Am I Wrong To Let This Bother Me?

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOD-MOTOWN-FRANK-WIL...id=p3286.c0.m14

Is it just me that gets wound up about stuff like this...

This record on Ebay is currently at £50 and the seller is saying that the record is a 1965 release... when surely it is a 1979 release..?

I know it should be 'buyer beware' but it seems wrong to me... :thumbup:

Afraid to say its not even a 1979 release - this is one of the many re-re-issues from RCA in the mid 80's

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

This record on Ebay is currently at £50 and the seller is saying that the record is a 1965 release... when surely it is a 1979 release..?

I know it should be 'buyer beware' but it seems wrong to me... :D

Wendy, you're a girl, you should be more worried about creepy crawlies etc.

Simon :thumbup:

Social source share

It's strange because there was that 45 (well, without the sunken rim around the perforated middle section which is how you tell it's an RCA copy) on ebay a few days back for a starting price of £40 (mint-ish) and no one touched it????? It was listed under RnB instead of Northern, wonder if that makes a difference?

With 3 days still to go on the Frenchies it's gonna go for a bit. Wish I'd bought the £40 and stuck it on ebay with some speel (1965 etc) :thumbup:

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

So are lots of things in this world, best action is "if you can't influence it don't worry about it". :thumbup:

Social source share

So are lots of things in this world, best action is "if you can't influence it don't worry about it". :thumbup:

True, very true, but it's crap anyway so why worry about it. Frank new that at the begining, thats why he blew the track away and only kept a couple of copies for himself, maybe for old times sake.

I shouls say "crap, imo"

Chris

Social source share

True, very true, but it's crap anyway so why worry about it. Frank new that at the begining, thats why he blew the track away and only kept a couple of copies for himself, maybe for old times sake.

I shouls say "crap, imo"

Chris

Frank Wilson kept a couple of copies? Is that tongue in cheek? If not don't think he did keep any copies. He offered Tim a large amount of money for a copy.

Social source share

Frank Wilson kept a couple of copies? Is that tongue in cheek? If not don't think he did keep any copies. He offered Tim a large amount of money for a copy.

That is what i understood to be the truth about the tune, thought it was purchased by a certain Wigan dj back in the day from F.W. But I am probably wrong.

Still crap though.

Social source share

That is what i understood to be the truth about the tune, thought it was purchased by a certain Wigan dj back in the day from F.W. But I am probably wrong.

Still crap though.

Was given/borrowed by Motown to Tom Dieperro who moved it onto Simon Soussan and then to Les McCutcheon. All the rest ordered by Gordy to be destroyed by the pressing plant as far as I'm aware.

Social source share

So where did Kenny Burrells copy (via Martin Koppell) come from?

Anyone know the story behind this

Also wasn't there a rumour about one turning up amongst a pile of Hip-Hop records in some record store?

sorry must have been typing together, apparently martin always said he had it but no one believed it untill he sold it.

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

second copy turned up in martin koppels collection so i heard,also heard of a 3rd copy turning up in chicago but never heard any more about this.

kev

the Chicago copy was a fake for a joke - they glued on the label and stuck it on the wall and waited to see if anyone noticed it...

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

the Chicago copy was a fake for a joke - they glued on the label and stuck it on the wall and waited to see if anyone noticed it...

That is a brilliant idea. You can imagine some British collector stumbling across an old shop in Chicago and having a heart attack when he saw it on the wall. Nice one. :sleep3:

Any more news about the copy supposedly owned by an exclusively Motown collector in London? Or is it just thought that somewhere in a Motown collection not known about by the rare soul scene there must be one? An urban myth?

As for the one on ebay, it bothers me that ten people bid on it! :thumbup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

So where did Kenny Burrells copy (via Martin Koppell) come from?

Anyone know the story behind this

Also wasn't there a rumour about one turning up amongst a pile of Hip-Hop records in some record store?

If memory serves me correctly, Ron Murphy got the second copy after placing an ad in local press asking for former employees of the pressing plant. This copy then went to Martin Koppell and then to Kenny via Tim.

Social source share

Any more news about the copy supposedly owned by an exclusively Motown collector in London? Or is it just thought that somewhere in a Motown collection not known about by the rare soul scene there must be one? An urban myth?

You'll be on about the taxi driver, forget his name right now. Been rumours for long time that he has a copy. Was rumours years ago of couple of copies on west coast of America as well but probably just that.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

You would be surprised at just how many and what 45's reside in collections owned by people who have nothing to do with the 'scene' . Literally thousands of private collectors .

Actually i'm not surprised at all. I'm under no illusions that the tiny rare soul scene has possession of all the great vinyl in the world. It's what gives me hope. :lol:

Social source share

perhaps i can help take your mind off of it :)

TAMLAdemo.jpg

there ya go........bet FW pales into insignificance now :lol:

Social source share

"without the sunken rim around the perforated middle section which is how you tell it's an RCA copy"

so, if it has the sunken edge near the middle, its an RCA copy? why would RCA make a copy? did it reach the charts again? did RCA announce a re-issue? just curious why they would make more copies....

Gene

Social source share

"without the sunken rim around the perforated middle section which is how you tell it's an RCA copy"

so, if it has the sunken edge near the middle, its an RCA copy? why would RCA make a copy? did it reach the charts again? did RCA announce a re-issue? just curious why they would make more copies....

Gene

RCA took over the reins from EMI around 1979/80 when Frank Wilson was doing the rounds, I suspose they re-released it to satisfy needs, not really sure. I bought mine in 1980 at an allnighter, it has 'marketed and distributed by RCA LTD' around the edge of the label, I remember the seller had a few of them. It came in an orange (60's retro) Tamla Motown sleeve. My copy has a solid middle but as I said in my previous post, sunken rim around the middle. The first EMI UK copies never had that, and I think all were perforated pop out middles.

I'm sure someone on here can confirm?

2004 saw it released on UK Tamla Motown again, this time with the unissued (well, officially anyway!) Chris Clark version. Distributed by 'Universal'....interestingly (or not to some people), the Frank Wilson side is another slightly different take to the 1979 issued 45.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Guest east rob

Gene

or you could buy one from pat brady for £150 :huh:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I know it should be 'buyer beware' but it seems wrong to me... :huh:

Just a Clever use of the information by the seller from the record. It is dated 1965

For the those ITK it is clear what it is.

It will sell for what it's worth, Nobody who would pay the Money for a US copy is going to be taken in.

Social source share

Just a Clever use of the information by the seller from the record. It is dated 1965

For the those ITK it is clear what it is.

It will sell for what it's worth, Nobody who would pay the Money for a US copy is going to be taken in.

It's currently at 65.50! (amazed)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert