Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

You don't have to like every thing Ian Levine does, that would make you a sheep, but to hate every thing Ian Levine does..... well, that makes you a knob .

Nice quote. And we haven't always seen eye to eye.

Tell me the story about making the squaddies do the starjumps.

Social source share

And obliging that I am, Here he is again!!!!This time at his Daughters wedding in 2004. Along with Sue and Joanne, Not forgetting Sophie and John, The Bride and groom.

Andy.

Sue's worn well.

And Joanne looks amazing.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I agree Ian he looked so much better with short hair! I had my arm around him because he had his tight rugger shorts on in this photo! Taken 2004 At The National Northern Soul do, Perth, Australia.

Stop it.

You're eroding my memories like sandcastles against the tide.

Social source share

:lol:

James "T"

A post worth reading, you make your point well, doesn't mean I agree with all you say, just that you put it over, so I understand where you are coming from.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Now this is a photo for you mate

Moustache022.jpg

Omigod. Jeremy Hanson. Don't show it to Simon White.

That's only last year surely ??? When he came over to England and took me for lunch in Chiswick.

Social source share

James - know what you're saying but surely no-one can say that this video below doesn't deserve to be played and appreciated on the northern scene - I think it's perfect

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

:thumbup:Andy S

Most of us on here collect or collected vinyl

You obviously collected photo's of Ian Levine, it's a little worrying you have one from only last year according to Ian and he was unaware of you having it !

Have you been stalking him

:lol:

Social source share

:thumbup:Andy S

Most of us on here collect or collected vinyl

You obviously collected photo's of Ian Levine, it's a little worrying you have one from only last year according to Ian and he was unaware of you having it !

Have you been stalking him

Hee hee hee

BRILLIANT.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James - know what you're saying but surely no-one can say that this video below doesn't deserve to be played and appreciated on the northern scene - I think it's perfect

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

And those are the only true words in this entire miserable post.

Ian

You obviously fuel yourself on confrontation

James for the first time on this thread made some valid points

with none of his previous piss take digs, he explained why he and others find your take on Northern Soul the opposite to theirs, there were some good points that if looked at, should have been debated, to say the entire post was miserable was wrong on your part, and you achieved exactly what you set out to do, get a response from JT that had a chip at you again.

We all dissagree and have opinions, doesn't mean we have the plague

Me personaly I would love to be called a museam piece as it would mean I was worth a few bob :lol:

And my only part of Northern Soul history that will be remebered will be my SS postings :thumbup:

Social source share

If it had better production, yes I'd agree actually. With the sound roughed up, more natural sounding and a drummer with a bit of guile instead of the session musician or loop machine he has used it would be cool. But it's not cool, it's gross. But close to great, but it's not, it's sicklly, and gungy, and syrupy.

Which is my point in my last post that Levine obviosuly can not grasp. His ego is getting in the way, again.

Compare it to the production and drumming and rythme and ooomph on this and it doesn't come close, not in the same league, not even close.

For the sake of everyone else on here, I am going to ask you politely one time to respect our wishes and leave this thread alone.

I am heartily sick and tired of having to read your stuff, and I would much rather shield myself from it.

I have no respect for you.

I don't like you.

I don't want to correspond with you, nor be around someone with such a closed mind as you.

You have put me in the position that if you persist I shall quit this thread. I know that's what you want, but the 65,000 other views suggest that some people are enjoying it.

The bottom line is I will no longer post in it while you are here. You have simply shown yourself to be ignorant and beneath contempt, and I have no further wish to witness it, and have far more important things to do than waste any more of my time on someone as ignorant as you.

Social source share

Compare it to the production and drumming and rythme and ooomph on this and it doesn't come close, not in the same league, not even close.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...-last-way-out-7

Now You're talking. But be a fair. That's a magnificent record! I think the word visceral comes to mind. The best record I've heard in a long time. See you. I've got to listen to it again.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

For the sake of everyone else on here, I am going to ask you politely one time to respect our wishes and leave this thread alone.

I am heartily sick and tired of having to read your stuff, and I would much rather shield myself from it.

I have no respect for you.

I don't like you.

I don't want to correspond with you, nor be around someone with such a closed mind as you.

You have put me in the position that if you persist I shall quit this thread. I know that's what you want, but the 65,000 other views suggest that some people are enjoying it.

The bottom line is I will no longer post in it while you are here. You have simply shown yourself to be ignorant and beneath contempt, and I have no further wish to witness it, and have far more important things to do than waste any more of my time on someone as ignorant as you.

:no:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

James for the first time on this thread made some valid points

with none of his previous piss take digs, he explained why he and others find your take on Northern Soul the opposite to theirs, there were some good points that if looked at, should have been debated...

I agree. If people are making serious points worthy of discussion then they should be discussed. It seems a civil way of operating and a constructive way too. They clearly have a mind open to argument.

Social source share

If it had better production, yes I'd agree actually. With the sound roughed up, more natural sounding and a drummer with a bit of guile instead of the session musician or loop machine he has used it would be cool. But it's not cool, it's pretty gross. Even if it is close to great, it's not great, it's sicklly, and gungy, and syrupy.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...-last-way-out-7

IMO probably the best song from the UTube files so far and I have listened to them all, a nice take on The Sweets. The How Long Will It Last Way Out reminds me too much of The Four Vandels so is this the way ahead for Northern Soul, remixes of old records and a conveyer belt of factory made tracks to dance to I wonder.

Well there was another track that was ok as well but would these do better in the charts.

when were they recorded, recently.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

OK - re-opened. Any further personal bickering or off-topic posts will be deleted, if you want to carry on you can do it by PM or elsewhere. Deliberately insulting and antagonistic posts are AGAINST FORUM RULES and action will be taken against members' accounts if felt necessary.

Social source share

Thats good.

What about threats Rachel? People stifling debate and avoiding questions by issuing threats of libel? Or getting mates to threaten via facebook, surely thats harassment and should not be tolerated on a free speech forum?

Been said many times on this thread - if you want to report a post, hit the report button and the moderation team will look at it.

Social source share

Come on Pete, lets get back on topic....IAN LEVINE, the monolith of soul. I want to know EVERYTHING, how can i be a 'soul' lover without knowing his full contribution....we just wouldn't be here without him! So, come on I want those memories guys, keep em coming. Its making me feel ALL soulful inside.

Here's one that'll make you positively gooey Paul.

Why don't you ask him if he put the feelers out for Jack Montgomery for SWONS?

I'd love to see a video of our Jack. If there's a monolith in NS, it's him, I reckon...

Social source share

A committee was formed specifically to stick it to us, to put on a gig nearby in direct competition, and every major DJ they could coerce into doing it turned up, plus word of mouth went out that anyone from the London "in crowd" who went to ours would be snubbed by their friends.

I could name several members of this forum who were on the committee, but five years later, what the hell would be the point. They won, They held on to their little London monopoly, and they kept their scene private and small after all. Their added bonus was that it caused me to quit DJing again, and I imagine it's taken the last five years for their jubilation at that fact to have finally died down. It caused me to quit all the other big stuff I was doing, like Togetherness in Fleetwood, The King George's Hall in Stoke, The Ritz, etc etc.

As far as I can recall, the Rocket was set up to compete with the exisiting London clubs. They had, until that point, co-operated and supported each other. It was set up the night after the Dome after didn't get a DJ spot there. Despite the bad feeling that was going on at the time I went to the opening night of the rocket because it had a nuch needed modern room in the capital. Sadly, it wasn't very good so I never returned.

Social source share

As far as I can recall, the Rocket was set up to compete with the exisiting London clubs. They had, until that point, co-operated and supported each other. It was set up the night after the Dome after didn't get a DJ spot there. Despite the bad feeling that was going on at the time I went to the opening night of the rocket because it had a nuch needed modern room in the capital. Sadly, it wasn't very good so I never returned.

As I remember The Rocket was set up by a copper who was disgruntled with the London clubs not playing enough oldies, thought he knew better what people wanted and then asked Ian to DJ.

The Dome was a different kettle of fish, you had a fresh faced promoter who had never heard of Ian Levine, when Ian asked him to be a resident DJ the young man replied yes sure do us a tape and we will call you, story goes that they got threats as well. I am sure they all can verify this to be true or not true.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Despite the bad feeling that was going on at the time I went to the opening night of the rocket because it had a nuch needed modern room in the capital. Sadly, it wasn't very good so I never returned.

