along the lines of 'What song would you be content to die to and what would you most hate to be playing when you kick the bucket?' or maybe not. Thanks for all the great contributions anyway.

Niall

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Howard Tate-Tjese are some of the things-Turntable

BAZ A

Great record (Ya jus' gotta LOVE that Howard Tate!) :lol: Have you got "Ain't Got Nobody To Give It To" on Epic (1974)? Fantastic ballad.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!