Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I now have this vision of you like Gandolf the all seeing wise one.

It was years ago and internet was different slower and 80 I bet was word of mouth.

I only had a few remarks about internet espionage and that was from the main contractors.

Mainly what blah blah had done or said with regard to the Uno what.

Look just because you've only just sold your Amiga and got a pc doesn't mean that the majority of us weren't online in the 90's. January 1997 for me and nearly everyone involved in the Rocket and Dome stuff was online and had websites.

Do your own research if you don't believe me. Ask Nick Brown, Irish Greg, Stuart T, Alan H.

Social source share

Plus, I believe in the music that I make with every fibre of my being.

I have no desire, none whatsoever, to go visit a club that wouldn't play one of my records. That's like throwing acid in my face.

BIT EGOTISTICAL IS IT NOT? A club has to play your records or you wont visit?

You did pay your dues, true. BUT that doesn't entitle you to comment on the scene NOW, if your not a part of it. It has changed and moved on since your day. How can you comment if you have NO idea whats going on. You dont even know whats being played.

There are three in particular that have really made me weary of it all. And wonder why I other. Then I listen back to Fay Jones singing "You Threw A Lucky Punch" and Nat Augustin singing "Love Is My Sanctuary", and I realise that no old bigoted closed minded fool can take away my joy at how great I think they sound, and how artistically and creatively satisfied I am with them.

Well, a bit of the old 'double standards here. Mike says I cant talk openly on here. So i stop. And then Levine points fingers again. So, im going to answer, at the risk of the censorship on this site removing it. The REASON Ian that you are being questioned (you call it attacked) is because you came on here and attacked Joan and others. Can you explain WHY you feel its OK for you to do this and yet when its done to you, you whinge to the sites editors.? Simple question, answer it and I will duck out.

Still waiting for the answer to this ONE important question Ian. But, for the unprovoked attack you made on Joan, i wouldn't be on this thread. YOU and your music have NEVER been a part of my life and I dont feel YOU, as a person are worth the energy of replying. BUT, your hypocritical whinging and double standards when it comes to people questioning your rudeness and vitriol , are just too blatently out of order to sit down and shut up. So, dont make Pete answer for you, or Mr darcy ask for us to be removed, just a simple explaination of why you should be able to launch attacks on people , but not receive reciprocal treatment? A fair question i think?

:lol::lol: waiting......and still waiting...see this could go on and on, but for the answer to a simple question...

Social source share

Being off sick for a long time can be boring, when I was ill at the end of June beg July I was lucky (IMHO) it was during wimbledon fortnight, this time not only have I had the olympics but this thread to keep me amused :lol:

QoFxx

Must admit i've loved this thread, been a real good laugh, i've only received one mildly aggressive mail via my Facebook account so not too bad on that count, it wasn't from Ian btw but one of our mutual friends!

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Why oh Why do you have to be so confrontational again

Please go back and read the previous page and you'll see why I am forced into being confrontational.

I asked Mike Hughes for the ability to join Soul Source to give me a right of reply to all the abuse I have suffered.

Anyway, as far as the two main culprits go, they can slag me off till they go blue in the face, but I will not answer their posts.

No matter how many times they repeat themselves.

I will no longer answer a post from those two people. Maybe in the end they will get the message and give up. From now on I am totally ignoring them and every word they post.

Social source share

Could you tell us after so famously declaring "Northern Soul Is Dead", why you suddenly say, its your passion and your thinking of returning to it? Has it, indeed risen from the deep grave you tried to bury it in?

this is an interesting historical fact that younger members or maybe Jayne might like to know?

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Surely Ian, this is Mikey's personal opinion, and to say substandard depends on what the standard is with Mikey. I know you are proud if your work, and rightly so, anyone would be, but others don't have to like it, and because they don't doesn't mean they are of closed minds.

There is a big difference between not liking something and calling it substandard.

I don't like Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings, but I don't go around calling it substandard.

Social source share

many people connected with Scenesville and The Dome made it their business to see that The Rocket failed solely because of Ian Levine's involvement.

A rival allnighter was set up specifically to clash with The Rocket.

Emails from Ian Levine were photocopied and blown up in size and posted all over The Dome.

An anti-Rocket website was set up for all and sundry to slag off Levine and The Rocket.

This is all true, and now they try to rewrite history.

Social source share

/

Tragically, the people who can most corroborate my facts have all been banned for Soul Source, and mainly for defending me.

Don't you mean for threatening violence?

Social source share

Kev Roberts is a wonderful guy, who has championed soul music for thirty five years, discovered artists, discovered wonderful records, been a slick and professional DJ, brought our music to a wider audience, played ultra rarities but also played Sidney Barnes and Ronnie McNeir, brought in new recordings like Chairman Of The Board, and made most of the soul scene more open minded outside of the hardcore purists clubs who never would be anyway, and flown people over to the States to see the likes Of Alexander Patton perform, has lost money on gigs yet been accused of being a rip-off merchant, and has been one of the most outstanding people and best friends a man could ever wish for.

I find the years of bitter criticism aimed at him on this forum to be nothing short of excruciating, but as the recipient of much of the same criticism by a few with Marxist tendencies, who view anyone who uses the Northern Soul scene as a business, and dares to charge money for what he does, as the antichrist, and naturally I have great sympathy with him.

This forum is not the nicest of places always, and many so called fans stand on a soapbox to criticise without giving and due care to the hurt they cause.

I love Kev Roberts like a brother, and would defend him with my dying breath.

Thats really nice to hear Ian... I think we all would wish that a person would say that about us.. :lol: .. That makes you a true freind indeed but don't mean that others can't think a different way, you are doing the my way or the by-way again, thats what gets peoples backs up..

I and many others aint ever met Kev, we can only go by his actions when he first came onto this site.. He was not very nice at all, as you put it...

You see my friend i don't do all that hate thing like some on this forum.. I may not like or respect a person but the hate thing is just a step too far for me... I just stay the hell away from any of these people..

I respect Pete Smith but i bet with would disagree on so much with regards to music alone... :lol:

Social source share

Please go back and read the previous page and you'll see why I am forced into being confrontational.

I asked Mike Hughes for the ability to join Soul Source to give me a right of reply to all the abuse I have suffered.

Anyway, as far as the two main culprits go, they can slag me off till they go blue in the face, but I will not answer their posts.

No matter how many times they repeat themselves.

I will no longer answer a post from those two people. Maybe in the end they will get the message and give up. From now on I am totally ignoring them and every word they post.

JUST MEANS I HAVE TO KEEP ASKING. I NEVER give up. Unlike yourself when you gave up on the scene " if im quoting correctly. Northern Soul Is Dead". As im far too articulate and you are unable to bully me, it matters not that you do not answer my questions....they are not impertinent or rude, but very valid and honest. So, as i member, i have the right to keep asking until i get a reply. Im sorry if it disrupts this thread , but ALL it requires is an answer other than " im not answering those two people". If you cannot come on this forum and field ALL the questions, whether they agree with your agenda or not, then step off and go back to the site you already have for discussing how great you are. :lol:

Social source share

The one of Ian in his white "boiler suit" will be shown unless he meets our ransom demands.

NO NO NO.

DON'T YOU DARE.

We will fall out if you do, so please don't.

Social source share

Must admit i've loved this thread, been a real good laugh, i've only received one mildly aggressive mail via my Facebook account so not too bad on that count, it wasn't from Ian btw but one of our mutual friends!

Simon :lol:

ah thats not fair, I haven't had any, mind you I haven't posted anything contraversial for a while :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

bollocks

nothing to do with you

it should be all still up on here somewhere

do you want me to post links ?

more than happy to do so

Actually yes I would.

I have always been led to believe it was over me.

Social source share

Thats really nice to hear Ian... I think we all would wish that a person would say that about us.. :lol: .. That makes you a true freind indeed but don't mean that others can't think a different way, you are doing the my way or the by-way again, thats what gets peoples backs up..

I and many others aint ever met Kev, we can only go by his actions when he first came onto this site.. He was not very nice at all, as you put it...

He also attacked members and sent threats on here.

You see my friend i don't do all that hate thing like some on this forum.. I may not like or respect a person but the hate thing is just a step too far for me... I just stay the hell away from any of these people..

Good point Steve. I dont hate Levine, im just sick to death of his selective answering of questions. Hate would require more energy than hes worth. I have steered clear of him and his music for 33 years. But, as i said earlier, "why does he feel he can attack members and then complain and cry when its reciprocated? His opening gambit on this site was to openly, by name, attack members. Its his publicity stunt to get attention. Now, he has the attention he wants, apart from 2 people who remember his opening and request an answer......and i will continue requesting.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ian.

I absolutely love the Venetia Wilson track. It is a fantastic record, but personally I dont want to hear it at a soul night. I've said all along I dont care that people do, and accept that like, say, The Professionals which I dislike full stop, will be played if a dancefloor wants to dance to it.

The fact that your name is on there as producer makes no difference to me at all. BUT as they have been and are still being played at Northern Soul clubs, and this is a Northern Soul website, I feel I have every right to comment on them. Just as I do authentic tracks from the 60s and 70s.

I have a closed mind as to what I buy, listen to at home or in a car, but accept when walking through a door to a venue that I will get to hear all sorts of stuff that I like or dislike to varying degrees.

As for the Levine must go posters at Scenesville, I remember the content, in fact I think I may have one somewhere. There were things written on ANS about various people and clubs in London, printed off and posted under the headline. They didnt just say Levine must go, they had posts apparently made by you, that the instigator thought the London scene would benefit from seeing. The reactions makes Paul's posts on here laid back in the extreme. People were extremeley upset. Not the guys mentioned but their friends and the people who respected them.

Maybe that is it. People do respect you. I respect you greatly for some of your discoveries that sit proudly in my boxes at home. I also respect many of the targets of your ire, especially from the time of the Rocket. I think maybe you underestimated how respected these guys you probably didnt know, or hadnt heard of are. And your lack of respect was seen as confrontational. If you had just given them some respect and approached the desire to DJ in their clubs in a friendlier manner, then you'd have gotten gigs, and things wouldnt have turned as nasty.

I also respect that you have some of the most loyal friends. You are very lucky indeed.

This thread has has some excellent posts about the songs from the Mecca, and your views on what was happening at Wigan etc, but where in any of the posts have you even hinted at respecting a different opinion to your own? Because I cant see any.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I picked up a record a few years ago and did not know it was one of your productions before i had played it a few times, it sounded pretty good in the small bars that we played at.. "Half a man", not heard it anot sure in what box i have it now, not been played in a long while... Can we have a soundclip of that, would like to see if i still like it..

It's by The Satintones, if anybody is able to post up a soundclip of it please.

Social source share

They don't like Kev because they believe that money is his only motivation. Simple as that.

I have known him for thirty five years and nothing could be further from the truth.

Kev loves great records and continues to champion them.

It pains me to see him so criticised.

Social source share

Could you tell us after so famously declaring "Northern Soul Is Dead", why you suddenly say, its your passion and your thinking of returning to it? Has it, indeed risen from the deep grave you tried to bury it in?

this is an interesting historical fact that younger members or maybe Jayne might like to know?

mmmmmmm? still waiting :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ian sent me this email this morning.

You really are a fucking pest.

Now you got my thread closed down altogether.

You think it's all a joke and everyone likes you really.

You are fucking with everything that I believe in. Therefore you are making an enemy for life.

And you ARE a fascist.

WHO THE f*** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE to tell me how I should make my music, how my sound should be rougher, where I'm going wrong.

That, added to Croasdell's BAREFACED lies make me wanna hurl.

I want you to stay away from that thread.

I don't want to read your shit, I have no interest in you, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, your taste in music is of no interest to me, I don't want to exist in a world where I have to deal with cockroaches like you.

NOW f*** OF AND STEER CLEAR, YOU c***.

I am now deleting you as a friend. I don't want any association with a c*** like you in any way, shape, or form.

I think Ian, you need to realise that when you participate on a forum, where debate is encouraged, you need to be able to accept critisism without hating the person who critisises. You need to understand the rules of the forum you are taking part in, and realise that emails like this in response to posts are against forum rules. They damage the community and undermine the foundations of what makes this place so special.

Now, shall we get back onto the topic? Shall we talk about your productions?

Social source share

The people you mention have either bitterly attacked me or held me to ridicule or shown such a closed minded bias that I couldn't keep my mouth zipped.

Dave Rimmer called me an embarrassment and a disgrace to the Soul Scene.

Mark Bicknell, for years, has subtly continued a campaign of being initially critical, then dismissal, then refusing to get drawn into anything that mentions my name or my music, having previously already sown the seeds, then claiming it is of no relevance to him whatsoever. Very clever, very insidious, and very annoying and soul destroying, while never missing a trick to plug his own soul show, or go off on another one of his drama-queen, hissy-fits, "I Quit" tirades, waiting for everyone to beg him "Oh please come back Mark, we love you"..

Social source share

I respect Pete Smith but i bet with would disagree on so much with regards to music alone... :lol:

That's easy for you to say Stevie huh.gif

Smiffy have you booked the table for two, just out of interest :thumbup: "It's a love thing"

Social source share

You are fucking with everything that I believe in. Therefore you are making an enemy for life.

And you ARE a fascist.

WHO THE f*** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE to tell me how I should make my music, how my sound should be rougher, where I'm going wrong.

I don't want to read your shit, I have no interest in you, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, your taste in music is of no interest to me, I don't want to exist in a world where I have to deal with cockroaches like you.

I am now deleting you as a friend. I don't want any association with a c*** like you in any way, shape, or form.

I think Ian, you need to realise that when you participate on a forum, where debate is encouraged, you need to be able to accept critisism without hating the person who critisises. You need to understand the rules of the forum you are taking part in, and realise that emails like this in response to posts are against forum rules. They damage the community and undermine the foundations of what makes this place so special.

Social source share

Nothing to do with the high and mighty "How dare you question me, you no-body, I have done blah, blah, blah" attitude then... :thumbup:

I don't give a flying f**k what anyone has or hasn't done, with regard to contributing to the scene, it doesn't make them better than anyone else, or give them the right to talk down to anyone. That's why I, and I suspect many others, don't like Kev, nothing to do with money.

Kev has done so so so very much in his lifetime, and when he is belittled, he, like me, retaliates.

I also have no respect or patience with those people who jump on a soapbox to criticise, when all they have done is buy a few records, or been a DJ at a local night somewhere, yet claim they know more or are somehow more worthy than those who have given a lifetime of service to the music they love.

It's all too easy to retaliate in anger and then have every word forced back down your throat by people with nothing better to occupy their time.

Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

Now then Mike, you threaten me with being taken off when I ask questions! He should be banned for this . It outrageous and totally connected to this site. If Levine cannot answer on here, F--k off. Please Ian send me a threat....id love it.

Social source share

Whats that got to do with the forum? (re Paul reproducing James' private message)

:thumbup:

Well pete, if people ask questions inspired by this forum and Levine doesn't like them or answer them, its got EVERYTHING to do with this site. They are giving Levine the platform to field questions , choose reply's and send private threats! Pretty simple Pete..

Social source share

:thumbup:

Well pete, if people ask questions inspired by this forum and Levine doesn't like them or answer them, its got EVERYTHING to do with this site. They are giving Levine the platform to field questions , choose reply's and send private threats! Pretty simple Pete..

I've had loads of threatening/abusive emails since I've been on here, some for just hating The Carstairs record - you wouldn't believe it, honestly. I've never printed any of them though.

Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

Isn't this the true Levine showing his colours.........He can f--k right off, now im on this thread for life...what totally fascist behaviour.

Social source share

Thats really nice to hear Ian... I think we all would wish that a person would say that about us.. That makes you a true freind indeed but don't mean that others can't think a different way, you are doing the my way or the by-way again, thats what gets peoples backs up..

No I am not.

I am defending someone who never gets defended on here. It always seems so one sided and so judgmental, and I don't like it, and I have as much right to speak up and defend him as you do to criticise him, every bit as much right, in fact in fairness, I have witnessed several years of him being criticised, and in my opinion with a lynch mob mentality, and never had the opportunity to defend him on here before now.

Social source share

I refuse to believe that Simon White would ever threaten violence to ANYONE.

I used to really like Simon's posts on here, I found him amusing and was a bit miffed when he was banned, but then again I am not sure what he was banned for. It was someone else I was referring to in reference to the violence.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I find the years of bitter criticism aimed at him on this forum to be nothing short of excruciating, but as the recipient of much of the same criticism by a few with Marxist tendencies, who view anyone who uses the Northern Soul scene as a business, and dares to charge money for what he does, as the antichrist, and naturally I have great sympathy with him.

This forum is not the nicest of places always, and many so called fans stand on a soapbox to criticise without giving and due care to the hurt they cause.

Tony and Ady are seen as anything but Ian. They are hugely respected people despite their rather dodgy penchant for 3rd division football teams. :thumbup:

John Manship is a respected and regular contributor on here, passing on his knowledge to an appreciative audience.

Why is it, do you think, that Kev and yourself seem to attract such constant criticism on here? Is it all our fault?

Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

Mike, shouldn't people be banned from this forum for issuing such, agressive private threats telling people not to post on here? Hes ordering James not to post. Whats site policy? And dont say this should be in another section, its totally relevent to this thread, if people are threatened not to post on it.

Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

I'm only registered to a handful of german and international discussion forums (most of them not northern soul related) but they all got one thing in common: immediate ban for a member posting private messages on the board. James, if I was a admin I'd ban you for at least a week NOW!

Edited by benji
Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

Why bother debating with a person who sends this sort of stuff to people?

Social source share

This thread has has some excellent posts about the songs from the Mecca, and your views on what was happening at Wigan etc, but where in any of the posts have you even hinted at respecting a different opinion to your own? Because I cant see any.

If people are civil and polite then I am respectful.

But if someone says they hate all my music, and that it is substandard, then they cannot expect any respect back from me whatsoever. I will endeavour to still be civil, but that person has then earned the title of "waste of time" in my own mind, I'm sad to report. I actually believe some of these people are so blinkered as to be unable to perceive their own objectionable bias. And I really can't be bothered with them, however dismissive that sounds.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm only registered to a handful of german and international discussion forums (most of them not northern soul related) but they all got one thing in common: immediate ban for a member posting private messages on the board. James, if I was a admin I'd ban you for at least a week NOW!

Yeah? well how about this one?May as well give me a two week ban, huh? wink.gif Actually, f*** it, just delete my membership altogether :thumbup:

Gavin Stearn

August 27 at 3:42pm

Report Message

you are having a laugh ,

you need to know your place c***, and having a go at my mate on SS is way out of order,

you will be delt with

Gavin

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

And you ARE a fascist.

Shocking behaviour and language :thumbup: . You obviously never got to know Ady very well otherwise you would know that he has no reason to lie, and isnt the sort of person that would lie anyway. I think you need to have a harder think back and realise that you may be remembering things incorrectly, or may have imagined that a committee existed, to try and explain the London scene to yourself. Its all irrelevant now and to hold onto the story you have manufactured for yourself is only going to hurt you, no-one else. Perhaps just agree to disagree and with a modicum of humility perhaps admit you might sometimes be wrong. IMO Ady has no agenda, he just doesn't want history to be rewritten.

Social source share

Thats sh-te. If someone is threatened as the result of a thread, its an issue for the site and the person sending threats should be banned. So, keep your German system and sensibilities mate. If there was NO consequensce to private threats as a result of on site debate, there would be no on site debat.e only a threatening dictatorship....sound familiar mate?

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Yeah? well how about this one?May as well give me a two week ban, huh? wink.gif Actually, f*** it, just delete my membership altogether :thumbup:

Gavin Stearn

August 27 at 3:42pm

Report Message

you are having a laugh ,

you need to know your place c***, and having a go at my mate on SS is way out of order,

you will be delt with

Gavin

See, hey Gavin, why dont you go F--k yourself mate. Im sick of these wimpy bully boys...nowt to do with soul. Feel free to PM or facebook me Gav...you Knob. "You will be dealt with."..joker

Social source share

A Magician worked on a cruise ship. The audience was different each week so the magician did the same tricks over and over again.

There was only one problem: the captain's parrot saw the shows each week and began to understand how the magician did every trick. Once he understood, he started shouting in the middle of the show, 'Look, it's not the same hat!' or 'Look, he's hiding the flowers under the table!' or 'Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?'

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything. It was, after all, the captain's parrot.

Then one stormy night on the Pacific, the ship unfortunately sank, drowning almost all who were on board. The magician luckily found himself on a piece of wood floating in the middle of the sea with, as fate would have it, the parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred but did not utter a word. This went on for a day... and then 2 days... and then 3 days.

Finally on The 4th day, the parrot could hold back no longer and said......

'O K , I give up. Where's the f£#

Social source share

Just had a browse on John Manships auction site

Nestled amongst some crackers half way down

Linda Jones : "Just Can't Live My Life" Warner Bros Issue

On his notes

Debuted by Ian Levine in the Highland room 1972

Love him or hate him

he certainly had an ear for some great tunes, and although widely accepted today as a truly fantastic sounding record, maybe a tadd slow for 72, amongst all the stompers

It was 1973 when first i it played, but still lots of stompers around at the time.

The first time i heard it at the Highroom Room i loved it, and still is my no.1 all time fav.

Edited by davetay
Social source share