Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

This may have been posted before but I make no excuses for posting it again. I was just sorting the Original Mastercuts show tomorrow (2.00-4.00pm LIVE on www.starpointradio.com) and this is going to be played @ 3.25pm.

Utterly, utterly brilliant! One of the greatest performances I've ever heard in fact. She's just sensational. I love the song, the arrangement is phenomenal and the performance is just breathtaking

Vermeytta Oyster "The Comfort Of Your Arms"

https://www.divshare.com/download/5617422-df4

To me this sounds like an absolute monster. I'd love to hear this in a club LOUD! A guaranteed floorfiller if the right people get behind it.

Just a great rekid!

Soul Intention 004 Phil?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I saw it, and was a bit shocked but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Thought about reporting it but before I could it had gone :thumbsup: Don't think it you knew the person..a new[young] member.

Apparently he asked about my sexual orientation in a rather blunt and offensive way.

Oh how I would have loved to have answered that with unashamed pride. I have no tolerance for bigots and never will.

On a non-soul topic, I can't WAIT to see the film "W", which opens here on November 7th, a pic about one of the biggest bigots in the history of the world.

Social source share

Apparently he asked about my sexual orientation in a rather blunt and offensive way.

Oh how I would have loved to have answered that with unashamed pride. I have no tolerance for bigots and never will.

On a non-soul topic, I can't WAIT to see the film "W", which opens here on November 7th, a pic about one of the biggest bigots in the history of the world.

To be honest Ian it didn't add up, for a young lad to use the language he did seemed a little bit odd. In fact all his posts so far have seemed a bit wierd. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you Ian :thumbsup:

Social source share

I saw it, and was a bit shocked but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Thought about reporting it but before I could it had gone :thumbsup: Don't think it you knew the person..a new[young] member.

I reported it to mods. Got a pm from Mike saying that account has been closed.

Derek

Social source share

This may have been posted before but I make no excuses for posting it again. I was just sorting the Original Mastercuts show tomorrow (2.00-4.00pm LIVE on www.starpointradio.com) and this is going to be played @ 3.25pm.

Utterly, utterly brilliant! One of the greatest performances I've ever heard in fact. She's just sensational. I love the song, the arrangement is phenomenal and the performance is just breathtaking

Ian, you will be very interested to learn that I wrote this song with Pamela Sheyne before she became famous.

She went on to write Christine Aguilera's hits, like "Genie In A Bottle".

Social source share

Ian, you will be very interested to learn that I wrote this song with Pamela Sheyne before she became famous.

She went on to write Christine Aguilera's hits, like "Genie In A Bottle".

Well that's a great example for continuing to do what you do mate!

I'm doing the review for "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" for Manifesto. I think they'll need at least 3 pages 'cos the tracklisting needs to be there (all 200 tracks) and I've done 800 words already just on your background and the sheer scale of the project LOL.

If justice were done, it should be a 4 pager......

The sad passing of Levi Stubbs has made me realise that all the performances on this 5 x DVD set should be cherished by all. You deserve a medal for this. I'm proud of you...........

Social source share

I have a photo from it, with me, Tony Petherbridge, and Junior Walker showing me how to play the sax.

It was an alldayer in 1974.

And here it is - actually taken in Blackpool Mecca.

If we did not know better Ian , it could a been a photograph from " The Antiques Roadshow " ........

" The value Mr DeWalt ? Priceless " .........

Anyone know as to the whereabouts of TP ? .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Going back to the bloody pressing plant to be destroyed! The 3rd set of TP's were just fine and approved but they used the wrong stamper on the 'B' side of the finished copies with the result that we've now had to recall all of 'em! Luckily I managed to stop the big wholesale orders before they were despatched and the radio copies were due to go out today, so the only copies which have escaped were the ones I gave out @ Prestatyn and the lucky sods who put their orders in first via Soul Source and got them mailed yesterday, who have now all been contacted and told they will receive a fresh pressing free of charge as soon as we get them. So it's really been a question of damage limitation with the result that there are actually only about 40 copies out there with perfectly good 'A' sides but duff 'B' sides. A collectors item for some but a major headache for us.

