Post Stafford Classics

• Replies 500
  • Views 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Surely this thread is nigh on impossible (except for the borrowed funk and modern stuff) as surely most things were played somewhere up to and including Stafford?...even if it was only once?

Ok I will try a couple but they will probably fit into my previous categories :D

Delegates of Soul

Barbara Mason -You better stop

Pat and the Blenders...this is a big unsure???

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Surely this thread is nigh on impossible (except for the borrowed funk and modern stuff) as surely most things were played somewhere up to and including Stafford?

No Reg lots of stuff was too slow to play back in the day and other struff wasn't played until post 85. some may have been known by collectors etc.

Social source share

Okay quick run by while waiting in coffee cue

Donnie Burdick Candle In The Window

Colin Law at his peak, dance floor rocking, hands clapping, mad Scotsmen chanting Soul. I was off course at side stroking my chin in time.

Lost more records from Colin in that period, trying to think when, also lots of Allanton records although not sure they count as huge, 2 from me I would suggest

Soulful Twins - Can't Let You Go and Tears - Good Luck My Love

Also Magnetics I Have A Girl would only became popular after Stafford, would it have not, trust me I used to ask Butch to play it enough!!

come think son....think son!!

Social source share

what dont you understand about the fact i stated they were both played in the 70s and 80s and yes- love comes knockin- is great but i prefer to listen to it on vinyl rather than cd

Hi Tony

The CD holds more sound info than the record has got on it and its stereo as well, I will dig it out and send it to you.

Tony.

Social source share

My memories not great but I kind of remember Kitch taking a copy with him to a nighter for Karl. But I can't seem to remember Kitch playing it out :D

I think I need some ginko biloba

Fred and Turbines, c/u as Teen Turbans "Say you love me"

Kitch played this for sure at Shotts, Blackburn era.

Social source share

No Reg lots of stuff was too slow to tplay back in the day and other struff wasn't played until post 85. some may have been known by collectors etc.

Okay maybe there are a few I admit but if you really scrutinised it I bet a lot of em have been played somewhere before 1987?.....oh hang on but if I think again I think I'm getting my dates wrong cos Im thinking of places like Parkers,Tonys.100 etc but of course that's after innit :D I'm thinking I'm older than I am, he he :thumbsup:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Thornton Sisters "I Keep forgettin'"

Walter Wilson "Love keep me crying"

Wes Oliver "Keep the faith"

Joan Baker "Everybodys Talkin" ( Bettty Lavette and The Big Wheel c/u)

Out-A-Sights "For the rest of my life" (Sammy Cambell and the Del Larks c/u)

Debonaires "Please come back baby" (Johnny Moffet and the Tempos c/u)

James Wesley Smith "Talkin' bout women"

Four Larks "You need love" Virtue acetate

Lonnette "Blue Jeans" (Thelma Lavern Come back someday c/u)

What about the Michigan Move did Guy first play that after Stafford?

Charmaines "Standing in the need of love" April & Blackwood acetate

Maxine Brown "Torture"

Corrections welcome if requied, I missed Stafford by a year!

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

just thought of a few more-----

DISTRICTS-ONE LOVER

HAL MILLER ON MY OWN TWO FEET

YVONNE CARROLL-PLEASE DONT GO

V.I.PS-STRANGE LITTLE GIRL[CHAUMONTS C/UP-DEAN A,. AND KITCH]

DEL-LARKS -OUT WITH THE IN CROWD

EXPLOSIVE DYNAMIKS-WHOLE LOTTA LOVING[VIBRATIONS C/UP-R. MARRIOTT]

DREAM TEAM

MAYFIELD SINGERS-DONT START NONE

CARL UNDERWOOD -YOU AINT LYING

VOLUMES-IVE NEVER BEEN SO IN LOVE

KAE WILLIAMS-OUR LOVE IS DYING :D:thumbsup:

PAUL KELLY -THE UPSET

BOSS FOUR-WALKING BY[FASCINATORS C/UP-BUTCH]

ANITA ANDERSON-A LITLE BIT LONGER[D.C. BLOSSOMS C/UP]

JOHNNY MCRAE-I LIKE THAT GIRL

ITHACAS-IF YOU WANT MY LOVE-[AMBASSADORS C/UP-R. MARRIOTT]

HANK HODGE-ONE DAY LOVE[LOU D. WASHINGTON C/UP]

MR LUCKY-I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU

GENO WASHINGTON-OH BABY[ACETATE-PETE LOWRIE]

Social source share

Stafford Working Mens Club & Mansfield Swan, Jim Wensiora sold up, then Keb played it.

Mansfield Swan..............was that "Soul Power Soul Club"??...................if so, that's filled a gap for me, as I spent my 21st birthday at a nighter in Mansfield (late Nov '87), but could never remember the name of the place, just that it was "Soul Power Soul Club" as I recall............seem to recall a dingy, low ceiling place?? I was very drunk though..........it was an impromtu visit :D:thumbsup:

Tales to tell from that night as I was with some characters!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Mansfield Swan..............was that "Soul Power Soul Club"??...................if so, that's filled a gap for me, as I spent my 21st birthday at a nighter in Mansfield (late Nov '87), but could never remember the name of the place, just that it was "Soul Power Soul Club" as I recall............seem to recall a dingy, low ceiling place?? I was very drunk though..........it was an impromtu visit :D:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

============

WAS THAT THE NIGHT WHEN ONE GUY WAS WEARING FLIPPERS!!!!!

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

Certainly was Mark, Rob Marriots Nighter, used to love it here, hammering it up from Pompey in Ray Gillens works van........then Reggae all the way home, used to kill me n Dicky. As I remember was some good Modern played too, altho' I cant remember who by ???????.

Russ

Russ

Social source share

============

Dunno Mark...........it felt like I was wearing flippers mate by the time I got there after lots of pints of Nuneaton's finest :D:thumbsup:

I remember feeling the same at a Loughbrough niter at the town hall..............maybe that was another birthday :ohmy:

Sorry for going O/T Russ.............back on track fellas

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I don't think records like Garland's Ain't That good Enough or Girl I Love You got played until the 80s. john Edwards versions of Ain't That and How Can I Go On Without You certainly didn't.

I played "Girl I Love You" in the mid 70's (76/77 definately) Ady.

Don't think I was the first either, although many favoured the flipside (40 Days & Nights) at the time as it was more uptempo and more suited to what was happenin' (but not more suited to my playlist o' course).

Had a copy of "Ain't That Good Enough" around the same time too, but ever don't remember playing it, favouring G I L Y whenever I dropped a GG track!

:D

Sean

Social source share

Jokers - Soul Sounds - Sko Field (Rob M)

=====================================================

Cant remember Rob ever having the Jokers as far as i am aware it was discovered in the 90,s

by Stevie Z & Neil Brown on a trip Stateside Stevie played it to me when he came back

and a couple months later Neil traded me his copy which i played out at the rarest of the rare niter

at the Ritz Manchester after i played it both Butch and Andy Rix asked me what it was and i showed them

it, later that year i sold that copy to Ginger Taylor and got another copy later that month off George Rouse

who found it at Times Square records New York i traded my Tomangoes with George for it gggrrr

Regards Ian Cunliffe

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Social source share

I played "Girl I Love You" in the mid 70's (76/77 definately) Ady.

Don't think I was the first either, although many favoured the flipside (40 Days & Nights) at the time as it was more uptempo and more suited to what was happenin' (but not more suited to my playlist o' course).

Had a copy of "Ain't That Good Enough" around the same time too, but ever don't remember playing it, favouring G I L Y whenever I dropped a GG track!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Whoops, that's slightly bolloxed my sleevenotes. At least they were half right. i thought 40 nights was the side to be spun early. was yours just at local dos or big uns?

Social source share

Thornton Sisters "I Keep forgettin'"

Walter Wilson "Love keep me crying"

Wes Oliver "Keep the faith"

Joan Baker "Everybodys Talkin" ( Bettty Lavette and The Big Wheel c/u)

Out-A-Sights "For the rest of my life" (Sammy Cambell and the Del Larks c/u)

Debonaires "Please come back baby" (Johnny Moffet and the Tempos c/u)

James Wesley Smith "Talkin' bout women"

Four Larks "You need love" Virtue acetate

Lonnette "Blue Jeans" (Thelma Lavern Come back someday c/u)

What about the Michigan Move did Guy first play that after Stafford?

