George Lemons

Guest Beeks

Just wondering if you knowledgable types have any info on the guy...Id like to know why he only seems to have Fascinating Girl in his repertoire when to me its one of the most stunning vocal performances ive heard...the guy has an amazing voice so why only the one release? Or has he released other stuff under a different name? :D

Thanks in advance

PS. If anyone has a copy for sale.....haha...joke....way way out of my league :P

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just wondering if you knowledgable types have any info on the guy...Id like to know why he only seems to have Fascinating Girl in his repertoire when to me its one of the most stunning vocal performances ive heard...the guy has an amazing voice so why only the one release? Or has he released other stuff under a different name? :D

Thanks in advance

PS. If anyone has a copy for sale.....haha...joke....way way out of my league :P

Story told to me by Ron Murphy was that the family put up all their monies to record some acts as well as himself. The New Metros tracks were recorded for Gold Soul (which came out on Soul King quite awhile ago) but the family ran out of money after Fascinating Girl went nowhere. They ended up on welfare and apparently had a shootout with the cops after an incident obtaining some medication for their mother. I think George ended up in jail afterwards.

I've paraphrased that as the story was told to me 15 years ago after having been on the road for two weeks on a buying trip. I think there is unissued stuff still but most his Jazz vocal style as George Lemons considered himself more a Jazz singer.

Gene

Social source share

Story told to me by Ron Murphy was that the family put up all their monies to record some acts as well as himself. The New Metros tracks were recorded for Gold Soul (which came out on Soul King quite awhile ago) but the family ran out of money after Fascinating Girl went nowhere. They ended up on welfare and apparently had a shootout with the cops after an incident obtaining some medication for their mother. I think George ended up in jail afterwards.

I've paraphrased that as the story was told to me 15 years ago after having been on the road for two weeks on a buying trip. I think there is unissued stuff still but most his Jazz vocal style as George Lemons considered himself more a Jazz singer.

Gene

Thanks Gene...what an incredible story...certainly wasn't expecting that! To be honest there is alot of hype about rare records but this one for me is worth every penny...it's a record i'd gladly save up for a couple of years for and might well do...I know it's rare but just how rare is it? Do they come up? Does anyone on here actually have a copy?

PS. Haha just done a search on SS for George...I gather PeteS is not his biggest fan...that's truelly shocking!!

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

To be honest there is alot of hype about rare records but this one for me is worth every penny...it's a record i'd gladly save up for a couple of years for and might well do...I know it's rare but just how rare is it? Do they come up? Does anyone on here actually have a copy?

A very unpopular record for the last few years. If you were ever going to get one this would probably be the time. A few have come up for sale so it's not impossible to get hold of one. You might pay about 1.5k for it though. Like i say rare, not mega rare, but not that popular so you never know...

I like it, just for the record. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Second

worst

record

ever

made

3rd now surely...

Carstairs

Joanne Touchstone

George Lemons

(i agree about the Carstairs btw)

Social source share

Gene

HI Gene, I though they were just careeer criminals (The Lemons ) with the mother being some sort of Ma Baker figure, and not very nice people. I had thought that they press ganged people into recording this record. I also thought they were doing time for murdering policeman, after a failed armed robbery.

However on reading your story sounds like maybe some artistic licence has been added by the time story has reached me. :huh: I never met Ron personally so any time I I heard the story was 2nd or 3rd hand.

Believe it made the press but just googled and nothing came up.

Whatever the story it is a truly awful record, with some of the worst vocals ever recorded, and just awful musical arrangement.

Social source share

I find it incredible that you can sit and slate the vocals on this track...I agree that the arrangement is not the greatest...the chords sound all wrong etc etc...but im sorry...that vocal for me is outstanding...he powers through it...the keys changes 'Fascinating in your eyes' is both original and pulled off with no effort at all...I'm amazed that this record is slated so badly...truelly amazed :huh:

Social source share

I think there is unissued stuff still but most his Jazz vocal style as George Lemons considered himself more a Jazz singer.

Interesting Gene, because I've always thought CABARET was his calling.

