Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I think that the Margaret Little vocal is rather suspect, but musically it wouldn't have been out of place in 1973, would it?

Depends where the "place" was, wouldn't lasted 10 seconds in 1973 anywhere tehre was a NS venue,

it were fast en furious in them days.....

Social source share

Chris.

I will take as many of those Margaret Little's as you can get me Chris.

Whether the monetary value of the disc is £1 or £1000, the tune is as rare in quality as any played on the Soul Scene, ever IMO.

Thats' kind of sad in a way that people have been so "re-eductaed" by those ever so nice DJ's

that they'll settle anything, really it's a lousy record, the vocals sound like the singer was balancing

on a tightrope, produced by Popcorn Wylie, Buttered Popcorn, Little Willie makes no difference it's

a below average record...................but it is rare and I'd like to have 10 copies of it.................

so I could sell them..............

Social source share

Hi Andy, welcome to Soul Source.

Do you remember a girl called Maureen from Bradford?

The reason i,m asking i went to a family do (wife side) in Bradford about 10 years ago and a girl (Maureen) came up to me and asked if i went to the Mecca, i told her yes and said she went and she mensioned you.

Dave

PS I got The Velvets off you at the Mecca

...sounds like that could have been Maureen from Pontefract she was a Mecca and Wigan regular, lives in London now and goes to 100 club events. Mum was Mayor of Pontefract if its the same girl.

Social source share

Depends where the "place" was, wouldn't lasted 10 seconds in 1973 anywhere tehre was a NS venue,

it were fast en furious in them days.....

If it's true that Popcorn Wylie was behind it, could this be one of his misses then?

The problem for me is the vocal, not the arrangement, which for me is like any other

piece of mid 60's Motown inspired dance tune, but I've said that already.

M

Social source share

I have been on it every day Lee.

I could understand you moaning if I'd been away for a week, but I haven't.

i'm not moaning about how often you've checked it bud, merely commenting on your imputous, 5/6 posts in four days there, 500 + on here in fives days, you do the maths.

i'm not knocking you ian, just saying the other mans grass etc. you seem a bit new toyish, and that can sometimes need pointing out.

seeing as we're both on here at the minute, heres a question.

the salvadors and billy woods came out of that box of 4000

what happened to them, as they are two of my holy grail never gonna' afford wants.

and if you knew then what you know now, having parted with most of your big records over the years, what record do you most regret parting with,and would love to replace.

Social source share

...sounds like that could have been Maureen from Pontefract she was a Mecca and Wigan regular, lives in London now and goes to 100 club events. Mum was Mayor of Pontefract if its the same girl.

No, i,m afraid not she was deffenatly from Bradford.

Social source share

Thats' kind of sad in a way that people have been so "re-eductaed" by those ever so nice DJ's

that they'll settle anything, really it's a lousy record, the vocals sound like the singer was balancing

on a tightrope, produced by Popcorn Wylie, Buttered Popcorn, Little Willie makes no difference it's

a below average record

Oh come off it Chris. If you think 1973 was so much better that's fine, I am just sorry for you that there is no TARDIS which can take you back there. Most of the punters on todays scene dancing to Margeret Little weren't around in 1973. Sure there's a few of them, but not the majority I'd wager, so less of the DJs re-educating and saying the punters will settle for anything.

Plenty of shite played in 73 too from what I can see.

Social source share

I only know two of these and they were rubbish.

Smiffy - someone whose opinion I trust - what are the other eight like ???

I know them - a couple are old funk records, and the rest of them will be too slow for your liking Ian. They're not your type of northern - Leonard Adair and Soul Injection I'd say are more crossover.

Social source share

Oh come off it Chris. If you think 1973 was so much better that's fine, I am just sorry for you that there is no TARDIS which can take you back there. Most of the punters on todays scene dancing to Margeret Little weren't around in 1973. Sure there's a few of them, but not the majority I'd wager, so less of the DJs re-educating and saying the punters will settle for anything.

No but alot all people on this tread were around in 73.

and any year there was shite played as well as all the good stuff.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

I haven't visited the site for a some time. I return to have to plough through all this!

In my opinion,' Love Finds a Way' would have been a massive sound at any time. I've yet to hear a good copy but it really is one of those records that gets right into your head as NS used to before it was called Northern Soul.