Charmaines "Standing in the need of love" April & Blackwood acetate

Maxine Brown "Torture"

Corrections welcome if requied, I missed Stafford by a year!

Kebs floorfillers, from echoes,not sure when, think it was summer 86.

post-225-1220083575_thumb.jpg

Social source share

anyone got a sound file of the Shirelles and Sammy Ambrose :thumbsup:

No 7 is of course Walter`Wilson. When the tapes were discovered that's the name they had on it. It wasn't til later that the record turned up they found that the tapes had the wrong name on. A piece of trivia.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

It was, Andy Dyson probably the first I remember spinning this at the Hoist in Conisboro that Andy and Rod ran.

Great venue the Hoist. to coin Garethx's phrase, a nailed on monster from that venue was Little Anthony's 'Never again'.

Back on the Newsound's, wasn't that pre-Stafford - I had it in me collection well before the Conisboro days. And I'm sure I remember it played covered up as Darrell Banks late Wigan or maybe Clifton Hall. Prob wrong as I'm not great with dates and venues - it's all a blur at times :thumbsup:

Social source share

============

My mate Lennie (rip) he wore them all the way there from Clapham on the train and back,he had a tin hat too with bomber brigade on the front.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest hudsoul

i think the --shirelles-he put the hurt on me --was unissued sure its on an old kent lp,,version of TRADE MARTIN,,,yeah just looked its on SOPHISTICATED SOUNDS lp.title on that is YOU CAN BE MY REMEDY....

HERES A FEW MORE POST STAFFORD TRACKS[i THINK??]-

BILLY SOL-TIME TIME[DEAN ANDERSON]

DEON JACKSON-SOMEDAY THE SUN WILL SHINE[ACETATE]

TOMMY GOOD-I GOTTA GET AWAY[ACETATE]

JOE VALENTINE-I LOST THE ONLY THING I EVER HAD

AD-LIBS-LOVES KNOCKING AT MY HEART[ACETATE-SHIFTY]

CLARA HARDY+MAGICTONES-ITS YOU??[ACETATE SHIFTY.NOW BUTCH I THINK??]

BOGIS CHIMES -I THINK YOULL FIND[DETROIT SOUL C/UP-SAUS]

BRENDA HOLLAWAY-THRILL OF ROMANCE[ADEY C]

JEAN CARTER-I WANNA KNOW[bUTCH]

MAGICIANS-FAITH AND UNDERSTANDING

DEREK MARTIN-FLASHBACK :lol:

GREY INPRINT-THE MESSAGE[LOU PRIDE C/UP-SHIFTY/BUTCH]

HELEN SHAPIRO-HE KNOWS HOW TO LOVE ME

WILIE HAWKINS/ROSEMARY MCCOY-SWITCH AROUND

SOUL BROS INC-TEARDROPS

PEGGY GAINES-WHEN THE BOY THAT YOU LOVE

SAN FRANSISCAN TKOS-MAKE UP YOUR MIND

JOHNNIE MAE MATHEWS -I HAVE NO CHOICE

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I think we could also add:

Montclaires-Hey You-Arch....(I know............. played once at the Mecca, but wasnt really played out until more recently).

Big Daddy Rogers - Im a Big Man-Midas

Elipsis-People-Briarmeade

Melvin Brown & James Matthews - Love Stormy Weather - Philmore Sound

Patience Valentine - If you don't come - Sar

Keni Lewis - Not the Marrying Kind

Gerri Grainger-Why Cant it Be Tonight

Lenny Williams-Gotta Lotta Luv-Krush

Russ

played at stafford by dave greet

Social source share

I've the worst memory in the world but

Many classics post Stafford came about by simply flipping tunes made popular at TOTW,

eg Jack Montgomery, Tangeers etc.

How about

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe

Little Ann - Who Are you trying To Fool

Purple Mundi

Soul Set - Will You Ever Learn

Brand New Faces - B N F

True Image - Not over you yet

Martha reeves - Noone There

Oxford knights - We can make it.

Some of those may have been Stafford too.

Plus the Luther Ingram one that Ady plays. I dont get it, but everyone else raves about it, and it fills the 100 club floor every time.

spun by guy & keb at stafford

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert