Soul Police - The Charge Sheet

Maybe people have just lightened up a little. A good thing. There are far more pressing issues in the world.

Personally, I think DJs who have original records should be given preference over someone with a load of reissues, and bootlegs should never be played out or even bought.

I wouldnt even try and DJ at a Rare Soul night with re-issues or cds as I wouldnt want to incur the wrath of the Soul Squad.I might mock the vinyl etiquette but I understand it to a degree but I dont fully agree with it.

Personally as long as its a legal pressing original or reissue Ive no problem with it being played out. Im too busy dancing or listening to the record to give a toss.

A lot of the original only etiquette has lot more to do with egos than the enjoyment of music as far as I can see.

I now await the usual strong rebuking for holding this position that I have encountered in the past.

Andy, your post seems a little contradictory in that you would give preference to those dj's who stick with the rules then mention egos.

Think of a current record you love but hardly ever hear played by one of your favourite djs and how you travel miles just to hear it out.

Then the record on the back of good dancefloor reaction is re-released every wannabee dj now owns it, you'r sick of hearing it, now you travel miles just to avoid it.

PC Vinyl

Social source share

• Replies 240
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Think of a current record you love but hardly ever hear played by one of your favourite djs and how you travel miles just to hear it out.

Then the record on the back of good dancefloor reaction is re-released every wannabee dj now owns it, you'r sick of hearing it, now you travel miles just to avoid it.

PC Vinyl

That just smacks of exclusivety to me...Yes I agree...noone wants to hear their favourite record on a KFC advert but as far as playing a record out...whenever I DJ I want as many people as possible to hear great music...not just a small number of conneseurs...now in an ideal world everyone would have originals...and I suppose on the serious Northern scene that will ALWAYS be the case...but alot of DJs will play out various genres of music in bars/clubs in their catchment area...and I think in THIS environment it is perfectly acceptable to play reissues...saying that my reissues are now as we speak gathering cobwebs in the corner :lol::P:(

Social source share

Andy, your post seems a little contradictory in that you would give preference to those dj's who stick with the rules then mention egos.

PC Vinyl

The Soul Police exist only in the minds of people who worry that their own views/opinions are dodgy compared to the normal, right thinking ovo purists imo. :lol:

Social source share

PC Vinyl

Brian Ellis point number 8

Social source share

The Soul Police exist only in the minds of people who worry that their own views/opinions are dodgy compared to the normal, right thinking ovo purists imo. :lol:

Brian Ellis point number 11 :P

Social source share

Guest rachel

You mean - these people who have never bought a reissue, never dance or sing along to an oldie, only go out to look at matrix numbers and certainly not to have fun... they're not real?! I've been aspiring to that for years :P:(

Social source share

Soul Police...Fashion Police...it's been around for years :rolleyes::lol:

It really is funny though some of the Soul Police on here will be looking at this thread and say to themselves..."That's me that is" actually proud of the fact.

But hey what do I know...as one of the Police pointed out to me...it's an ingrained inferiority complex I have :rolleyes::lol::lol:

The only reason these mythical soul police would be after you would be for perjury, giving false statements and impersonation of somebody who knows more than they really do.

All horrendous crimes in my book.

Social source share

The only reason these mythical soul police would be after you would be for perjury, giving false statements and impersonation of somebody who knows more than they really do.

Talk of the devil.... :rolleyes:

Social source share

but alot of DJs will play out various genres of music in bars/clubs in their catchment area...and I think in THIS environment it is perfectly acceptable to play reissues

No it's not. And on behalf of those who think it's not......

"If it has to be explained, then you don't understand"......

Aye, a ba57ardly & conceited thing to say, but there you go.........

Even in the local Darby & Joan Club Disco club on a wet thursday night there are enough quality original tunes to play. We're talking 40 years of black music for god's sake!!

Beeks! There are so so so so so so many ORIGINAL & FANTASTIC records out there that YOU can play and stamp YOUR own name/personality on! You don't have to resort to being a lame follower who plays the latest re-issue/carver/blag of Butch's/Sam's etc latest cover-up, just cos they "Want to be Wayne Rooney or I'll take my ball home" and have a reassuringly easy full floor. My mam can do that! (and she is available for bookings....)

As far as I've read on here, you're pretty new to all this lark. If that's true (and I apologise if I've read it wrong and you ain't) then you have the opportunity to be an integral part of mapping out the future of this crazy scene. And being your own man with your own 'all-originals' tunes. Be they worth £5 or £500.