It could have been far worse as something like a further 400 copies were due to be despatched today!

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds.

We have now sacked the pressing plant in question and will moving all future production to the plant which Paul Mooney recommended (so many thanks Paul). I'm waiting for delivery information but I guess the new copies should be with us by the close of next week touch wood.

Many apologies to all. I've been responsible for 1000's of releases since 1974 and I have never encountered the amount of problems that this one has suffered. In the immortal words of Chuck Jackson, "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"!

Hi Ian D,

What is the prob with the B side? As you are sending another one, I'm going to keep mine minty.

Thanks,

P :thumbsup:

Social source share

The sad passing of Levi Stubbs has made me realise that all the performances on this 5 x DVD set should be cherished by all. You deserve a medal for this. I'm proud of you...........

Looking through this DVD set, and the tracklisting, all the following have now died... (and you have my permission to use this in Manifesto of course)

Erma Franklin, Willie Hutch, Tommy Ridgley, Johnny Moore, Joe Stubbs, all of The Lovetones apart from the lead singer, Sam Ward, two of The Carstairs, Saundra Edwards, Doris Troy, Edwin Starr, Earl Van Dyke, Bobby Sheen, one of The Dramatics, Richard Popcorn Wylie, C.P. Spencer, some of The Royal Jokers, Walter lead singer of The Olympics, James Fountain, Freddy Butler, Bob Relf, George Williams lead singer of The Tymes, Ray Pollard, Jackie Day, all three of The Tempos, Little Ann, Emanuel Lasky.

It's quite scary and frightening.

Social source share

If we did not know better Ian , it could a been a photograph from " The Antiques Roadshow " ........

" The value Mr DeWalt ? Priceless " .........

Anyone know as to the whereabouts of TP ? .......

Malc Burton

Tony Petherbridge died in 1999, shortly after filming a long interview for The Strange World Of Northern Soul, but well before we launched it in July 1999 at the King George's Hall in Blackburn to two thousand people.

Social source share

https://www.divshare.com/download/5617422-df4

To me this sounds like an absolute monster. I'd love to hear this in a club LOUD! A guaranteed floorfiller if the right people get behind it.

Just a great rekid!

Soul Intention 004 Phil?

Ian D :lol:

The wonderful Robbie Vincent is back on Jazzfm (Sunday 10-1) www.jazzfm.com and he just played Johnny Bristol's Man up in the Sky. Did you know Robbie was back/is he on your mailing list for Cafe Reggios ?

Social source share

You deserve a medal for this. I'm proud of you...........

I'd suggest a knighthood would be more appropriate.

I have just finished watching SWONS for the second time, it is a momentous piece of work. You could honestly pick just one of the 6 dvd's and that alone would justify the purchase price. There is a clip on disk 5, the motorcity section, of James Epps just sitting down at a piano and banging out a song, 3 mins that justifys the whole price alone.

I think it is an historic work, one that as the years pass will become increasingly recognised for its importance. I think everybody on the soul scene should send their heartfelt thanks to Mr Levine for having the foresight, desire, finance and quite frankly a pair of gonads large enough to even start the project nevermind complete it.

I'm not joking about the knighthood either.

Social source share

Tony Petherbridge died in 1999, shortly after filming a long interview for The Strange World Of Northern Soul, but well before we launched it in July 1999 at the King George's Hall in Blackburn to two thousand people.

Apologies I did not know that ; TP was sound chap ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The wonderful Robbie Vincent is back on Jazzfm (Sunday 10-1) www.jazzfm.com and he just played Johnny Bristol's Man up in the Sky. Did you know Robbie was back/is he on your mailing list for Cafe Reggios ?

Now he's playing Footsteps by Frances Nero - what's going on ? !

Social source share

There is a clip on disk 5, the motorcity section, of James Epps just sitting down at a piano and banging out a song, 3 mins that justifys the whole price alone.

Oh that's just wonderful, isn't it.

It's the Fantastic Four song, "To Share Your Love" on Ric-Tic.

Martha Reeves asked him to sing it, and he simply just sat at the piano and played and sang it to perfection.

It was spine tingling.

This was March 14th 1989, in the basement of Motown's original building, and we captured it on video for posterity.

James Epps, another priceless talent who left us forever.

Sad but wonderfully poignant.

No matter how much they knock me, they can't take stuff like this away from posterity.

Social source share

I'd suggest a knighthood would be more appropriate.

I have just finished watching SWONS for the second time, it is a momentous piece of work. You could honestly pick just one of the 6 dvd's and that alone would justify the purchase price. There is a clip on disk 5, the motorcity section, of James Epps just sitting down at a piano and banging out a song, 3 mins that justifys the whole price alone.

I think it is an historic work, one that as the years pass will become increasingly recognised for its importance. I think everybody on the soul scene should send their heartfelt thanks to Mr Levine for having the foresight, desire, finance and quite frankly a pair of gonads large enough to even start the project nevermind complete it.

I'm not joking about the knighthood either.

Please please tell me you have ordered "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" ????

Social source share

I present to you for the very first time, the absolute world premier of Evelyn Thomas.

The first time we have worked together again for twenty long years.

"I Can't Give You The World".

">
Social source share

Now he's playing Footsteps by Frances Nero - what's going on ? !

I don't know but I'm thrilled. Johnny Bristol and Frances Nero.

I must get him some tracks off my forthcoming "Soul Steppers" album - all mid-tempo Seventies style soul.

Social source share

Out of interest Ian - are you proficient on any musical instrument ? - what do you write music/songs on/with?

Mike

I can play basic chords on a piano but that's about it.

I do it all in my head.

For example, I will say to my co-producer - hypothetically - lets cut a track a bit like "Pillow Talk" by Sylvia - okay, now I don't like that chord there, change it to an augmented ninth - then when I have a backing track that comes up to my standards, I write a melody on top of it totally out of my head, then write the lyrics.

I do co-write with most of the singers, but 90% of it comes from me and probably ten per cent from them.

By the way, are you the same guy who brought me up to Middlesbrough ???

And if so, I seem to remember the most amazing restaurant with some lavish bouillabaise or something similar.

And was I on my own or did Ralph Tee come up with me ??

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I'm shocked you even had to ask.

After the unimaginable amount of work and hours that went into it, I have to ask because I hope everybody puts aside their differences just this once and gets a copy a week on Monday.

Otherwise all the work is for nothing, and all these cherished artists who we claim to love so much go unrecognised and unappreciated yet again.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

After the unimaginable amount of work and hours that went into it, I have to ask because I hope everybody puts aside their differences just this once and gets a copy a week on Monday.

Otherwise all the work is for nothing, and all these cherished artists who we claim to love so much go unrecognised and unappreciated yet again.

Well said Ian ........

The considerable time and effort put in by you , in completing such a work - no , a labour of love - needs everyone - as you stated - to be united and put aside whatever differences they may have , and congratulate you on producing these essential DVDs , and give you the credit you so rightly deserve for doing so ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Well said Ian ........

The considerable time and effort put in by you , in completing such a work - no , a labour of love - needs everyone - as you stated - to be united and put aside whatever differences they may have , and congratulate you on producing these essential DVDs , and give you the credit you so rightly deserve for doing so ........

Malc Burton

So...

The launch party.

Without giving it all away and ruining too many surprises, it looks like we have The Orlons, The Flirtations, Jimmy James, Jimmy Thomas, and The Four Vandals, all singing live and exclusive to the private crowd.

Plus others....

Remember it's by invite only but if you e-mail

northernsoulfloorfillers@live.com

Then you'll get in.

Social source share

So...

The launch party.

Without giving it all away and ruining too many surprises, it looks like we have The Orlons, The Flirtations, Jimmy James, Jimmy Thomas, and The Four Vandals, all singing live and exclusive to the private crowd.

Plus others....

Remember it's by invite only but if you e-mail

Then you'll get in.

You know I am coming Ian , so I hope the above is not directed at me .......

I hope you can persuade The Orlons to sing " The Watusi " : it was the record that first turned me onto R&B / soul music .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

By the way, are you the same guy who brought me up to Middlesbrough ???

And if so, I seem to remember the most amazing restaurant with some lavish bouillabaise or something similar.

And was I on my own or did Ralph Tee come up with me ??

Yes it was - do you realise it was over seven years ago - 12 May 2001!!! You came up on your own on the train and I picked you up at Darlington station.

Yes it was a very nice bouillabaise - mind you, you polished it off no problem tongue.gif sadly the restaurant changed hands and it is now way past it's sell by date.

You did a 2.5 hour spot - I have your playlist somewhere i'll post it up.

Mike

Social source share

You know I am coming Ian , so I hope the above is not directed at me .......

I hope you can persuade The Orlons to sing " The Watusi " : it was the record that first turned me onto R&B / soul music .....

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Even the people who I know are coming, I still need them to post a quick e-mail to

It need only be three words - I am coming.

No more than that.

But I compile the whole guest list from the e-mails on that account.

So if you don't send an e-mail and I accidentally forget to add you to the guest list, because I am counting on compiling it from northernsoulfloorfillers@live.com for easy reference, then unfortunately there is the possibility of someone standing arguing with the big burly doormen, while someone has to come into the club and find me to ask me personally.

Trust me EVERYONE - It is so so so much easier to just send three words to northernsoulfloorfillers@live.com

Please do it.

You have my unending appreciation and gratitude for your kind co-operation in this.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Yes it was - do you realise it was over seven years ago - 12 May 2001!!! You came up on your own on the train and I picked you up at Darlington station.

Yes it was a very nice bouillabaise - mind you, you polished it off no problem :thumbsup: sadly the restaurant changed hands and it is now way past it's sell by date.

You did a 2.5 hour spot - I have your playlist somewhere i'll post it up.

Mike

I thought you were a fabulous host and you were fabulous company, and I am thoroughly glad that I came.

What was the club called ???

Social source share

Ian

You obviously read or heard the sad news about Levi Stubbs.

Did you ever work with him?

Ed

Yes and I posted this on the previous page but I'm sure no-one will object if I post it up again.

">
Social source share

And you can STILL get it for the ridiculous price of £29.98 if you order now from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Souls-Gre...8290&sr=8-1

And it's STILL number 9 in their chart.

Just ordered my copy and it's ridiculously cheap at £25.98 if you go with the FREE Super Saver Delivery. Really looking forward to seeing the new videos without the garish effects. I don't know how any soul fan can afford not to buy one at that price!

Social source share

What was the club called ???

It was The Empire => https://www.theempire.co.uk/about.html

A fantastic venue - (indeed the 'warm up venue over the road was too) we really tried to do something special for Northern Soul for once - instead of the grotty workingman's clubs - we were seriously bank rolled by the club's owner alas to no avail!

Mike

Social source share

Hi Ian D,

What is the prob with the B side? As you are sending another one, I'm going to keep mine minty.

Thanks,

P :thumbsup:

A major problem with the galvanisation process which this particular pressing plant just couldn't seem to get right! Should have a fourth set of TP's from another plan by Tuesday morning touch wood.........

Ian D :ohmy:

Social source share

A major problem with the galvanisation process which this particular pressing plant just couldn't seem to get right! Should have a fourth set of TP's from another plan by Tuesday morning touch wood.........

Lets hope so.

Lots of people now sending me private messages about Nat Augustin.

Social source share

Yes and I posted this on the previous page but I'm sure no-one will object if I post it up again.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Was he really that laid back, and as really nice as I have been told he was ?

A great shame he has left us !

Nicer than you can imagine.

I have met many other singers with no hits to their name but an ego the size of Australia.

But Levi was gentle and good natured and humble and kind and thoughtful, and as Pat Lewis always said, there was no one anywhere who could ever say a bad word against him.

He would do anything for anyone, and acted like he had never had any success.

I wish we were all like that.

Social source share

Was he really that laid back, and as really nice as I have been told he was ?

A great shame he has left us !

Plus he was so devoted to his late brother, Joe Stubbs, as well.

Social source share

IAN LEVINE IS NOW OFFICIALLY ANGRY.

Some bastard complained to YouTube about my Dean Parrish video of "I'm On My Way", and they removed it. I have no idea if it was done in error or in malice, but I handed Dean $600 at the time to sing it, and he signed a legal and binding contract.

