Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

" I think I'm going out my head, I think I'm going out of my head,

Over yooou".

No!

No.

That's like listening to "It's The Same Old Song" and singing "I Can't Help Myself" over it.

They may both be coming from the same place musically, but the melody progressions are totally different.

Plus it's a lot better than some dreary dreary DREARY song where the verse, the bridge, and the chorus, are all the exact same chord progression.

Black Americans seem to have forgotten how to write a song any more, and TOTALLY, totally forgotten if the Raphael Saadiq album is anything to judge by.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

But you said yesterday you were too busy listening to soul music to take any notice of what was in the pop charts

I was, unless the pop had a soul flavour, and was beautiful and uplifting. Les also used to love "Storm In A Teacup" by The Fortunes.

Social source share

The Torchwood film crew are filming outside our office today.

Last time they were in the Port, a drug deal went wrong and an almighty bust up happened. I'm surprised they came back.

The fella next to me is a sci fi nut. I think he is going to explode with excitement.

Ian, are you going to be there? I can pop over and you can shake me by the throat ;-)

Is Russell T. Davies there ??

I produced five songs on John Barrowman in 1995.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Is Russell T. Davies there ??

I produced five songs on John Barrowman in 1995.

No idea Ian.

The guy I work with has taken a an early lunch to go over and noseybeak. I dont hold out any hope he will be back.

Just had to google to find out who Russell T. Davies is.

Social source share

No idea Ian.

The guy I work with has taken a an early lunch to go over and noseybeak. I dont hold out any hope he will be back.

Just had to google to find out who Russell T. Davies is.

I thought EVERYONE knew who Russell T. Davies is.

Just like EVERYONE knows who Frank Wilson is

(You see, boss, I brought it back on topic).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I thought EVERYONE knew who Russell T. Davies is.

Just like EVERYONE knows who Frank Wilson is

(You see, boss, I brought it back on topic).

Sorry, I am useless at film/TV/singers etc. I'm a tabloid editors worst nightmare.

BUT my credibility with Steve hit max.

S - "You know Ian levine?"

ITM - Yes of course

S - "How?"

ITM - We like some of the same music

S - "Oh"

Credibilty drops off a little. And when I uttered the words Northern Soul, he was already firing up a website with a big picture of a dalek on......

oh well, it lasted a few seconds anyway. Now I will once again just be the ginger in the corner always looking at soul on the net.

Social source share

Ian,

have you any ambition to work with any of the great producers that are still with us, namely Paul Riser, Clay Macmurray, David Vandepitte, or even Weldon Macdougall?

why doesnt someone get spyder turner in a studio?? and record him - his voice still sends me towards soul heaven

Why do you think the collarboration of "tale of two cities" project (detroit and Chicago) Failed to achieve a Soul monster? you would have thought with all that talent assembled together, ie Bobby Eli, Phill Hurtt, and some of the funk bros.etc etc that something would have been forthcoming

I was salavatating for weeks but was so disappointed at the outcome.

interested to hear the replies as always

Social source share

Ian,

have you any ambition to work with any of the great producers that are still with us, namely Paul Riser, Clay Macmurray, David Vandepitte, or even Weldon Macdougall?

why doesnt someone get spyder turner in a studio?? and record him - his voice still sends me towards soul heaven

Why do you think the collarboration of "tale of two cities" project (detroit and Chicago) Failed to achieve a Soul monster? you would have thought with all that talent assembled together, ie Bobby Eli, Phill Hurtt, and some of the funk bros.etc etc that something would have been forthcoming

I was salavatating for weeks but was so disappointed at the outcome.

interested to hear the replies as always

I have written many songs with Clay McMurray.

Below is one of them.

And didn't Carl Dixon just record Spyder Turner recently ???

">
Social source share

Ian,

And here's Weldon McDougall.

He's the one on the far left on almost all the shots.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Guest trickbag

had a tape sent to me years ago from a mate in manchester,

an interview with yourself,and it was your next big thing,best

bit was rocky revell, {spelling} cant remember the tune, what ever

happened to her.

ricky.

Social source share

had a tape sent to me years ago from a mate in manchester,

an interview with yourself,and it was your next big thing,best

bit was rocky revell, {spelling} cant remember the tune, what ever

happened to her.

ricky.