Ian: going back to 1968 or 69ish who was that girl from Southport that you used to go out with? I was round at her house one evening and was chatting to the mother, who I remember liked to knit. As she knitted, she told me about you, saying what a nice boy you were and how you'd convinced her that young people could be trusted to stay out late because if they didn't get up to mischief before midnight why should they do as after the witching hour? At least she said something like that and if you call recall that girl's name I'd be grateful because it's been bugging me all these years!

Social source share

I heard that in the 70s from a good source but I can't remember who.

Yeah had the same story broadly confirmed by several Motown artists I interviewed Ady.

Once I'd heard it once, I asked others so what really happened to Tammi Terrell?. Normally they said "Can you turn the tape recorder off and I'll tell you about it, but you mustn't print it". It's in none of the Motown books and all I ever read on it was poor Tammi had a brain tumour and died in Marvin's arms etc etc.

Not true if these stories about David's role are accurate, and they crop up too frequently not to hold any water.

Also heard some nice little corkers about BG, Little Willie John, Diana R etc....but couldn't possibly repeat those :D either. :D

Social source share

Haha! Good post!

It was 74 when I got into the swing of things and can't imagine things had changed a lot in a year i.e. plenty or turkeys showing up amongst the good records.

As others have said, Margaret Little would have found favour whenever it was played.. and is far better IMHO than most of the clips posted on this thread!

Social source share

Ian, sadlly Tubby (Dave Turner) no longer with us.

Dave.

Yes I know.

Didn't he break into a chemist, slipped through a glass skylight, and landed on his head ????

Social source share

Are you sure you've actually heard this record Chris, it's a belter

I just found it went nowhere, with no chord changes. Almost like a female "Sister Lee".

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I haven't visited the site for a some time. I return to have to plough through all this!

In my opinion,' Love Finds a Way' would have been a massive sound at any time. I've yet to hear a good copy but it really is one of those records that gets right into your head as NS used to before it was called Northern Soul.

Ian: going back to 1968 or 69ish who was that girl from Southport that you used to go out with? I was round at her house one evening and was chatting to the mother, who I remember liked to knit. As she knitted, she told me about you, saying what a nice boy you were and how you'd convinced her that young people could be trusted to stay out late because if they didn't get up to mischief before midnight why should they do as after the witching hour? At least she said something like that and if you call recall that girl's name I'd be grateful because it's been bugging me all these years!

Christine Gojke ?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Bloody hell the messiah's online, just shot my ice cream on my 17 inch screen

Billy, you might not have realised this, but that's a BIT rude...... (as in X-Rated)

Social source share

and if you knew then what you know now, having parted with most of your big records over the years, what record do you most regret parting with,and would love to replace.

None really. Maybe Bobby Kline.

More regret parting with Clydene Jackson or Jim Gilstrap.

Social source share

Guest jobete

I heard that in the 70s from a good source but I can't remember who.

I also heard this story from Frank Elson in the 80's at a soul night in burnley, plus many other tidbits

Social source share

I can picture her face in front of me but can't remember her name. We went out for ages, as I tried to convince myself I was heterosexual.

What WAS her name. Lived near Lord Street. Stayed there most weekends after The Mecca in 1971.

damn, I'll be spending all night now trying to remember her name.

Social source share

None really. Maybe Bobby Kline.

More regret parting with Clydene Jackson or Jim Gilstrap.

Now that Jim Gilstrap is a fabulous tune.

H B Barnum job when he was in his Osmonds period, so flush wish some money I'd wager.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

James have you got a crush on Ian?

Probably not, although I certainly seem to fascinate him, but he got quite excited thinking about a fit athlete (and one who went on to become a P.T. Instructor himself), in tight white shorts, now didn't he just ???

Too excited for someone who's not at least curious.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Yeah had the same story broadly confirmed by several Motown artists I interviewed Ady.

Once I'd heard it once, I asked others so what really happened to Tammi Terrell?. Normally they said "Can you turn the tape recorder off and I'll tell you about it, but you mustn't print it". It's in none of the Motown books and all I ever read on it was poor Tammi had a brain tumour and died in Marvin's arms etc etc.

Not true if these stories about David's role are accurate, and they crop up too frequently not to hold any water.