The future is (possibly) bright! The future is (possibly) Beeks!

Anyway, time for my tablet and lie down........... Nurse!

Steve

The Sweeney

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I swear to God! honest govener!

have a look on said site. the thread was something about acatates and a well know DJ actually contradites himself throughout saying that only orig vinyl should be allowed to be played out. five minutes later he is making the hypocritical statements that it was 'agreed' they could play carvers/boots so long as they had orig in box (this helped preserve the orig!!!! :rolleyes: )

i was signed in as wiganjoker (and as a few guests) just to wind the situation up. he was going off his head each time his hypocrosy was pointed out.

all bloody hypocritical and elitism in my opinion as boots/carvers have been around since the scene began.

IMHO the soul police are born from those afraid that others will do better spots than them and their egos will be dented :lol:

I played at one gig where i played all orig vinyl (and one re-issue) and tried to give the crowd something different from the same old top 500. have a guess which record had the floor PACKED :rolleyes:

I have also seen another thread on here where a well known venue that you would think the soul police would be out in full force (including helicopters) and an extremely well known DJ is photographed playing CD's :lol:

bloody SOUL POLICE amount to nothing more than elitise egotistical anal-retentives :lol:

there now, thats made me a few friends on here :no:

Was it Do i Love You?.

Social source share

Jockos actually the Oracle of Soul...he's Marvin Gayes bastard child...brought up on the breast milk of Marlena Shaw and programmed by a super soul computer devised by the greatest Soul minds in the World coupled with Barry Whites sweat Glands...

He's like the Jennifer Lopez of the Soul scene...He used to have a little now he's got alot

He's on first name basis with all those A-listing DJs mainly due to A-Listing...or is that A-Licking his way to the top....

And he knows every serial number known to man...in fact...you just try buying Asdas own brand beans when Jockos about...has to be original....you can hear him muttering behind you

"That's not Heinz beans...this guy is a joke...knows Fook all about beans....mumble mumble"

Everyone aspires to be him

I know I do :rolleyes:

Social source share

Jockos actually the Oracle of Soul...he's Marvin Gayes bastard child...brought up on the breast milk of Marlena Shaw and programmed by a super soul computer devised by the greatest Soul minds in the World coupled with Barry Whites sweat Glands...

He's like the Jennifer Lopez of the Soul scene...He used to have a little now he's got alot

He's on first name basis with all those A-listing DJs mainly due to A-Listing...or is that A-Licking his way to the top....

And he knows every serial number known to man...in fact...you just try buying Asdas own brand beans when Jockos about...has to be original....you can hear him muttering behind you

"That's not Heinz beans...this guy is a joke...knows Fook all about beans....mumble mumble"

I always think posts like this are much better if they're funny. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Was it Do i Love You?.

does it matter what the record is? the Soul Police laws are either a categorical imperitive; if not it is sheer hypocrocy

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

No it's not. And on behalf of those who think it's not......

"If it has to be explained, then you don't understand"......

Aye, a ba57ardly & conceited thing to say, but there you go.........

Even in the local Darby & Joan Club Disco club on a wet thursday night there are enough quality original tunes to play. We're talking 40 years of black music for god's sake!!

Beeks! There are so so so so so so many ORIGINAL & FANTASTIC records out there that YOU can play and stamp YOUR own name/personality on! You don't have to resort to being a lame follower who plays the latest re-issue/carver/blag of Butch's/Sam's etc latest cover-up, just cos they "Want to be Wayne Rooney or I'll take my ball home" and have a reassuringly easy full floor. My mam can do that! (and she is available for bookings....)

As far as I've read on here, you're pretty new to all this lark. If that's true (and I apologise if I've read it wrong and you ain't) then you have the opportunity to be an integral part of mapping out the future of this crazy scene. And being your own man with your own 'all-originals' tunes. Be they worth £5 or £500.

The future is (possibly) bright! The future is (possibly) Beeks!

Anyway, time for my tablet and lie down........... Nurse!

