Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Why does every record you produce sound the same!

How bloody pathetic.

I have no time or inclination to answer such stupid and inane rubbish.

Kindly go away.

Social source share

open your ears mate and stop being a twat

Oh THANKYOU.

You said it far better and far more succinctly than I would have dared.

Where do such people COME from ????????

Social source share

Did you write it?

Did you put it out on the white lable 7 on Motorcity?

Yes I wrote it.

And it was a twelve inch on Motorcity - MOTC83

But that was not the version that you like.

That was re-recorded in 1998 for The Strange World Of Northern Soul.

It was on the "You Didn't Say A Word" album.

Then in 2006, Kev Roberts put out another single I did with her, called "Right Out Of Time" on a white label seven inch, and he put "Good Luck" on the B side, which was the first time it had been on a seven inch.

Social source share

Ian Levine

Why does every record you produce sound the same!

(sorry for the double post)

Obviously you have not listened to the the very diverse recordings in / of Ian's highly creditable catalogue : if you had , you would have not made the comment ........

Such recordings as Vaness Haynes " Leaving The Scene Of The Crime " , Earlene Bentley " Water Under The Bridge " , Gerod Harris

" Headaches And Heartaches " , Tammi Lavette " No Way Out " , Noel McKoy " My Claim To Fame " ( in my estimation - better than the James Wells' original produced / written by Ian ) , and the immaculate " Work My Fingers To The Bone " by Carol Jiani , These records are highly creative - and as stated - diverse , and do not sound in the slightest similar to each other : if they do , there is something very wrong with my hearing , or more to the point , my appreciation of a good record .........

You are no doubt a decent individual , but judging by your pseudonym - and this is no disrespect to anyone who frequented that establishment - and I am sorry for saying this , but you would appear to be a person who strongly favours a particular style / era of NS ( that is your choice , and I commend you for for beliefs ) , and that there is a reluctance to have , or wish to have , a broader appreciation of anything that may be rhythmically different .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

OK, link working now for sure.....here it is again!

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

Ian D :unsure:

Excellent track. On the basis of that I spent 39p (I'll repeat that 39p!) on the 39 track double CD by BH available here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Love-Your-Brend...4242&sr=8-2

Lots of choice for a b side. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. Lend a hand is quite good, a cover of Cathedrals (D C Larue) is quite interesting.

Home is... is though the best track on the album.

Did I mention it's 39p ?

Social source share

The Gary The Master Blaster Limited-Edition 7" is now available with a special price for Soul Sourcers! Check the sales thread! Boy, does it sound just GREAT!!!!!

It is excellent - better than the IH original even. What about a seven or eight minute 12" extended mix?

Social source share

Yes I wrote it.

And it was a twelve inch on Motorcity - MOTC83

But that was not the version that you like.

That was re-recorded in 1998 for The Strange World Of Northern Soul.

It was on the "You Didn't Say A Word" album.

Then in 2006, Kev Roberts put out another single I did with her, called "Right Out Of Time" on a white label seven inch, and he put "Good Luck" on the B side, which was the first time it had been on a seven inch.

Its a great track. I wouldn't mind hearing the 12" version too.

Received the CD today

................."Come on in out of the rain, my friend.....la la la.......Good Luck." BL

Happy P :rolleyes:

Social source share

The Gary The Master Blaster Limited-Edition 7" is now available with a special price for Soul Sourcers! Check the sales thread! Boy, does it sound just GREAT!!!!!

Ian D :rolleyes:

Thatnkpu for getting some copies to me.

That was SO KIND AND GENEROUS AND THOUGHTFUL OF YOU

NOT.

Social source share

Obviously you have not listened to the the very diverse recordings in / of Ian's highly creditable catalogue : if you had , you would have not made the comment ........

Such recordings as Vaness Haynes " Leaving The Scene Of The Crime " , Earlene Bentley " Water Under The Bridge " , Gerod Harris

" Headaches And Heartaches " , Tammi Lavette " No Way Out " , Noel McKoy " My Claim To Fame " ( in my estimation - better than the James Wells' original produced / written by Ian ) , and the immaculate " Work My Fingers To The Bone " by Carol Jiani , These records are highly creative - and as stated - diverse , and do not sound in the slightest similar to each other : if they do , there is something very wrong with my hearing , or more to the point , my appreciation of a good record .........

You are no doubt a decent individual , but judging by your pseudonym - and this is no disrespect to anyone who frequented that establishment - and I am sorry for saying this , but you would appear to be a person who strongly favours a particular style / era of NS ( that is your choice , and I commend you for for beliefs ) , and that there is a reluctance to have , or wish to have , a broader appreciation of anything that may be rhythmically different .........

Malc Burton

My knight in shining armour.

Social source share

Excellent track. On the basis of that I spent 39p (I'll repeat that 39p!) on the 39 track double CD by BH available here

Lots of choice for a b side. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. Lend a hand is quite good, a cover of Cathedrals (D C Larue) is quite interesting.

Did I mention it's 39p ?

THIRTY NINE BLEEDING PENCE

No wonder I'm so skint.

Social source share

Its a great track. I wouldn't mind hearing the 12" version too.

Received the CD today

................."Come on in out of the rain, my friend.....la la la.......Good Luck." BL

Happy P :rolleyes:

I can do the original twelve inch for a tenner. I still have about five copies left.

Social source share

Did I mention it's 39p ?

If there is to be a b - side , the only choice is disc one , track 18 - " My Love Is Your Love " ........

An exceptional track , which for me , has the edge over The Isley Brothers , I played it - yes , from the CD - to good dancefloor reception / acceptance , when the set was first released ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

If there is to be a b - side , the only choice is disc one , track 18 - " My Love Is Your Love " ........

An exceptional track , which for me , has the edge over The Isley Brothers , I played it - yes , from the CD - to good dancefloor reception / acceptance , when the set was first released ........

Malc Burton

You are right it is very good indeed - and may I be forgiven for this - the backing may even be better or at least equal to the original. How about a good old sixties style picture cover 4 track EP?

Social source share

Yes, but you sleep well with the knowledge that "Cafe Regio's" has sold over 100 copies in the last 24 hours!

Pity the poor bugger who has to post and pack 'em all! No sleep for the wicked............

Ian D :(

but Ian you love it, can't wait to get my copy.

ps no sleeping on the job. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

One question I have pondered over for some time Ian, if I may. What was the first ever 12" disc you bought/played at the Mecca (or elsewhere)?, and did the availability of the new 12" disc format influence your choice of what to play - that is to say, did you favour a particular record because it was on 12" rather than 7" only? When and how did you first become aware of the 12" disc format?

(for example, I recall Stratavarious "I Got Your Love" being played on a solid centred Canadian Polydor 7" at the Mecca, being presumably replaced later on by the US Roulette 12")

This may seem a quite trivial question, but as it relates to the DJ's response to the newly emergent 12" disc, I think it may have some wider interest.

Social source share

Thatnkpu for getting some copies to me.

That was SO KIND AND GENEROUS AND THOUGHTFUL OF YOU

NOT.

You're only the bloody producer! laugh.gif

Sorry Ian - didn't get back from Prestatyn till early hours Monday morning and since then I've been processing over 100 orders, dealing with wholesale enquiries and getting promo copies to radio for plays this weekend!

Will pop round at some point this week with the goodies!

Ian D :g:

Social source share

One question I have pondered over for some time Ian, if I may. What was the first ever 12" disc you bought/played at the Mecca (or elsewhere)?, and did the availability of the new 12" disc format influence your choice of what to play - that is to say, did you favour a particular record because it was on 12" rather than 7" only? When and how did you first become aware of the 12" disc format?

(for example, I recall Stratavarious "I Got Your Love" being played on a solid centred Canadian Polydor 7" at the Mecca, being presumably replaced later on by the US Roulette 12")

This may seem a quite trivial question, but as it relates to the DJ's response to the newly emergent 12" disc, I think it may have some wider interest.

Good questions Mel! The Mecca was right there at the beginning of the 12" format.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Malc Burton

The best of all my Brenda Holloway tracks is "For All The Right Reasons".

Social source share

Yes, but you sleep well with the knowledge that "Cafe Regio's" has sold over 100 copies in the last 24 hours!

Pity the poor bugger who has to post and pack 'em all! No sleep for the wicked............

Ian D :wave:

And where are my copies ??????????????????????

Social source share

The first twelve inch we played was Vickie Sue Robinson "Never Gonna Let You Go".

Kev Roberts returned from New York in the early months of 1975 with one copy and gave it to me.

We had never seen a twelve inch before.

It was a four track twelve which stupidly repeated the track over and over. Not for sale - DJ only.

Despite what others say, it was indeed the first EVER twelve inch disc, which I can attest to personally.

Social source share

The best of all my Brenda Holloway tracks is "For All The Right Reasons".

Agreed Ian , that is an excellent track ........

I stated the case for " My Love Is Your Love " , as I found this from , as stated , the original release of the CD set , that I found it to get favourable dancefloor reaction - which it still does when I play it - and it would be a perfect choice to release ........

When I do / am allowed to play it ( CD equipment permitting ( shock ) at a venue , people come up and ask who it is , and always reply that it is good .......

As stated before - let us have a three / four track EP , which will include " HIWTHI " , " MLIYL " , " FATRR " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

And where are my copies ??????????????????????

Going back to the bloody pressing plant to be destroyed! The 3rd set of TP's were just fine and approved but they used the wrong stamper on the 'B' side of the finished copies with the result that we've now had to recall all of 'em! Luckily I managed to stop the big wholesale orders before they were despatched and the radio copies were due to go out today, so the only copies which have escaped were the ones I gave out @ Prestatyn and the lucky sods who put their orders in first via Soul Source and got them mailed yesterday, who have now all been contacted and told they will receive a fresh pressing free of charge as soon as we get them. So it's really been a question of damage limitation with the result that there are actually only about 40 copies out there with perfectly good 'A' sides but duff 'B' sides. A collectors item for some but a major headache for us.

It could have been far worse as something like a further 400 copies were due to be despatched today!

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds.

We have now sacked the pressing plant in question and will moving all future production to the plant which Paul Mooney recommended (so many thanks Paul). I'm waiting for delivery information but I guess the new copies should be with us by the close of next week touch wood.

Many apologies to all. I've been responsible for 1000's of releases since 1974 and I have never encountered the amount of problems that this one has suffered. In the immortal words of Chuck Jackson, "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agreed Ian , that is an excellent track ........

I stated the case for " My Love Is Your Love " , as I found this from , as stated , the original release of the CD set , that I found it to get favourable dancefloor reaction - which it still does when I play it - and it would be a perfect choice to release ........

When I do / am allowed to play it ( CD equipment permitting ( shock ) at a venue , people come up and ask who it is , and always reply that it is good .......

As stated before - let us have a three / four track EP , which will include " HIWTHI " , " MLIYL " , " FATRR " ........

Malc Burton

Meanwhile 4 of the cds on Amazon at 39p/40p have sold so 1 more and its on to the 99p ones !

Social source share

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds

Which is probably because 99.99% of music is purchased via cd or mp3 !

I guess Virgin Trains would struggle if they tried to order some Steam engines !

Time to enter the 1980s perhaps ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Going back to the bloody pressing plant to be destroyed! The 3rd set of TP's were just fine and approved but they used the wrong stamper on the 'B' side of the finished copies with the result that we've now had to recall all of 'em! Luckily I managed to stop the big wholesale orders before they were despatched and the radio copies were due to go out today, so the only copies which have escaped were the ones I gave out @ Prestatyn and the lucky sods who put their orders in first via Soul Source and got them mailed yesterday, who have now all been contacted and told they will receive a fresh pressing free of charge as soon as we get them. So it's really been a question of damage limitation with the result that there are actually only about 40 copies out there with perfectly good 'A' sides but duff 'B' sides. A collectors item for some but a major headache for us.

It could have been far worse as something like a further 400 copies were due to be despatched today!

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds.

We have now sacked the pressing plant in question and will moving all future production to the plant which Paul Mooney recommended (so many thanks Paul). I'm waiting for delivery information but I guess the new copies should be with us by the close of next week touch wood.

Many apologies to all. I've been responsible for 1000's of releases since 1974 and I have never encountered the amount of problems that this one has suffered. In the immortal words of Chuck Jackson, "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"!

Terrible. Just terrible.

Shocking.

Social source share

Which is probably because 99.99% of music is purchased via cd or mp3 !

I guess Virgin Trains would struggle if they tried to order some Steam engines !

Time to enter the 1980s perhaps ?

Our local comedian. Ha ha - very funny.

Social source share

Ian's getting wound up now

It's not intended as a wind up - a week ago there were half a dozen at 39p/40p effectively they couldn't be given away. Alittle bit of publicity and now 12 are for sale at

£0.40

£0.99

£0.99

£3.49

£3.99

£4.99

£8.85

£8.95

£9.50

£17.95

£18.67

£19.18

when 9 more have sold then we'll be talking quite an expensive cd and when all 12 are gone mine can go back on at £29.99 !

Supply and demand in the market economy ! Ain't it wonderful !

Social source share

It's not intended as a wind up - a week ago there were half a dozen at 39p/40p effectively they couldn't be given away. Alittle bit of publicity and now 12 are for sale at

£0.40

£0.99

£0.99

£3.49

£3.99

£4.99

£8.85

£8.95

£9.50

£17.95

£18.67

£19.18

when 9 more have sold then we'll be talking quite an expensive cd and when all 12 are gone mine can go back on at £29.99 !

Supply and demand in the market economy ! Ain't it wonderful !

Actually I'd avoid one of the 99p copies, looking through the sellers feedback I came across this:

5 out of 5: "fast delivery, good condition jewel case, only a few finger prints on CD, one pubic hair"

Date: 2008/9/11 Rated by Buyer: bdombrowsky2

Seller Response: "???????" Date: 2008/9/12

Social source share

Actually I'd avoid one of the 99p copies, looking through the sellers feedback I came across this:

"fast delivery, good condition jewel case, only a few finger prints on CD, one pubic hair"

Okay - this time you did make me laugh

Social source share

Just wanted to repost this, because it was on the first thread that got closed after eighty pages, and I think a lot of you have missed it.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share