Rocq-E Harrell

She lives in Belgium now I think.

She came from LA and was Diana Ross' backing singer.

Social source share

rocky revell, {spelling} cant remember the tune, what ever

happened to her.

ricky.

There was never any video of her song, but this is the same song done by someone else.

">
Social source share

thanks ian,sounds like great modern

Please let me absorb what you're saying here.

We ARE talking about "My Heart Keeps Beating Faster", yes ??

And you say it sounds like great MODERN, yes ??

Modern WHAT ?????

If that sounds Modern, I'm from Addis Ababa.

Social source share

thanks ian,sounds like great modern,should keep

those into it happy,realy nice clip. she had a great

voice for a backing singer.

ricky.

Plus the video I put up is the version by Corine Armstrong, done for my "Yesterday And Tomorrow" album, of new interpretations of my most popular songs.

That's not the original version by Rocq-E Harrell, which, as I explained, was never on a video other than as backing music to the opening of SWONS.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

thanks ian,sounds like great modern,sounds very modern to me. should keep

those into it happy,realy nice clip.Rocq-E Harrell she had a great

voice for a backing singer.

should have explained myself better.

ricky.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

i know its not the original, i have it on tape somewhere thats why i asked the question in the first place

think it was recorded on jazz fm or picadilly radio ten or twelve years ago.

ricky.

Social source share

thanks ian,sounds like great modern,sounds very modern to me.

I don't think it sounds remotely modern.

The beat is classic Sixties Northern.

The bassline is reminiscent of Willie Hutch, "The Duck".

Social source share

can i ask your input on frances nero's comments in an interview. - she'd like some money from 'Footsteps' - remember that number one you had that she didnt get a penny from (alegedly) :ohmy: many of those artists from the motor city label are rather sore with you mr Levine or so they say.

I have no opinion as I'm not really into drum synth pop music. but im interested in your comments on paying those artists, or the lack of.

Edited by Soultime Promotions
Social source share

can i ask your input on frances nero's comments in an interview. - she'd like some money from 'Footsteps' - remember that number one you had that she didnt get a penny from (alegedly) many of those artists from the motor city label are rather sore with you mr Levine or so they say.

I have no opinion as I'm not really into drum synth pop music. but im interested in your comments on paying those artists, or the lack of.

Frances Nero is not owed one single penny.

She made far far FAR more money out of Footsteps than I did.

And "number one"??????? - don't be so obtuse.

All the Motorcity artists earned money and your coments verge on libel.

I would gladly go into further detail, but your pathetic comment "I have no opinion as I'm not really into drum synth pop music" has left me with no desire whatsoever to enter into further comment with anyone with your disgraceful and disrespectful attitude.

Goodbye to you. I have nothing else to say to you.

Social source share

And kindly take this "drum synth pop music", and shove it where the sun don't shine.

">
Social source share

can i ask your input on frances nero's comments in an interview. - she'd like some money from 'Footsteps' - remember that number one you had that she didnt get a penny from (alegedly) smile.gif many of those artists from the motor city label are rather sore with you mr Levine or so they say.

How do you think things like studio time, production and record pressing facilities are paid for? They have to be paid before any profit can be shown. And Ian has already explained the Frances Nero situation on part 1 of the thread. And she's bloody lucky someone recorded her, remind me how many records she made after Keep On Loving Me?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

How do you think things like studio time, production and record pressing facilities are paid for? They have to be paid before any profit can be shown. And Ian has already explained the Frances Nero situation on part 1 of the thread.

I did indeed, Pete.

Very carefully and patiently.

Both Ian Dewhirst and Paul Mooney backed up everything I said.

It's all too easy for people to take pot shots, looking to score a quick point, when in reality they're talking out of their arse, and causing trouble at the same time that is both wrong and unnecessary.

I still believe a certain high profile Detroit "fan" was the very person who filled Bobby Taylor's mind with so much poison.

There are some really despicable people around on this "wonderful" scene of ours, and that's the reason why I go through periods of steering cleqr of it.

I very much appreciate the common sense facts that you stated above, and I thank you for it.