I went to all of them Dave. Agree the modern room wasn't very good - in fact in the first one Ian Levine was actually about the only DJ who tried to play something different and I have said as much in the past - up til that point in the night it was I recall virtually all anthems and predictable stuff from the other modern room DJs. Sadly as a result most paying punters had left that room by 3 am and Ian was DJing to a very small number. But he played things like Janice & Jammers, SABU and stuff you don't hear very often.

It was really the northern room where the main focus was though. There just ain't enough punters around to fill a place like that on a monthly basis.

Social source share

thread re-opened

recent posts in this thread concerning site stuff has been moved there

any posts concerning moderation , site stuff and similar in this thread will either be moved or deleted

after this pause and some thought ...

from now on this thread will be moderated after a clean slate sweep

when this thread started did moderate it from a "let everyone have their say" approach for a short while

this at the time was felt best due to various factors

while did move it back to normal thread moderation, it has not worked well

not going to take action against members involved as it would mean that would need to take actions against a fair few

and so feel that it may work better to adopt a clean slate approach rather than do such

anything that has been said or has been posted against the terms of use/house rules etc previously will be deleted as time allows

along with off topic posts

any repeat of the excesses that have seen will be treated as per a normal thread

hopefully this will allow the thread to get back to where it was a few days ago

this approach may or may not work, end of day its up to you the members

Social source share

One-liners mainly...

Well i'm normaly a two liner

but as the mod's are getting a bit twitchy

well fook it im a three liner now

:rolleyes:

It's quiet Pete

Im worried

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Thankyou Pete.

To any normal person with an open mind, this would be true.

To people who have closed their mind to anything that doesn't neatly fit into their pigeonhole of what their music should be, I could have made Frank Beverly or Garnet Mimms, and they'd still dismiss it as rubbish, without actually listening to it. People whose minds are THAT closed are simply not worth reasoning with. Any attempt to make a logical argument is doomed before the first words come out. People who prejudge without listening are people to be avoided like the plague.

I actually like this one! But it sounds like the whole track is over compressed? When I played it thru the stabs seemed to jump out in the quiet bits but then disappeared once the music kicked back in? Strange. A great little track tho. Could you tube be compressing the whole track takeing the edge off it?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The Dome was a different kettle of fish, you had a fresh faced promoter who had never heard of Ian Levine,

What happened to Matt Jahans? Didn't he disappear to Australia never to be seen again, or is he promoting out there?

He was a great bloke and his welcoming host manner was part of the attraction of The Dome.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

That's always been a really overrated record - mainly because there were only ever a few copies until recently - The Sweets is way way better. In fact Levine's record is better than that but it's not just The Sweets, there's bits of Andrea Henry in there as well, or should I say INFLUENCES of it.

I beg to differ! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Here's one that'll make you positively gooey Paul.

Why don't you ask him if he put the feelers out for Jack Montgomery for SWONS?

I'd love to see a video of our Jack. If there's a monolith in NS, it's him, I reckon...

Dave Rimmer wrote a great piece about Jack Montgomery - Marvin Jones (?) It's in his Rare Soul Bible I think. It relates the story of all the Jack Montgomery records which were all recorded at the same time and then 'smugled' away by unscrupulous 'industry types'. If memory serves correctly it was all told in an interview with Mr Davis?

Social source share

Dave Rimmer wrote a great piece about Jack Montgomery - Marvin Jones (?) It's in his Rare Soul Bible I think. It relates the story of all the Jack Montgomery records which were all recorded at the same time and then 'smugled' away by unscrupulous 'industry types'. If memory serves correctly it was all told in an interview with Mr Davis?

Almost right Dave.

Don Mancha Interview

Social source share

What happened to Matt Jahans? Didn't he disappear to Australia never to be seen again, or is he promoting out there?

He was a great bloke and his welcoming host manner was part of the attraction of The Dome.

Lovely lad, he's still about and turns up at the odd 100 Club and even Cleethorpes, I think he got hitched and lives over Reading way.

Social source share