Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Nice version of Robert John on Vol 5....

James Ellis "If You Don't Want My Love"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1954845752bdee2d/

There's actually tons of stuff but I'm only pulling out stuff which I think will appeal to Soul Sourcers. There's lots of stuff which would appeal to other scenes - some real killers too. I may come back to 'em.....

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

A few on Vol 8........

I love this version. Would sound magnificent over a BIG system played LOUD!

Undisputed Truth "The Law Of The Land"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19549042a3001f30/

And here's hitmaker Frances Nero with a pumping version of We The People....

Frances Nero "Making My Daydream Real"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19548725c8c3395f/

And how about this......what a VOICE! Who is she.......?

Vermettya Royster "The Comfort Of Your Arms"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1954890569604934/

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

A few on Vol 8........

I love this version. Would sound magnificent over a BIG system played LOUD!

Undisputed Truth "The Law Of The Land"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19549042a3001f30/

And here's hitmaker Frances Nero with a pumping version of We The People....

Frances Nero "Making My Daydream Real"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19548725c8c3395f/

And how about this......what a VOICE! Who is she.......?

Vermettya Royster "The Comfort Of Your Arms"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1954890569604934/

I thought this was Ian's thread Mr Dewhirst :P ...........

Any road ( that is a good Yorkshire expression for you ) , I agree with you about Vermettya Royster track : what a voice - who is she ? ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I thought this was Ian's thread Mr Dewhirst :P ...........

Any road ( that is a good Yorkshire expression for you ) , I agree with you about Vermettya Royster track : what a voice - who is she ? ......

Malc Burton

Yep, they're all Levine productions, so it's pretty much sticking to the template!

More to the point, what the hell are you doing being up at 7.20am on a Sunday!

Has the concept of a nice long lay-in bypassed the good folk in the North? :thumbup:

Ian D :(

Social source share

Yep, they're all Levine productions, so it's pretty much sticking to the template!

More to the point, what the hell are you doing being up at 7.20am on a Sunday!

Has the concept of a nice long lay-in bypassed the good folk in the North? :thumbup:

Ian D :P

I am usually up around 5 - 5.30 AM every morning - including Sundays - do you not know that old folks need less sleep ? ........

My Sunday mornings are reserved for geting on my bike ( steady ..... ) , and heading off for two to three hours : but as it was raining when I got up , I decided to postpone it , hence being on SS . I do not mind if it rains whilst I am out , but I will be buggered if I purposely set off in a downpour ........

Anyway Ian , I heard that your lie - ins are now disturbed when your butler wakes you up , bringing in in your breakfast on a tray .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

My Sunday mornings are reserved for geting on my bike ( steady ..... ) , and heading off for two to three hours : but as it was raining when I got up , I decided to postpone it , hence being on SS . I do not mind if it rains whilst I am out , but I will be buggered if I purposely set off in a downpour ........

It's glorious blue skies and sunshine in London.

It must be because Ian Dewhirst is playing all these old Motorcity Records, and the sun is shining down in approval.

Social source share

This IS Vermettya Royster

">
Social source share

It's glorious blue skies and sunshine in London.

It must be because Ian Dewhirst is playing all these old Motorcity Records, and the sun is shining down in approval.

And I'll be playing David Ruffin today @ approximately 3.20pm today LIVE on The Original Mastercuts Show 2.00-4.00pm on www.Starpointradio.com.

I have my 14 year old daughter and her two friends on the show today so should be fun. Tune in if ya get the chance.

Soulful gems from all eras as per usual. Tune in. You may be surprised!

Tracks from Dreamtime, Truce, Was A Bee, Prince Charles & The City Beat Band, Val Young, American Gypsy, Bobby Lovett, John White, Cheryl Hunter, The Stylistics, Splendour, Barbara Acklin, Otis Smith, Linda Jones, Brenton Wood, Tolbert, Madcon, Grady Harrell, David Ruffin, Stanley Williams, Anita Baker, The Black Style Mood, Rufus, Peace Of Mind, Jennifer Hudson, Jay Sean & Robin Thicke feat Mary J. Blige

Social source share

Tracks from Dreamtime, Truce, Was A Bee, Prince Charles & The City Beat Band, Val Young, American Gypsy, Bobby Lovett, John White, Cheryl Hunter, The Stylistics, Splendour, Barbara Acklin, Otis Smith, Linda Jones, Brenton Wood, Tolbert, Madcon, Grady Harrell, David Ruffin, Stanley Williams, Anita Baker, The Black Style Mood, Rufus, Peace Of Mind, Jennifer Hudson, Jay Sean & Robin Thicke feat Mary J. Blige

No Gary The Master Blaster ??????

Social source share

Just played it 2 weeks on the trot, so I'm waiting 'til I get the BEAUTIFUL 7"ers in my mitts! I'll be distributing the record to a number of well-known radio DJ's/personalities so you won't be able to avoid it in weeks to come! :lol:

Ian D :)

There really does seem to be a genuine buzz, the biggest I've seen since Sidney Barnes.

Social source share

There really does seem to be a genuine buzz, the biggest I've seen since Sidney Barnes.

I think you'll be surprised at the radio reaction to it from certain areas! I've got some cards up my sleeve for the radio promo. Also, in this age of CD, MP3 and Bluetooth, we're making a real statement with a vinyl only 7" release. If they wanna play it, they'll have to play it on vinyl. That in itself could be a great PR story.

By the way, is Gary still alive. Does anyone have any info on him?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

The buzz will be even bigger once these babies hit the street :lol:

The combination of the fantastic track together with the wonderful label design will be irresistible.

Social source share

I think you'll be surprised at the radio reaction to it from certain areas! I've got some cards up my sleeve for the radio promo. Also, in this age of CD, MP3 and Bluetooth, we're making a real statement with a vinyl only 7" release. If they wanna play it, they'll have to play it on vinyl. That in itself could be a great PR story.

I was told he died many years ago.

I don't know how to begin to check the truth of that.

Social source share

The one thing I can confirm is that the radio station WCKO, only ran till 1977, and then was bought up and changed format, and changed ownership and format and name several times since then.

It was part of, and a subsidiary of, a bigger sister station called WRBD.

There was another bigger Miami soul station called WEDR but they only played predictable hits like James Brown, The Staple Singers, and Al Green.

It was the brilliant and unique WCKO who played the most amazing records, including, of course, in 1973, The Carstairs, which is where I first heard it. No other station than WCKO played it.

WCKO was unique and groundbreaking and played soul records nobody else had ever heard of.

And I have literally HUNDREDS of hours of cassette tapes of their marvellous radio shows, dating back thirty eight years.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

The one thing I can confirm is that the radio station WCKO, only ran till 1977, and then was bought up and changed format, and changed ownership and format and name several times since then.

It was part of, and a subsidiary of, a bigger sister station called WRBD.

There was another bigger Miami soul station called WEDR but they only played predictable hits like James Brown, The Staple Singers, and Al Green.

It was the brilliant and unique WCKO who played the most amazing records, including, of course, in 1973, The Carstairs, which is where I first heard it. No other station than WCKO played it.

WCKO was unique and groundbreaking and played soul records nobody else had ever heard of.

And I have literally HUNDREDS of hours of cassette tapes of their marvellous radio shows, dating back thirty eight years.

OK, research mode in full effect LOL.

Can anyone on Soul Source dig up anything on Gary The Master Blaster and WCKO, Miami? I need to put some flesh on this........

Social source share

OK, research mode in full effect LOL.

Can anyone on Soul Source dig up anything on Gary The Master Blaster and WCKO, Miami? I need to put some flesh on this........

I have already made a phone call to Miami and put research into motion.

Social source share

Whippersnapper service young man. Thankyou.

Now if you can sort out Vols 9 & 10, I'll get back to trawling the Motor City catalogue.............

Ian D

You're only missing number 9.

You should have 1-8 and 10-20.

Social source share

Will The Real "Hurt The One You Love" stand-up please!!!

OK, so I got the wrong mix on this:

David Ruffin "Hurt The One You Love" - Modern Version

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19527625ffc8ad60/

So I spent a while looking for the right mix, only to bump into this:-

David Ruffin "Hurt The One You Love" - Northern Version

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19603981d5c0e595/

So what's the deal?

Are there any more versions of "Hurt The One You Love" lurking around the Motor City vaults?

So that's 3 versions now, right?

Or do you have any others knocking around that you haven't got around to mentioning yet?

Confused From Carshalton :D

Social source share

Will The Real "Hurt The One You Love" stand-up please!!!

Are there any more versions of "Hurt The One You Love" lurking around the Motor City vaults?

So that's 3 versions now, right?

Or do you have any others knocking around that you haven't got around to mentioning yet?

Well

er...

er...

er.....

Bit complicated.....

Social source share

She is the lead singer of Sisters Love, on "I'm Learning To Trust My Man".

Here she is with Simon White - they were going to get married so she could live in England.

But presumably she looked at him and realised there are far less distasteful ways of settling here, yes? :D

And THIS is Vermettya Royster

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

We're certainly going to give it a try :lol:

Good on you, those are the magic words. You have the right intentions! Think positive , not like the negitivity comments from the JCB club........!!

Who does not sell records on here to make a profit.

P :)

PS - Barbara Randolph's - Mr Wonderful & Soul Searching is very nice too!

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

OK, time to stop pussyfooting around with all this namby-pamby Soulful vocal stuff!

What I want is some million-per-hour STOMPING NORTHERN SOUL INSTRUMENTAL MONSTERS!

Yep, that's right. All this financial nonsense has made me unduly aggressive today and I want to hear some fast, aggressive, POUNDING stompers to channel my furious, blood pumping energy and I want plenty of energy today! Usually it's "Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby" by the Isley Brothers that gets me going but I've managed to wear that out over the last week or two LOL......

But hold on. What the hell are these????? Bloody hell! Play 'em loud!

No one can tell me that both of these would't have been absolutely HUGE if they were undiscovered Checkerboard Squares tunes! They tick all the right boxes today......

The Watts 103rd Street Strings "West Coast Shingaling"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19623532d49a83eb/

The Watts 103rd Street Strings "Soul A Go-Go"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19623300734f3f71/

Phew. That's much better now. Thanks Ian. Credit where credit's due mate. These are just brilliant IMO.

Play at loud volume first thing on a Monday morning and that'll set you up for the week!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Nice dog in the sleeve notes too!

That was my beautiful Madison.

She lived from 1988 to 2000.

I thought Soul Searching wasn't on the Barbara Randolph album. I thought it was cut after the album came out. Am I remembering wrongly here ???

Social source share

OK, time to stop pussyfooting around with all this namby-pamby Soulful vocal stuff!

What I want is some million-per-hour STOMPING NORTHERN SOUL INSTRUMENTAL MONSTERS!

No one can tell me that both of these would't have been absolutely HUGE if they were undiscovered Checkerboard Squares tunes! They tick all the right boxes today......

This is what is playing at the beginning of this video. Did you not notice ??

">
Social source share

That's weird - I was watching disc 3 of SWONS this morning whilst having breakfast (as you do) and there was a 'filler' section showing various scenes driving in Chicago and New York with this cracking instrumental playing and I thought "I wonder what that one is - it's really good?". I then played 'West Coast Shingaling' and there it was!

Brilliant stuff - whatever happened to instrumentals?

Social source share

That's weird - I was watching disc 3 of SWONS this morning whilst having breakfast (as you do) and there was a 'filler' section showing various scenes driving in Chicago and New York with this cracking instrumental playing and I thought "I wonder what that one is - it's really good?". I then played 'West Coast Shingaling' and there it was!

Brilliant stuff - whatever happened to instrumentals?

I still love "Afternoon Of The Rhino", one of my biggest ever Mecca floor fillers back in the day.

And "Brown Sugar" by the Watts 103rd Street Band

Social source share

Its on the one you recommended in a previous post. (Thank you).

Yes, you're right.

It was indeed on the album.

It's "From The Start" that wasn't on it.

(Not to be confused with "Stop And Start")

But "From The Start" is on the "Solid Ground" album, which I think you also have, anyway.

Social source share

That's because you filmed it.

It ranks with Bobby Hebb as one of the best "films" terrific set, super make up artist and lots of time to do it in..................well, no actually now that I think about it we were running late and we nearly missed Leola Jiles, crumbs now I remember the panic, anyway there she was ever the professional waiting for me at the hotel bar :lol: Happy memories !!

Social source share

I still love "Afternoon Of The Rhino", one of my biggest ever Mecca floor fillers back in the day.

And "Brown Sugar" by the Watts 103rd Street Band

Down at the Hitsville Soul Weekender amongst all those extremely, extremely expensive records one DJ played (Allan Pollard meethinks) Earl Wright - Thumb a ride, went down a storm. C'mon hands up who apart from me has done the air-sax to this great tune ?? :lol:

Social source share

It ranks with Bobby Hebb as one of the best "films" terrific set, super make up artist and lots of time to do it in..................well, no actually now that I think about it we were running late and we nearly missed Leola Jiles, crumbs now I remember the panic, anyway there she was ever the professional waiting for me at the hotel bar :lol: Happy memories !!

Didn't she try to have her wicked way with you ??

And you weren't Mister Slim then, either.

Maybe she liked big men.

Social source share

Didn't she try to have her wicked way with you ??

And you weren't Mister Slim then, either.

Maybe she liked big men.

Well we were both worse for wear from the drink, she was drinking tequila but yes you're right I was well tubby but of course nearly 10 years younger, she on the other hand was stunning, drunk or sober !! And I can see "I've seen it all" :lol:

Social source share