Social source share

And she's bloody lucky someone recorded her, remind me how many records she made after Keep On Loving Me?

Not one.

For twenty three entire years.

She did three tours of England, being paid well to appear in literally HUNDREDS of clubs.

She got paid decent fees for appearing on Wogan, Top Of The Pops, and The Hit Man And Her (twice).

While I never made a cent back.

Social source share

I did indeed, Pete.

Very carefully and patiently.

Both Ian Dewhirst and Paul Mooney backed up everything I said.

It's all too easy for people to take pot shots, looking to score a quick point, when in reality they're talking out of their arse, and causing trouble at the same time that is both wrong and unnecessary.

I still believe a certain high profile Detroit "fan" was the very person who filled Bobby Taylor's mind with so much poison.

There are some really despicable people around on this "wonderful" scene of ours, and that's the reason why I go through periods of steering cleqr of it.

I very much appreciate the common sense facts that you stated above, and I thank you for it.

leave Him out of it , it's nothing to do with Him , in fact he does stick up for you and I've seen and heard it myself , and I know he did not posion Bobby towards you , I begged and begged Bobby to speak to you when you called when I was with Bobby , as when I've been In detroit with him and frances together he clearly states you owe nothing to her .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

leave Him out of it , it's nothing to do with Him , in fact he does stick up for you and I've seen and heard it myself , and I know he did not posion Bobby towards you , I begged and begged Bobby to speak to you when you called when I was with Bobby , as when I've been In detroit with him and francis together he clearly states you owe nothing to her .

Are we talking about the same person here ?????

The one who said all that stuff in Manifesto ????

Social source share

Not one.

For twenty three entire years.

She did three tours of England, being paid well to appear in literally HUNDREDS of clubs.

She got paid decent fees for appearing on Wogan, Top Of The Pops, and The Hit Man And Her (twice).

While I never made a cent back.

Agree with Ian she got paid for performances and she got paid for recording the track $3.000 if I remember rightly , all the recording artist's got contracts and Ian did pay them the agree fee when they recorded the tracks .

Social source share

Also forgot to mention Footsteps never got to Number 1 although it sold very well and she as her silver plated 45 hanging proudly in her house which was presented to her .

That was given her as a bit of publicity to look good on the Joan Rivers show. It wasn't a proper BPI award.

The record was number 17 and sold no more than 40,000, and I never got paid for those anyway.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Ian can I ask you about Eddie Kendricks?

I read somewhere that he was going to record for Motorcity Records and actually checked in at the hotel prior to the session, before deciding not to participate, and flew back home.

What songs had you in mind for Eddie to record?

Did any of the songs that you had in mind for Eddie ever get recorded by any other artists?

Social source share

Agree with Ian she got paid for performances and she got paid for recording the track $3,000 if I remember rightly , all the recording artist's got contracts and Ian did pay them the agree fee when they recorded the tracks .

If I'd paid three thousand dollars for every song, then 850 songs would have cost me $2,500,000.00

Plus HUGE studio bills. At United Sound Studios, then at Masterpiece Studios, and at Entourage in Hollywood, we had two studios in each location on the go round the clock.

Plus several hundred two inch master tapes at £100 each.

Plus the FedEx costs to ship them to Detroit and Los Angeles

Plus air fares and hotel bills for six people. Plus their wages.

Plus studio engineers.

Plus the fee I paid to my arranger for each of 850 songs.

Plus the fees for the backing vocals, which was HUGE.

Instead of costing a couple of million, Motorcity would have cost ten million in the end.

It lost everything I had earned from my million sellers in the 1980s, plus everything my Mother owned, plus a million and a half owing to the bank.

In other words, A COMPLETE BLEEDIN' DISASTER.

So then, after it all subsided in tears, I had hits with Take That in the nineties.

Then ploughed eighty grand into SWONS.

If anyone wants to question my dedication to Soul Music, let them do it to my face.

And you wonder why I FLARE UP, if some tosser accuses me of ripping off the poor artists.

Social source share

Ian can I ask you about Eddie Kendricks?

I read somewhere that he was going to record for Motorcity Records and actually checked in at the hotel prior to the session, before deciding not to participate, and flew back home.