Here's what I posted on my YouTube page.

IT'S BLOODY OUTRAGEOUS and I have now threatened to sue them.

--------------------

YouTube have removed my Dean Parrish video of him singing "I'm On My Way"

I have a signed contract with Dean to film and record this.

He sang it in Northampton three years ago.

We took a live feed from his microphone and were able to capture his vocal from the mike without the music and we made a new version to fit the vocals.

He signed his contract with us which gives us the right to release it for perpetuity.

HOW DARE ANYONE MAKE YOUTUBE REMOVE IT.

I shall fight this tooth and nail with every breath in my body. It is outrageous, with all the illegal postings that people put on YouTube, that I, who goes to such lengths to make sure every video I post is legally owned by us, should be penalised like this.

I am very very very ANGRY.

Social source share

Don't think I've seen that one Ian. Is it/was it on this thread??

It was ages ago.

Very unfortunately, YouTube remove people's videos at the slightest complaint, without caring, or checking the facts. If someone complains then they just immediately remove a video, and then ask questions later, which is grossly unfair. If Dean Parrish himself has complained, I shall be furious, because I had to pay him money to do the video, and he signed a contract. If some Levine hater has lied and complained, I shall track them down through their e-mail and report them to the police for fraud. Either way, it's a real bummer, just a week before my DVD set comes out.

Social source share

Just wanna remind everybody one more time, because time is running short and you need to make plans, as it's now only one week from Monday.

I really hope some more of you from Soul Source will come to the launch party for the "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers", with loads of live acts and all totally free, and all you have to do is e-mail to northernsoulfloorfillers@live.com and say you'll be coming on Monday 3rd November to our launch at The Ion Bar.

This one will be very busy.

Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers.

There are no actual printed invitations, but everyone who has e-mailed this e-mail address will most definitely be on the guest list, which I am compiling from these e-mails.

Please do come.

Here's all the info below

-------------------------

We're having a launch party to celebrate the release of the five disc DVD set, "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers"

I want all my friends to come to the launch on Monday 3rd November. It would mean an awful lot to me.

The launch party on Monday 3rd November is now confirmed and we're back at the Ion Bar.

HOW FABULOUS

We have four hundred invites, by private guest list only. Anyone on here who wants to come, just send a private message to this address

and I will make sure you are on the guest list

From 7pm till 1am

at...

"The Ion Bar"

161- 165 Ladbroke Grove

London W10 6HJ

020 8960 1702

Next door to Ladbroke Grove Tube Station

There will be lots of press and celebrities there, and some of the artists will all be performing their classic tracks off the DVD set, live.

I'd like all the fans to come. We have four hundred invites, by private guest list only.

Anyone on here who wants to come, just send a private message to this address

THE ACTS WILL BE STARTING LIVE AT NINE PM.

IF YOU'RE LATE, YOU MISS THEM.

The Ion Bar is where we held our wonderful launch parties for "Disco2008" and "Northern Soul 2008".

It was packed to the rafters and an amazing success.

It's the can't miss occasion of the year, by private invitation only.

Huge venue with two levels, and a great stage, and ample seating for everyone in comfort with huge couches and armchairs and tables.

The venue is right next door to Ladbroke Grove tube station, literally next door. Plus there is tons and tons of free parking round the back of the club.

We expect four hundred at least.

It's free but by private invitation only.

Please all of you make an effort to come and make it into a night to remember for many years to come.

Warmest wishes and gratitude

Ian Levine

Social source share

You were called Frank as early as 1972. Had Frank Spencer been created by then ????

In agreement there , Ian : Mr Dewhirst was given the nickname " Frank " , before 1972 .........

As for the character of Frank Spencer , read on ........

" Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em " was something of a sitcom oddity . Ask anybody who watched it how long it ran , and how many episodes there were , and estimates will range wildly . In fact it ran for three brief seasons from 1973 to 1978 ( the first two both being confined to the debut year of 1973 ) and a trio of Christmas specials - all in all , just 22 episodes .......

Malc Burton

Social source share