Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

can i guess a dvd box set, is there a prize if i get it right?

You guessed right, but the only prize is my genuine heartfelt advice to go order it right now from Amazon.

It's FABULOUS.

Social source share

You guessed right, but the only prize is my genuine heartfelt advice to go order it right now from Amazon.

It's FABULOUS.

that's ok Ian, i was going to anyway.

Social source share

When will we get ours then??

It's released on October 27th.

That's three weeks today.

I just had the first official finished advance review copy in my hands.

Social source share

Download counts:-

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Reggios"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

668 downloads

Freda Payne "Memories And Souvenirs"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19147069ac3e7081/

54 downloads

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

221 downloads

Gary The Master Blaster 2nd set of TP's now done - I'll get 'em in the morning!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Download counts:-

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Reggios"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

668 downloads

Freda Payne "Memories And Souvenirs"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19147069ac3e7081/

54 downloads

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

221 downloads

Gary The Master Blaster 2nd set of TP's now done - I'll get 'em in the morning!

Ian D :)

Freda Payne hasn't done as well as the other two, has it ???

Which is surprising considering the play it's currently getting.

Social source share

You have managed the first EVER review in history of this set. I'm only sorry you haven't got all five discs. If I send you all five, do you wanna extend your review ???

Thankyou for posting this, even though I don't agree with all of it, but it was not destructive in any way

Remember we got rid of every last kaleidoscope effect, but if we don't use colour tinting and simple classy effects, then videos like Dobie Gray will look rather uninspiring, when as a legendary classic, and a video which has had fifty thousand hits on YouTube, it deserves to be the opener.

So your review was both good and bad at the same time...

I hope you don't mind me reproducing your review here...

Review -

Buy here - https://astore.amazon.co.uk/lifeandsoulprom...tail/B001ECE5ZO

Ian Levine's new 5 Disc Boxed set of Northern Soul Floorfillers, containing 200 videos some new, some considerably cleaned up and modernised (visually). Non stop music of Ian's reworking of Northern Soul Classics.

Ian gets criticism from various angles which I am not particularly interested in, but you have to admire the passion, the single mindedness and the acheivement that this actually is. Whatever way you look at it there are hours and hours of painstaking work not only in production but tracking down these people.

So the piece is a fantastic archive of many, maybe most, of the key names in Northern Soul history, and at that level it surely must be regarded as a triumph whichever way you look at it. Yes you can criticise production in some cases, either audio or visual, but he did what he had to do.

Well I have only seen the check disc at this point of about 40 or so of the tracks, pretty much volume one, not all of it appeals, and there are criticisms I could make. But the bottom line is that I'm better for seeing it (particularly as a good number of the artists are no longer with us), and for that reason I hope it is a great succuss.

A quick run through of some of the tracks will identify some of the plusses and indeed some of the issues, but there is no real constant. Sometimes I might like the improved video, sometimes I might not, sometimes its a refreshing remake, sometimes its not....and so on. I've simply tried to give a brief comment about each track but it is clearly eveident that if there is sufficient on just this one disc to satisfy then there is bound to be even more over 5, though anyone will deserve a medal for getting through the full set in one or even two sittings!

The opener is DOBIE GRAY - OUT ON THE FLOOR which for what it is I can understand its place, but it is not an auspicious start frankly. The original video is shaded by pastels colours across the whole screen which gives a strange complexion to Dobie's skin reminding me of some kind of pantomime character. Musically it is clean but visually it is still impaired.

Contrastingly the next few tracks contain outdoor scenes and fair much better - ALFIE DAVISON - LOVE IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS, JIMMY CONWELL - TOO MUCH, P.P. ARNOLD - EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT and ERMA FRANKLIN - I GET THE SWEETEST FEELING. The gorgeous P.P for me would have made a much better opener, and I really don't care for the vocals on Jimmy Conwell.

THE ARTISTICS - I'M GONNA MISS YOU contains great studio views and already after just 6 tracks in we have already seen a pretty wide view of Northern Soul, male, female, group harmony, older classics and newer ones (on the Northern Soul Timeline).

THE FOUR VANDALS - WRONG SIDE OF TOWN caused contoversy and angst in NS circles but it stands up, indeed sounds fresh in comparison to its peers, particularly if you view it as a piece on its own without making comparisons.

