Favourite Soul Ballads

Reg

tough one to call but one that does it for me is

"Summer Comes Along " ...by the late Daryl Pediford on Kryptonite Records out of NYC.

It was written by DP and he played the Saxophone solo on it. Absolutely awesome. produced by James "Booty" Neal. 4:15 minutes of indie soul heaven.

The Man In Black

This is a brilliant record: maybe one of the very best 80s indies. Like a Randy Brown record only better. Sad that he's no longer with us, but I'm glad that he managed to make a decent living with that strange classical rock group whose name escapes me at the moment: it was something like the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Social source share

Thanks for the mention. Talking of Margie Alexander, I remember driving down the fast lane of the M5 listening to Margie Alexander on my CD player and thinking 'if I crash and burn now, what better a sound track could I do it to?' Yes I'm pretty morbid at times but I had this picture in my mind: my upturned burning mangled wreck lying of the middle of the motorway, a 30 mile tail back, wheels smoking and spinning, and 'What'cha Tryin' To Do To Me' still playing on the radio. One fireman turns to his mate and says 'wow that's a nice tune. I never heard that before'.

The opposite of this has happened to me far more often. I'm in somebody else's car - usually a nutter with terrible taste in music. Something truly awful is playing and we're bombing down the fast lane, swerving about and I'm thinking 'please god, I really don't want to die to this record. Can we just wait for the next track, it might be a bit better.'

Hey this could make an interesting thread. Something along the lines of 'What song would you be content to die to and what would you most hate to be playing when you kick the bucket?' or maybe not. Thanks for all the great contributions anyway.

Niall

Should also mention Margie's fantastic Atlantic 45 Can I Be Your Main Thing. I don't know if it's been posted in the various Southern or Deep threads, but it deserves to be heard. It was a very popular spin at the George Jackson nights in London a few years ago, along with pretty much all her output.

Social source share

Thanks for the mention. Talking of Margie Alexander, I remember driving down the fast lane of the M5 listening to Margie Alexander on my CD player and thinking 'if I crash and burn now, what better a sound track could I do it to?' Yes I'm pretty morbid at times but I had this picture in my mind: my upturned burning mangled wreck lying of the middle of the motorway, a 30 mile tail back, wheels smoking and spinning, and 'What'cha Tryin' To Do To Me' still playing on the radio. One fireman turns to his mate and says 'wow that's a nice tune. I never heard that before'.

The opposite of this has happened to me far more often. I'm in somebody else's car - usually a nutter with terrible taste in music. Something truly awful is playing and we're bombing down the fast lane, swerving about and I'm thinking 'please god, I really don't want to die to this record. Can we just wait for the next track, it might be a bit better.'

Hey this could make an interesting thread. Something along the lines of 'What song would you be content to die to and what would you most hate to be playing when you kick the bucket?' or maybe not. Thanks for all the great contributions anyway.

Niall

Nial ave you been taking them funny tablets again.. :rolleyes: ..or smoking that wakky bakky.. :lol: ....if so...can you get me some :lol: ....... :P

Social source share

Guest mel brat

God, that is wonderful...went and got a copy of the Album after hearing this...thanks for putting it up Joan. :lol:

Phyllis

It's nice, but if that gives you goosebumps, just take a listen to the Gladys Knight version! - it'll wipe you out completely! Up there with her very best records, in my opinion - and that's sayin' something!.

(Could someone post up a soundclip of this magnificent track please, for anyone who hasn't heard it? It's the flip to the original release of "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me". Thanks)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Carl Hall - You Don't Know Nothing About Love

Carl Hall - yet another criminally neglected Soul talent. What a voice! (Song also done by Lorraine Ellison on her "Stay With Me" LP)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

HOW GOOD.

chris :g:

...as good as it gets Chris!!! ya know my dream would be to see Little Anthony over here showcasing a weekender, can you imagine the reaction he'd get bursting into "Better Use Your Head" The man has enough material to do the whole show, and still has the vocal ability to sound as good as he did back in the 60's. IMHO a true Giant of the music world

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!