Steve

The Sweeney

If you'd have attached the rest of the post you'd see I agree with you...but my mates play across the board music not just soul...like me...I come from a contemp soul/reggae/hip hop and to be honest none of my DJ friends give a rats arse what medium it is on...they just play it...as far as northern is concerned ive been into the more commercial/scooter rally side of the scene for years but only just started heavily getting into it within the last 6 months or so...but im collecting a decent amount of originals now :rolleyes:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

:lol: But if you read Jocko's avatar Beeks, you'll see that he openly states his origin as being "from the land of the cynic" so cut the poor basta*d child (of Marvin Gaye) some slack! :rolleyes:

Social source share

I always think posts like this are much better if they're funny. :rolleyes:

Whats really funny Steve is that you hang onto my every word...between you and Jocko you just love following me round like lapdogs...and i'm truelly touched :rolleyes:

Social source share

Was it Do i Love You?.

just seen the underlining - very mature comment soulmaguk :rolleyes:

it was a legal re-issue (not FW) and the floor was packed - the only neg comment i have recieved is that at some point i need to get these legal re-issues out of my box - the mind boggles :rolleyes:

Social source share

Would you like to show me where I said any of the above or even implied any of the above. I prefer evidence to half assed ranting.

My only crime seems to be to point out your distance from the truth, all of which can be proved by just reading on here, and if you had been around for more than 10 minutes you would know its my pet hate.

At least its not your usual personal insults, or not as bad, so hopefully these wont be deleted so you can proclaim your innocence at some later date.

I know a little about something of which there is lots to know, I like sharing that little, its fairly well documented on here, if that makes me this beast you make me out to be above, we are, thankfully, from very different scenes.

I want to know lots one day, sadly there is too much to know and too little time to realistically achieve that. What I do know is what is right and what made this scene great, if people don't believe in that anymore, or want to knock people who do, great on you go. Carry on. Its not my world,

Stuart sorry for contributing to the downfall of what was a funny starting point, thankfully your understanding if irony probably doesn't need smileys to emphasise it so might find humour in what has gone on in later stages of thread.

Oh and to correct what you said at start, I didn't say you had an inferiority complex, quite the opposite, I was saying you should have!

Social source share

What I do know is what is right...

PLEASE REFER TO POST #44

p.s. i know Tim Smithers well enough to know he is telling the truth about his concience :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Social source share

Stuart sorry for contributing to the downfall of what was a funny starting point, thankfully your understanding if irony probably doesn't need smileys to emphasise it so might find humour in what has gone on in later stages of thread.

Oh and to correct what you said at start, I didn't say you had an inferiority complex, quite the opposite, I was saying you should have!

More intrigued by the avatar Jocko - gota flyer of a show in EDinburgh on life of Esther Philips - is that it, did you see the show? Would the Soul Police have give it a licence. Started thread becasue I think a bit of policing of standards is no bad thing. Originals even smell better. :rolleyes:

Social source share

PLEASE REFER TO POST #44

p.s. i know Tim Smithers well enough to know he is telling the truth about his concience :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why?

Read what I said and you will see I obviously have referred to post 44, although very quickly as it feels like grouhndhog day reading it. This is getting tiresome now, been done before a billion times read what Steve Womble says. "You get it or you dont" enough of us believe this not to be bothered by people outwith that scope.

You carry on in your world, I will carry on in mines. Hopefully your way gets you the 10 minutes of fame you want, then enjoy the next big thing when it comes along.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

PC Vinyl

Hi Danny :rolleyes:

We are never fully going to agree on this one. We have thrashed it out a few times before. Yes I have a slightly contradcictory attitude I know. If I was a promoter I would give preference to someone DJ ing with original vinyl in that they went to the hassle of sourcing all the original vinyl but then again what is original vinyl as to many an original album isnt the original release even if released before the 45. Its still about ego though but I dont mean that in a bad way I can kind of understand it. For me an album is original. Anyway we have been down this road before and Im afraid its a roundabout.

I dont care that much I rarely ever DJ and buy almost all original vinyl and some re-issues for my own pleasure and god forgive me but I even buy CDs.

Hopefully see you down Sleepless at the Christmas do. It was a cracker last year.

Best,

Andy

Social source share

More intrigued by the avatar Jocko - gota flyer of a show in EDinburgh on life of Esther Philips - is that it, did you see the show? Would the Soul Police have give it a licence. Started thread becasue I think a bit of policing of standards is no bad thing. Originals even smell better. :rolleyes:

I helped put it on Stuart, I was co-producer (fancy word for lugging a lot of sound equipment up and down stairs and helping with the arranging etc), it was me and a pal that were JBShows.

It was superb even though I say so myself, sold out Saturday, almost Friday, and hopefully did what we intended, introduced Esther to a far wider audience, we and Esther got great feedback at end of it.

On first night a guy came along who was at TV festival and said he had produced her very last UK show (old white haired guy from London who used to produce World In Action and did some Gospel show on radio) and said our show was better, sure he was just being nice but it was a nice touch.

I did email you details a while ago but think must have your wrong mail, was going to send you a ticket to get your professional opinion, as assumed you might be through for TV do,

Yes the smell of originals, now what about the smell of acetates...................

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

as a promoter i'd be in favour of a soul sharia law system for those playing bootlegs , re-issues or playing an album just cos the 45 is expensive ..... i'd start with fingers then move onto various other appendages for repeat offenders .

if you are one of said people sod off and get another hobby or buy originals ........... totally black and white :rolleyes:

Davie

Social source share

If you'd have attached the rest of the post you'd see I agree with you...but my mates play across the board music not just soul...like me...I come from a contemp soul/reggae/hip hop and to be honest none of my DJ friends give a rats arse what medium it is on...they just play it...as far as northern is concerned ive been into the more commercial/scooter rally side of the scene for years but only just started heavily getting into it within the last 6 months or so...but im collecting a decent amount of originals now :D

exactly you and your mates aren't from a Northern Soul background, you have no history and by the looks of some of your statements no idea at times about Northern Soul. Maybe you should be better off keeping your mouth closed a bit more and learning a bit more before getting involved in stupid arguments with people who have been there, done it, worn the t-shirt out, even had beer spilt down it :D

Social source share

what is original vinyl as to many an original album isnt the original release even if released before the 45.

Andy

Andy it's dead easy as far as i'm concerned......

"OFO" - "Original Format Only" (including c.d.!!)

Then again, that's only the map that I try to navigate by personally! It's each to their own after all.........

Steve

Social source share

It was superb even though I say so myself, sold out Saturday, almost Friday, and hopefully did what we intended, introduced Esther to a far wider audience, we and Esther got great feedback at end of it.

On first night a guy came along who was at TV festival and said he had produced her very last UK show (old white haired guy from London who used to produce World In Action and did some Gospel show on radio) and said our show was better, sure he was just being nice but it was a nice touch.

He was the guy that handed me the flyer at the EICC - wish I'd seen that.

Social source share

as a promoter i'd be in favour of a soul sharia law system for those playing bootlegs , re-issues or playing an album just cos the 45 is expensive ..... i'd start with fingers then move onto various other appendages for repeat offenders .

if you are one of said people sod off and get another hobby or buy originals ........... totally black and white :D

Davie

Totally agree Davie (with the principle if not the punishment!).

Shame I'm as far away from Dundee as I am - would be good to visit one of your nights.

Best,

John.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Imagine this scenario.

One hundred years from now there is almost no playable vinyl left of Soul Music.

Vinyl itself is a completley obsolete format due to the depletion of Oil reserves around the 2080's.

Even CDS disappeared completlely around the 2040's as they also are an environmentally unsustainable format.

Sometime during the 2020's the few remaining Soul fans began to create vast databases of Rare Soul music and place them on the internet so that future generations could share them.

There were shrill condemnations of this apostasy from some of the Soul elders passing away their days in state nursing homes many of them not talking to each other since several of them were seen with a few CDs in their collections even though they didnt play them out. For them its original vinyl only even if it means the music dies with them.

And then there was still the Modern and Northern split that many still were not over since the 1970's.

Now some time about the 2050's, years after all the original Soul fans had died off, many young people were turned on to old Soul Music after having seen an old film from 2008 called Souled Out.

Many of the elders had also fallen out over this film and trying to put it on the DVD player in the Soul retirement home was always a contentious issue.

Some of these youngsters mimicked the dance styles and etiquette of the Soul Scene that had passed on. However the one thing that separated them from the original scene was that there were no records or decks.

To be a DJ you just had to have a love and wide knowledge of what was available on the Soul Database. The decks were replaced by tiny computers that could instantly access hundreds of thousands of tunes instantly that could be pumped through state of the art sound systems.

However these clubs only lasted a short time and the incipient Soul scene of the 2050's never rose to the heights and notoriety it could have.

This was due to the fact that strange supernatural phenomena started to occur at these clubs. The computer decks would explode and lights flicker on and off and dancers would be flung across the floor with a great force.

But the most disturbing feature of these strange occurences was that the haunting voices of hundreds of people could be heard bellowing from beyond the grave: "ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY EVEN IF THERE IS NONE LEFT."

The Soul Police will never die. They will always find you.

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

He was the guy that handed me the flyer at the EICC - wish I'd seen that.

Really interesting guy, about music and TV, we took him for a drink after show. We invited him back on Friday/Saturday but he thought the timing coincided with quite a lot of stuff.

One funny story, and this might invoke the TV rights policeman in you, we had one very small clip of quite a famous Esther Phillips film piece and afterwards he said we did really well getting the rights to something like that, I think he realised by our gaping mouths we hadn't quite filled that form in!! Don't go sending the now redundant Brookside heavies round to get us, it was an honest mistake guvnor!!

I assume you are not getting many Hibs fans contacting you today!! We were woeful.

Bringing it back on topic, we handed out flyers giving details of Esther's works and where you can buy her anthologies, and have links on the website, keeping it real, honest your honour.

Social source share

Didn't know about this Jocko.

Paul McCartney's favourite Beatle cover was Esther's And I Love Him.

Just Say Goodbye is simply wonderful. Some can't stand her voice, but for me

she's the singer to have come closest to Billie Holiday's perfect imperfection.

God rest her cottons...

Social source share

God rest her cottons...

And "From A Whisper To A Scream" is one of the greatest albums EVER. Wish I'd seen this show, twice in the same thread I've been in the wrong place........... Jocko, any plans for more?

Are we off topic or are they?

John.

Social source share

God rest her cottons...

You might just have stumbled on the clip we used without permission, but obviously can't say it out loud!! And its a stunning version by Esther, what we did with the clip was played the first 40 seconds on screen with Esther, then segued the live singer in. all 3 nights it was seamless and the hairs on the back of my neck just stood up, We had a fairly large soul crowd in on the Saturday and they all loved it.

You have just summed up her voice perfectly, thats just a brilliant way of articulating it. She is one of my all time favourite singers hence the show.

Just remember I never did CD's I promised you ages ago, sure I still have them in here.

Okay last off topic one, I amstarting to sound like one of these people who just want to talk about me, me, me. :D

Off to put up some Esther soundclips, keep me out of trouble,

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

God rest her cottons...

I agree Macca. Esther along with Margie Joseph are my favourite female vocalists.

Social source share

Imagine this scenario.

One hundred years from now there is almost no playable vinyl left of Soul Music.

Vinyl itself is a completley obsolete format due to the depletion of Oil reserves around the 2080's.

Even CDS disappeared completlely around the 2040's as they also are an environmentally unsustainable format.

Sometime during the 2020's the few remaining Soul fans began to create vast databases of Rare Soul music and place them on the internet so that future generations could share them.

There were shrill condemnations of this apostasy from some of the Soul elders passing away their days in state nursing homes many of them not talking to each other since several of them were seen with a few CDs in their collections even though they didnt play them out. For them its original vinyl only even if it means the music dies with them.

And then there was still the Modern and Northern split that many still were not over since the 1970's.

Now some time about the 2050's, years after all the original Soul fans had died off, many young people were turned on to old Soul Music after having seen an old film from 2008 called Souled Out.

Many of the elders had also fallen out over this film and trying to put it on the DVD player in the Soul retirement home was always a contentious issue.

Some of these youngsters mimicked the dance styles and etiquette of the Soul Scene that had passed on. However the one thing that separated them from the original scene was that there were no records or decks.

To be a DJ you just had to have a love and wide knowledge of what was available on the Soul Database. The decks were replaced by tiny computers that could instantly access hundreds of thousands of tunes instantly that could be pumped through state of the art sound systems.

However these clubs only lasted a short time and the incipient Soul scene of the 2050's never rose to the heights and notoriety it could have.

This was due to the fact that strange supernatural phenomena started to occur at these clubs. The computer decks would explode and lights flicker on and off and dancers would be flung across the floor with a great force.

But the most disturbing feature of these strange occurences was that the haunting voices of hundreds of people could be heard bellowing from beyond the grave: "ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY EVEN IF THERE IS NONE LEFT."

The Soul Police will never die. They will always find you.

Sci-fi and time travel are getting into every thread at the moment!

:D

Social source share