WILLIE HUTCH - LOVE RUNS OUT is a stormer, maybe the best so far. There is a lot going on in the original production in that it has pretty much all of the essential ingredients, but Ian handles his production really well and all the components really work.

Conversely the EDDIE PARKER - LOVE YOU BABY doesn't work, maybe partly because the tune doesn't (for me anyway) anymore - remember at one time this was the number one sound bar none. The video fails much for the same reason as Dobie Gray with the addition that with the effect of trying to make the film look aged it looks like Eddie is on strings!

BOBBY HEBB - YOU WANT TO CHANGE ME shot by the sea is another good one, again visually and aurally.

THE DYNAMICS - YES I LOVE YOU BABY contains some visual effects like Dobie Gray, but no problems here, maybe it's the black background or something but it is absolutely fine.

TOMMY RIDGLEY - MY LOVE GROWS STRONGER is a highlight if only for the fact that he's there, but the piece is really rather nice and I found quite emotional.

RONNIE McNEIR - LUCKY NUMBER, great vocally and bizarrely a track that I would have picked out before as being one of the ones I would have preferred to see but bizzarrel it sounds more dated, given that its one of the later tracks, and one dimensional than some of the older cuts.

JOHNNY MOORE - WALK LIKE A MAN - I'd have to look back on to the previous DVD to see how this fared, but I don't recall this as being standout, but I am loving this mix, for me it actually enhances the track, particularly the backing vocals against an extra gravelly vocal.

THE DELLS sublime RUN FOR COVER excellently puts the live video against the backing track.

DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION whilst I don't like the track, nothing to do with this album, is a well constructed piece with cuts from different sessions, the mix is pretty good to. Another track I've never particularly liked although it does have its place in NS history, far to raucous!, but it comes over very strongly is THE VEL-VETS, I GOTTA FIND ME SOMEBODY.

JOE STUBBS - JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING and THE APOLLAS - MISTER CREATOR represent barnstorming Northern, particularly like the Apollas video

A great little section contains GENE CHANDLER - I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF, - THE LOVETONES - FIRE ALARM and MELVIN DAVIS - FIND A QUIET PLACE, vastly improved on what we've seen before, especially the latter.

YVONNE VERNEE - JUST LIKE YOU DID ME kinda works, again a greatly produced track and the video is made to work, despite some of the same effects i have criticised elsewhere - see I said contradictions!

THE CARSTAIRS - STICK BY ME BABY nicely worked video using excerpts from the live performance in the UK, and a very good piece of music. It's also here where it gets interesting with this and SAUNDRA EDWARDS - THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY, versions you wouldn't expect necessarily. The Saundra Edwards vocal certainly adds something, a different perspective to the track, which is nice, not only the obvious difference but the different nuances it allows in production when it doesn't have to necessarily faithfully follow the original.

RONNIE WALKER - YOU GOT TO TRY HARDER works against an old video because of the effortless vocal and once again Ian's production works. SANDRA PHILLIPS - WORLD WITHOUT SUNSHINE also works and whilst I would have put this into the persistent driving typical Northern category there is sufficient going on to waken it up. Similarly I like MARVIN SMITH - HAVE MORE TIME more so on this one because I just like the track, rather than anything being added.

IRMA THOMAS - WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO is just fantastic, bright , breezy and cheerful (and looking good) and just a favourite piece of mine in any event

In the OK category (for me) are KENNY BERNARD's pounding PITY MY FEET, EDDIE HOLMAN straightforward driving N Soul WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY, EVIE SANDS - PICTURE ME GONE, nice video, bad track, MAXINE BROWN - ONE IN A MILLION bad video, nice track!, and SAM WARD - SISTER LEE

Tracks that don't particularly work for me are THE VONETTES - TOUCH MY HEART, CINDY SCOTT sat in her armchair doing I LOVE YOU BABY, FRANCES NERO - KEEP ON LOVING ME, great track but another one falling down on the imagery, JIMMY THOMAS - WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S A WAY, EVELYN THOMAS - DOOMSDAY which I think is just a horrendous video and TONY MIDDLETON, PARIS BLUES

I've grown up through Northern Soul, it is still in me, it is not particularly where my head is at right now. I would, no doubt, have serious differences of opinion with Ian as to where Soul Music now is at, and whether new music should hark back to the old days, or whether it has a place in Soul Music 2008 culturally and philosophically, and whether it hinders progression of the form. That said it can still have a marketplace, more importantly it can still be good and on that level I can still appreciate it, like it even and I would have no hesitation including some of them on my radio shows. I also cannot help but admire the unfailing singlemindedness that drives his passion, to the extent that whether its right or wrong it's gonna be right - I like that!