What songs had you in mind for Eddie to record?

Did any of the songs that you had in mind for Eddie ever get recorded by any other artists?

We had to fly him into Detroit first class, round trip.

We put him up at The St. Regis.

He ordered thousands of dollars on room service. In his room he left a dozen oysters on the half shell, and a bottle of Dom Perignon, which he opened and poured into glasses but never bothered to drink, and just left them lying round his room when he checked out.

He spent our money but wouldn't record, and left without a word, just a HUGE room service bill.

Bobby Taylor and I wrote "Talk To The World" for him, and Ronnie McNeir, Obie Benson, and I wrote "I'm Dedicating My Love" for him.

Pete Hoorelbeke from rare Earth ended up singing the first, and Ronnie McNeir himself sang the second.

Dennis Edwards had a first class ticket also, but cashed it in at the airport and walked off with the money.

And I dare not tell you the trick David Ruffin tried with Mattie at United Sound, over three and a half thousand dollars, but she was too quick and too savvy for him.

Mary Wilson took eighteen thousand dollars and never sang her album.

Martha Reeves took ten thousand dollars and did the same.

The Supremes and Rick Gianatos between them took twenty four thousand dollars and the album never got made.

I am sick and tired of covering up for artists just because we are supposed to respect them.

Social source share

We had to fly him into Detroit first class, round trip.

We put him up at The St. Regis.

He ordered thousands of dollars on room service. In his room he left a dozen oysters on the half shell, and a bottle of Dom Perignon, which he opened and poured into glasses but never bothered to drink, and just left them lying round his room when he checked out.

He spent our money but wouldn't record, and left without a word, just a HUGE room service bill.

Bobby Taylor and I wrote "Talk To The World" for him, and Ronnie McNeir, Obie Benson, and I wrote "I'm Dedicating My Love" for him.

Pete Hoorelbeke from rare Earth ended up singing the first, and Ronnie McNeir himself sang the second.

Dennis Edwards had a first class ticket also, but cashed it in at the airport and walked off with the money.

And I dare not tell you the trick David Ruffin tried with Mattie at United Sound, over three and a half thousand dollars, but she was too quick and too savvy for him.

Mary Wilson took eighteen thousand dollars and never sang her album.

Martha Reeves took ten thousand dollars and did the same.

The Supremes and Rick Gianatos between them took twenty four thousand dollars and the album never got made.

I am sick and tired of covering up for artists just because we are supposed to respect them.

Well i'd be dead peed off with all that mallarky.. God nows how you carried on.. You've got a very strong character, you dont give up easily do you?

P :lol:

Social source share

It sounds like a dog eat dog world you live in Sir.

Ed

Yes, unfortunately it chipped away the tarnish of some of my heroes. But I still went ahead and did SWONS nevertheless, although initially much thanks did it bring me.

But overall they're a pretty wonderful bunch, these artists. Much like Soul Source itself. A wonderful bunch but a couple of bad apples.

Pat Lewis, Marv Johnson, Popcorn Wylie, C.P. Spencer, Hattie Littles, The Flirtations, Jimmy James, Jimmy Thomas, Obie Benson, Otis Leavill, Maxine Brown, Kim Weston.

Some of the most wonderful and loyal people I have ever been privileged and blessed to meet in my entire life.

Social source share

Well i'd be dead peed off with all that mallarky.. God nows how you carried on.. You've got a very strong character, you dont give up easily do you?

No my dear Pauline. I never give up. Which is why some people,get so frustrated with me.

It was the same when I found the missing Doctor Who episodes that I tracked down in the 1980s. I wouldn't give up, even against all odds, and reduced the number missing from 153 to 108.

But many people resent such a pushy attitude, and not everyone co-operates.

Social source share

Well i'd be dead peed off with all that mallarky.. God nows how you carried on.

I watched my five test discs of our wonderful amazing new box set, and got goosebumps, and chills, and I realised why I did it.

If I hadn't, it would never have existed, and I WANTED it to happen. I WANTED all our heroes and heroines on one package.

And despite the expense and the grief, I got my wish.

Social source share

I watched my five test discs of our wonderful amazing new box set, and got goosebumps, and chills, and I realised why I did it.

