Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

OK, link working now for sure.....here it is again!

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

Did you ever hear her FANTASTIC track "Love Me For All The Right Reasons" ??

I'd love you to post a clip of that up on here. Best song I ever cut with her.

Social source share

I'm glad you posted that up.

Very very different for me. Very non-standard Ian Levine.

We tried to get a cross between Esther Phillips' version, and Gil Scott Heron's version. I thought it was rather splendid and underrated.

It's excellent Ian! 20 odd downloads in the last 20 minutes alone. I think this could appeal to a few areas........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's excellent Ian! 20 odd downloads in the last 20 minutes alone. I think this could appeal to a few areas........

If we release it we could have "Love Me For All The Right Reasons" on the other side.

So when am I going to see a "Cafe Regio's"

Social source share

Yep, credit where credit's due I say. I think it's one of the best. 65 downloads in 3 hours says it all.

I just did something with Rosetta Hightower in a similar sort of direction - her first new recording for thirty years.

Social source share

OK, link working now for sure.....here it is again!

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

Ian D :lol:

Thanks for putting that one up. It's a beautiful version of a classic song. It's always difficult to produce a new take on a song which has a definitive version (Esther Phillips imo) but this one comes pretty close.

Social source share

Thanks for putting that one up. It's a beautiful version of a classic song. It's always difficult to produce a new take on a song which has a definitive version (Esther Phillips imo) but this one comes pretty close.

I'm glad Ian put it up and everyone likes it so much.

To be honest, I had forgotten all about it lately.

Social source share

By the way, where did you first get this from ??

I thought you hadn't got a copy of the "Don't Wait Around" CD, and that's the CD it was released on.

Well the beauty of Soul Source is that there are lots of people reading the threads that don't necessarily get involved in the discussions but who do offer to help if required - the silent majority if you will.

I received the "Don't Wait Around" CD within 24 hours from Neil otherwise known as SoulAdequate on here. So thanks Neil! Without you sending me that CD, I'd never have heard the immaculate Brenda Holloway version!

Also thanks to EVERYONE who's PM'd me in connection with this thread, specifically Mark aka nffc who's also been really helpful.

It's so gratifying when one receives genuine encouragement rather then the usual being torn to shreds scenario LOL.

Thanks to everyone, we're finding some great music as a result of this thread and that's the main objective for me at least!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

It's so gratifying when one receives genuine encouragement rather then the usual being torn to shreds scenario

It is indeed, and after the trolls all got bored, and moved away, this thread became a really nice and genuine and sincere place, which has been pretty amazing, I must admit.

Social source share

Well the beauty of Soul Source is that there are lots of people reading the threads that don't necessarily get involved in the discussions but who do offer to help if required - the silent majority if you will.

I received the "Don't Wait Around" CD within 24 hours from Neil otherwise known as SoulAdequate on here. So thanks Neil! Without you sending me that CD, I'd never have heard the immaculate Brenda Holloway version!

Can anyone send you the "Northern Soul 2004" and "Solid Ground" CDs as well ??

If they can, it would be a great help.

Also "Ian Levine Presents Northern Soul Memories" Volumes One, Two, Three, and Four.

Volume One is what you'd expect and fairly predictable, but there are some great tracks on the others. The Brenda Holloway I told you about is either on Volume Three or Four (those two come as a double set anyway).

Social source share

Thanks to everyone, we're finding some great music as a result of this thread and that's the main objective for me at least!

On that subject, try this....

It had some modern room play, but you probably won't know it.

">
Social source share

Very nice indeed, as is ' I'm Dedicating My Love' which has that feel good factor.

Yes, I love that, but there's no video to it.

Ian Dewhirst would like that, too. I can't remember which album we put it on.

Social source share

Can anyone send you the "Northern Soul 2004" and "Solid Ground" CDs as well ??

If they can, it would be a great help.

Also "Ian Levine Presents Northern Soul Memories" Volumes One, Two, Three, and Four.

Volume One is what you'd expect and fairly predictable, but there are some great tracks on the others. The Brenda Holloway I told you about is either on Volume Three or Four (those two come as a double set anyway).

LOL, are you reading this Neil (SoulAdequate) or Mark (nffc)? If so could ya PM me again if poss? I'm trying not leave too many stones unturned, as there are obviously a lot of stones in there like Gary The Master Blaster, Freda Payne, David Ruffin, Brenda Holloway etc, etc.

How many bloody tunes have you recorded Ian? Do you have a total count.........?

It's an exhaustive job but someone's gotta do it! :)

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

How many bloody tunes have you recorded Ian? Do you have a total count.........?

It's an exhaustive job but someone's gotta do it!

According to a discography that a guy from Sweden compiled, 2748 over nearly thirty four years.

But there are twelve fairly recent productions that already aren't on his list.

Which means 2760.

Social source share

According to a discography that a guy from Sweden compiled, 2748 over nearly thirty four years.

But there are twelve fairly recent productions that already aren't on his list.

Which means 2760.

===

ian,,have u any footage of the satintones - rough world ...really into this at the moment..

Social source share

===

ian,,have u any footage of the satintones - rough world ...really into this at the moment..

I really wish I did, but I don't.

But here are the Satintones, and all five original members too.

Vernon Williams, Sonny Sanders, Chico Leverette, Robert Bateman, and lead singer James Ellis.

The same complete original members formed in 1958.

If anyone knows their Northern Soul, they should be pretty impressed with that most historic line-up of legends.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Like that a lot. Great version

Cheers

Manus

Yep, me too! So much so that I'll playing it tomorrow on the show......

Mascara, Trilark, Romeo Jones, Michael Watson, Inner City, Hiroshima, Diva Gray, Dolette McDonald, T.T.F., Andre Lee, George Clinton, Peaches & Herb, Earl Jackson, Gary The Master Blaster, Cecil Lyde, Earl White Jr, Stanley Williams, Brenda Holloway, Marvin Gaye, J. Harris, Marvin Gaye, Martine Girault, Bran Van 3000, One Way & Luther Vandross

The Original Mastercuts Show with Ian Dewhirst, Every Sunday LIVE between 2.00-4.00 pm only on www.starpointradio.com.

It'll sound great on the radio!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yep, me too! So much so that I'll playing it tomorrow on the show......

Mascara, Trilark, Romeo Jones, Michael Watson, Inner City, Hiroshima, Diva Gray, Dolette McDonald, T.T.F., Andre Lee, George Clinton, Peaches & Herb, Earl Jackson, Gary The Master Blaster, Cecil Lyde, Earl White Jr, Stanley Williams, Brenda Holloway, Marvin Gaye, J. Harris, Marvin Gaye, Martine Girault, Bran Van 3000, One Way & Luther Vandross

The Original Mastercuts Show with Ian Dewhirst, Every Sunday LIVE between 2.00-4.00 pm only on www.starpointradio.com.

It'll sound great on the radio!

Ian D biggrin.gif

I'm glad you haven't forgotten about playing Gary The Master Blaster.

Did anybody find out anything more about WCKO ????

Social source share

I really wish I did, but I don't.

But here are the Satintones, and all five original members too.

Vernon Williams, Sonny Sanders, Chico Leverette, Robert Bateman, and lead singer James Ellis.

The same complete original members formed in 1958.

If anyone knows their Northern Soul, they should be pretty impressed with that most historic line-up of legends.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Jimmy Williams who was originally the lead singer of Double Exposure on their classics "Ten Per Cent" and "My Love Is Free". I think this is better than Original lead vocal

Correct. The other three are the original Volcanos who became the Trammps before Jimmy Ellis ever sang with them. Then they brought Jimmy Williams from Double Exposure in to sing with them, when they split up with Earl Young and Jimmy Ellis.

Social source share

Thanks for posting those up..

Yikes it gona bug me now, was the first a Linda Clifford?

Yes. A big big old Blackpool Mecca classic by Linda Clifford on Curtom.

Lou Rawls also did it on Philadelphia International.

Social source share

Something nice from 1989.

The drums are a bit clunky, and could do with being redone, but the song is great, the vocals are awesome, and the visual performance is just stunning.

Specially for Chalky.

">
Social source share

Always Loved this video , as with all the artist's , Producers , look what you did !!! never ever to be repeated sadly

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

very nice brenda holloway....lots of quality there but wasnt she the one who done a wicked cover of yvonne bakers 'didnt say a word' back in the 90s for you ian ,another tune that would be hard to cover and get right as the original is so well known and liked,but between you both you did.. smile.gif

Social source share

very nice brenda holloway....lots of quality there but wasnt she the one who done a wicked cover of yvonne bakers 'didnt say a word' back in the 90s for you ian ,another tune that would be hard to cover and get right as the original is so well known and liked,but between you both you did..

It was on a rather rare seven inch, with her version of "Lend A Hand" on the other side.

Social source share