Listening straight through in one go you start to pick up on similarities in production, and maybe appreciate the original versions as a result, but I fully understand the reasons for this and appreciate that there was no other way. And I wouldn't let that distract me from the intent and the vision of this set. Its also fantastic to have the whole thing in one set, one box set, in one purchase. I wonder though if each disk was sold separately for say a tenner, and released at say 3 monthly intervals, building into a collection, whether that would have been a better marketing strategy - although I have to say the build up on the likes of Youtube and Soul Source has been immense.

As you can see on this romp through 40 tracks, some I like some I don't - you will listen and I would guess that you would feel the same, maybe not the same opinion on specific tracks but overall. Multiply this up by 5 times and this surely becomes an essential purchase.

Links

Buy here - https://astore.amazon.co.uk/lifeandsoulpromo

https://www.wienerworld.com/wworld.php?catnumber=WNRD2452

Info: -

Title: Northern Soul\'s 200 Greatest Floorfillers

Label: Wienerworld Ltd

Cat Number: WNRD2452

Bar Code: 5018755245213

Format: DVD

Price: £29.99

Release Date: 27 October 2008

Duration: 10 hours

Certificate: E

Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Videos - All Remade, Re-Edited, Re-Built and All Brand New Versions

At a time when a major motion picture is being filmed set against the backdrop of the world of Northern Soul, and when both Amy Winehouse and Duffy have topped the UK pop charts with classic real Northern Soul music, Wienerworld is delighted to present Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers (WNRD2452).

No other Northern Soul DVD in the history of music could ever compare to this. Virtually EVERY classic hit of the era has been filmed and performed, in 95% of the cases by the original artists who made them so beloved of the last forty years.

The majority of these performances have never been seen before and most of them have been digitally re-mastered with excellent DVD quality.

With 200 performances spread across 5 DVDs, this is the ULTIMATE all-time Northern Soul DVD box set package.

Some performances have never been edited before but were filmed ten years ago. Others have been filmed but never edited at all. Some have had faulty sound tracks re-recorded from scratch, whilst others have only ever been seen on YouTube and never been available in DVD quality.

200 Northern Soul songs. All proper performances. All wonderful. All brand new versions. A set to last a lifetime. This is the 'must-have' DVD of the century.

Big Time Song Performances include:

Out On The Floor - Do I Love You - Time Will Pass You By - Long After Tonight Is All Over - I Go To Pieces Everytime - I\'ll Do Anything - I\'m On My Way - Blowing My Mind To Pieces - It Really Hurts Me Girl - Hung Up On Your Love - Night Owl - What - I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Everything\'s Gonna Be Alright - You\'re Gonna Make Me Love You - That Beatin\' Rhythm - I\'m Gonna Miss You - Just A Little Misunderstanding

- Baby Reconsider - It\'ll Never Be Over For Me - Sliced Tomatoes - Love On A Mountain Top - Happy - With This Ring - The Drifter - Selfish One - Unsatisfied - Cracking Up Over You

...Plus MANY more!

Region: 0

Colour: Colour

TV System: PAL

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

1 - DOBIE GRAY - OUT ON THE FLOOR

2 - ALFIE DAVSION - LOVE IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS

3 - JIMMY CONWELL - TOO MUCH

4 - P.P. ARNOLD - EVERYTHING\'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

5 - ERMA FRANKLIN - I GET THE SWEETEST FEELING

6 - THE ARTISTICS - I\'M GONNA MISS YOU

7 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WRONG SIDE OF TOWN

8 - WILLIE HUTCH - LOVE RUNS OUT

9 - EDDIE PARKER - LOVE YOU BABY

10 - BOBBY HEBB - YOU WANT TO CHANGE ME

11 - THE DYNAMICS - YES I LOVE YOU BABY

12 - TOMMY RIDGLEY - MY LOVE GROWS STRONGER

13 - RONNIE McNEIR - LUCKY NUMBER

14 - THE VONETTES - TOUCH MY HEART

15 - CINDY SCOTT - I LOVE YOU BABY

16 - KENNY BERNARD - PITY MY FEET

17 - DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION

18 - JOHNNY MOORE - WALK LIKE A MAN

19 - THE VEL-VETS - I GOTTA FIND ME SOMEBODY

20 - THE DELLS - RUN FOR COVER

21 - EDDIE HOLMAN - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY

22 - FRANCES NERO - KEEP ON LOVING ME

23 - EVIE SANDS - PICTURE ME GONE

24 - MAXINE BROWN - ONE IN A MILLION

25 - JOE STUBBS - JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING

26 - THE APOLLAS - MISTER CREATOR

27 - GENE CHANDLER - I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF

28 - THE LOVETONES - FIRE ALARM

29 - MELVIN DAVIS - FIND A QUIET PLACE

30 - JIMMY THOMAS - WHERE THERE\'S A WILL THERE\'S A WAY

31 - SAM WARD - SISTER LEE

32 - EVELYN THOMAS - DOOMSDAY

33 - YVONNE VERNEE - JUST LIKE YOU DID ME

34 - THE CARSTAIRS - STICK BY ME BABY

35 - SAUNDRA EDWARDS - THERE\'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

36 - TONY MIDDLETON - PARIS BLUES

37 - RONNIE WALKER - YOU GOT TO TRY HARDER

38 - SANDRA PHILLIPS - WORLD WITHOUT SUNSHINE

39 - MARVIN SMITH - HAVE MORE TIME

40 - IRMA THOMAS - WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO

DISC TWO

1 - VENICIA WILSON - THIS TIME I\'M LOVING YOU

2 - DORIS TROY - I\'LL DO ANYTHING

3 - LEON HAYWOOD - BABY RECONSIDER

4 - SIDNEY BARNES - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE

5 - THE MONTCLAIRS - HUNG UP ON YOUR LOVE

6 - JO ARMSTEAD - I GOT THE VIBES

7 - THE VOLCANOS - STORM WARNING

8 - ANGELO STARR - STAND ON MY OWN TWO FEET

9 - JIMMY JAMES - A MAN LIKE ME

10 - EDWIN STARR - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

11 - THE FOUR VANDALS - ONE PICTURE\'S WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

12 - PAT LEWIS - IT\'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME

13 - THE JUST BROTHERS - SLICED TOMATOES

14 - L.J. JOHNSON - YOUR MAGIC PUT A SPELL ON ME

15 - DEON JACKSON - THAT\'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME

16 - J.J. BARNES - OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET

17 - THE THREE DEGREES - CONTACT

18 - SAM DEES - LONELY FOR YOU BABY

19 - EARL VAN DYKE - SIX BY SIX

20 - THE UNITED FOUR - SHE\'S PUTTING YOU ON

21 - THE SHIRELLES - LAST MINUTE MIRACLE

22 - THE VELOURS - I\'M GONNA CHANGE

23 - BETTYE LAVETTE - LET ME DOWN EASY

24 - DEAN COURTNEY - I\'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU

25 - RICHARD TEMPLE - THAT BEATIN\' RHYTHM

26 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - NEVERTHELESS

27 - GWEN OWENS - YOU BETTER WATCH OUT

28 - BOBBY SHEEN - DOCTOR LOVE

29 - SISTERS LOVE - I\'M LEARNING TO TRUST MY MAN

30 - TAMMI LAVETTE - KISS MY LOVE GOODBYE

31 - BOBBY PARIS - NIGHT OWL

32 - BOBBY HUTTON - LEND A HAND

33 - BEVERLY ANN - YOU GOT YOUR MIND ON OTHER THINGS

34 - THE DRAMATICS - INKY DINKY WANG DANG DOO

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - MY HEAD\'S IN THE STARS

36 - FRANK WILSON - JANICE DON\'T BE SO BLIND TO LOVE

37 - THE SAPPHIRES - GOTTA HAVE YOUR LOVE

38 - THE SEQUINS - A CASE OF LOVE

39 - HERBERT HUNTER - I WAS SENT TO LOVE YOU

40 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T HOLD ON

DISC THREE

1 - FRANK WILSON - DO I LOVE YOU (Indeed I Do)

2 - ROBERT KNIGHT - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP

3 - TAHIRA JUMAH - REACHING FOR THE BEST

4 - BOBBY HEBB - LOVE LOVE LOVE

5 - BUNNY SIGLER - GIRL DON\'T MAKE ME WAIT

6 - EVELYN THOMAS - WEAK SPOT

7 - BARBARA LYNN - YOU\'RE LOSING ME

8 - BARBARA PENNINGTON - TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY

9 - WILLIAM BELL - HAPPY

10 - RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE - ROSEMARY WHAT HAPPENED

11 - CHUCK JACKSON - ALL OVER THE WORLD

12 - BOBBY HUTTON - COME SEE WHAT\'S LEFT OF ME

13 - DEAN PARRISH - I\'M ON MY WAY

14 - WINSTON WARD - LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER

15 - PAT LEWIS - NO ONE TO LOVE

16 - TOBI LARK - HAPPINESS IS HERE

17 - ROSE BATTISTE - HIT AND RUN

18 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WITHOUT THE MUSIC

19 - BOB BRADY - MORE MORE MORE OF YOUR LOVE

20 - NOEL McKOY - DETERMINED MAN

21 - SHEILA FERGUSON - HEARTBROKEN MEMORIES

22 - FRANK WILSON - MY SUGAR BABY

23 - MARY LOVE - YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET

24 - BILLY HARNER - WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC

25 - THE VALADIERS - NO COMPETITION

26 - CARL CARLTON - COMPETITION AIN\'T NOTHING

27 - C.P. SPENCER - THIS MAN NEEDS YOU

28 - THE ROYAL JOKERS - LOVE GAME FROM A TO Z

29 - TOMMY HUNT - CRACKING UP OVER YOU

30 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - LOOKS LIKE LOVE IS HERE TO STAY