Always found it too tedious to my ears, but it would be nice for George to know that his record was appreciated by so many others.

m

Social source share

Just wondering if you knowledgable types have any info on the guy...Id like to know why he only seems to have Fascinating Girl in his repertoire when to me its one of the most stunning vocal performances ive heard...the guy has an amazing voice so why only the one release? Or has he released other stuff under a different name? :lol:

Thanks in advance

PS. If anyone has a copy for sale.....haha...joke....way way out of my league :huh:

I wish I was hearing some of the tracks you are now discovering for the first time. It must be magic.

have you got to george pepp on coleman yet ? another 45 I first heard around the time I first heard george lemons. There are plenty of bootleg CDs marketed around the stafford sound that feature a lot of these style of records.

Social source share

I wish I was hearing some of the tracks you are now discovering for the first time. It must be magic.

have you got to george pepp on coleman yet ? another 45 I first heard around the time I first heard george lemons. There are plenty of bootleg CDs marketed around the stafford sound that feature a lot of these style of records.

Cheers Dylan...to be honest I own very little in the way of CDs...i'm just building up at the moment a core of records I like that don't break the bank.. :lol:

Unfortunately alot of the records I love are stupid expensive...im cursed with expensive taste it seems :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting Gene, because I've always thought CABARET was his calling.

Always found it too tedious to my ears, but it would be nice for George to know that his record was appreciated by so many others.

m

spot on to my ears.A cabaret song.Never got the buzz on this one,but if it does it for you atm Beeks.............you'll learn :lol: . :thumbsup:

Social source share

Unfortunately alot of the records I love are stupid expensive...im cursed with expensive taste it seems :thumbsup:

welcome to the world of rare soul.

there are thousands of great cheap records but also more than enough very rare and expensive 45s. A big collection of CDs would be useful they certanly helped to get me started.

Social source share

spot on to my ears.A cabaret song.Never got the buzz on this one,but if it does it for you atm Beeks.............you'll learn :lol: . :thumbsup:

Each to their own I suppose Kev...I Dont know...I've come from a vocal background...sang on quite a few independent tracks as a session singer so I appreciate Mr Lemons efforts and personally I think he pulls it off...its not so much learning as knowing...yes my taste will undoubtably change...my taste is always changing haha but regardless of that make no mistake...this is a good record :D

Social source share

Each to their own I suppose Kev...I Dont know...I've come from a vocal background...sang on quite a few independent tracks as a session singer so I appreciate Mr Lemons efforts and personally I think he pulls it off...its not so much learning as knowing...yes my taste will undoubtably change...my taste is always changing haha but regardless of that make no mistake...this is a good record :lol:

ONCE A GOOD RECORD ALWAYS A GOOD RECORD FOR ME PERSONALLY, AND GEORGE LEMMONS WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME TO BUY IT :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

I find it incredible that you can sit and slate the vocals on this track...I agree that the arrangement is not the greatest...the chords sound all wrong etc etc...but im sorry...that vocal for me is outstanding...he powers through it...the keys changes 'Fascinating in your eyes' is both original and pulled off with no effort at all...I'm amazed that this record is slated so badly...truelly amazed :thumbsup:

totally agree mate i love the record, and have loved it since i first heard colin law play it some 16 years ago at shotts, i cant see wear the bad press is justified.

Social source share

ONCE A GOOD RECORD ALWAYS A GOOD RECORD FOR ME PERSONALLY, AND GEORGE LEMMONS WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME TO BUY IT :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

Lucky Man Bri...I'm sure ill pick one up eventually....just need that promotion in work haha :lol:

Social source share

Lucky Man Bri...I'm sure ill pick one up eventually....just need that promotion in work haha :thumbsup:

HI BEEKS, AM ONLY A PAINTER AND DECORATOR, BUT AM LUCKY (OR UNLUCKY DEPENDING ON THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS) TO COLLECT WITH MY BROTHER DAVE AND WE CLUB TOGETHER TO GET RECORDS LIKE THIS.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

HI BEEKS, AM ONLY A PAINTER AND DECORATOR, BUT AM LUCKY (OR UNLUCKY DEPENDING ON THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS) TO COLLECT WITH MY BROTHER DAVE AND WE CLUB TOGETHER TO GET RECORDS LIKE THIS.

BRI PINCH.

Great if it works...but i'll not go down that route...people can fall out...even family!! :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

George Lemons 'Fascinating Girl' is on 'The Northern Soul Story 15'.....Cheapest way to get it on vinyl (unless it came out as a 45 on Goldmine or Kent?).

It's also on the detroit lost soul series Goldmine did with some unissued stuff of his as well, Uphill Climb To The Bottom I think.

PS Apologies if already mentioned :thumbsup:

Social source share

HI Gene, I though they were just careeer criminals (The Lemons ) with the mother being some sort of Ma Baker figure, and not very nice people. I had thought that they press ganged people into recording this record. I also thought they were doing time for murdering policeman, after a failed armed robbery.

However on reading your story sounds like maybe some artistic licence has been added by the time story has reached me. :lol: I never met Ron personally so any time I I heard the story was 2nd or 3rd hand.

Believe it made the press but just googled and nothing came up.

Whatever the story it is a truly awful record, with some of the worst vocals ever recorded, and just awful musical arrangement.

Terra Shirma was a front for the brothers who set up paper companies and sold shares to get money. Sure I also read/heard they laundered money through the companies.

Dunno how Matt can say it's an unpopular record the last few years :thumbsup: It still commands a four figure sum and it has and still does pack the dance floor regardless of what some say about the record.

Social source share

I shall always be eternally grateful to Steve wagstaff for selling me this in 1989 love it the last 30 seconds are spine tingling

I 100% agree with you Ted .

I'd wanted this from whenever I first heard it . I just bloody obsessed about it .

And I had to wait many years to get one - and when I finally did it was worth waiting for - a minter .

And then I heard almost straight away that a well known dj and all round top guy on the scene has a spare gold soul bag ; so I immediately wanted to marry them up again after all those years [ no need to comment - I know how sad this makes me sound !]

We are still in friendly negotiations about that .

Fascinating Girl.............one of the top top niter sounds . [ imho ]

Social source share

I've always liked it myself (much to Jocks disgust!), also heard the Lemon brothers got life, a polieman shot during a failed robbery, after they had lost money buying Terra-Shirma, or did I imagne that?

The first time I heard this MONSTER TUNE (in one allnighter) was in Valencia when you play it. GREAT MOMENT!

See you soon!!!!! are you ready!? :D

Social source share

I find it incredible that you can sit and slate the vocals on this track...I agree that the arrangement is not the greatest...the chords sound all wrong etc etc...but im sorry...that vocal for me is outstanding...he powers through it...the keys changes 'Fascinating in your eyes' is both original and pulled off with no effort at all...I'm amazed that this record is slated so badly...truelly amazed unsure.gif

Hi Beeks,

It's obviously a record that you either love or hate. For me, I love it, hence I have one in my collection. While Georges vocals are good, I really like the arrangement too. Difficult to describe why, but its got that unrefined feel that does it for me, so much so that I sometime listen to just the instrumental b-side.

Perhaps I'm strange though. :lol:

Social source share

Hi Beeks,

It's obviously a record that you either love or hate. For me, I love it, hence I have one in my collection. While Georges vocals are good, I really like the arrangement too. Difficult to describe why, but its got that unrefined feel that does it for me, so much so that I sometime listen to just the instrumental b-side.

Perhaps I'm strange though. huh.gif

Hiya...what I can say is the breakdown at the end...as mentioned earlier in the thread...completely works for me...it's a fantastic record and one that I will definately purchase at some point...i'm quite jealous that so many people...even on this thread have a copy..hope you get as much pleasure playing it as I do listening to it on my MP3 :lol:

Social source share

Hiya...what I can say is the breakdown at the end...as mentioned earlier in the thread...completely works for me...it's a fantastic record and one that I will definately purchase at some point...i'm quite jealous that so many people...even on this thread have a copy..hope you get as much pleasure playing it as I do listening to it on my MP3 :lol:

This was on my wants list for a long time. I did see a few for sale during that time but always seemed to miss out, I finally got my copy this year. So don't be jealous as I'm sure you'll get your copy when the time is right. thumbup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert