Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Much as I'd love that to be the case, I just don't see it.

Well Diana Ross had a hit album in America last year, with this, so there's still hope. (And she is STILL fabulous)

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I never saw this thread.

It was The First Amendment, not to be confused with The Fifth Amendment.

The Fifth Amendment made "Gotcha Where I Wantcha" on a tiny blue coloured label in the 1970s, I think it was New York Groove, or New York Sound.

But The First Amendment single was an all studio recording, sang by a great Scottish singer called Chris Judge, and believe it or not, Peter Andre actually did some backing vocals on it. Everyone who came through the studio doors added a bit of backing vocals to it, a bit like Philly Cream.

There was no proper act, so no video was ever filmed.

sorry ian posted from memory so just assumed fifth, as i said i think this was one of the best from your first batch, a good double sider.

the fifth was issued twice light and dark blue labels, a top highland room spin.

mark

Social source share

Totally agree , I have the 7 inch of Martha's , but i think the video shows how much hard work was put into the Motorcity.

The Andantes video is fabulous, and they did it first, before Martha.

Although it was initially cut for Martha, it looked like she wasn't going to do it, so we didn't want to waste the two tracks we had cut specially for her, so Hattie Littles tried "Angel In Disguise" and The Andantes sang "Step Into My Shoes".

Then on the very last day before we left Detroit, Martha changed her mind and decided to sing the two songs after all.

Pat Lewis was not pleased at the time, as she liked "Step Into My Shoes" a lot.

Social source share

It's a question of taste I guess, but these modern R&B artists, in the American sense of the term, leave me cold.

The stuff they do sounds to me like the pap you see on X Factor, Fame Academy and the like.

The guys put forward as examples of today's Black Music, like Joe & Brian McKnight don't sound much different to

Justin Timberlake to my ears. I guess this music just isn't for us forty-somethings, is it?

When Motown was at its height, Marvin Gaye was 23 or 24 years old & the people buying his records just

a few years younger. To every thing there is a season, no?

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Pat Lewis was not pleased at the time, as she liked "Step Into My Shoes" a lot.

did pat lewis appear at a hinckley all-nighter circa 1982? im certain i mistakenly closed the main door to the dance hall on her!!! it was either her or laura lee! it still bothers me today unsure.gif:(

Social source share

It's a question of taste I guess, but these modern R&B artists, in the American sense of the term, leave me cold.

The stuff they do sounds to me like the pap you see on X Factor, Fame Academy and the like.

The guys put forward as examples of today's Black Music, like Joe & Brian McKnight don't sound much different to

Justin Timberlake to my ears. I guess this music just isn't for us forty-somethings, is it?

I agree with every single word of this.

Social source share

did pat lewis appear at a hinckley all-nighter circa 1982? im certain i mistakenly closed the main door to the dance hall on her!!! it was either her or laura lee! it still bothers me today unsure.gif:(

It was Pat Lewis, with Al Kent and J.J. Barnes.

Social source share

When Motown was at its height, Marvin Gaye was 23 or 24 years old & the people buying his records just

a few years younger. To every thing there is a season, no?

I agree in the main, there are a couple of exceptions to the rule - I like Jill Scott, John Legend and Estelle wink.gif

Social source share

I agree in the main, there are a couple of exceptions to the rule - I like Jill Scott, John Legend and Estelle

John Legend has an amazing voice and charisma, but the songs aren't exactly Gamble and Huff, are they ???

Social source share

I think John Legend's Get Lifted CD is one of the CDs of the decade. I would've thought that songs like PDA and Each Day Gets Better from the Once Again CD would be your cup of tea Ian?

Just found them both

BLOODY HELL.

You know me better than I know myself.

I'm on the floor.

Melted.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have heard several things by him that were just okay, but now these two are in a different league.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

There is still hope fro the world.

Social source share

good evening ian, been asked to post this on behalf of a friend so sorry if been asked before,

were there any cover ups at the mecca ?

did u sell many records that u stopped playing in yr dj sets ? and if so did u manage to get copies back if you regretted selling them ?

do u have records that u would never sell ?

did u hear records played by other djs that u just had to get a copy of yourself cos u loved them ?

once again im sorry if been asked before

Social source share

Thanks Ian,

I've got a terrible habit of asking before thinking. I could of searched that myself. Sorry.

Doh, I just ordered that DVD a few days ago anyway!! Thats what motherhood does for you, you lose your brain cells!!

P smile.gif

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Dear Ken

I have refrained from asking this since the thread first began, but why is there a pulled and stretched and ugly and distorted and grossly unflattering picture of me upside down in your avatar ????

It was up before your thread,i was mucking about with me new scanner when i fist got it,it wasnt quiet like that at one time you was all green but normal,if it offends you i'll take it off no probblems,i'll take off any way i'm bored with it !!.........Ken

Social source share

good evening ian, been asked to post this on behalf of a friend so sorry if been asked before,

were there any cover ups at the mecca ?

did u sell many records that u stopped playing in yr dj sets ? and if so did u manage to get copies back if you regretted selling them ?

do u have records that u would never sell ?

did u hear records played by other djs that u just had to get a copy of yourself cos u loved them ?

once again im sorry if been asked before

1. Loads. Prior to the Mecca, the only record to be covered up was Bobby Patterson at The Wheel.

We covered up loads (Lets Shingaling At The Go-Go etc etc) to stop Soussan finding out about them.

2. Never. I never sold a record till 1979 when I quit DJing on the Northern Soul Scene. Then I sold over fifty thousand off.

3. Not really. I built my collection right back up to its all time peak by 2003, then sold off all the big Northern. Still got over 80,000 assorted soul oddments and looking to sell stuff to genuine collectors, but no big Northern left any more.

4. Many times. I usually did get them, but never got either Esther Grant or Patrinell Staton.

Social source share

Thanks Ian,

I've got a terrible habit of asking before thinking. I could of searched that myself. Sorry.

No, I would rather you asked, becasue I know exactly what to look for, and it may help others if they fancy finding them too.

Sometimes people won't bother searching far and wide, but if it's undee their noses, they'll buy it.

And some of these Amazon bargains are way way cheaper than they were sold for originally. In many cases, cheaper than they actually cost to manufacture.

If anyone is a genuine fan of mine, they should buy all these seven, all different, CD albums. All seven are TOTALLY deleted and unavailable, but you can pick them up if you look around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Didnt-Word-Var...7713&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Wait-Around-N...f=pd_sim_m_h__1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-2004...f=pd_sim_m_h__2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solid-Ground-Vario...7912&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levine-Presents-No...7942&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levine-Presents-No...f=pd_sim_m_h__1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levine-Presents-No...7982&sr=1-2

Social source share

It was up before your thread,i was mucking about with me new scanner when i fist got it,it wasnt quiet like that at one time you was all green but normal,if it offends you i'll take it off no probblems,i'll take off any way i'm bored with it !!.........Ken

Lets just say it was not the most flattering pic of me in the world. Not like this one.

post-13099-1221418099_thumb.jpg

Social source share

wonder who bought my Pye issue of the Jones Brothers, one of only two known to man.

Ian, just thought you might be interested to hear...

One turned up on Will Johnson's list today, Pye issue, £150.

I think that's way too cheap, given its scarcity, and I got much more than that for mine.

Social source share

I've just noticed.

removed by site

WHY are some people such DICKHEADS ???????????

Social source share

I've just noticed.

WHY are some people such DICKHEADS ???????????

:thumbsup:

His reviews were very critical and obviously he has gone out of his way to post these reviews against your products but I would hardly say this is vile and disgracefull.

Don't take too much notice of the 5 star reviews. They both only review Ian Levine productions and always give him 5 stars.

As nick has pointed out his acount has been closed on SS and I don't know what else has gone on behind the scenes between you both but don't you think your comments were over egging it a little.

I don't know the person so cannot comment but you quote in earlier posts about private emails vitriolic emails PMs etc you have received which gets me thinking were they as bad as you have said they are if you call the above vile and disgracefull.

QoFxx

Social source share

Just found them both

BLOODY HELL.

You know me better than I know myself.

I'm on the floor.

Melted.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have heard several things by him that were just okay, but now these two are in a different league.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

There is still hope fro the world.

Knew you had to like him!He is FAB!!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Well Diana Ross had a hit album in America last year, with this, so there's still hope. (And she is STILL fabulous)

Never been a great fan of DR Ian - read too much negative stuff about her over the years and her voice was way too sugary for me. But "More today than yesterday" was an outstanding pop record. I even like the instrumental version on Cotillion. Are you saying the album sold on the strength of this track alone?

Social source share

Ask him, he's on this forum, see if he's got the balls to say it all to your face

I have complained to Amazon about his persistent and vitriolic and obsessive vendetta against me.

Every sick review from this creature, of every album I produced, spews forth the same old disgusting and hateful diorrhoea

Social source share

I think you'll find that account has been closed.

Nick

I'm most relieved to hear it.

This creature gives soul fans a bad name.

After yesterday's fiascos, I'm beginning to wonder if being a soul fan turns certain sections of society into blind bigots.

I'm not proud of some of our number - not proud at all.

Thank goodness for Smiffy, and Pauline, and Malc Burton, and Paul Mooney, and Reg, etc etc etc

DECENT people.

Social source share

I have complained to Amazon about his persistent and vitriolic and obsessive vendetta against me.

Every sick review from this creature, of every album I produced, spews forth the same old disgusting and hateful diorrhoea

See my above post. He is perhaps being a bit bitchy but hardly disgusting and hateful diorrhoea. Maybe he feels he has the same complaint about the person who always posts positive comments about your work.

QoFxx

Social source share

His reviews were very critical and obviously he has gone out of his way to post these reviews against your products but I would hardly say this is vile and disgracefull.

Sorry to disagree with you, but I respectfully DO disagree, when it's a vicious vendetta.

You haven't spent a long time making a record which you KNOW is damn good, and makes you feel all proud inside, only to have it rubbished by some cretin who hasn't even LISTENED to it properly.

Social source share

Don't take too much notice of the 5 star reviews. They both only review Ian Levine productions and always give him 5 stars.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, Chrissie, I actually have genuine fans who buy everything I make, and derive genuine pleasure from my music. One of these guys lives in Washington State, on the West Coast of America, and his name is David Pressier, and he does really thrill to the music, even buying multiple copies for his friends.

Social source share

Never been a great fan of DR Ian - read too much negative stuff about her over the years and her voice was way too sugary for me. But "More today than yesterday" was an outstanding pop record. I even like the instrumental version on Cotillion. Are you saying the album sold on the strength of this track alone?

They didn't allow a single, and they only released purely the album, but that was the one track that they promoted as if it were a single.

And I still love her, irrelevant of whether she sold millions, or made one obscure record on some tiny label, with only two and a half known copies, that Soul Sam paid £9726.34 for.

Social source share

I'm most relieved to hear it.

This creature gives soul fans a bad name.

After yesterday's fiascos, I'm beginning to wonder if being a soul fan turns certain sections of society into blind bigots.

I'm not proud of some of our number - not proud at all.

Thank goodness for Smiffy, and Pauline, and Malc Burton, and Paul Mooney, and Reg, etc etc etc

DECENT people.

still no reason to go round calling other soul fans dog turds

maybe if you just sacked giving out the abuse then maybe wouldnt get as much back

anyway asking you to sack doing it on here

you are just inviting trouble

Social source share

Maybe he feels he has the same complaint about the person who always posts positive comments about your work.

Oh Chrissie.

Too much negativity creeping into your posts, dear.

As I explained, the guy you're referring to is the most genuine fan and wonderful person, who told me that my music got him through his Mother's recent death.

Now that's someone that I have care and respect for. And NONE for this other pillock.

Social source share

In your opinion..................I am not judging your work with this but at the end of the day Ian, the above statement, is only your opinion of your work.

My opinion is based on forty years of involvement with this music, and whether you agree with me or not, I think I have excellent taste in music, and I KNOW when a song is bloody good. I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant. It isn't meant to be, but I know when a song is GOOD.

Social source share

still no reason to go round calling other soul fans dog turds

maybe if you just sacked giving out the abuse then maybe wouldnt get as much back

anyway asking you to sack doing it on here

you are just inviting trouble

But this person isn't a member of Soul Source, Mike. And I was passing comment on a persistent campaign of vitriol that he's waging against me.

I asked you to let me come onto Soul Source because for years I have been attacked without directly answering back.

I welcome constructive criticism, but if criticism is destructive, or worse, made purely out of malice, then I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't fight it back.

I am trying to resist all desires to criticise the less, shall we say, "supportive" of your members, but if some nasty piece of work isn't even a member here, why shouldn't I comment on his unfounded hate campaign ???

As I'm sure you yourself are coming to realise, not all soul fans are sweet little angels.

Social source share

And I still love her, irrelevant of whether she sold millions, or made one obscure record on some tiny label, with only two and a half known copies, that Soul Sam paid £9726.34 for.

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go again - BINGO - another little dig at Soul Sam.

Why bring Sam into it when we are discussing MY opinion of Diana Ross?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go again - BINGO - another little dig at Soul Sam.

Why bring Sam into it when we are discussing MY opinion of Diana Ross?

I just couldn't help myself.

It was a mild and amusing quip, far milder and more amusing than his scathing, unreasoning, blind and blinkered review of my last album.

I seem to be defending myself much too much these days. It's very soul destroying, especially knowing you're in the midst and amongst so many people who have no love for you.

Daniel in the lion's den.

Social source share

I just couldn't help myself.

It was a mild and amusing quip, far milder and more amusing than his scathing, unreasoning, blind and blinkered review of my last album.

I seem to be defending myself much too much these days. It's very soul destroying, especially knowing you're in the midst and amongst so many people who have no love for you.

Daniel in the lion's den.

Oh stop over dramatising Ian. Daniel in the Lion's den? Pleeeez. Hardly anyone has commented on your productions for weeks now, preferring instead to allow the thread to take it's course :lol:

Anyway you should know that anything costing more than a tenner that Sam wants now will involve a part cash part trades deal - his pension doesn't allow him to spend 9k on a record. Whatever his views of your CD are, at 66 he has more energy and enthusiasm for Djing and new sounds than many far younger, and that should be recognised. Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

far milder and more amusing than his scathing, unreasoning, blind and blinkered review of my last album.

Would it be to much to just accept that he just didn't like it, maybe it didn't do it for him. Everyones taste is personal to them and just because someone doesn't agree with you that they are not necessarily wrong or right but expressing their own personal view.............god forbid :lol: ....................now what was it you called Dave Rimmer, A facist was it mmmmmmmmmmmm pots and kettles me thinks........but of course that's only my opinion :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Would it be to much to just accept that he just didn't like it, maybe it didn't do it for him.

This is Tahira Jumah.

A truly wonderful person in every way. Caring, unselfish, and has gone out of her way to find other artists for me, and has gone on TV to promote what we did together.

He said that Kylie Minogue had more soul. And this is the song he reviewed.

">
Social source share