Also heard some nice little corkers about BG, Little Willie John, Diana R etc....but couldn't possibly repeat those :D either. :D

Not sure it is entirely true Steve, although like you I have heard it several times from sources. Suspect it could be a myth that has grown legs due to their intense relationship and to Ruffin's bad boy image. Tammi Terrel's sister denies it all but has no great reason to defend Ruffin. In her book she describes only one incident - in Las Vegas - when Ruffin hit Tammi Terrell with a motorbike crash-helmet, after an enormous row. Her collapse was several months later and according to the neuro-surgeons in Philly unrelated. Good book and worth a read at $27

https://www.amazon.com/My-Sister-Tommie-Tam...l/dp/1904408168

Social source share

Christine Gojke ?

No. She was later, in 1975 and 1976. And she was from Blackpool.

This girl from Southport was 1970 and 1971. I met her at The Wheel. WHAT WAS HER BLOODY NAME ???

Social source share

No. She was later, in 1975 and 1976. And she was from Blackpool.

This girl from Southport was 1970 and 1971. I met her at The Wheel. WHAT WAS HER BLOODY NAME ???

Wasn't she pictured with Alf Billingham in Blues And Soul in 1971 when Dave Godin visited the Mecca ???

Or was that Denise Keogh (now THERE'S a name from the past).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

a below average record...................but it is rare and I'd like to have 10 copies of it.................

so I could sell them..............

That seems a bit harsh Chris.

I'm thick as so dont need no re-edjerkatin, I just need it first time round.

First time I heard Margaret Little I knew nothing about it, but it was as memorable as hearing Suspicion at Stafford or Fortune Teller down the 100 club, or for me Ben Zine at Yate.. Its right up there with the very best played anywhere. I havent been told that, I decided on it myself.

The fact that Sam played it made no difference as so much of his stuff leaves me cold. The fact Popcorn produced it, wasnt flashed around the Cardiff allnighter. It just sounded, and still sounds to me the bizzo. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding. :D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

No. Chrsitine Gotjke was later, in 1975 and 1976. And she was from Blackpool.

I refuse to say why I know this but Christine Gotjke the former soulie and one time love of Ian Levine's life makes high performance swimwear and letoards which she sells via her power store on eBay. The clue is Rochdale Swimming Club where another former Mecca girl Pat Wall once coached. Pat was one of the great dancers on the scene, and if I remember a medallist for England at swmimming. She introduced me to the Torch and NS. Now that is enough information and James you cannot use this as stick to beat Ian. He is entirely innocent. (Unless he's knocking out hi-energy swimsuits that he hasn't told me about)

Social source share

I can picture her face in front of me but can't remember her name. We went out for ages, as I tried to convince myself I was heterosexual.

What WAS her name. Lived near Lord Street. Stayed there most weekends after The Mecca in 1971.

damn, I'll be spending all night now trying to remember her name.

I thought it was earlier than 1971, but you're probably right. Her place could well have been near Lord Street, too. Strange how these things stick in the mind and even stranger how I ended up at her house. She wasn't a face at all and she was a very wholesome girl, quite tall as I recall. I was more interested in the mother myself as there been a book that had done the rounds a couple of years prior to this called In Praise of Older Women', or something like that with a theme that doesn't need to be spelled out. Anyway the next time I saw this girl, she was with some unsavory Ormskirk character called Simpson or something like that.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I refuse to say why I know this but Christine Gotjke the former soulie and one time love of Ian Levine's life makes high performance swimwear and letoards which she sells via her power store on eBay. The clue is Rochdale Swimming Club where another former Mecca girl Pat Wall once coached. Pat was one of the great dancers on the scene, and if I remember a medallist for England at swmimming. She introduced me to the Torch and NS. Now that is enough information and James you cannot use this as stick to beat Ian. He is entirely innocent. (Unless he's knocking out hi-energy swimsuits that he hasn't told me about)

She's based in Blackpool now I believe?

Social source share

...there have always been strong rumours circulating about him beating up on Tammi Terrell repeatedly before the night she collapsed with her brain tumour...

Hello,

I heard similar reports from GC Cameron and John Bristol.

At the end of the day our favourite artists are just regular human beings, good and bad.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share