If I hadn't, it would never have existed, and I WANTED it to happen. I WANTED all our heroes and heroines on one package.

And despite the expense and the grief, I got my wish.

Well I am looking forward to that lot arriving, and I also ordered the 2007 + 2008 CDs to listen to on the school run each day! (even tho' I get 'Is that northern soul on again mum'?, anything different?!!)

P :lol:

Social source share

If I'd paid three thousand dollars for every song, then 850 songs would have cost me $2,500,000.00

Plus HUGE studio bills. At United Sound Studios, then at Masterpiece Studios, and at Entourage in Hollywood, we had two studios in each location on the go round the clock.

Plus several hundred two inch master tapes at £100 each.

Plus the FedEx costs to ship them to Detroit and Los Angeles

Plus air fares and hotel bills for six people. Plus their wages.

Plus studio engineers.

Plus the fee I paid to my arranger for each of 850 songs.

Plus the fees for the backing vocals, which was HUGE.

Instead of costing a couple of million, Motorcity would have cost ten million in the end.

It lost everything I had earned from my million sellers in the 1980s, plus everything my Mother owned, plus a million and a half owing to the bank.

In other words, A COMPLETE BLEEDIN' DISASTER.

So then, after it all subsided in tears, I had hits with Take That in the nineties.

Then ploughed eighty grand into SWONS.

If anyone wants to question my dedication to Soul Music, let them do it to my face.

And you wonder why I FLARE UP, if some tosser accuses me of ripping off the poor artists.

I don't wonder why you Flare up and I'm not saying you paid all Artist's $3.000 per recording , I could find out in more detail but I don't want to , Nothing to do with me , just keep on what your doing Making great Music and I keep telling you Take no notice of the slaggers and be proud of the Motorcity.

Social source share

Well I am looking forward to that lot arriving, and I also ordered the 2007 + 2008 CDs to listen to on the school run each day! (even tho' I get 'Is that northern soul on again mum'?, anything different?!!)

Oooooh you are FABULOUS.

Please please please, can't there be more like you ??

You might also enjoy this too...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Forget-Motor-...9761&sr=8-1

Social source share

I don't wonder why you Flare up and I'm not saying you paid all Artist's $3.000 per recording , I could find out in more detail but I don't want to , Nothing to do with me , just keep on what your doing Making great Music and I keep telling you Take no notice of the slaggers and be proud of the Motorcity.

I am.

I just get angry at malicious falsehoods when I know how it almost cost me my house.

Social source share

Ian I do know and understand how you feel , heres another great track which I don't think you've talked about - -

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Another one when I first heard it , loved it , always chatting to Chuck ( Charles Davis) about it .

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

No my dear Pauline. I never give up. Which is why some people,get so frustrated with me.

It was the same when I found the missing Doctor Who episodes that I tracked down in the 1980s. I wouldn't give up, even against all odds, and reduced the number missing from 153 to 108.

I seem to remember you calling by my parent's place to see me just after I got back from the states in late 1976 (I played you the Shalamar acetate). I remember mentioning to my dear departed mum that you liked your food, so she whipped up her special Chicken & Mushroom flan which I think you devoured with relish.

But I'm sure you were actually on the way to pick up a Dr Who episode from Carlisle or somewhere?

The same single-mindedness was evident back then. It's a unique attribute which can often be a pain in the ass to a lot of people but I think you've always been pretty straightforward about your obsessions. I think you play by your own rules and refuse to get sidetracked by interference patterns, which a lot of people probably perceive as arrogance but I think it's because you don't like wasting time and prefer to get the job done.

Which you have. Well done mate! I'm proud of you.

If this brings about a re-evaluation of much of your work, that would be no bad thing. I independently found the J.J. Barnes "I've Seen The Light" and "Out Of My Mind" G.C. Cameron and played 'em both on the show before I knew they were your productions. Obviously there'll be plenty of gems in your catalogue that will re-emerge eventually.

Speaking of which, how did the Sidney Barnes "Standing On Solid Ground" emerge? I hear it started naturally so I'm curious as to how that record evolved onto the Northern scene............

Ian D :lol:

Social source share