31 - THE OLYMPICS - BABY DO THE PHILLY DOG

32 - J.J. BARNES - TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE

33 - THE FLIRTATIONS - STRONGER THAN HER LOVE

34 - JAMES FOUNTAIN - SEVEN DAY LOVER

35 - BARBARA MILLS - QUEEN OF FOOLS

36 - PAT LEWIS - FUNNY HOW WE CHANGED PLACES

37 - FREDDY BUTLER - THAT\'S WHAN I NEED YOU

38 - JIMMY BURNS - I REALLY LOVE YOU

39 - THERESA LINDSAY - I\'LL BET YOU

40 - KEN WILLIAMS - COME BACK

DISC FOUR

1 - THE CARSTAIRS - IT REALLY HURTS ME GIRL

2 - EDDIE PARKER - I\'M GONE

3 - BOB RELF - BLOWING MY MIND TO PIECES

4 - THE ELGINS - DON\'T WAIT AROUND

5 - THE PLATTERS - WITH THIS RING

6 - NAT AUGUSTIN - LOVE IS MY SANCTUARY

7 - THE GEMS - I\'LL BE THERE

8 - THE BLOSSOMS - THAT\'S WHEN THE TEARS START

9 - EDWIN STARR - BACK STREET

10 - PAT LEWIS - CAN\'T SHAKE IT LOOSE

11 - THE TYMES - THE LOVE THAT YOU\'RE LOOKING FOR

12 - RAY POLLARD - THE DRIFTER

13 - P.P. ARNOLD - I GO TO PIECES EVERYTIME

14 - JERRY WILLIAMS - IF YOU ASK ME

15 - JO ARMSTEAD - I FEEL AN URGE COMING ON

16 - BOB BRADY - EVERYBODY\'S GOING TO A LOVE IN

17 - ROBERT BANKS - A MIGHTY GOOD WAY

18 - MAXINE BROWN - LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVING

19 - KIM WESTON - YOU HIT ME RIGHT WHERE IT HURT ME

20 - J.J. BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN

21 - NOEL McKOY - MY CLAIM TO FAME

22 - WILLIE KENDRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS

23 - JACKIE ROSS - SELFISH ONE

24 - BOBBY PARIS - I WALKED AWAY

25 - JACKIE DAY - BEFORE IT\'S TOO LATE

26 - JIMMY THOMAS - THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT

27 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - I\'VE HAD IT

28 - VANESSA HAYNES - LEAVING THE SCENE OF THE CRIME

29 - JAY AND THE TECHNIQUES - ARE YOU READY FOR THIS

30 - ANGELO STARR - BABY I\'M STILL THE SAME MAN

31 - THE VALADIERS - WHAT\'S WRONG WITH ME BABY

32 - HOLLY HARRISON - BRIGHT LIGHTS OF THE CITY

33 - THE CARSTAIRS - HE WHO PICKS A ROSE

34 - BEVERLY ANN - HE\'S COMING HOME

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME

36 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T CHANGE

37 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET

38 - VENICIA WILSON - FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD

39 - THE ARTISTICS - HOPE WE HAVE

40 - THE FOUR LARKS - GROOVING AT THE GO-GO

DISC FIVE

1 - TOBI LEGEND - TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

2 - ALEXANDER PATTON - A LITTLE LOVIN\' SOMETIMES

3 - GARLAND GREEN - AIN\'T THAT GOOD ENOUGH

4 - GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU\'RE WANTED AND NEEDED

5 - BARBARA LEWIS - THE STARS

6 - SANDI SHELDON - YOU\'RE GONNA MAKE ME LOVE YOU

7 - LOU JOHNSON - UNSATISFIED

8 - THE GYPSIES - IT\'S A WOMAN\'S WORLD

9 - THE FOUR VANDALS - BIG STRONG LOVE IN MY HEART

10 - BRENDA HOLLOWAY - RECONSIDER

11 - LOUISE THOMAS - HE\'S SO IRREPLACEABLE

12 - THE TYMES - WHAT WOULD I DO

13 - JACKIE ROSS - KEEP YOUR CHIN UP

14 - THE VOLCANOS - IT\'S AGAINST THE LAWS OF LOVE

15 - TAMMI LAVETTE - TAKE A CHANCE ON LOVE

16 - ROSE BATTISTE - I MISS MY BABY

17 - J.J. BARNES - SWEET SHERRY

18 - CLIFFORD CURRY - I CAN\'T GET HOLD OF MYSELF

19 - VENICIA WILSON - I CAN\'T ERASE THE THOUGHTS OF YOU

20 - DIANE LEWIS - KEEP A HOLD ON ME

21 - GEROD HARRIS - HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES

22 - THE TEMPOS - COUNTDOWN HERE I COME

23 - MARVIN COTTERELL - TRY WALKING IN MY SHOES

24 - JIMMY THOMAS - DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A DREAM

25 - TAHIRA JUMAH - WHAT

26 - MARY LOVE - LAY THIS BURDEN DOWN

27 - LITTLE ANN - WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL

28 - TOMMY HUNT - LOVING ON THE LOSING SIDE

29 - NOEL McKOY AND EBONY ALLEYNE - SPECIAL DELIVERY

30 - BILLY BUTLER - THE RIGHT TRACK

31 - KENI BURKE of The FIVE STAIRSTEPS - STAY CLOSE TO ME

32 - SHENTON DIXON - I\'LL MOVE A MOUNTAIN

33 - EMANUEL LASKY - LUCKY TO BE LOVED BY YOU

34 - THE ORLONS - SPINNING TOP

35 - VERNA FRANCIS - BECAUSE OF YOU

36 - BOBBY PARIS - PERSONALLY

37 - CARL CARLTON - NOTHING NO SWEETER THAN LOVE

38 - KIM WESTON - HELPLESS

39 - PAT LEWIS - DON\'T YOU WORRY BABY THE BEST IS YET TO COME

40 - DEE DEE SHARP - WHAT KIND OF LADY

POSTED BY MIKE ASHLEY AT 06:58

Social source share

Just heard a really tragic story about legendary Motown artist Debbie Dean. I was going to record her for Motorcity but never did.

Her husband tells me she was kidnapped in the 1990s and was held for a month. When they finally found her, she was never the same again and had to go into a mental home to get over the shock, but never recovered and died in 2001.

He has some unfinished recordings of her and asked me to finish them off as a tribute.

Sad story.

Here's what he said...

-------------------------------

"We had a life changing day when she was kidnapped and she was found about 30 days later. Our life was never the same.

We were married 11-25-92. I knew when I came home from work one day and I only work a few blocks away from home. The door was half open. This was in mid 10/94. She was found at parking lot by Santa Monica Pier 11/94. She was terrified and saying two black men and one black woman were going to harm her if she did not do what they said. She was in several skilled nursing homes for years. She passed away 2-17-2001

James Kuroki

Social source share

I also cannot help but admire the unfailing singlemindedness that drives his passion, to the extent that whether its right or wrong it's gonna be right - I like that!

(quote from lifeandsoul's review)

Ian i can't but help thinking that this is spot on, and i can only admire you for this. liked the review seemed to be very fair and open-minded and can't wait to see these for myself.

Social source share

I also cannot help but admire the unfailing singlemindedness that drives his passion, to the extent that whether its right or wrong it's gonna be right - I like that!

Ian i can't but help thinking that this is spot on, and i can only admire you for this. liked the review seemed to be very fair and open-minded and can't wait to see these for myself.

How correct , and never a truer word spoken .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The review was open minded. I thought he was a little harsh on some of the videos that I'm rather fond of, but of course it's his opinion. It was fair and never destructive, even though I don't agree with all of it.

Social source share

Chalky, did you see this terrible stuff about poor Debbie Dean ??

Just heard a really tragic story about legendary Motown artist Debbie Dean. I was going to record her for Motorcity but never did.

Her husband tells me she was kidnapped in the 1990s and was held for a month. When they finally found her, she was never the same again and had to go into a mental home to get over the shock, but never recovered and died in 2001.

He has some unfinished recordings of her and asked me to finish them off as a tribute.

Sad story.

Here's what he said...

"We had a life changing day when she was kidnapped and she was found about 30 days later. Our life was never the same.

We were married 11-25-92. I knew when I came home from work one day and I only work a few blocks away from home. The door was half open. This was in mid 10/94. She was found at parking lot by Santa Monica Pier 11/94. She was terrified and saying two black men and one black woman were going to harm her if she did not do what they said. She was in several skilled nursing homes for years. She passed away 2-17-2001

James Kuroki

Social source share

Well, to anyone who thinks that being a record company tycoon is easy, I'd love 'em to see the level of stress I've been through this morning. The courier arrived @ 8.00am with the second set of TP's on Gary The Master Blaster (the first set which came through last week were frankly unlistenable).

So I played the 'A' side which was perfect and then the 'B' side.........which jumped! On all 10 TP's!!!

Ho hum.

What does it take to get a 7" record manufactured properly in 2008?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Sad story.

Here's what he said...

James Kuroki

A very , very sad story .......

Hopefully you will complete the unfinished work Ian : I for one will look forward to the finished product . If anyone can do justice to the recordings , it will be you ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Well, to anyone who thinks that being a record company tycoon is easy, I'd love 'em to see the level of stress I've been through this morning. The courier arrived @ 8.00am with the second set of TP's on Gary The Master Blaster (the first set which came through last week were frankly unlistenable).

So I played the 'A' side which was perfect and then the 'B' side.........which jumped! On all 10 TP's!!!

Ho hum.

Ian D :yes:

OK, I'll answer myself then LOL.....

After going apoplectic at the manufacturer and threatening legal action, things started moving FAST! Just the way I like it.

New metalwork for the 'B' side was done yesterday and will be checked @ 8.00am today. If the mastering engineer thinks it's OK, he will then call me and play me the 'B' side down a mobile phone. If it sounds OK over the mobile phone, I'll take his word for it and commence a pressing run of 200 copies.

I will then arrive in Luton @ approximately 11.00am, check 'em personally and if all is hunky-dory, collect 200 copies and carry on up to Prestatyn.

That's Prestatyn, OK?

Not L.A. or New York.

If I make it to the FREEZING chalet tomorrow night with a successful 7" pressing I'll be well happy!

Hey, this is the glamourous world of Soul-Intention records.

Welcome to the music biz 2008.

Pretty good ay Pete?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Ho hum.

Maybe you should take Paul Mooney's advice. I went through all this with both Sandi Sheldon and Herman Griffin seven inches.

Social source share

Ian Dewhirst managed to get his seven inches in the nick of time, and headed up to Prestatyn with Mike Ritson.

I guess this thread's going to be quiet for a couple of days.

Social source share

Ian Dewhirst managed to get his seven inches in the nick of time, and headed up to Prestatyn with Mike Ritson.

i'm still with you Ian and i have now pre-ordered the dvd set from amazon. :lol:

gogs

Social source share

i'm still with you Ian and i have now pre-ordered the dvd set from amazon.

gogs

Fantastic.

It will be the best £26 you ever spent in your life.

That works out at 13p a song.

Social source share

Hi,

Any footage of Herman Griffin?

Thanks

He died shortly after recording our one song.

He was also Herman Lewis, and also The Boys In The Band, in the past.

We had the camera running in July 1989 when we recorded him, but tragically, the sunlight filter was on, and everything was too dark to see a thing.

Social source share

He died shortly after recording our one song.

He was also Herman Lewis, and also The Boys In The Band, in the past.

We had the camera running in July 1989 when we recorded him, but tragically, the sunlight filter was on, and everything was too dark to see a thing.

Thats a shame,

P :unsure:

Social source share

Yes. Thankfully they're all OK in the end.

Just got to hope it sells now.

It should do. It's a great track, and there's plenty of buzz around it.

Phil

Social source share

Yes. Thankfully they're all OK in the end.

Just got to hope it sells now.

It should do. It's a great track, and there's plenty of buzz around it.

Phil

If they sell them all at Prestatyn, I hope you've kept a few copies back for me.

Social source share

I will then arrive in Luton @ approximately 11.00am, check 'em personally and if all is hunky-dory, collect 200 copies and carry on up to Prestatyn.

That's Prestatyn, OK?

Guess everyone else has gone with you too.

First time this thread has quietened down for two whole months.

Social source share

Guess everyone else has gone with you too.

First time this thread has quietened down for two whole months.

Except me!

Can you tell me what the track is on SWONS after the Chuck Jackson interview? Disc 1. (I've found it at last , in amoungst a Scooby Doo DVD box! - kids!!)

P :thumbsup:

Social source share

Something like.."I Wish you good luck?" (in the artists section)

P :)

You can tell Dewhirst is away - we can get a word in :lol: ........

Ian - I have been reading David Nowell's " Too Darn Soulful " book again , in which - as you know - it states that you had recorded 800 songs with Motown related artists for the Motorcity project , to which I have questions about ........

Was that the correct or an approximate figure for the recordings , or did you record more ? : and out of those recordings , how many have seen release ? and if there are unreleased tracks , what gems can we expect ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Something like.."I Wish you good luck?" (in the artists section)

Bettye Lavette - Good Luck.

It's on the "You Didn't Say A Word" album.

It's also on a white label seven inch that's quite hard to find.

Social source share

You can tell Dewhirst is away - we can get a word in :thumbsup: ........

Ian - I have been reading David Nowell's " Too Darn Soulful " book again , in which - as you know - it states that you had recorded 800 songs with Motown related artists for the Motorcity project , to which I have questions about ........

Was that the correct or an approximate figure for the recordings , or did you record more ? : and out of those recordings , how many have seen release ? and if there are unreleased tracks , what gems can we expect ? ........

Malc Burton

The Motorcity list was 857 in total, but there have been several additions since then, like Willie Hutch in 2003, Frank Wilson tracks done in 2000, and a few Pat Lewis tracks done in 1998.

Social source share

Ian an apparently mutual friend of ours pulled me up at a recent soul night saying that i had been disrespectful to you and that you had phoned him to find out who i was, i can only repeat what i have said in previous posts "that i have the utmost respect for yourself and what you have done for the Northern Soul scene" and would like you to point out anything that i have said to the contrary, but i believe he told you that i was a good lad :D

gogs

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Ian an apparently mutual friend of ours pulled me up at a recent soul night saying that i had been disrespectful to you and that you had phoned him to find out who i was, i can only repeat what i have said in previous posts "that i have the utmost respect for yourself and what you have done for the Northern Soul scene" and would like you to point out anything that i have said to the contrary, but i believe he told you that i was a good lad :D

gogs

That's a lie.

I have never asked anyone who you were. And you have been most supportive.

Someone's winding you up.

Send me a PM and tell me who it was please.

I have asked who a couple of other people were, but never you.

Social source share

That's a lie.

I have never asked anyone who you were. And you have been most supportive.

Someone's winding you up.

Send me a PM and tell me who it was please.

I have asked who a couple of other people were, but never you.

thank you for your kind reply Ian but i will deal with this myself as i shall be seeing this person again soon.

Social source share